Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Monks of Sune
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  02:40:22  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I remember seeing one such NPC as an example of the Sun Soul Monk PrC.
Are there more? And how would you RP such character? I'm mostly interested in the Lawful aspect of the Monk.
I was watching a workout video on YouTube and it inspired my to create a Monk follower of Sune who's promoting exercise and diet as a means to become more beatiful. What do you think?

Fighting for order! - Join me in the battle!

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  03:10:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not entirely canonical, but Lee Nelson did generate new material for some monastic orders here:- http://candlekeep.com/library/articles/monks.htm

Tom Costa provided a variant monk, called the Varde Elgg, in his unofficial PDF material for PrCs in the Realms:- http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/prestige_classes.html

See the web enhancement for Faiths & Pantheons also, for brief listings of deity-based monkish orders:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020504a

The 2e accessories - Lands of Intrigue and Empires of the Shining Sea - also cover several monastic orders, including one based on Ilmater.

See the FRCS as well. Note however that these monastic orders were made up for the FRCS to insert 3e monks into the Realms. Almost certainly, unlike almost every other aspect of the Realms, there's little or no extant unpublished lore.

Additionally, here's what Steven Schend had to say about several Ilmatari monkish orders active in the Lands of Intrigue:-

"Abbeys & Cloisters of Ilmater
The ten cloisters of Ilmater were established over the past 400 years, and three of them remarkably came into being during the Alemandrian Interregnum. They are placed throughout the country such that a pilgrim/devotee can, with some effort, travel from one to another within two days' ride. They are all manors of sorts, with protective walls around at least a chapel, chapter house, stables, and gardens. Some are more opulent with libraries, monks' quarters separate from the chapter house, or even garrisons for an affiliated knightly order. Each has a specific goal for its faithful, in accord with the saint after which the house is named. While commoners see no distinction among them other than their services and ages, some are more prestigious within church hierarchies of Tethyr simply by their famous founders or associated saints. There are more notes and details about these
monasteries, including the various duties of each house, within the various county sections below. The cloisters of Ilmater are noted under their full names, though everyone refers to them simply by their saint's names (i.e. "St. Alaric's, St. Cabram's, etc.). They are listed by age (first number), and each has a second number, which ranks its prestige among the clergy:

1/2) Convent of St. Rhynda: Symbol=Night violet (deep bluish-purple
flower). Dedicated in the Year of Bright Nights (985 DR).
2/7) Missionary of St. Cabram: Symbol=Sunset daisy (deep orange).
Dedicated in the Year of the Stone Rose (1017 DR).
3/4) Monastery of St. Natan: Symbol=Calim lily (local pale blue floating
lily). Dedicated in the Year of the Keening Gale (1050 DR).
4/5) Seminary of St. Ostus: Symbol=Morning glory. Dedicated in the Year
of Shambles (1088 DR).
5/1) Convent of St. Teresa: Symbol=Bloodlily (scarlet lily). Dedicated in
the Year of Azure Blood (1126 DR).
6/3) Abbey of St. Alaric: Symbol=Briar rose. Dedicated in the Year of the
Howling Moon (1130 DR).
7/8) Hospice of St. Corin: Symbol=Thistle. Dedicated in the Year of the
Yellow Rose (1242 DR).
8/10) St. Ramedar's Cloister: Symbol=Rock violet (pale, miniature ground
flower). Dedicated in the Year of the Dragon (1352 DR).
9/9) Monastery of St. Domin: Symbol=Mountain daisy (tiny, ochre-yellow
ground-crawling flowers). Dedicated in the Year of Maidens (1361 DR).
10/6) Priory of St. Silvyr: Symbol=Tuarlye (blue flower with green
highlights indigenous only to the Forest of Tethir). Dedicated in the Year
of the Staff (1366 DR)."

The Broken Ones receive a brief nod in the F&P web enhancement -- but little true details are revealed beyond their mention as a monk order devoted to Ilmater.

The Dark Moon monks receive further treatment in Lords of Darkness.

Tom Reid said he expanded on those initial 'Hin Fist' details that were included in the 3e FRCS, for Shining South.

For the Monks of the Long Death... see Lords of Darkness.

And unless I've overlooked a new reference, there is almost nothing in print about the Old Order, other than the FRCS and the F&P WE.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  03:20:57  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Sage you've done your homework. Just one question...

" Yurtus – The Rotting Ones (LE)

- A very evil group of monks they spread diseas and decay wherever they go. This group started with Orcs, and Half-Orcs but has spread like a disease to many other races.
- May multiclass as Assassin, Divine Disciple, and or Monk of the Long Death as long as monk level is higher than any other class level. At 5th level monks gain Diseased Body which acts like Purity of Body, since these monks are introduced to so many diseases, but also they inflict disease upon their enemies when using unarmed attacks. May choose disease of their choice when they gain this ability and lose 2 points of Charisma." - Monk Orders of the Realms, Lee Nelson

Who is Yurtus?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 05 Apr 2011 03:24:37
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  04:22:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can a Monk of Sune slap the ugly right off you?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  04:49:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Wow! Sage you've done your homework. Just one question...

" Yurtus – The Rotting Ones (LE)

- A very evil group of monks they spread diseas and decay wherever they go. This group started with Orcs, and Half-Orcs but has spread like a disease to many other races.
- May multiclass as Assassin, Divine Disciple, and or Monk of the Long Death as long as monk level is higher than any other class level. At 5th level monks gain Diseased Body which acts like Purity of Body, since these monks are introduced to so many diseases, but also they inflict disease upon their enemies when using unarmed attacks. May choose disease of their choice when they gain this ability and lose 2 points of Charisma." - Monk Orders of the Realms, Lee Nelson

Who is Yurtus?

I'm assuming it's a reference to Yurtus, the White-Handed -- one of the orc gods listed in the Old Grey Box.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  22:21:22  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Can a Monk of Sune slap the ugly right off you?

I'm not sure about that, but I'd think so.

I did run a campaign a while ago with a Palidan of Sune. The player running the plaidan decided that the only theologicaly proper way for her "lay on hands" ability to work was to kiss the wounded person. This way the palidan could demonstrate Sune's love for every person as she healed them.

It actually worked in her favor when she was captured by a Zhent Skymage and was being flown back to a jail cell in Dagger Falls. Heavily wounded, she was able to discretly kiss her own hand and heal at least some of her wounds.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly