Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Five NPCs You Meet In Waterdeep

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AJA Posted - 04 Nov 2018 : 06:57:13

(Or Silverymoon, or Irieabor or Westgate, feel free to change any proper nouns and place names)

quote:
Originally posted by OMNISCIENT DM VOICE
As you are shouldering through traffic on the High Road or lifting a jack of zzar in your favorite tavern, you look over and see....

Brief FRA-style blurbs of local Waterdhavians.
Entres are taken from a loose 1E - 3E timeframe.
These NPCs are obviously from my personal Realms; non-canonity abounds! "Published" NPCs that I've altered have their original references noted. Speaking of, I've also included reference notes for various minor official NPCs (published or "Ed Says,") for those who can use more Waterdeep lore but aren't interested in any of my natterings.

==================================================

Aaletha Emmara Raeena Margaster (CN HF Aris)
A noble of House Margaster. Perennial loser of the "Lady Frost" contest at Mother Tathlorn's Annual Snowbound Festival. "Letha" is well known among Waterdeep's high society for her scathing tongue, loud tantrums and black temper. She fled the city in Eleasias of 1370, eloping with the noble Bragaster Raventree and several stolen family heirlooms, but recently returned (without Bragaster or the missing items).

Abaldar Bambrusk (NE HM Aris2/War4/T2)
The Golden Captain. Patriarch of the Bambrusk merchant clan. The Bambrusks, much like their distant blood relatives the Urmbrusks, are plentiful in the eastern parts of Alaron and Gwynneth. They are allied to House Hawkwinter through the marriage of Lord Eremos Hawkwinter to the lady Kyrin Bambrusk. The Hawkwinters regard them as lesser, "rural" cousins, but admire their skill at fighting and forestry. Abaldar divides his time between Waterdeep and Alaron, and is often found at sea aboard the caravel Gloaming Sails, flagship of his small merchant fleet. He specializes in trading elaborate Moonshaen tapestries and floor carpets for good steel weaponry (swordblades, halberd heads, arrowtips, etc.). It is whispered that much of the Bambrusk fortunes were made through supplying Northmen raiders and Moonshaen highwaymen with weaponry, but such tales are best told outside the hearing of Abaldar or his family members.

Abbast el Ammarkhan (N earth genasiM Bar2/F6)
The Red Colossus, The Unbeatable Abbast. A native of Calimshan. Perhaps the most popular "dare-all" (martialist) at the Field of Triumph. These days he prefers unarmed contests of wrestling and brute strength, but in his prime was one of the greatest bloody-blades in Waterdeep. Owns a masterful suit of gold and red mail gifted by the Lord Baerom Thunderstaff, a highcoin patron.

Abradan Lardahar
A master weaponsmith of Silverymoon. Renowned as the crafter of Athar's Shining Blades, a collection of seven masterwork blades (four longswords, two long daggers and a single broadsword) highly sought-after by collectors. The blades are unenchanted (though they would take one easily), with a natural +1 to hit and damage. Their real value lies in their craftsmanship and in their appeal to collectors. Indeed Lord Hawkwinter, owner of the largest single collection, proudly displays his three Lardahar-blades (Righteous Cleave, Knight's Honor and Solemn Duty) on the wall of his private study. Each weapon is etched with intricate details of the life and legend of Athar the Shining Knight, father of the current Open Lord Piergeiron, and all seven are hilt-wrapped in Abradan's trademark white dragonhide.

Adaphra
The Golden Smile. Festhall downdancer, named for the impressive rows of glittering false teeth lining her mouth. Her originals were lost due to the blows of a brutally sadistic Amnian merchant. In return she took his life, his gaudy gold rings (melted down and re-fashioned into her current opulent dentition) and his vitals, which she also had dipped in gold and wore around her neck for a time until her employers claimed they were making customers ill, and demanded she remove them.

Aaldric Talzon [ Source: "Arcane Lore: Spells of Defense," Owen K.C. Stephens, Dragon Magazine #271. Name/Description given ]
Adama Miiralin (CG HM P5 of Tymora) [ Source: "The Reports From Undermountain," Steven Schend, Dragon Magazine #227, p.15. Name/Description/Stats given ]

25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AJA Posted - 04 Mar 2021 : 01:29:56

Relduthil Oakenstaff (LN HM P6 of Tempus)
A member of the Men of the Black Hammer Banner, one of the city's itinerant "blade fellowships." Short and stocky. Balding head, smashed nose, powerful hands and forearms. Has a number of tattoos on his arms, shoulders and upper back, of axes and shields, the stylilized "wine-red blood of Tempus," stallions, eagles, bulls, mastiffs and other powerful animal life. Dark-eyed, given to gallows humor and short, snorting laughs. Follows the faith of the Lord of Battles foremost, but also strongly tithes to the Lord's two "shieldmaidens," Beshaba and Tymora, the Sisters of Ill-Luck and Hard Fate.

Rence Haballanter (LG HM F12)
Grand Civilar of the Griffon Guard ("The Flying Watch"). As the newest of the city's armed services, the Griffon Guard currently enjoys favored status among the Lords. This rankles the other two Grand Civilars, especially Herevyn Hulmaster, whose naval budget has been drained to fund the griffon riders. Rence is an agile and athletic native of Tethyr, with honeyed skin, flashing black eyes, and flowing auburn hair that he keeps tightly bound when in the air and lets fall wild across his shoulders otherwise. He has become infamous in Waterdhavian society for prowling court functions and noble soirees alike, seeking out the sweetest and prettiest maidens to entertain and caress (to the point that Khelben and Jardwim and have set a permanent Force Grey overseer on him, fearful that his proclivities may leave him open to the charms of a sorcerous agent of Amn or Luskan, or a malicious shapechanger). The official weapon of his office is The Pale Light of Dawn (a long lance +4), but he more commonly carries Hard Horn, his horseman's flail +2. He also wears a suit of gold-enamelled platemail +3 (with crimson dragon's-head pauldrons and matching winged helm of feather falling) and adds a crossbow of accuracy when going into battle. Rides the griffon named Golden Mulph.

Rhûelva
Common Rhûe. A relatively new martialist at the Field of Triumph. Steel-grey eyes, cropped brown hair. Made of wiry muscle and tense, nervous energy. Can drink more than the next three sparswords combined. Was once a street urchin and a member of the Hobgoblins street gang. Field criers trumpet her as the "Commoners Champion," who fought her way up from tavern brawls, to orcslaying, to "The Golden Heights and Golden Rewards only attained through Victory on the Field of Triumphal Combat."

Rhûn Vosulhymn
The Ruin of Ruathym, the Terror of Trades Ward. A native of Ruathym. The one-time crime boss of Trades and South Wards. A giant of a man, with a shaved head, wild black beard and eyebrows, and numerous gold and copper arm-bandings. His long, highly-successful reign was brought to an end by the efforts of the fledgling Red Sashes and by the Xanathar, who then absorbed the remnants of his territories. His surviving lieutenants Naelzaur "The Dragon," the assassins Sulavryne and Bathykos, and the crone Black Maerdha were either slain in turn or adopted into the beholder's organization.

