Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Five NPCs You Meet In Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2018 :  02:15:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

Nalvvyn Royalhorn (LG HM F8)
Master (captain) of the Seafang, a raker of the naval guard. Nalvvyn, a former officer in the Tethyrian navy, gained his post after the former captain (and indeed, the entire crew) of the raker was slaughtered at the outset of the Battle of Waterdeep Harbor. Despite the best efforts of the priesthoods of Kelemvor and Valkur, the restless spirits of the former crew still arise and walk the ship on the anniversary of their deaths, making a posting to the Seafang unappealing to most of the men of the Naval Guard.

Hmmm, and it seems that a certain drow mage-priestess of Kiaransalee has taken notice of rumors about this ship. She's been making inquiries as to the exact date of this anniversary.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2018 :  19:58:19  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Seems like she's going to need another spelljamming helm soon. And a name, too.

==================================================

ECHOES in UNDERMOUNTAIN
(As you peer forth in the dim torchlight, you see something inscribed here upon the wall)

There lies poor Andever
rather braver than clever
fell in a pit
spikes lined withit
And skewered, from shin to chin

As I rest here on this rough ledge
I scrawl a prayer for those who once traversed these Halls
To those who met death and were devoured in the dark
Look kindly to me, for I fear I may join you soon

(on the wall a trail-rune for safe-haven)

Not as safe as they thought
(written underneath in drow script)

Black and blue
And flame-seared too
A fine adventurer stew

(scrawled in Ogrish)

Here Torzald Orcsbane earned his name
Six orcs hewn here by my blade
Let all Faerūn sing my praise

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2018 :  19:59:00  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Sacred Swords (of The Wargod)
A prestigious and proud order tasked with defending the doors of Tempusan temples, and the holy relics and interred heroes within. Circles of elder members are said to be capable of performing a religious blood ceremony to summon the spectral swordwraiths of fallen faithful in time of direst need. Their Symbol is Two Crossed Swords over a Mailed Fist; their Motto is "In Battle Unmov'd, In Valor Wreath'd." Grandmaster of the Order: Hadarajyn of Memnon. Other notable members (seperate entries in italics): Black Baraun, Hammadan Hornshelm, Sammar Grevenglaive, Tlabbas the Stout, Tyndrul the Scarred.

Sęlduskra (Say-ll-DUSK-ra)
The Last Great Star of the Morn. Elven cavalier of legend. Fell in battle near the Star Mounts, engaged in combat with the great wyrm Klauth the Red Ruin. Her sword Ilmatara, "The Blade That Suffers No Other" (an intelligent sword +4, defender), disappeared along with her remains.

Saevarae (LN HF Exp)
Owner of Saevarae's Fastfoods, one of the more popular "evenfast-while-you-wait" services in the city (The High Road, north of Waymoot, South Ward). Constantly bustling about great steaming cauldrons while singing verses from "The Forlorn Knight at the Gardens of Sune." Aided by her two cooks, the rail-thin Aleric and the heavy-set Boon Hook-Handed.

Saevaruuhl "Hurl-Spells" (CE HM W)
A twisted, misshapen mageling. His pale, translucent skin reveals a webwork of overlarge veins that pulse and throb horribly. Rumored to be tainted with lizardfolk or yuan-ti blood (and the ability to form one or both of his arms into long, scaled, wickedly-taloned claws). A former apprentice of the mage Maaril and currently (due to his arcane prowess and easily manipulated nature) the prize faithful of the House of Hidden Watchfulness (a hidden subterranean shrine to Gargauth).

The Sahuagin Club
One of a number of backroom societies and deepcellar cults that popped up in the aftermath of the Battle of Waterdeep Harbor (such as the Blue Crests, the Deepwaters, The Cult of Tide and Time and the Neritic Society, to name the most prominent). Most quickly fell to disinterest or to the cudgels of the Watch after their first human sacrifice but the Sahuagins remain, bolstered by the membership of a number of wealthy shipping lords (who use the club parlors to reach deals questionable even by the loose standards of the Master Mariners Guild) and by the blessing of the high priest of Umberlee Meiritid Archneie (who has parlayed their coffers into generous donations and patronage for his own projects). The chair of the society, handpicked by the Wavelord, is Jastarl Immer; handsome, charismatic and quite fond of the mystery and theater that accompany the "sacred rituals" of the club.

