Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Cambions of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  06:47:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Aside from Bane's son Xvim...are there any other noted Cambions in the Forgotten Realms?

Cambions used to be one of my favorite demons. I thought so especially when you could have an evil wizard chain a demon (of little value/power) and then through acquiring of slave-girls very quickly have many little Cambions running around! I did this with one wizard who had many Cambions in his service who were born just that way.

The only thing I never understood is if they grew to maturity very quickly or not?

I would appreciate anyone's insight on Cambion lore for the Forgotten Realms.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  06:59:12  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kaanyr Vhok from Hellgate Keep and the WotSQ and his horde of tanarukks.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 03 Apr 2011 07:02:27
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  07:16:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sarya Dlardrageth was a half-elf cambion in 2e, but of course she was turned into a fey'ri in 3e. Also her son, Ryvvik Dlardrageth, was as well and he was a psionist in 2e. And along the same lines there was Xhalh Dlardrageth, a fighter, who was the son of Contess Sarya's twin brother Khuumal.

That's all I found in my npc files from 2e, besides Kaanyr Vhok. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 03 Apr 2011 07:17:17
Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  07:20:45  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sarya is fey'ri? I could swear that she's a half-fiend. I'll check my books. Sarya in FR Wiki for now.
EDIT: Nope, she not fey'ri. Sun elf half-fiend, dougther of a balor, as is stated on the Wiki page i linked and in Lords of Darkness book.

Fighting for order! - Join me in the battle!

Edited by - AleksanderTheGreat on 03 Apr 2011 07:29:21
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  07:21:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In addition to cambions and alu-fiends I know of draegloth (drow-glabrezu), tanarukks (orc-fiends), azerbloods (shield dwarf-outsiders, sometimes fiend spawned), and of course daemonfey (sun elf-tanar'ri; the fey'ri are essentially daemonfey tieflings). "Half-fiend" is often used to refer to the offspring of a fiend and a nonhuman (such as dragons and even celestials) or when racial parentage is unknown, half-fiends are often chimeras.

(baatezu) Magadon, tiefling-like cambion son of Mephistopheles and some human woman of no great significance.
(tanar'ri) Thraxxia, alu-fiend daughter of the demon lord Graz'zt and a (now dead) human monk.
(tanar'ri) Kaanyr Vhok, cambion son of a marilith and a human male.
(tanar'ri) Sarya Dlardrageth, daemonfey daughter of a balor and sun elf female.
(tanar'ri) Xhalph Dlardrageth, son of Sarya, sired by a glabrezu.
(tanar'ri) Rywik Dlardrageth, son of Sarya, sired by a vrock.
(blood fiend) Mari Agneh, human female, was transformed into an insane half-fiend by Tsagoth's vampirism.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  07:23:15  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on your definition of Cambion. Most recently, I think that is the child of a Succubus. I believe Sarya is the daughter of a Balor.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 03 Apr 2011 07:23:57
Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  07:27:28  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe he means half-fiends in general?

Fighting for order! - Join me in the battle!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  07:44:38  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may have gotten that wrong. I remember a discussion along these lines not too long ago and somebody corrected me then.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  07:48:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cambions are the sons of demons mating with a mortal woman. Alu-fiends are the daughters of female demons mating with men.

That is how I remember it.

Sarya is an odd duck to me because she should be male!

I know they changed the rules to create the half-fiend template (which I thought was cool!); but specifically I'm asking about Cambions:

male demons (half-demons?) who are the offspring of a union between a demon and a woman.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  07:59:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still use the distinctions much as explained through 1E/2E:

Cambion is always male and sired by a male baatezu and a human female. The term was expanded to include male offspring from any fiend and a human (regardless of parent genders, though the usual assumption is that the fiend is male).

Alu-demon is always female and sired by a human male and a succubus (tanar'ri). This term was expanded to also include female offspring from any human-tanar'ri pairing (regardless of parent genders).

Alu-fiend is the altered term of alu-demon which can refer to any female offspring of a human and a fiend (regardless of parent genders); though it might imply non-tanar'ri when alu-demon might instead be used.

Tiefling is used when the fiendish blood is diluted (by human blood) to less than half. Mongrel fiend/human mixes are often called tieflings.

Daemonfey refers to the offspring of a sun elf and a tanar'ri (regardles of any genders); they are unrelated to daemons (yugoloths).

Fey'ri are basically daemonfey (sun elf) tieflings.

Half-fiend is a vague term used when no others are known or can apply.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 03 Apr 2011 08:12:30
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  16:59:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure "daemonfey" isn't actually a racial distinction, but rather the name for a group of creatures (originating from House Dlardrageth's pact with demons and led in 3e by Sarya Dlardrageth), much like "zhentarim" isn't a type of human but an organization.