Rifylzoun (N ½EM F5/T2/Exp3)
Seamaster (captain) of the Moonlight Bound, a fast-running freebooter commonly found along the Trackless Sea between Waterdeep and the Moonshaes. Former first mate of the blacksail Jeften "Jools" Longdraught. "Ready Rif" now runs the Bound with the aid of his own first mate, Jennedlia (LN HF F1/Sor4), and the helmsman Black Amudien (CN HM F6).

Relevandrel Vornreth [ Source: A 12/31/13 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

Relligo Ilvastarr [ Source: A 09/21/05 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

Rhesp [ Source: The novel The Dream Spheres. Name/Description given ]

Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Feb 2021 : 15:07:21
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

You know, your mentioning of you still being back in the 1300's in regards the Tyr/Kezef and guy going into the innards thing..... that just triggered something in me of "well, I'm using Anachtar Keeper of Blood Oaths on Abeir as supposedly showing up in Avatar form at some point"... I think it could actually be fun if relatively recently, while in Abeir, heroes were sent to recover the fingers of Tyr's hand.... and/or maybe the fleshless fist... Point being that the concept didn't happen long ago. It could be interesting if they literally come aways with the various components (gods flesh, fingernails, skeletal hand) and they're used SOMEHOW to do SOMETHING (not sure what yet).

There's a series of books about a minor Greek demigod, living in a universe where the Greek deities are real, and use servers and their own computer network to run reality... In one of the books, the dude crosses over to another universe that's the same basic setup, except with the Norse pantheon. He encounters Fenris, who really isn't that bad... And Fenris still has Tyr's hand, which, though bitten off, is still alive and seems to have a mind of its own.
sleyvas Posted - 25 Feb 2021 : 13:49:37
You know, your mentioning of you still being back in the 1300's in regards the Tyr/Kezef and guy going into the innards thing..... that just triggered something in me of "well, I'm using Anachtar Keeper of Blood Oaths on Abeir as supposedly showing up in Avatar form at some point"... I think it could actually be fun if relatively recently, while in Abeir, heroes were sent to recover the fingers of Tyr's hand.... and/or maybe the fleshless fist... Point being that the concept didn't happen long ago. It could be interesting if they literally come aways with the various components (gods flesh, fingernails, skeletal hand) and they're used SOMEHOW to do SOMETHING (not sure what yet).
AJA Posted - 24 Feb 2021 : 23:34:21
quote:
I love this take of Lathander as a preening peacock who is so self assured that his way is the "right way" that he will murder good goddesses to get his will accomplished. I very much like him as a good god.... that you have to be wary of... sometimes its the most well intentioned and smugly self-confident that cause the most damage.

The sympathies of the author are definitely on display in that foreword. That said, I doubt she is alone in her views on the matter. After all, there is the old Faerûnian folk saying, "The roads to all Nine of the Hells are paved with Lathander's good intentions."
quote:
Of the fellow that went into Kezef's "innards" to recover Tyr's hand, let me just say.... BRAVO... I absolutely LOVE this idea, and even more so I love that you don't tie it to specifically "Tyr" and I may try to tie it to my metahel Tyr named Anachtar, keeper of blood oaths. Maybe each of the "fingers" of the hand were recovered by various heroes and turned into artifacts or somesuch (fingernails turned into shields, etc...). I'm thinking of several ways to use this with some other deities as well, which I had thought about in the past but quickly got sidetracked.

I'm still quite happily rambling around in the mid-1300's, so again, the timing of Tyr and Kezef wouldn't fit anyway. But I do love playing around with the Faerûnian pantheons, how they expanded and contracted and merged over time, and all the appropriation and merged myth and muddled "church history" that would come from that.
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd
I think "preening peacock" is best translated as "cocky cathlyre" in teh realms. ;-)

"More shined up than a Sembian paladin," as they say in Cormyr.

sleyvas Posted - 24 Feb 2021 : 20:38:16
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

I love this take of Lathander as a preening peacock who is so self assured that his way is the "right way" that he will murder good goddesses to get his will accomplished. I very much like him as a good god.... that you have to be wary of... sometimes its the most well intentioned and smugly self-confident that cause the most damage.

I think "preening peacock" is best translated as "cocky cathlyre" in teh realms. ;-)

especially if they glow with faerie fire feathers from absorbing magical radiations.
ericlboyd Posted - 24 Feb 2021 : 18:55:32
quote:

sleyvas Posted - 24 Feb 2021 : 14:53:50
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

Aulskur Drúnhammer
Dwarven warrior. Noted in both Ammathair Hawkfeather's The Flames That Lit the Frozen North and Mintiper Moonsilver's eponymous Mintiper's Chapbook. The last of Clan Drúnhammer, which split from Clan Harpendrún (out from Clan Melair before them) centuries ago in argument over mining territory in the Sword Mountains. Active in the goblin wars across the North. In 874DR he went on a quest to "defray his doom," a most curious phrase that he never cared to quantify. When he returned, it was with the legendary Odlaeryn (Öd-LAIR-nn), a clan weapon known to sages as a galeb duhr hammer (said to cause the very earth itself to rise up and grapple with an opponent). He fell in battle with the orc horde of Uruth Ukrypt, during the retreat from the Battle of Whirling Blades, and was buried in a hasty mountain-side grave. Of his weapon, it was not interred with him, but nothing after that is recorded.

Tholandar of Tyr
The great hero who dared travel far inside the infernal innards of dread Kezef the Chaos-Hound to retrieve the Hand of Tyr, severed and forfeit, and returned with it to Faerûn to be re-forged in holy flame into The Blade of the Righteous (a consecrated broadsword of the church, currently wielded by the paladin Raelar Hosthann). As religious tales of Tyr's maiming are relatively recent, many scholars believe Tholandar's deeds to have been purposefully co-opted and conflated from earlier myths of the elder Anachtyr or perhaps even from those of another faith entirely (there are some sages who claim they originate in Talfir myths of Thuskannar, the great warrior and hero-deity who travelled the planes via the sulfurous weeping caverns called Golorakh, The Wolf's Maw).

