Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Evil Fey
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  08:27:20  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings again fellow scribes, I am currently on the move and without a great deal of my resource so I turn once again to your collective knowledge. I am looking for a fey race that would make a suitable cohort for a gold-elven bladesinger (ranger/mage) and agent of the Eldreth Veluuthra. I have considered the quickling, but thought all of you may have some good suggestions. On a couple of related notes does anyone know of a site where the old monsters are compiled and broken down by type (say, for example, fey or desert encounter)? I have checked the wiki's and found them woefully incomplete. Also, there was a fey race somewhere in a 2e product, I don't remember their name, but they were tauric (centaur-like) creatures, very small with antlers on their heads. A cross between a pixie and a small antelope. I want to say it started with an H. Anyway, thank you all in advance. I love this place.

P.S. Please list any sources. Thanks again. Sweet Water and Light Laughter

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  08:59:50  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hybisil?? I probably spelled it wrong...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  09:08:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much older lore about creatures is scattered throughout fiendish folios, monstrous manuals and compendiums across the ether. You may find countless pages which describe individual creatures almost anywhere, many are statted out. Beware that the lifespan of a quickling (in 1E/2E at least) is only some dozen years or so; perhaps not long enough to master the bladesong.

Your antlered fey race might be any sort of creature: Feystag, Elgr, even a Centaur dwelling in the Beastlands. There could be all manner of horned creatures which mix fiendish and fey/sylvan blood. Horned quicklings (not to mention quickling-cambions and quicktieflings) would be nasty opponents.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Nov 2010 09:13:12
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  12:52:35  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

On a couple of related notes does anyone know of a site where the old monsters are compiled and broken down by type (say, for example, fey or desert encounter)?

I've found this site useful http://www.sulerin.com/creatures/creatures.asp?op=index

Edited by - Quale on 22 Nov 2010 12:53:31
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  15:54:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are probably thinking of the Hybsil, which appeared in 3e's Monsters of Faerūn.

The Mystara setting is loaded with great Fey - I highly recommend everyone get their hands on that 2e MC. Actaeon are antlered, Elk-headed humanoids. The setting also features Chevall - lycanthropic centaurs who's normal form is horse - and Pagataurs (flying centaurs). Its also the only setting to ever have a Fey-specific sourcebook released for it (Tall tales of the Wee Folk).

I'm really not seeing any of those three, nor FR's own Hybsil allying with Eldreth Veluuthra, but anything is possible. Redcaps would make a better choice (vicious little buggers), and I recall Unseelie Fey being written-up in a Dragon Annual, IIRC.

There are also some pretty cool culture-specific ones in the Vikings and Celts 2e Campaign Sourcebooks. From what I understand, Aebrynis (Birthright) has a decent amount of fey-lore as well (compared to most other official settings).

Tasloi may be another option, although they are normally found in hotter (jungle) climates.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Nov 2010 15:55:14
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2010 :  16:47:15  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coltpixy?

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  02:31:29  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, thanks for all of the suggestions. It was the Hybsil i was thinking of. Here is what I'm thinking I am going to do. I may use the Unseelie Fairy rules from Dragon #304, to make something of a "fairy mongrelman." I found the Quickling-Template in Advanced Bestiary. I'll probably end up making a Redcap-Template of my own for fairies practicing forbidden magics. I need to decide if I am going to give the creature wings or not. I am inclined to have it use a sling and the Eldritch Stone special ability from the Redcap entry in MM III. I haven't decided yet. My research did turn up some gems, besides those listed above, Fey Folio, Denizens of Darkness, the Tomes of Horror I, II and III, Van Richten's Guide to the Shadow Fey, Monster Geographica - Underground(a SWEET! find, I run an Underdark campaign), Tall Tales of the Wee Folk was good, and both Realms Bestiary's. I appreciate all of your insights and contributions looking forward to more.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  06:41:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2eMM is also one of the most comprehensive sources for monsters around - its like the encyclopedia of D&D critters. Look under the entry for 'Sprite' - there are 1/2 dozen varieties in there.

Vance's twkman are also uber cool. Tiny little blue dudes that ride dragonflies and trade information for salt; Very flavorful.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  07:33:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The two brownies(?) in the movie Willow are entertaining as well. Though unsuited to bladesinging, I'd think.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  18:50:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remind me of Pysk from the Mithgar novels (which I've used in both my GH and FR games).

Which just gave me an idea for a Fey ability!

Most of this should go in the other thread....

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Nov 2010 18:53:36
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  20:18:21  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the idea is crystalizing nicely. In the "Quickling" entry in the MC Annual it states that "no quickling has ever lived beyond 15 without the aid of powerful magic" Well, this particular quickling did not want to die young, so began to dabble in dark magics. In the "Redcap" entry from the MM2 it says that they are "psychotic killers..who live on other peoples pain" and "by dipping their caps in their victims blood, ...they absorb some of the essence of every creature they kill," and "thanks to this ability..they can amass tremendous strength an near invulnerability" So, this Quickling has become something of a vampire, "feeding" off of the pain and spiritual essence of his victims through some dark ritual involving his cap in order to stay alive. What do you all think?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 23 Nov 2010 20:22:58
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  20:52:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Quickling-turned-Redcap...

Brilliant.

Go to Top of Page

Calmar
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  21:59:54  Show Profile Send Calmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds indeed really cool. :)
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  22:26:18  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if Brownies can become Bogarts, I don't see why not. Sounds cool.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  23:39:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All Fey need 'life' (re: Radiant Energy in D&D), and the energies of life are often represented by The Blood (in both Pagan and Christian religions). Note that vampires drink blood to sustain their 'life' (or state of 'unlife', if you prefer). Early D&D vampires were of the 'psychic' type, and drained 'life energies' directly, whereas classical Vampires drink blood to acquire their sustenance. Both are really one and the same - vampires without psychic abilities - be they either too 'young' or just too stupid (or hungry) to bother - stoop to drinking blood to get at the precious 'life energies' (which are stored in The Blood).