Saldremor Rivryn
Proprietor of Rivryn's Blades and Sharpenings (west-front Gaustus Street, Trades Ward). A great physiognomist, refuses service to those he does not like (which frequently include Hin and Amnians). [ Source: Waterdeep News: Man Wounds Self, Vanishes <wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wdn/20051116a>. Name/Description given. Additional detail by me. ]

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 28 Nov 2018 20:00:36
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2018 :  06:11:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA
Seems like she's going to need another spelljamming helm soon. And a name, too.

Yeah, I heard from someone that she's been specifically hunting around Nimbral in hopes of capturing another helm. Also, oddly enough.... due to some strange magical effect, she's forgotten her own name ever since 1377 DR. Oh, did I forget to mention that she's a drow lich who attained her lichdom via divine magic rather than her arcane side? She had actually performed her lich ritual in the presence of Kiaransalee's avatar its said. Hmmm, I wonder....

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2018 :  22:56:29  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sleyvas, is that a chosen I smell?

So....she needs the spelljammers to spread her terror across all Faerūn. She names herself "Kiaransalee," and through her nefarious misdeeds gets everyone talking about her, and then in a great ritual she goes to the lost temple of Ereshkigal, siphons all the negative energies of her gathered legions of undead into her, and from her body out pops the goddess reborn. One way to explain Kiaransalee's return to the 5E Realms? (or has that already been done?)

Flabrum the Bold (CN HM Adp6 of Azuth)
A "small-spells" hedge mage. Also known as "Onion-Bellows" (for the flavor and loudness of his general conversation) and, more simply, as "Flabrum the Mage." Well known to most tavern-going citizens of the Blackcobbles neighborhood of Dock Ward. Rotund, swarthy, constantly-sweating, and broad-featured. He keeps his balding pate hidden under a broad-brimmed, rather shapeless hat, and his considerable bulk concealed under voluminous, grease-stained and well-patched robes. Claims to have once been the pupil of the great Amnian mage Tholaert "Thunderstrikes."

Flaeros Falrumph
Author of Flaeros' Travelogue of the Astral Ethers (1249DR). Given his discussions of "exiled and doomed peoples of Netheril" and "wretched spirits bound and scourged with punishments," it seems likely that he invented much of his journeys out of whole cloth.

Flaerra Hlarmmaster
A member of the Watchful Order and noted tale-spell (workers-of-Art hired by wealthy nobles and merchantry to accompany a spoken performance with subtle illusionry. As a central bard or orator narrates, their magics accent the performance with ghostly echoes, the faint clash of steel, the wind in the trees, a gull at sea. Sometimes, such as with a telling of The Vineyards of Mrin, certain olfactory imaginings are also used. Such phantasms are minor magics at best, but the art of intertwining them with the flow of the story is a difficult one, and Flaerra, as most other respected tale-spells, has had extensive tutelage at the bards college of New Olamn). Often paired with the master Hin vocalist, Beltho Justbuck.

Beltho Justbuck
Fair-haired, steady blue eyes. Master Hin vocalist. Often paired with the tale-spell Flaerra Hlarmmaster. Speaks sparingly when not engaged in his profession, but loves to listen.

Fletcher "Fletch" Linklyn (CN HaM F5/T9)
A member of the Knights Errant adventuring fellowship. Born to Hin parents in Baldur's Gate, the third of seven children. He escaped the tyranny of his father's shoemaking business by stowing aboard the Whitecap Dancer, a caraval bound for Waterdeep. Once in the City of Splendors he was almost ensnared by the ordinary yet again (this time by his uncle Fharan, a wine far-trader), but managed to fall in with the Knights Errant, an itinerant group of young sellswords. A brash, energetic, silver-tongued scoundrel with a curious gift for insulting the wrong people at the wrong times (it has been said that he was cursed by Beshaba at some point). He met his doom fighting Unseen infiltrators in the Palace, run through by a mirrorkin that took the shape of his lover, the gnome Lustral Blackalblade. His magic items, including a pair of winged boots and the sword Swiftsting (a shortsword of quickness +2), are now in the service of Halvas "Halfhand," Jaster Winterwink, and a number of other young Hin bravos in the city, all of whom regard him as a famous hero of legend.

The Flouncing Flames
Murlandra, Vurtha, Thyleera. Trio of festhall dancers, commonly found at the Blushing Mermaid. Incorporate a large amount of fire into their act (juggled torches, blazing hoops, fire breathing and swallowing, etc.). Know the secrets of alchemical powders that turn their flames various colorful hues. Slather their bodies in glistening jellies to enhance their sex appeal and to retard the flames. When they perform the lights at the Mermaid are doused, each table only lit by a communal pot of flaming zzar.