Talsunda Nurram, Holy Inciter of Swirls and Billows
A legendary priestess of Bhaelros, active in the Tethyr and Amn regions. Had great god-given powers of wind and storm. Claimed she was not born, but rather carved out whole from the roots of the great pine tree Norogloth by her god, from the same devastating lightning strikes that toppled it, in his uprising against the Earth-Mother during The Time When Chauntea Tamed The Spring Rains (that distant allegorical epoch when the goddess set her four horses to pulling Faerûn in turns on a steady path around the sun, and began a great task to set the wild, uncivilized realms of nature to order). A fantastical claim to be sure, but one that any who challenged did not live long after to disprove.
        From her many misdeeds the most lasting reminder is the artifact called Zalafturr, the Warhorn Winding, a great Talosian engine of destruction whose useage is immortalized in the epic lay, From Every Glade Forgotten (An Unmourned Hero Rests) and from whose throat, banded by iron and fire opal, issued forth the furies of sound and force, enchantments powerful enough to knock grown men from their feet and afflict them with various crippling levels of deafness, bleeding from ear and nose, and lasting lack of wits and battle-sense.

Hathlurra Dethskaunt
The great Imbitterer of Shar. "Upon Whom the Stars Shine Shadowed," a great priestess of the Moonmaiden whose overwhelming grief and losses suffered during the war against the Army of Darkness turned her away from hope and friendship and into the eager waiting arms of Shar. Now something powerful and implacable; shade, revenant, dark and fallen, a cautionary tale and whispered terror among the Selûnites of the Heartlands. Recent Harper chatter in the Dalelands implies her to be moving northwards towards the Border Forest, possibly seeking something of value to the Lady of Loss buried within the restive stones of ancient Aunderspiel, that ruined Netherese city "in where black glimmers white / and pale the ruins grey."

Noska Dessaril
(as romanticized by the bard Feldath) "Noska of the Brilliant Laments, who long ago mastered those faint runes of Mystery through which Mystryl loosed the bonds and bid magic rise, there in the marshland haven of Caledrum, along the Selador, where the warrior Tûldra was drowned." Her 'brilliant laments' were not song but prophecy, feverish and staccatto and impenetrable, but full of a conviction that has carried them down through the centuries until the present day, where they are read by Savrassan and noble dilettante alike. Excerpts as follows from the Noskalda Draeth, the Brilliant Utterings;

"The crisis is come to this house. It is come of those who shade their eyes with only one hand and shield off the sun. They stand behind the back-sides of doors and drip with red syrups. The cat arches its back on the many-pillared porch and the horse, so suddenly released, rears and swings round on its hind legs. These things have the warmth of the hearth and still demand of the fire. The ill-chosen door is clearly degloved and the knock does not come through the shutters. A great crimson bubble hangs over the big copper cauldron. It collapses in long breath and rosy foam. The crisis is past. The reflection is beautiful."

"Down the road is a recent illness. White and returned in the shade when they once stood in the blazing sun. A liberal table of souls and lightning cuts across the field. Shorter is the undulating grain, barren and burnished in sad tales. They would pass down the dusty road equal in splendor but on one side the brackens are yet green. Fields of oat and dust whisper together. They call in silence to those who have just left: Go into the house. You will not fight."

Well, I should have waited to respond and read these as well. I like the concept of the first 3. The one with the Galeb Duhr Hammer who was "buried quickly".... I picture there being some tie between the hammer and a galeb duhr/earth elemental and the spirit of the wielder, almost like he can summon the spirit of such a creature into any surrounding piece of rock. But as a result when the wielder died... the rocky creature falls apart and "buries" his remains.

Of the fellow that went into Kezef's "innards" to recover Tyr's hand, let me just say.... BRAVO... I absolutely LOVE this idea, and even more so I love that you don't tie it to specifically "Tyr" and I may try to tie it to my metahel Tyr named Anachtar, keeper of blood oaths. Maybe each of the "fingers" of the hand were recovered by various heroes and turned into artifacts or somesuch (fingernails turned into shields, etc...). I'm thinking of several ways to use this with some other deities as well, which I had thought about in the past but quickly got sidetracked.

Of the legendary priestess of Bhaelros/Talos... I love the part of her being "carved from a great tree" rather than born, and my first thoughts were of a "child of Yggdrasil" tree and of course using Thor / Thoros as the deity. I think this could really work as a method to produce a demigod rather than a hero (which the portrayal also works with her being something like a hercules or other born of the gods).

I liked the turned Selunite, but not sure what to do with it. The last one eludes me at present, but it was indeed a good read.
sleyvas Posted - 24 Feb 2021 : 14:21:46
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

"As is sung in verse of old, 'when the World was Young and the mountains green,' the god Lathander rose out from the best of both of the First Gods Chauntea and Silvanus. He was then the Firstborn of the races of Man, and embodied perfectly all of their conflicting virtues and vices; the short, bright-burning passions and fecundity, the wild urges for blood and civilization, and the endless drive to learn from and eagerly supplant their elder cousins of forest and stone. But that in and of itself is not why Incalescent Lathander rose up high and victorious, as triumphant and terrible as the burning of the midday sun; no, that dubious honor falls to the goddess Murdane who, alone of all her awed or cowed fellows, stood her ground by the Ever-Branching River of Time and dared to tell The Star Resplendent, 'no, this is wrong.' And when she was slain, and Glorious Lathander forever-after stained, and all the plagues and poxes of Man that were long foretold lay unchained, only then did he claim his Gem-Bedighted Throne and undertake his efforts towards the re-imagining and re-organizing of Faerûn that he had so long argued for."
        Excerpted from the Foreword of The Lay of Murdane
        from the tome Drinking From Untasted Wells (Tenfold Tales about Gods and Avatars, Adapted from Myths Older than the Written Word)
        Bhardala Faëndlorn, Loresinger and Lady of Fables, Learned Sage of the House of the Harp
        1339DR, Year of the Weeping Moon

AJA Posted - 24 Feb 2021 : 00:20:30

SH*T YOU'D HAVE TO ASK YOUR LOCAL SAGE ABOUT
(five, of course – any more and he'd charge extra)

"As is sung in verse of old, 'when the World was Young and the mountains green,' the god Lathander rose out from the best of both of the First Gods Chauntea and Silvanus. He was then the Firstborn of the races of Man, and embodied perfectly all of their conflicting virtues and vices; the short, bright-burning passions and fecundity, the wild urges for blood and civilization, and the endless drive to learn from and eagerly supplant their elder cousins of forest and stone. But that in and of itself is not why Incalescent Lathander rose up high and victorious, as triumphant and terrible as the burning of the midday sun; no, that dubious honor falls to the goddess Murdane who, alone of all her awed or cowed fellows, stood her ground by the Ever-Branching River of Time and dared to tell The Star Resplendent, 'no, this is wrong.' And when she was slain, and Glorious Lathander forever-after stained, and all the plagues and poxes of Man that were long foretold lay unchained, only then did he claim his Gem-Bedighted Throne and undertake his efforts towards the re-imagining and re-organizing of Faerûn that he had so long argued for."
        Excerpted from the Foreword of The Lay of Murdane
        from the tome Drinking From Untasted Wells (Tenfold Tales about Gods and Avatars, Adapted from Myths Older than the Written Word)
        Bhardala Faëndlorn, Loresinger and Lady of Fables, Learned Sage of the House of the Harp
        1339DR, Year of the Weeping Moon

Aulskur Drúnhammer
Dwarven warrior. Noted in both Ammathair Hawkfeather's The Flames That Lit the Frozen North and Mintiper Moonsilver's eponymous Mintiper's Chapbook. The last of Clan Drúnhammer, which split from Clan Harpendrún (out from Clan Melair before them) centuries ago in argument over mining territory in the Sword Mountains. Active in the goblin wars across the North. In 874DR he went on a quest to "defray his doom," a most curious phrase that he never cared to quantify. When he returned, it was with the legendary Odlaeryn (Öd-LAIR-nn), a clan weapon known to sages as a galeb duhr hammer (said to cause the very earth itself to rise up and grapple with an opponent). He fell in battle with the orc horde of Uruth Ukrypt, during the retreat from the Battle of Whirling Blades, and was buried in a hasty mountain-side grave. Of his weapon, it was not interred with him, but nothing after that is recorded.

