Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Spaming on Candlekeep? Oh noes!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  15:00:04  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It annoys my like Hell. I can tolerate light-hearted, funny and witty chating between regulars here and there if it won't go for too long and doesn't make a big offtopic. But when I see posts consisting only of ONE FREAKIN EMOTICON and nothing else... it irks me and I ask myself: What is Moderation doing? Am I the only one who finds it disturbing? Maybe I have some mental disease that makes me easly irritated? What are your comments on spaming?
(I honestly want to figure out if there isn't something wrong with me, because I don't want to disturb this fine halls with my rude or antagonistic behaviour, which is starting to show up more and more.)

Fighting for order! - Join me in the battle!

Edited by - AleksanderTheGreat on 12 May 2011 15:04:03

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  15:41:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Candlekeep CoC does technically prohibit scribes from simply contributing "me too!" and other meaningless posts simply to spam up their postcount. But, as always, our mods prefer to be lenient with trivial offenses and instead focus on resolving the major problems.

lol, ths is teh internet ... u will b offended by some ppl no matter wht teh rulez r, just the way it iz ;)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  16:18:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, "spamming" doesn't happen on Candlekeep. Since spamming is the posting of threads and such from outside "bots" for selling products, that's been locked out here.

Now, the "me, too" think doesn't actually happen that often. Normally, it's when there is some drift and people are just being a bit light-hearted on the subject.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  16:38:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

But, as always, our mods prefer to be lenient with trivial offenses and instead focus on resolving the major problems.
Arik has the right of it.

Wooly and I usually prefer to let such matters simply fade without drawing too much attention to them. We've both learnt from experience that heavy-handed moderation across-the-board usually results in nothing more than creating more problems than it solves.

Now, I'm not suggesting that the reason for Aleksander's post should receive no Mod-attention at all. But, and I will personally admit to this, I think it's just simply a practice by some of our regular scribes, that the majority of us have all largely grown accustomed to.

Maybe we're at fault for not curbing such practices sooner, since it's now apparent that a problem has developed as a result. So I think Wooly and I will need to cogitate further on this, before we decide on how to proceed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Jun 2011 08:17:02
Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  17:54:48  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, there is no problem, there is only me who just can't stand such behaviour. Boards native to my country are much more strict on rules, there's no leniency. you brake rules, you are warned. It's simple as that. There is no place for leniency in the job of a Moderator. I mean, why is there a CoC in the first place? Why?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  18:01:18  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to post something else to continue this debate, but two things occur to me:

A) This has nothing to do with the Realms.

B) Your sig identifies you as a troll.

Later.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  18:14:03  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh My God! You know?! And I was certain that my disguise was perfect!

Dude, you are calling me a troll... because I have "Trolling" written in my sig? Are you for real? I can delete that if you're a "rate a book by it's cover" person. Shesh.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  18:59:15  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you reference that Trolling is an Art, it's giving others the perception that you do indeed Troll but in an artsy form. Not saying you do or that your posts come off that way (though I do feel they have a rather argumentitive connotation) but it's a warning flag to others to take your posts with half-heartedness because they think you'll probably Troll at some point.
Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  19:12:02  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah... People have lots of things in their signatures. So what? I would have to be REALLY STUPID to troll and admit to it in my sig.
Funny that Ashe came to his "brilliant realisation" after I send him a message with the name of the scribe that I named "The Spamer" in this scroll. Probably it's a coincidence.

Edited by - AleksanderTheGreat on 12 May 2011 19:17:46
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  19:55:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AleksanderTheGreat

Yeah... People have lots of things in their signatures. So what? I would have to be REALLY STUPID to troll and admit to it in my sig.
Funny that Ashe came to his "brilliant realisation" after I send him a message with the name of the scribe that I named "The Spamer" in this scroll. Probably it's a coincidence.

That was a coincidence. I hadn't read the message until after my reply.

The point I'm making is that this entire discussion has nothing to do with Realmslore. Certain posts annoy you, that's fine. If you feel they are abusing the CoC, that's fine as well. Notify the moderators and move on. To create a thread where you do nothing but complain about your pet peeve just comes across as self-serving and a little rabble-rousing (i.e. trolling).