Flaern Cragsmere (CN HM F3) [ Source: Ruins of Undermountain: Undermountain Adventures, p.19 and City of Splendors: Who's Who In Waterdeep, p.87. Name/Description given ]

Flugel Ratanion [ Source: The Advanced Dungeons & Dragons comic book. Name/Description given ]

Flying Falcons Coster [ Source: Waterdeep News: Nobles Demand Halt to Sale of Paintings <archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wdn/20060510a>. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2018 :  16:59:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

Sleyvas, is that a chosen I smell?

So....she needs the spelljammers to spread her terror across all Faerūn. She names herself "Kiaransalee," and through her nefarious misdeeds gets everyone talking about her, and then in a great ritual she goes to the lost temple of Ereshkigal, siphons all the negative energies of her gathered legions of undead into her, and from her body out pops the goddess reborn. One way to explain Kiaransalee's return to the 5E Realms? (or has that already been done?)

That's one way to work it. Or Ereshkigal seeks release and is sending dreams to this priestess and tricking her. Or Ereshkigal/The Raven Queen/Kiaransalee/Queen of Air and Darkness are all "related"/"spin offs" of the same being. If you wonder why I'm saying this, look at the pictures of Ereshkigal and the raven queen. Note that the raven queen and Kiaransalee are related to death and have been involve on numerous occasions with names being lost.

I actually hadn't planned it all the way through when I made her up, but I've been shooting a lot of these ideas around over the last 2 years, but it does turn this drow into a very unique and interesting NPC. Throw in that the marilith is a servant of Ereshkigal (who in 1e is listed as a demon lord in the MM2, along with her husband Nergel, who sounds a lot like Nergal of the Untheric pantheon), and maybe the goddess is using the demon on the ship as some kind of conduit. Or even the demon is just tricking the drow into freeing her mistress. Lot of spins.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

DenverJack
Seeker

16 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2018 :  02:11:17  Show Profile Send DenverJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AJA - I really like the wall inscriptions from Undermountain - great dungeon dressing!
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2018 :  00:19:44  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sleyvas, certainly are!

Thank you, DenverJack. Steven Allen on the old REALMS-L list did a long-running series of posts (well, e-mails) detailing the undescribed rooms of Undermountain, and he always included things like empty iron ration wrappers, bones and broken weapons, detritus from all the thousands to walk the halls before your PCs. Made Undermountain seem more "lived in." That dungeon dressing is the same thing I was going for with the wall graffitti.

(EDIT: well, that and Ed's room descriptions from the original RoU box, I should say)

Faerus "Oldsmoke" Thundivver (Thun as "thunder," Divver as in "divvy [up]")
Stout, prosperous cheeks and belly. Red bushy eyebrows and red craggy face. Good-natured, charitable. Proprietor of The Bird of the Difficult Eye (jeweler's shop, named after the legendary creature that lays eggs of emerald), Mulgomir's Way, Castle Ward. A preferred contact of the Palace when they need medals, blazons or other ceremonial trinkets created.

The Fairflanks Society
Chaired by the noble Horingar Nandar, who founded it to satisfy his specific sexual fetish; half-elves. "Half as Fair, Twice as Willing" is their rather crude unofficial motto. Members avail themselves of the services (entirely sexual in some way, either physical or visual) of attractive half-blooded males and (mostly) females. They also sit around their parlor conversing and drinking while being served and waited on by similar scantly-clad halfbreeds.

Falesker Fandro
Reclusive spellcaster and member of the Watchful Order. Has amassed a small fortune and some degree of infamy from the Gemcutters and Stonemasons guilds by developing methods to magically strengthen and fortify stone, healing fine cracks or break lines and making those varieties that are brittle or prone to splintering more pliant and therefore easier to carve or cut. Such stones still require a modicum of knowledge to shape, but Fandro's enchantments have greatly cut down the amount of wasted material used by the city's artisans. Has turned away generous offers of gold to share his methods. Travels only with heavy guard, a result of grevious threats from the gemsmiths of Neverwinter and the dwarven stonecutters of Mirabar.

Faraer
The Lorewise, The Unbenighted. A fabled scholar of unknown birthplace and nationality (the name Faraer, like Wanlorn, an old folk name for an assumed identity). Believed to hold a special fondness for the Dalelands region. Claimed by the churches of both Ilmater (as a Sainted Hand of Suffering, one of several celebrated "Saints" of the faith) and Oghma (as The Puissant Voice of Reason, a unique title and office created solely in recognition of his tireless forays against the grievous hordes). Believed to still wander the wilderness of Faerūn, fighting against the endless tides of the ignorant and the ill-informed.