Tholandar of Tyr
The great hero who dared travel far inside the infernal innards of dread Kezef the Chaos-Hound to retrieve the Hand of Tyr, severed and forfeit, and returned with it to Faerûn to be re-forged in holy flame into The Blade of the Righteous (a consecrated broadsword of the church, currently wielded by the paladin Raelar Hosthann). As religious tales of Tyr's maiming are relatively recent, many scholars believe Tholandar's deeds to have been purposefully co-opted and conflated from earlier myths of the elder Anachtyr or perhaps even from those of another faith entirely (there are some sages who claim they originate in Talfir myths of Thuskannar, the great warrior and hero-deity who travelled the planes via the sulfurous weeping caverns called Golorakh, The Wolf's Maw).

Talsunda Nurram, Holy Inciter of Swirls and Billows
A legendary priestess of Bhaelros, active in the Tethyr and Amn regions. Had great god-given powers of wind and storm. Claimed she was not born, but rather carved out whole from the roots of the great pine tree Norogloth by her god, from the same devastating lightning strikes that toppled it, in his uprising against the Earth-Mother during The Time When Chauntea Tamed The Spring Rains (that distant allegorical epoch when the goddess set her four horses to pulling Faerûn in turns on a steady path around the sun, and began a great task to set the wild, uncivilized realms of nature to order). A fantastical claim to be sure, but one that any who challenged did not live long after to disprove.
        From her many misdeeds the most lasting reminder is the artifact called Zalafturr, the Warhorn Winding, a great Talosian engine of destruction whose useage is immortalized in the epic lay, From Every Glade Forgotten (An Unmourned Hero Rests) and from whose throat, banded by iron and fire opal, issued forth the furies of sound and force, enchantments powerful enough to knock grown men from their feet and afflict them with various crippling levels of deafness, bleeding from ear and nose, and lasting lack of wits and battle-sense.

Hathlurra Dethskaunt
The great Imbitterer of Shar. "Upon Whom the Stars Shine Shadowed," a great priestess of the Moonmaiden whose overwhelming grief and losses suffered during the war against the Army of Darkness turned her away from hope and friendship and into the eager waiting arms of Shar. Now something powerful and implacable; shade, revenant, dark and fallen, a cautionary tale and whispered terror among the Selûnites of the Heartlands. Recent Harper chatter in the Dalelands implies her to be moving northwards towards the Border Forest, possibly seeking something of value to the Lady of Loss buried within the restive stones of ancient Aunderspiel, that ruined Netherese city "in where black glimmers white / and pale the ruins grey."

Noska Dessaril
(as romanticized by the bard Feldath) "Noska of the Brilliant Laments, who long ago mastered those faint runes of Mystery through which Mystryl loosed the bonds and bid magic rise, there in the marshland haven of Caledrum, along the Selador, where the warrior Tûldra was drowned." Her 'brilliant laments' were not song but prophecy, feverish and staccatto and impenetrable, but full of a conviction that has carried them down through the centuries until the present day, where they are read by Savrassan and noble dilettante alike. Excerpts as follows from the Noskalda Draeth, the Brilliant Utterings;

"The crisis is come to this house. It is come of those who shade their eyes with only one hand and shield off the sun. They stand behind the back-sides of doors and drip with red syrups. The cat arches its back on the many-pillared porch and the horse, so suddenly released, rears and swings round on its hind legs. These things have the warmth of the hearth and still demand of the fire. The ill-chosen door is clearly degloved and the knock does not come through the shutters. A great crimson bubble hangs over the big copper cauldron. It collapses in long breath and rosy foam. The crisis is past. The reflection is beautiful."

"Down the road is a recent illness. White and returned in the shade when they once stood in the blazing sun. A liberal table of souls and lightning cuts across the field. Shorter is the undulating grain, barren and burnished in sad tales. They would pass down the dusty road equal in splendor but on one side the brackens are yet green. Fields of oat and dust whisper together. They call in silence to those who have just left: Go into the house. You will not fight."

AJA Posted - 17 Feb 2021 : 00:16:17

FAERÛNIAN HAIKU 2: Three-Line Boogaloo

Colorless nightfall
The bright sword of Man despairs
While cold stars stand watch

A long quiet room
Utter black and frozen flame
The dead lie wide awake

Faerûn is silenced
Across the dark night canvas
The bright stars are still

What color is elf
Gold elf, dark elf, silver elf
Star elf, Keebler elf

AJA Posted - 17 Feb 2021 : 00:13:21

Orbos Trollkiller (LN HM War)
An aged armsman in the employ of the Hunabar noble family. Slowed by age and various battle-related infirmities. He is now tasked with watching over and displaying at house functions the Oriflamme of the Seven Bright Stars, the enchanted banner that is the most treasured relic of House Hunabar. Spends the rest of his time betting on horses at the Field of Triumph and in the stables of the House, entertaining the stablehands (and young Hunabar heirs, snuck off to hear him) with warriors tales of fire and flame, and furious cries and brave deeds.

Orin Marhzault (CG HM Aris3/F6)
Commonly referred to as "Lord Knightsfolly." Lean, tall, sloe-eyed. Everpresent grin, impish sense of humor. A native of Tethyr, and an ally of Those Who Harp. A frequent guest at the gatherings of Waterdhavian high society, and a common sight at the Field of Triumph, sunning himself atop his jousting horse, Barlûne (a great bay stallion with a white-blazed face and white forelegs to the knees). He conceals a sharp mind and quick swordarm behind a thoroughly convincing reputation as a sot, gambler, and would-be paladin. Much more proficient with both rapier and broadsword than he lets on.