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  20:05:02  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny, because I DID message Sage, two times and the first time was 2 weeks ago. I see NO improvment on this situation. Rather, it has worsened.
Notice in what board you are - "Site Content". This thread is about the site. And I will complain as much as I like. I didn't get any reprimends from Sage or Wooly. They take it seriously. You don't have to if it doesn't concern you.

To the Moderators: Say just one word and I will shut up. I respect autority and will heed your request. But until I get the word, I WILL do what it takes to deal with anything that irritates me. One of this things is the breaking of rules. Sue me.

Edited by - AleksanderTheGreat on 12 May 2011 20:15:06
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  21:29:04  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aleksander, personally if find this thread more inflammatory than when scribes just quote another scribe's post with a emoticon. I know what you are trying to do, but your continual bickering with Ashe on this thread has been the most disruptive thing for me at the 'Keep today.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  21:55:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think people need to relax a bit, and to realize that different people have different posting styles. I, personally, do not consider it spam to reply with only an emoticon or two -- I've done it more than once, myself, and I think that sometimes an emoticon is the best way to express something.

What I consider spam is already more than adequately covered in the CoC:

quote:
It is not permitted for members to create threads or posts simply to advertise other websites, forums or web services. Feel free to add a link to other sites within your profile signature, but all other advertising should be avoided without first obtaining permission from the Head Moderator.

I have not seen this type of posting, so I have not acted.

As I say, I think it comes down to simple posting style. We've all seen, more than once, that posts ignored or disregarded by some posters can be considered offensive or irritating by others. I think that's what's going on right here.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AleksanderTheGreat
Seeker

90 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  22:17:26  Show Profile Send AleksanderTheGreat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hawk, I am in awe of your superpowers to spot trolls.

I think that I just remove myself from this board. Think of me what you want, I don't care...

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2011 :  22:30:42  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hawk, I am in awe of your superpowers to spot trolls.

I think that I just remove myself from this board. Think of me what you want, I don't care...
I have not called or implied that you are a troll. I was just letting you know that I have found this scroll more disruptive to my daily stroll through the 'Keep than anything else. I am not trying to drive you away, I just think you are nitpicking something that does not need to be nitpicked. You, however, have called people "spammers" (not necessarily that word), implied that our dear Moderators are slackers, and have engaged in verbal sparring with Ashe as to whether or not you are a troll. I do not think that you are a troll, neither do I think that they people you referred to were spammers; and I definitely do not think that our Moderators are slackers. Name-calling is definitely a worse violation of the CoC than quoting with just and emoticon IMHO. Now, I am going to avoid further posts on this scroll, lest I be further drawn in by you as well.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  01:07:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To the Moderators: Say just one word and I will shut up. I respect autority and will heed your request. But until I get the word, I WILL do what it takes to deal with anything that irritates me. One of this things is the breaking of rules. Sue me.
I don't like saying shut up to anyone, so I'll just ask you to please stop. Now.

If you wish to address this further, contact me privately.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  19:52:27  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik
lol, ths is teh internet ... u will b offended by some ppl no matter wht teh rulez r, just the way it iz ;)

EDIT, Oh, wait, I'm not supposed to do that, am I?

Okay, on a less facetious note, sometimes (used sparingly) a well chosen emoticon can be just as effective, and amusing, as a huge swathe of text as far as I am concerned.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate

Edited by - Lily M Green on 13 May 2011 19:59:50
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2011 :  08:47:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Indeed, Lily. Though I recommend using only a single or multiple emoticons as a reply be done sparingly...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2011 :  13:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes! One forum I frequent, which was a breakaway from another, has a limit of 5 emoticons per post (and that includes quoted replies) as a direct reaction to the obscene overuse of the things by the 'OXO' brigade on the original forum.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  16:20:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Might be better if it's per post per day as well. Say, 3 posts. Though that's rather inconvenient on the Mods' part.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  14:42:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't see how adding more rules will help clarify behaviour boundaries. We're all adult(ish) and know how to behave respectfully in proper company. Those few who cannot or will not adapt to social norms will be assisted by the moderators, one way or another ... rules be damned.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000