Faran
Bardling, tavern staple and Red Sash member. Claims to know all "the demihuman classics," but prefers simple Hin farming limericks like "The Red Apple" and "Lanny's Lass." Willing to hire on as a henchman, at least for local forays. Decent shot with the shortbow.

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 02 Dec 2018 00:59:56
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2018 :  01:24:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, I'm still intrigued with the Anadian halflings down in Manshaka. I'm picturing them coming here and finding all these hin females that they consider sweetly friendly and dumb. I can see them setting themselves up with a harem in Manshaka of halflings. Not many other races mind you, because they consider them inferior, but they may have some gnome females, etc.. as well. I don't know why the idea of a halfling with his own harem is interesting to me, but it is. If it were human, it would seem absolutely normal in my mind.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5339 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2018 :  04:24:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

Faraer
The Lorewise, The Unbenighted. A fabled scholar of unknown birthplace and nationality (the name Faraer, like Wanlorn, an old folk name for an assumed identity). Believed to hold a special fondness for the Dalelands region. Claimed by the churches of both Ilmater (as a Sainted Hand of Suffering, one of several celebrated "Saints" of the faith) and Oghma (as The Puissant Voice of Reason, a unique title and office created solely in recognition of his tireless forays against the grievous hordes). Believed to still wander the wilderness of Faerūn, fighting against the endless tides of the ignorant and the ill-informed.

I see what you did here.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2018 :  05:39:51  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We can't all be dragons, George.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2018 :  16:55:10  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Jhesendryl (LN HM War3/T1)
"Blind Jhesen." A hiresword once famed for his part in plundering the Netherese ruin known as Benduvhael's Crypt. Lost the use of his eyes in an unsanctioned duel with the noble Venzan Margaster. He now earns coin begging in the Court of the White Bull, and runs errands for Bhellummus, the Night Master of the kitchens of New Olamn. Usually keeps company with the alley-cats Celaunta ("Blue-Tail") and Viirth ("Silent-Eyes"). A confidant of the gnome Lustral Blackalbane.

Jhessae "Jhesshawk" Spanglefoot (CG HaF [Tallfellow] P of Mielikki)
Long-Walker, Blackthistle (for the bristly, untamed and uncombed tangle of dark hair that perches atop her head). Black-haired, hook-nosed and hawk-eyed. Smiles and scowls with equal ease. Known to most within the hin community surrounding Snail Street; when in the city prefers long, quiet fireside puffs on her pipe and long, thorough ilabbask ("littledagger," acupuncture) southern foot massages. Has no patience for fools or authorities (indeed, believes them to be one and the same). Often flips loose coin and candies to little hinlings who come seeking her. Still the only halfling female to play the part of Old Carvas (a human gift-giving tradition increasingly co-opted by the Hin of the city) during the winter celebrations. "Grey mentor" (godparent) to Jhessadail Bramblebranch and inspiration for the Blackthistles, an enthusiastic fellowship of seven young halflings of both sexes who have pledged their swords and promised to one day range into the wilds with her.

Jhuln "Longworm"
A Dock Ward banner (male prostitute) and occasional bullyblade for local debt-collectors. Sharp nose and chin, once finely-toned body now softened by age and drink. Named for a rather impressive endowment, which keeps him in coin despite his fading looks. Works the alleys of the Ward and at the Mermaid's Arms. Lover of the festhall downdancer Tasseled Trintha.

Jhundeene
The Junhydra. The feared mage-assassin of the Gildeggh family. Tall and gaunt. Shrouded in heavy cloaks and robes over silvered chainmail. Wore a featureless metal facemask seized from one of the Hidden Lords she slew during the rise of the Lords-Magister. Her title came from the many certain deaths that she returned from (feats aided by a ring of regeneration and certain contingency magics). Wielded The Assassin's Blade, an enchanted sword that functioned similarly to a mirror of life-trapping. The Assassin's Blade was lost during the duel against the swordsmen Durnan and Baeron that led to the Junhydra's final doom, and was never recovered. It is still believed to hold the souls of several of her victims, including the Masked Lords Thereldoon and Barunhelm, the mage Alethcanter, and Mirsthann "The Bloody," first cousin of Ehlemm Zoar.