Orlanthlas the Green (LN EM Exp12/P4 of Labelas Enoreth)
The quiet, circumspect envoy (ambassador) of the Elfland of Evermeet. Arranges matters pertaining to the Retreat with the Lords (mostly Mirt and Khelben) and acts as a defacto speaker for the various small, scattered elven realms of the Sword Coast. Believed by most of the populace to be nothing more than a learned sage and a personage of the Lord's Court. Has waist-length black hair liberally streaked with both silver and cobalt highlights, wide blue-black eyes and skin the color of old parchment. Has a great weakness for dried fruits, candied lemon, and fresh berries of all sort, and carries a pouch of such treats with him at all times. Few alive in the city today know of his past, as a noble and highly-regarded scholar of the former moon elven realm of Ardeep (House Andrilûnae Banners-of-High-Battle).

Orlavvan the Beastmaker
An unpredictable wild-mage, alchemist, and self-styled "creature-crafter." Exiled from the Watchful Order and from the city itself after one of his abominations, a "gelatinous hulk," escaped and ran amok through much of South Ward. The gaze-hound, his most famous magebreed, is still bred true by the beast-tamers of House Ilvastarr. An early mentor of the mage Duhlark Kolat. Commonly believed to have died a raving madman in the High Moor wilderness, although there are some who suspect Orlavvan of being responsible for the burglary of the Kolat Towers on Midsummer of 1367DR.

Osbos Silmerhelve (LG HM Pal of Torm)
The Shining Silmerhelve, Osbos the True. A noble of House Silmerhelve. Wields Tanarvhel, the ancient Netherese Flamerule Blade. In the early months of 1370DR Osbos travelled with a group of fellow pilgrims aboard the caravel Yellow Gull to Oarsdown, in the remote Westward Isles. Their fate remains unknown, although recent divinations have pointed to an untimely end for the sojurners.

Orlo Relvus [ Source: Ed Greenwood's Spin-a-Yarn 2009: Night of the Dread Pudding. Name/Description given ]

AJA Posted - 10 Feb 2021 : 00:46:52

'Billhook' Tonth
An enforcer of the Hobgoblins street gang and a rising bullyblade in service to Elaith Craulnober. Tall, lanky. Huge hooked nose overaccented by receeding chin. Not to be confused with 'Bullhook' Ashra, a half-giantess who competed at the Field of Triumph (named for her signature takedowns of the minotaur fighters Tovhruus and Temblor; fell on Net Street to the massed spears of fish-man invaders during the Bloody Tide of 1369DR). He is sweet with Cedra, scullery-girl at the Full Cup tavern; she sneaks him jacks of ale out the back-alley door when no one is looking.

Chauntrea Calask
A carver of wooden toys. Cheerful, earnest; an attentive listener. Has a low, soft voice. Whistles her tune and roams the Market (and temple steps on holy gathering days) selling her wares – cheap-block, peg-jointed or rolling – to eager children and their wearied parents (the common man-at-arms, wizard, king and queen, dwarf and elf, along with their associated monstrous nemeses, are her staples). Also somewhat proficient at woodcuts of the type used for printed works and often supplements her income with renders used to illustrate cheap Sune-books and "purple-passions," salacious chapbooks of bosom-heaving and lustful romance.

Iorlas "The Old" Ulbrinter
An aged noble of house Ulbrinter (brother of Helmadder / uncle of Nomus, the current Ulbrinter patriarch). An old man with a white beard and huge nose and hands. Was once greatly feared in matters of both coin and combat, but is now only mocked for his scattered thoughts and for his great thundrous strings of colorful invective which, while not exactly vulgar, are certainly inventive (Seven flying flinders! Dark and dashed! Thodd's odds! Corn Cockle! Gout and ghast and Gond and ghoul!).

Jounreene Illenstars (N HF Aris1)
The matriarch of House Illenstars, a swiftly-rising merchant clan. Has a long, graceful neck, dark eyes, and a prominent hawk-nose. Jounreene has recently "acquired" (i.e., paid for in drink and lodging and the charms of low-coin lasses) the services of the Fine Silvers, a fellowship of rowdies and sellswords out of Nesmé, led by the fighter Durndan Turnsword, and is hard at work scheming up ways to use their blades to her advantage. In the meantime the Silvers lounge about Illenspires, their muddy jackboots and insolence causing the Lord Illenstars no end of strife.

Yeoduthra (LE ½EF)
(YEH-oh-DUUTH-ra) Proprietor of Duthra's Den (The Respite of Rounded Roundels), a Sea Ward smoke-parlor. "Scents and smokes which serve to illuminate and navigate. Gentle fuel for the flames of dreams." Her stock comes not from the endless dream-fields of Thay or the cultivated white longleaf farms of Calimshan, but rather from the decadent and dissolute dark elves of the Down Below. Not coincidentally, she is also a contact for and ally of the drow of Undermountain (and has raised the ire of the Xanathar as a result). Patrons marked and delivered by similar agents often find themselves whisked into the depths and into slavery shortly after they have smoked themselves into a manageable stupor.

Irbryth Authamaun [ Source: Broadcryers of Waterdeep III: Know Thy Sources <archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20030917a>. Name/Description given ]

Yethrae Delraven [ Source: A 06/07/13 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

sleyvas Posted - 01 Feb 2021 : 15:57:54
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:
Oh, sorry, it was just a play oh "Helm is Heimdall"

Oh! I see, very nice.

....but what about the gibbering mouthers?

Didn't that particular gibbering mouther have nine mouths? Yep, Heimdall's mother must have been a gibbering mouther So that's how he got so good at being able to follow multiple conversations at one time! At least we know know exactly what kind of fetishist his dad was... kinky damn giants.
AJA Posted - 01 Feb 2021 : 02:03:49
quote:
Oh, sorry, it was just a play oh "Helm is Heimdall"

Oh! I see, very nice.

....but what about the gibbering mouthers?

quote:
The flying monkey familiar of Dirovar the Disgraced....

Freakin' wizards, man. They're just the worst.

sleyvas Posted - 29 Jan 2021 : 12:40:58
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

The Five Books That Arrive On Your Doorstep After A Wild-Surge Glances Off The Sorting-Gate at Aurora's Emporium, Sea Ward
(....okay, but then where did my order of flash-frozen mutton, lammasu-fur parlor slippers and fancy-basket of Tashlutan citrus fruits go?)

The flying monkey familiar of Dirovar the Disgraced settled to the ground on the rooftop of the abandoned storefront of Whisperspring Locks & Security. It dropped the basket of fruit at Dirovar's feet, allowing a pair of golden-furred slippers to slide out into Dirovar's lap. He handed the slippers back to the monkey as he grabbed the cool piece of lamb meat. The young wizard's stomach rumbled in anticipation even as he sent the familiar off in an entirely opposite direction without landing, so as to lead any who might be seeking to track the winged thief astray. Telepathically he ordered him to drop the slippers in an alley and fade away, meanwhile peeling a red orange and relishing the smell of fresh fruit.
sleyvas Posted - 29 Jan 2021 : 12:17:08
quote:

Wasn't Helm of the Five Eyes rumored to have nine mothers?