Within the daemonfey, you have cambions/alu-fiends like Sarya and her brood, as well as their offspring, fey'ri, which are the product of matings between full-blooded sun elves and the more demony of the daemonfey (like Sarya, etc).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  17:10:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're probably right, Erik. I'm not sure the distinction is meaningful, unless of course there are elf-spawned half-fiends who are unrelated to the daemonfey.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  17:43:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And that's why I said they turned her into a fey'ri. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Pretty sure "daemonfey" isn't actually a racial distinction, but rather the name for a group of creatures (originating from House Dlardrageth's pact with demons and led in 3e by Sarya Dlardrageth), much like "zhentarim" isn't a type of human but an organization.

Within the daemonfey, you have cambions/alu-fiends like Sarya and her brood, as well as their offspring, fey'ri, which are the product of matings between full-blooded sun elves and the more demony of the daemonfey (like Sarya, etc).

Cheers

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  03:19:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thread in the Chamber of Sages talks about a cambion who "ruled" Impiltur for a short time.

Ed's "Secrets of the Magister" sourcebook talks about a cambion born to one of the women leading an Incipient Clan (see the Magister roster).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  03:40:15  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

My thread in the Chamber of Sages talks about a cambion who "ruled" Impiltur for a short time.

Ed's "Secrets of the Magister" sourcebook talks about a cambion born to one of the women leading an Incipient Clan (see the Magister roster).

-- George Krashos

I take it the word cambion didn't come up in the thread? A Search didn't reveal it...any particular page?

I appreciate it!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  06:30:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

-- George Krashos

I take it the word cambion didn't come up in the thread? A Search didn't reveal it...any particular page?

I appreciate it!

Hehe, there's only 13 pages in the thread, all crammed with FR goodness. You should read them all and laud me to the heavens. Or you could just go to p.6 and get what you need.

Oh, and I always thought that demons mating with humans produced half-fiends. The offspring of half-fiends made cambions - but I am likely wrong about that.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 04 Apr 2011 06:33:45
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2011 :  07:01:05  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

I appreciate it!

Hehe, there's only 13 pages in the thread, all crammed with FR goodness. You should read them all and laud me to the heavens. Or you could just go to p.6 and get what you need.

Oh, and I always thought that demons mating with humans produced half-fiends. The offspring of half-fiends made cambions - but I am likely wrong about that.

-- George Krashos

Thanks George! I actually did read it before, but was after Telkiira lore at the time...then Mantle lore. Somehow missed the Cambion reference!

Originally, a Cambion was produced by a Demon mating with a mortal woman (any race really, as long as humanoid) and the only thing being that Lesser Demons created Common Cambions, while Demon Lords and such created "Baron" or "Marquis" Cambions.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  05:54:10  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agrosh "the Scaled" is perfect for what I was looking for!

Bane has Xvim as a son...and Eltab has Agrosh.

Now I have a new baddie for my game!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  06:46:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THE most famous Cambion in D&D history is Iuz the Old, also called 'the evil', and lord of the Realm of Iuz in the Greyhawk Campaign Setting. His father is Graz'zt, the demon lord, by Iggwilv, the witch-Queen of Perrenland.

He is now a demi-god (does that mean he has surpassed 'daddy'?), which appears to have happened through forced worship by his subjects (which proves you CAN force your own ascension on the cosmos).

He is also enemies of Vecna, who has a thin association with FR through Ravenloft (and the Realmsfolk who wound-up there).

I used to think Cambions were half-devils and Alufiends half-demons, but nowadays it actually makes more sense the other way around (not that either of those is correct).

Shouldn't that make all Draegloths Cambions?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Apr 2011 00:41:49
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  07:07:00  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally Alu-Fiends and Cambions were BOTH Demons.

Iuz was one of my favorite baddies in Greyhawk...and one of the reasons I was looking for a major Cambion in the Forgotten Realms that wasn't Xvim. I need a badguy Cambion to place in all the modules to replace Iuz!

The Temple of Elemental Evil will now have Agrosh "the Scaled" in place of Iuz!

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  07:11:11  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Merlin is also a cambion in most accounts, sired by a "demon" with human mother ... he has dragon (or perhaps demon-dragon) blood in other accounts.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  07:25:40  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Merlin is also a cambion in most accounts, sired by a "demon" with human mother ... he has dragon (or perhaps demon-dragon) blood in other accounts.

The original printing of Merlin was that his Father was an Incubus (Succubus polymorphed into a male! ). Fella was pretty bad:

175 Hit Points, Druid 14, Illusionist 10, Wizard 15 and 300 Psionic Strength! Not to mention regeneration, all 18's in his stats (except Str 13 and Int 19) and such...bad mofo.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  13:26:31  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The original printing of Merlin was that his Father was an Incubus (Succubus polymorphed into a male! ). Fella was pretty bad:

175 Hit Points, Druid 14, Illusionist 10, Wizard 15 and 300 Psionic Strength! Not to mention regeneration, all 18's in his stats (except Str 13 and Int 19) and such...bad mofo.

Where was this "original printing" (i.e. what sourcebook is it in?)

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  16:49:43  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

quote:

Where was this "original printing" (i.e. what sourcebook is it in?)

Deities and Demigods, 1980 TSR, page 20.

The whole Arthurian Mythos is outlined starting a couple pages before that.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000