Elves are Fey-descendants, and it is canonical that they do receive at least a small portion of their sustenance from sunlight (which I theorize is actually the radiant energy they are absorbing).

Ergo, all fey-blooded creatures need this Radiant/life energy to survive, and the Quicklings 'burn through it' much more rapidly then they can replenish it. They are literally 'starving' for it after using their amazing bursts of speed. Most would have a Feyglade the can replenish their power from, but one that is denied the use of such a place of power - like an Unseelie Fey - may have to stoop to drastic measures to obtain what it needs - human blood and the life-energies it contains.

Spirits, on the other hand, are astral beings and composed of only Radiant energy, which is why so many of the incorporeal undead have life-draining powers. As they use energy they 'dwindle', and cannot replenish their energy as living beings can. Physical undead are usually the reanimated corpse of a person infused with negative energy (which provides the motive force - the 'Animus').

In order to carry these thoughts further I would have to dip perilously close to RW metaphysics, so I won't.

Lets just say that I LOVE the idea of Feral Fey who take their energy any way they can get it.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Nov 2010 23:44:20
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  23:44:13  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You are probably thinking of the Hybsil, which appeared in 3e's Monsters of Faerūn.

Thats the creature I was thinking about. As usual I butchered the name...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  00:02:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I had a brownie do that once.

I told her to just pass the damn thing already.

(Lets see how many people get that)

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  03:22:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I had a brownie do that once.

I told her to just pass the damn thing already.

(Lets see how many people get that)

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  18:46:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was an underdark "fairy" that I remember from dragon, and I think it was redone in the third edition underdark book for the realms. I think it was called the Gloura?? Anyway, I remember it in my head and thinking it made a very good unseelie type "queen" for small groups of fairies.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  23:24:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

There was an underdark "fairy" that I remember from dragon, and I think it was redone in the third edition underdark book for the realms. I think it was called the Gloura?? Anyway, I remember it in my head and thinking it made a very good unseelie type "queen" for small groups of fairies.

'Gloura' is correct -- pg. 88 of 3e's Underdark. And given that they're described as "rare and delicate," your model would probably work too. Though, they are of NG alignment.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  23:45:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also the Unseelie Fey template in the Realms Bestiary, Volume 2 by Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  02:38:44  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There's also the Unseelie Fey template in the Realms Bestiary, Volume 2 by Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa.

Nice. Never seen those. Thanks Wooly.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  07:16:29  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't see the need for a new thread, since this is just a continuation of the original idea, but, it's a little different. I am having trouble with the Redcap-Template I'm working on. Suggestions anyone? I'm considering making the cap similar to a Neirid's soul-shawl. I really am unsure as to which direction to take. Perhaps I'm over-thinking it, I've been known to do that.

Also, in my travels, i found this...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters&tablesort=4

it is a list of monsters from all 3.5 published sources sortable by type (ex. fey, undead etc.) i found it helpful

and this...

http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php

which sorts monsters by enviroment among numerous other useful lists

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 29 Nov 2010 13:17:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  16:05:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

Those are a couple of wonderful resources I like to mention periodically. They're not official canon, though bits of them have made it into official products. Still, they're close enough to canon for my mind.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2010 :  23:36:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

Those are a couple of wonderful resources I like to mention periodically. They're not official canon, though bits of them have made it into official products. Still, they're close enough to canon for my mind.

Indeed. They've even further usefulness now, since the introduction to 4e. With the two volumes of the Bestiary firmly embedded in the 3e framework [though, I suppose with some work, the contents could be updated to 4e], this is information that likely won't ever be fully confirmed or denied in a future product.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2010 :  00:05:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Issue #54 of Dungeon Magazine has an adventure entitled 'Redcap's Rampage'. I have no idea how good it is or even what the plot might be, other then what the title suggests (which may help you if you can get your hands on it).

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  13:32:00  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mentioned this in the Fey Realms thread, but figured I'd bring it up here too. (Sorry if I'm being redundant, Mod) In my quest for enlightenment I came across an old post at Enworld that mentioned a custom PrC, the Bluecap (formerly Redcap) created for gnome characters. It was OLD and the link is dead. I'd love to see this. Does anybody have this stashed away in their archives somewhere? (I read here that nothing on the 'net is ever gone) Is a Redcap Prestige Class the way to go instead of the Template I'm working on? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I'm at something of an impasse.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 29 Nov 2010 13:42:27
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  03:21:51  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's nearly the dreaded day. I was asked about an Evil Santa at Wotc. Whadaya think? I'm sure some of you have given it some thought. Joystealers for Santa's helpers? How about the fat man himself (that dratted Redcap again) or his reindeer?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 18 Dec 2010 03:38:49
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  03:34:35  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evil Santa?! LOL!!! Ooh, can I nominate my step-father for the role? He's like Santa, but niether jolly nor nice. More like Santa spliced with Grumpy and a little bit of "Earl" (from the TV show...)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  03:58:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is SO weird - I actually was going to do a mini-pdf about an old NPC I created (for another system) as a Christmas-present for everyone.

His name is Zantarr Klouse, but the children of Waterdeep call him 'The Toyman'.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  04:59:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is SO weird - I actually was going to do a mini-pdf about an old NPC I created (for another system) as a Christmas-present for everyone.

His name is Zantarr Klouse, but the children of Waterdeep call him 'The Toyman'.

You could start with the links in my Ghosts of Christmas Past: Santa in 3.x thread.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000