Oh, sorry, it was just a play oh "Helm is Heimdall" with his "five eyes" being his "five senses" that were all supposed to be acute. Heimdall supposedly had nine mothers.
AJA Posted - 29 Jan 2021 : 00:27:46

The Five Books That Arrive On Your Doorstep After A Wild-Surge Glances Off The Sorting-Gate at Aurora's Emporium, Sea Ward
(....okay, but then where did my order of flash-frozen mutton, lammasu-fur parlor slippers and fancy-basket of Tashlutan citrus fruits go?)

The Garden of Strange Shapes; or, The Visions of a Master Form-Impeller
(Gamelgask the Thundrous, Androsphinx of Unther, 508DR)

A Much Pleasanter Road: Why I Chose the Art of Enchanting Over Envoking
(Haemaskar the Dwelf, Seventh Nodical of The Irithlium, 265DR)

Far and Winding: A Treatise on The Devious Paths and Mazy Involutions of Wizard-Holes and Other Arcane Pathways
(Nashkurl the Pallid, 217DR, translated from the original Alzhedo by Robryn Uldask, Maiden-Sage of Elversult, 1249DR)

A Full Accounting In History, Legend, and Verse of The Celestial Light Nandaskar (Known Alternately and Correctly as Nandaskalar, Nandaskaul, Neirith, Algairtha, The Northernmost Star, The Bright Star of Mystra, The Woadstar, and The Last Lonely Lamp, Among Others)
(Laeral Silverhand, Lady Mage of Waterdeep, 1368DR)

The Complete Collected Pages of the Journal of the Conjurer Tanstorl, As Salvaged From Abandonment and Wizard-Flame By His Foremost Apprentice, Sarlk of Immerance
(Tanstorl Ten-Staves, collated and edited by Sarlk of Immerance, 1266DR)

AJA Posted - 29 Jan 2021 : 00:23:39

Mimberthorn
Northern bard, wrote Still Is The House of Song ("Cold are the stars of night / And dark the Hearth of Learning / Where once kindled the lustre of Man / Now is left only yearning") and Deep Lies the Snow ("Hope arises with the Spring / Auril will toss and rage at / The gladsome notes of / The Lark's sweet returning"). Spent a year in the charmed thrall of the nixie S'oquar Sekhorae, of the lake Oolboloné "Clothed-In-Mists" of the Laughing Hollow, and was then summarily released from his servitude. According to those who knew him best, he returned to Waterdeep long enough to set his affairs in order and then set out to return to Oolboloné, in attempt to rejoin his aquatic 'friends' and lover. His fate thereafter is unrecorded.

The Mingle-Mangle of Dock Street
Phantasmal apparition or undead spectre, Dock Ward. Nightmarish hodgepodge of seawrack, chains, claws, glowing eyes, mouths (agape, moaning, screaming). Victims either rent asunder or filled to bursting with seawater and flotsam. First physical encounters began shortly after the sahuagin invasion, although the name and legend date to the time of Raulor.

Minzapur of Volothamp
An importer of rare blacksmoke obsidan from the Tashalar and Chult. Unmasked in 1368DR as a member of an illicit slaving ring by the Hin adventurer Dimvel Stoutkeg and the Tymorite priest Jorynn Halstaff. Struck down in Lord's Court after attempting to attack the pair with the aid of magically animated flying daggers and heretofore unknown spellcasting powers.

Miritai Aeouna Nemmerlae Lathkule (LN HF Aris1)
The dowager matron of House Lathkule. Mother of Nimoar Lathkule. Granddaughter of Ultath Lathkule, one of the most feared fighting men of his day. The color schemes of her clothing and makeup and private chambers 'scream to the heavens' (as described by the master tailor Welauskras of Silverymoon – with the unspoken addendum; "and the Gods scream back"). As soon as she learns of a new hair color, clothing dye, or shade of gemstone from some far realm she demands its acquisition. Her factors are kept busy (and well-paid) intently roaming everywhere from the lip of the Yawning Portal (waiting to see what relics of the Underdark have been unearthed) to the docks of Lantan and Lapaliiya, where the many bounties of Unknown Chult come for sale. It is said that a social rival once hired a hex-mage to curse her with color-blindness, a condition which lasted for the better part of a ten-day and nearly caused her to suffer from heartstop. It is also said that no one around her could tell the difference from her clothing choices.

Mithril "Ebonhand" Deepshield
The former Mirabaran envoy (ambassador) to Waterdeep and the Lord's Alliance. Deepshield, a long-time explorer and adventurer, was famed in the North as the only surviving member of the Company of the Gryphon, delvers of long-lost Gauntylgrym. It was in that expedition that he lost his right hand to a thessalhydra (which, after having been replaced with an enchanted appendage fashioned of ebon stone, became the source of his nickname). Killed by a vampiric crimson mist during the events of Halaster's Harvestide in 1370DR. Replaced in his duties as envoy by Shalaea Zendross.

Miri Amcathra [ A 07/29/12 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by The Hooded One. Name/Description given ]

Mistram Flavauro [ Source: Waterdeep News: Confession in Flavauro Slaying <wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wdn/20060315a>. Name/Description given ]

AJA Posted - 23 Jan 2021 : 01:21:08
quote:

I don't get the reference? I can tell you that I kept trying to parse mothers as (gibbering) mouthers, so I'm not sure what that says about me .

sleyvas Posted - 22 Jan 2021 : 14:36:01
AJA Posted - 22 Jan 2021 : 01:15:26

The Ride Forth Dragons
Local adventuring fellowship. Do not hail from, nor take their name in tribute to, The Rideforth, the popular name for the Mornbryn's Shield region (where heroes like Tulkantar and Mornbryn sallied out to do battle with the trolls of the Evermoors), and find themselves quite irritated to have to keep explaining this fact. The 'Forth Dragons (also not named for or inspired by The Forthright Dragons, one of the most decorated and historied companies of Cormyrian calvalry; nor for that matter The Forthward Dragons, the great stone bulwarks that now lie crumbling along much of the middle Tethyr-Calimshan borderlands). Honestly, they spend more time explaining and arguing their title, and should probably just change it at this point.
        Captained by the lesser noble son Remloronard 'Remlo' Elgalish Hoelsk Stormweather, who fancies himself a cavalier but is far more of a fop. Quite deadly with a blade, though. Their roster also includes the halfling "Blinko" Braveleg (called so for both his magic ring [of blinking] and his nervous eye tick, though his mother named him Myrnd. Once a member of the Shields of Snail Street adventuring fellowship) and Selskra of the Rippling Flames, a competent, yet underspelled and overly reliant on a singular handful of spells, evoker.