Jhusper Jamblejack (NG HaM Ra4)
A (largely retired) member of the Shields of Snail Street adventuring fellowship. Hails from Hawthorne Hedge, a small hamlet centered around a fortified temple of Cyrrollalee in the Purple Hills of Tethyr. He now makes a living as a caravan outrider for the Six Coffers Market Priakos. Keeps a room at Luthlannan's Lamp, a boarding house off of Melinter's Court.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2018 :  22:35:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

Faran
Bardling, tavern staple and Red Sash member. Claims to know all "the demihuman classics," but prefers simple Hin farming limericks like "The Red Apple" and "Lanny's Lass." Willing to hire on as a henchman, at least for local forays. Decent shot with the shortbow.

Lanny's Lass? Sung to the tune of Danny's Girl?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2018 :  01:03:56  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Anne Murray? I had to look it up. I never knew that was the name of that song. Better that than Jesse's Girl, I suppose. Also, I should have wrote "folk songs" instead of "limericks."

Dzavar Brazenbold (CN HM T4/P2 of Tymora)
One half (along with the dwarf Feldroon Boldhammer) of the "Bold Brigands," a well-known pair of local ne'er-do-wells, rakehells, and Harper-friends. Swift-tongued, charismatic, darkly handsome. Lost his right hand (and half a forearm) to The Devil's Lacunae, an intelligent sphere of annihilation, in the sewers under the ruins of spell-sundered Ascore. Wields the blade Ansarash (ONN-sah-rash), "The Tooth of Winter."

Feldroon Boldhammer (CG DM F5)
One half (along with the thief-priest Dzavar Brazenbold) of the "Bold Brigands," a well-known pair of local ne'er-do-wells, rakehells, and Harper-friends. Auburn hair (braided in back and oiled, forked beard in front), predatory gap-toothed grin. Warm-hearted, quick to anger, equally quick to forgive. Master of off-color Dock Ward chanties and limericks, and roars the dirtiest ones at the top of his lungs when in combat.

Dzharast the Red
Malarite lord who led a doomed war of rebellion against the Duke of Calandor. After his final defeat at the Battle of the Brightspar he submitted his loyalists, on condition that their lives be spared and surrendered his horn, which summoned fear and terror and the things that hunt in the night (afterwards known as the Harrying Horn of Calandor). As for Dzharast himself, he declared that he would not live caged and cowered, and then threw himself into the surrounding ring of the Duke's armsmen, where he died what is deemed as an honorable death by those of his faith. His surrender is famously depicted in Dzharast Bending the Knee, the great painting which currently hangs in the Greeting Hall of House Cassalantar.

Dzijadah el Sūneh
"Brighteyes." Lush-figured, long dark untamed hair. Confident and arrogant, occasionally startlingly cruel. An infamous cantatrice (an accomplished female singer, often a soloist). Caused a minor scandal in highborn circles when she was discovered engaging in illegal street races with her stallion Sweet Silver (gray, fast, and fearless in jumping). Persistant rumor claims she is a were-dragon or other shapeshifter.

Dzunbril Tsharthros (LE HM Aris3/W9)
A recent arrival to the city. Dzunbril claims to have been unfairly exiled from Turmish by enemies of a rival noble house. He has set up his household in a Sea Ward villa, and seems determined to buy or curry favor with as many of the city's highborns as possible, for some unknown agenda. His sharp, handsome features and forked, well-oiled beard have caused quite a commotion among the noble ladies of the city, but many whisper his charming manner hides an arrogant and scheming (and quite magically adept) nature.

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 05 Dec 2018 01:04:25
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2018 :  18:20:43  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Saltwrack
Ancient legends speak of an offspring of Umberlee, born unwanted and drowned, which pulled itself to the surface and to sentience. Where Umberlee demanded men fear her and sent killing waves against them, the Saltwrack sent them visions of vast schools of fish and rainbow shoals and said, Come to me, Come to me. When Umberlee raged and tossed and tore at the puny wooden vessels men made to ride upon her flanks, the Saltwrack sang of distant verdant shores and treasures unknown, and said, Come to me, Come to me. And men heeded this siren song, and the aequoreal fiend grew evermore powerful.

So powerful, in fact, that Pelagial Umberlee grew afraid, and in her desperation turned to an unlikely ally for succor; the overwatching moon-goddess Selūne, Bright and Shining. And Selūne in turn wrought a guarantee from Umberlee; as payment for dealing with her wayward offspring, the Bitch-Queen of the Ocean Blue would temper her furies and suffer men of sufficient strength and courage to ride upon her tempestuous back.