Sammail of the Rocks
Lone hermit, born into, and cast out of, the noble House Phylund of Waterdeep. Spent fifty-some years painting the tidal rocks at the Witherwash, north of the Trollbark Forest; just the groupings of rocks, all time of day, the swash of the surf, a seabird lone or in pairs. Re-used many of the same canvasses, painting over and over, whole or in part. Was eaten one winter by an owlbear that found its way down into the cleft where his hut stood. Most of his paintings were burned later, by wet sailors wrecked on the rocks or by passing goblin bands. Dauravyn Redbeard of the Way Inn has two up on the walls of his rentable rooms there. They say if you engage in commune with the silver-spotted azure borders of the darkened Telmardreth (the Tenfold Ocean Shoals) mural at the Gallery Majesta in Calimport, some of his burnt and lost works come up there in the cycling visions.

Clarinda Thann
"Three is the number, and the number is three," the infamous dictate laid down as high law by Clarinda Thann, the foremost matron mother of her day, in The Proper Preferences of the Subtle and Well-Heeled Noble (regarding the socially-correct number of names any respectable Waterdhavian noble should be given at birth; this obviously accounts for proper names only, and does not include any small-names, epithets, or aliases – Clarinda herself considered such things common and vulgar, and not affectations that any self-respecting highborn would sully themselves with). Before this, nobles of the City of Splendors vied to outdo themselves by saddling their offspring with longer and longer name-counts, in grand imitation of both the dwarven clans of the North, with their interminable family rolls, each name precisely and proudly shouted out as the steady blows of hammer on anvil; and the grasping and gilded noble satraps of Calimshan, each more eager than the next to imp their lineages back to marid and djinn and The Age Before the Elves.
        In recent days Clarinda has noteriety of a much different sort, thanks to her great-nephew, the impudent bardling Danilo Thann, who is known tell "the most amusingly ribald story" about her. While that tale (and half-a-hundred more of her wild youth) may be true, what is also true is that no one alive during her dowager days would have ever dared to even whisper such effrontery within the city walls while she still lived, for fear of her deadly societal wrath. [ Source: The novel Elfsong. Name/(Danilo Thann's) Description given. Additional detail by me. ]

Helm of the Five Eyes
An obscure aspect of the God of Guardians said to deal not with physical matters of protection and sentry-duty, but instead with warding against those evils outside the boundaries of physical Faerûn. Traditionally called upon to guard against malign divination, beast-curse (lycanthropism), ill-humors, solipsism, and birth-ware (those fleeting but all-important moments before a newborn is bound to their truename, when they lay wholly unprotected from demonic possession and damnation). Believed by some scholars to originate as a more ancient deity, a fallen lesser god of the Talfir pantheon, slaughtered by Malar for daring to work against the beast-curse and only later absorbed by popular folklore into the expanding portfolio of the interloper Helm. Sigil is a warrior's fullhelm with a closed human eye over the forehead. The only known faithful of Helm Five-Eyes in the city is the hin Rosewise Mallowgarn, a midwife and herbalist resident in South Ward.

Rosewise Mallowgarn
A midwife and herb-healer of South Ward. Cheerful, good-natured. Loves to tell Hin tall-tales like The Golden Bed of Peryroyl, Tom-Pip and the Potato Patch, The Twice-Bewitched Cattle of Old Moss, and Marradan and the Basket of Ginger-Cakes. Also quite learned and fearless in the presence of ghosts and other malign spirits. Adherent of the lesser aspect, Helm of the Five Eyes. Often keeps company with Taloc Sailson, the "Ghost-Seeker" of Waterdeep.

AJA Posted - 16 Jan 2021 : 00:56:08

Thellae "Little Mouse"
Diminutive sneak-thief. Non-descript appearance, extremely agile and acrobatic. Has a particular talent for gaining access to the upper-floor windows of tallhouses. A member of the Headsmen street gang.

Theréndriel
Elven cavalier. Broad shoulders, slender, athletic frame. Long straight silver hair. High cheekbones, full lips, strong chin. Favors longsword and lance, rides Eskeliel, a large dapple-gray charger. Leader of The Moon-Bright Company, a small mercenary force of moon-elves and half-elves faithful to the Bright Lady, Sehanine Moonbow. The Company is most active in escorting bands of elves on Retreat to the Sword Coast ports that will take them to the Evermeet, but they also occasionally hire themselves out to human realms that seek to keep the trade routes clear of monsters or brigands or overambitious rivals (as they did for Waterdeep, in the war against the devils of Dragonspear). In true elven fashion they are equally proficient with bladed weapons and bows, and they count a handful of mid-level spellcasters among their ranks.

Theryn Goodstaff
A native of Alaron in the Moonshaes. An outgoing, affable man with wild reddish hair and moustache. Proprietor of Theryn's Tankard, an alehouse popular with the Moonshaen community in South Ward (Olaim's Cut, South Ward. Sign of the Bear-and-Tankard – not the Two Black Tankards of Tömaunt's Merry-House, further down the street. Good variety of Moonshaen brews, small foodlist offering only salted silverfin, Snowdown beef roundels [beef olives], skewers of seared scallops and bread-trenchers of mutton stew). Theryn is a talented herbalist but a staunch opponent of the Guild of Apothecaries and Physicians, and as a result has had to pay more than one street urchin to keep watch on the rough plot he maintains on the lower slopes of Mount Waterdeep, where he grows feverfew (headaches), blue-weed (chicory; gallstones and sinus), and sweet-horn (the 'old charm' of many a halfling drinking song), whose tinctures and remedies he also eagerly offers to customers).

Tychander (NG HM F9)
Ward Civilar, Dock Ward (1369DR - present). A native of Turmish. Promoted after the previous Ward Civilar, Mane Avarast, died during the Battle of Waterdeep Harbor. After an unfullfilling stint as a caravan guard, the down-on-his-luck Turmite joined the Watch as a means of paying the rent on his lodgings. He soon found that he enjoyed the responsibilities given to him and the comradeship of his fellow guardsmen, and rose swiftly through the ranks. As an armar (sergeant), his rallying actions during the invasion of sea creatures served to prevent a total rout and contained much of the fighting to the lower reaches of the Ward. They also resulted in his elevation as the youngest officer to ever hold the position of Ward Civilar. Wears The Coquelicot Mail of Phalorm and carries The Forceful Horn of Akadi, the traditional symbols of the office.

Tymaera Thaeve (CN HF F/T)
Master (captain) of the Brazen Maiden, a freebooter that plys the Sea of Swords from Waterdeep to Baldur's Gate. Much like her half-sister, the deceased adventuress Tcharess Brandeth, Tymaea is a free-spirited, hard-drinking, impulsive woman who finds inspiration in two things; the freedom of the open sea and the exhilaration of one-on-one combat. She will often challenge opponents to high-stakes "honor duels." It is rumored that her defeat of the feared minotaur pirate "Black" Blaen-Tauros in just such a contest led to her gaining control of not only the Maiden, but its' entire crew and cargo of valuable southern spices.

sleyvas Posted - 10 Jan 2021 : 15:42:00
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

The Whistling Ghosts
Phantasmal haunting or spectral apparition, Dock Ward. Relatively common spirits found along the lengths of the city docks. Formerly known as Howling Ghosts, Sea Screamers and Voices of the Drowned. Commonly believed to be the spirits of sailors battered and drowned in terrible sea squalls, who found their way back to port with the fury of the storms still a-howling through them. Ever since the invasion of sea creatures in 1369DR their groans have been noticeably quieted and, while their sea-smell remains strong as ever they now barely register noise louder than the creak of caravel timbers or the drumming of driving rain on sailcloth. Nobody seems to know why this is, but the sailhands trying to sleep in their dockside berths certainly appreciate it.

There are rumors that Delvar Roaringhorn, an elderly bard and member of the order of the Knights of the Unicorn, was traversing the docks with his equally elderly sweet love, Barbara Washington, on the first night of the invasion by sahuagin. Delvar gave his all that night so that his wife could escape with her life. It is rumored that his oddly named lover and Delvar had been a part of the original founding members of the Knights of the Unicorn, and that the touch of Lurue's horn had returned them to their youth and even slowed their aging. Still, despite decades, the two never fell out of love with one another. Its said that Barbara, a cocoa complexioned woman who claimed to have come from another world stricken by fights over race, worries of "the Commies", and gripped in the midst of a losing war known as "Vietnam", had somehow dreamed herself into the realms using the "voodoo" magics of her grandmother from a place known as N'Awlins. Its also said that she is the secret behind many of Delvar's strange songs, and she is known to be one of the strangest necromancers in Waterdeep for her disgust in the abusing of the dead (there are those who call her a spirit shaman rather than necromancer).

On the anniversary of the invasion every year, the entire Roaringhorn family is known to make a "second line" progression from the City of the Dead after the hours of midnight which makes its way down to the docks. Those who have seen this strange progression note it to seemingly contain numerous ghostly spirits of musicians who follow Barbara, who leads the march while carrying a silken rainshade decorated with gaudy trinkets. Once they make it to the docks, its said that her dead husband and the Whistling Ghosts appear, whereupon he and they serenade her with a song from her home world called "Under the Boardwalk". On more than one occasion, a hippocampus with a twisted unicorn like horn has been seen to appear in the waters of the docks, whereupon as she passes the many merfolk that come to listen to the music are seen to gain human legs, and many humans that go to the water's edge and reach out are seen to gain a fish's tail. Though these effects are said to wear off, there are rumors that some individuals have gained these effects permanently, so that the two worlds might meet and understand each other better.

But then, I did hear this story from Volo, and we all know how he is.
sleyvas Posted - 10 Jan 2021 : 14:43:09
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:

That is a WONDERFUL story goodsir. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

quote:

That being said, I'm reporting Silvanus to the authorities for keeping a halfling child under his beard. Fortunately for him, I don't think the authorities have a chance of ever catching him.

"That's not Old Man Silvanus! That's a half dozen gnomes kobolds halflings piled up under those robes!"
"And we would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling adventurers!"
"Jinkies!"
"Come on, Scooberminster, let's get some Luiren Spring Cheese snacks!"
[ canned laughter, cut to credits ]

quote:
Originally posted by IMDB (Cast overview, first billed only:)

Fred: Laeral Silverhand
Daphne: Dove Silverhand
Velma: Khelben "Blackstaff"
Shaggy: Volothamp Geddarm
Scooby-Doo: Elminster
Old Man Silvanus: Casey Kasem

Scrappy-Doo: Vangerdahast

I was so overjoyed to hear that they honored Casey Kasem by allowing him to do a new role in this Eternal Epic Drama. Also, the change of having Fred and Velma both in transition (especially with Fred still wearing the ascot scarf) was definitely a modern day twist. The casting director is to be commended.

That being said, they need to quit feeding "Scooby" so many Luiren Spring Cheese snacks, because when Elminster accidentally "let one loose" in the first act, the whole first row had to clear out. He did however play his role perfectly like any dog and absolutely acted as if he hadn't even noticed that he did it.
AJA Posted - 10 Jan 2021 : 01:36:44

Whillan "Tallfellow"
Sweet Whil. Called so for his genial disposition. Dubbed "Tallfellow" not because he comes from that statuesque Hin clan, but because his father was human, and he looms larger than his fellows as a result (full dwarf height, 'e is!). His surname is Dapplebrown, but he usually defaults to one or both of his epithets. Stands slightly hunched, the result of long years of trying to fit in better with his normal-sized kin. Has a large wingspan and large hands, which are surprisingly delicate when crafting lavish cakes stuffed full of apple and plum and flamefruit. Confections are his true passion and he apprentices under Gilded Garshnee, the famous "hearthmaster" (hire-chef), but every wild-moon ('blue moon') he feels the overwhelming itch for adventure and stonedelve, and can be found lurking at the Dripping Dagger or the Yawning Portal, available for hire. He is skilled with sling and club and has killed before, both human and goblinkin, and has some talent at spotting hidden crevice and device.

The Whistling Ghosts
Phantasmal haunting or spectral apparition, Dock Ward. Relatively common spirits found along the lengths of the city docks. Formerly known as Howling Ghosts, Sea Screamers and Voices of the Drowned. Commonly believed to be the spirits of sailors battered and drowned in terrible sea squalls, who found their way back to port with the fury of the storms still a-howling through them. Ever since the invasion of sea creatures in 1369DR their groans have been noticeably quieted and, while their sea-smell remains strong as ever they now barely register noise louder than the creak of caravel timbers or the drumming of driving rain on sailcloth. Nobody seems to know why this is, but the sailhands trying to sleep in their dockside berths certainly appreciate it.

Wimeg
Former envoy (ambassador) of Mirabar to the Lord's Alliance. Died of sleeping sickness in 1364DR, and replaced in office by the dwarf Mithril "Ebonhand" Deepshield. [ Source: SSI Official AD&D Computer Product Treasures of the Savage Frontier. Name/Occupation given. Additional detail by me. ]

Wincling the Fighter
(WIN-sling) Local strongarm (hiresword). Willing to stonedelve. Average height, average build. Dark of hair and facial scruff. Insists that he be referred to by his name and his (self-given) title at all times. Becomes argumentative and combative if called "man-at-arms," "henchman," or "hireling." Carries lantern, shortsword, polearm (bec-de-corbin), 20' of coiled rope and a 10' pole.

Winewise
Cutpurse, leg-breaker and information broker. Haunts the tankard houses and alleys of Trades and Dock Wards. Variously described as "wretch," "brute," and "swindling blackguard." An agent of the High Captains of Luskan.

Widow Silvermane [ Source: The novel Tymora's Luck. Name/Description given ]

The Widow Trees [ A 05/26/04 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Steven Schend. Name/Description given ]

Wildflowers [ Source: Ed Greenwood's Spin-a-Yarn 2009: Night of the Dread Pudding. Name/Description given ]

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2021 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000