And so, the bargain struck, Selūne used her waxing flanks to blind the Saltwrack, and her waning crescents to spear its' flesh with her hook'd heavenly barbs. And the Saltwrack was brought low and brought to heel, and then imprisoned in the depths of a far lake of molten silver and starstuff. And Umberlee upheld her bargain, and thus began the great Age of Sail, as heroes such as Valkur Wave-Sailor, and Talaphan and Balduran and Helm Hard Alee all took to the seas. But it is said that the drowned and deposed demon still stirs restlessly from its' godly prison, whispering to men in their discontent and slumber, and singing Come to me, Come to me.

Sammar Grevenglaive (LN HM F)
An Entever (captain) of the Sacred Swords (the religious order tasked with defending the doors of the House of Heroes). Has green eyes, a crooked nose, and a lion-like mane of golden hair. Confident in his own abilities (sometimes to the point of making impetuous duels or challenges), and condescending to anyone outside of the Tempusan heirarchy (even members of other martial orders). He bears the Bright Star Shield, a +3 Elembaran relic which can be commanded to emit a bluish-white glow (illumination equal to lantern light); to disrupt both infravision and ultravision on all who view it within a 120' radius; and, in the hands of a true adherent of Tempus, to bring forth holy radiance that acts as a mace of disruption, 3x/day.

Sammardoun Hearthsfire
A dwarven "hearthmaster" (hire-chef). Currently in service to the kitchens of the Brossfeather noble clan. Fond of brandishing a meat cleaver in one hand, and a heavily-engraved hornwood pipe in the other. Married to (and constantly browbeaten by) Haegara Hearthsfire (LN DF Sor3), a universally-acclaimed "many-mouthed, dark-eyed, thunder-voiced witch." His most noted cookery achievement is a "phoenix egg," an oversized ovular shell enchanted by his wife to burst into flame and sparkling pyrotechnics, revealing multicolored sugary pastries stacked within.

Sammur Binglebelt
A founding member of the Shields of Snail Street adventuring fellowship and prolific author (his 1354DR mystery The Seaswealth Tale is still one of the most popular chapbooks in the city). Also wrote the (slightly true) memoir An Adventure of Consequence (1349DR) and its (mostly true) follow-up An Unpleasant Encounter (1353DR), the latter of which was full of thinly-veiled references to the doings and plottings of the city nobility, and most likely led to his suspicious death in 1355DR.

Sammwish Hornbuckle
Hin author of As I Heard Them (1337DR) a collection of wise sayings and ruminations on the nature of life. "Always take what favor the gods send, when they send it. 'Tis unsafe to wait a second offer."

Sambral the Soothsayer [ Source: Waterdeep News: Ghost Sightings <wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wdn/20061108a>. Name given ]

Sambryn and Ansilvra Wynkwinter [ Source: "The Game Wizards: Volo Goes to Town," Ed Greenwood, Dragon Magazine #190, p.82. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2018 :  22:46:30  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"Hardcoin" Hobondur
Waterdhavian commander during the Dragonspear War. Named for his miserly spending on equipment and supplies, and his fierce forced marches. Died on the end of a bone devil's spear when the infernal forces overran the Waterdhavian encampment at Twaybridge.

Hargauth of Amn
The Hell-Roarer. A renowned martialist at the Field of Triumph. Held a record of 21-4-9 (the number nine denoting draws, including a singularly epic bout against Narimdra "the Gold Tiger" of Tharsult) before retiring. These days, "Hell Roaring" Hargauth draws coin as a fighting instructor at the Field, and from a lifetime stipend paid for by the church of Tempus.

Hargham the Tusked
A battle-blade of Tempus. Tall, heavily-built. Deeply-lined face, high forehead. Bald head, bushy eyebrows, snub nose. Wears a suit of Tethan platemail with a great helm fashioned in the shape of a tusked boar's head (platemail +1, bulls strength 1x/day). Last fought for the First Speaker of Nesmé against Uthgardt raiders; currently considering either an offer for training the Loudwater "gauntlets," or some manner of banditry along the Delimbiyr Vale.

Harglum Hommorhorn
Gnomish stonweworker. Proprietor of Hommorhorn's Masterful Carvings and Stone Finework (Trades Ward). Produces and sells a variety of cosmetic stonework; carved stone 'beast-face' downspouts; lintels and arches framed with etched climbing vines or repeating 'monster-and-slayers' friezes; and fenceposts topped with ornate points or orbs or family crests (not the fences themselves though, those must be contracted elsewhere – perhaps with his good friend, the human stoneworker Sarelgus Dhemmurth, three doors down). Aided by two sons and a daughter, and three additional apprentices (two humans and a dwarf, Athalda Strongmallet – one of the rare dwarves who would actually deign to be taught stonecrafting by a gnome).

Hargrim Hammersready
Half-drunk bullyblade. Well known in Black Well Court. Accosts passerby, threatens them with violence if they refuse his contest-of-arms. Usually accompanied by several street urchins who make cat-calls and lewd suggestions to any women who pass by.

Harkyl the Ghosteye
Career sellsword and mercinary captain. Died at Dragonspear Castle. Author of The Armsmen (1340DR), a well-regarded self-accounting of mercinary life and general warfare in the Western Heartlands. "Where gold compels, steel complies."

Hardro Malather (LE HM Exp2) [ Source: A 04/06/06 Post to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Occupation/Stats given ]

Harel (LN HM Com1) [ Source: "The Reports From Undermountain," Steven Schend, Dragon Magazine #227, p.15. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2018 :  17:31:43  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Black Salt
Norvaeld Blaeburn, lifelong seasman and former factor of both Houses Adarbrent and Stormweather. Foremost of Elaith Craulnober's purveyors (factors) on the Docks. Chubby, pug face. Keen dark eyes. Bow-legged, wispy, sparse black hair. Aloof, private. Prides himself on knowing exactly what each ship in the harbor contains (both publicly and furtively). Has long maintained a delicate dance of both alliance and enmity with Ilgathos, the Xanathar's Dock Ward "Collector of Coins."

Black Sharn
Legendary large, black-furred, single-eyed crag cat. Source of much outlandish rumor and taverntattle. Roams the Evermoors. Unusually intelligent (even by Hunter-of-Men standards), emits an aura of dragonfear. Victims are either killed or said to be marked for future doom.

Black Skarn
Mercinary sellsword. Abandoned his given name, Auglorn Saersmith, long ago. His fellow hireswords named him "Skarn," after the vicious biting flies. Tall, broad-shouldered, big-fisted, deep-voiced. Calm and patient demeanor, but displays great savagery and bloodlust when in combat.

The Blackfalcon Raiders
A mercinary company active in the North, with offices on Tulmaster's Street, at the Sign of the Blackfalcon. In recent years the Blackfalcons, led by the ex-Flaming Fist Ghaundar Immelrune, have made a name for themselves in the competitive world of mercinary bands. Although they are a small company, numbering no more than 50 souls at most, they are all hand-picked by Ghaundar for their experience and talents, and have defeated armies many times their size. The Blackfalcons are all experienced woodsmen, and know much of the North intimately. Individual members can be hired out for caravan duty or bounty hunting, but they do not work cheaply. Members include the "Second Shield" (lieutenant) Sundar Coppershield; and the captains Bambhros "Broad-Axe," Lunathan Left-Handed and Horrelth the Black.

Ghaundar Immelrune (LN HM F12)
Commander of the Blackfalcon Raiders (a mercinary company active in the North, with offices on Tulmaster's Street, at the Sign of the Blackfalcon). Formerly a veteran of the Flaming Fist company out of Baldur's Gate. A short, thick-set man with dark, wiry hair. Mostly mild and even-tempered, but dangerous nonetheless. Ghaundar is an experienced woodsman and tireless tracker, and when not on commission prefers to spend his time deep in the wilds of the North, hunting both beast and monster.

The Blacksaddle Club
A moneyed gathering of horse-fanciers and horse-racers. Wager great sums on the outcomes of Field races and street-challenges alike. Members favor steeds over riders, but some rank among the prominent financiers of brightlances (professional jousters) in the city. Proudly display the weathered black saddle of the famous warhorse The Great Shalarn over the club mantle. The Old Leather (elected chairperson) of the Saddlers is Hlundar Eagleshield, overlarge and overproud, who clings to his position like he clings to his swaying saddle.

The Blackfangs Brotherhood [ Source: "The New Adventures of Volo: The Ardeep," Ed Greenwood, Dragon Magazine #279, p.92. Name/Description given ]

The Blacklegs [ Source: A 09/21/05 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 09 Dec 2018 17:32:19
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2018 :  18:38:30  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"Night-Eyed" Narvaeous
A senior member of the Watchful Order (holds the office of Accomplished Master of Divinations). Dark eyes, angular face. Tense, excitable. Never seems to know how to end a line of conversation, either trailing into silence mid-sentence or suddenly ending at an abrupt and uncomfortable stop.

Nilmrara Nlaen
"The Mistress of Many Spells and the Conjuress of Cunning Magics." South Ward copper-caster (hedge-mage), bone-roller (diviner) and number-knower (for the low-coin lotteries). Her professional epithet is far grander than her magical acumen. Short, round-faced. Dark-haired and dark-eyed. Full belly and full red lips. Has the feline Bluespangle (a grey shorthair with bluish marks similar to the star-circle of Mystra on his left flank) as a familiar.

Nimshoar the Unyielding
Figure of myth and legend in the North. (Excerpted from Balaethra's The Last Days of Illusk of Old) "One of the Nine Vengeances of Tempus, crafted from the spears and blades of fallen heroes by Tempus himself. Nimshoar strode the lands of the North, meting out battle and slaughter aplenty, until it met it's eventual doom off the frozen winter shores nigh Port Llast. The ambuate metal horror was lured into the roiling sea there by the clever Ruathym thane Orbraul and struck by a hundred hundred lances of lightning called endlessly down by the gathered Ruathymaar war shamans, whereupon it gave out a mighty metallic shriek loud enough to rattle the heavens and sunk into the icy depths, never to re-emerge. It is said that Tempus later punished Orbraul for his effrontery by causing all seven of his sons to be born with weak and deformed sword-arms, rendering them incapable of challenging for thaneships; but that Orbraul got the last laugh by teaching his only daughter, the shieldmaiden Anyrissa, to fight and sail better than any man, and so she became famed in her time as one of the most feared raiding thanes of that sea-girt nation."

Nulaundjas the Once-Tempered (N HM Exp)
Noted Amnian "hearthmaster" (hire-chef). Deeply lined and bronzed face framing a pair of deep-set blue eyes. Thick mane of iron-grey hair. Expressive, overbearing and bombastic in the kitchen and in personal settings; otherwise utterly professional and highly tolerant of the ever-shifting whims of his noble patrons. Much sought-after in highcoin circles for his cookery skills at balls and other parties. The social and professional rival of Summa Tlambusk.

Nurlalae Wands
A noble of House Wands. Better known as Nurlalae of the Blazing Eyes. Faced down and single-handedly slew a greater demon at the cost of her own life. The song Blue Eyes Ablazing, written by the bard Rondaglur, tells of how she was infused with the goddess Mystra's power to the point of her eyes literally trailing tears of blue fire and her blade combusting in deific vengeance.

The Night Hand [ Source: Forging The Realms: Lost Lavandril <dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/lost-lavandril>. Name/Description given ]

Nurneene (NE HF T1/Exp6/P6 of Mask) [ Source: "Elminster's Guide to the Realms: Nurneene's Marvelous Masks," Ed Greenwood, Dragon Magazine #321, p.80-81. Name/Stats/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2018 :  19:25:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

Sammardoun Hearthsfire
A dwarven "hearthmaster" (hire-chef). Currently in service to the kitchens of the Brossfeather noble clan. Fond of brandishing a meat cleaver in one hand, and a heavily-engraved hornwood pipe in the other. Married to (and constantly browbeaten by) Haegara Hearthsfire (LN DF Sor3), a universally-acclaimed "many-mouthed, dark-eyed, thunder-voiced witch." His most noted cookery achievement is a "phoenix egg," an oversized ovular shell enchanted by his wife to burst into flame and sparkling pyrotechnics, revealing multicolored sugary pastries stacked within.

Hmmmm, I like this idea of the phoenix egg. It doesn't even have to be a real fire. It could be a modified version of faerie fire or continual flame. But what this really brings to mind is what kind of simple things could be done with magic for rich noble kids birthdays or other kinds of parties. For instance, I never would have thought about it before, but a magic mouth that sings happy birthday (the mouth appearing at the bottom of a cake tray and activating when it gets within range of the birthday person) would be a simple and fun surprise. Also, since its a ritual and a spell known to bards... I can see good singers who are fledgling bards being able to do this for a relative pittance. This might be a common thing at ANY party to be able to have a short song sung. Hell, you could even trigger one magic mouth to occur after another stops for a longer song (note the birthday song falls within the 25 word range), and since its a ritual that just means it takes a bit longer to record.

But, what else might be done besides singing? Well, why not a scavenger hunt? What about a riddle contest? It could add some interesting things because they can't ask someone to repeat what was said, etc...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2018 :  15:21:53  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I know Ed has said repeatedly in the past that the Realms are full of little "everyday" enchantments, but in a game about fireballs and teleportation and killing monsters, they're not the type of thing sells supplements and so don't recieve the same coverage. But I can easily see a "more-gold-than-the-gods" noble shelling out for such activities. And don't forget the pony unicorn rides (or unicorn-horned giant space hamster rides, for the plebs who can't afford the real thing).

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000