Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Time of Troubles 2.0 - Your opinion?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  20:56:48  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still don't think they know who Ao is. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  21:30:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting

A guess this means the chosen of Mystra are going to be in alot of trouble with no patron deity

Bane and Mask must be over the moon with what happaned to Cyric! Bane will be able to reclaim the Strife portfolio and Mask Intrigue

Cyric being locked away for a thousand years and presumably not being able to answer the prayers of his faithly will likely die of neglect before hes released

Wonder of Bhaal and Mykrul will make a come back?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  21:39:30  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
An upstart like Cyric should not have the same DR as Tyr, however F&P is not at my finger tips.

They may not have exactly(a couple divine ranks away) followed the rules, but you can't say it's far reaching to have Cyric fooling Tyr.

Edited by - Skeptic on 15 Sep 2007 21:40:02
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  21:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 1384 DR, Tyr kills Helm in a romantic misunderstanding over the heart of Tymora. Though nothing can be proved, the gods believe that Cyric is somehow involved in Helm's death.

This could be Cyric in disguise Cyric kills Helm and blames it on Tyr, then there are no judge and no trail.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 15 Sep 2007 21:59:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  22:04:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

A guess this means the chosen of Mystra are going to be in alot of trouble with no patron deity

Or, since they already contain some divine essence, one or more could wind up as demigods -- if not getting a full-on promotion to godhood (though I don't see Elminster as a deity).

quote:

I don't see a need for Bhaal as a deity, and Myrkul is happy not being a deity. The fact that Ao didn't see fit to reinstate him after the ToT makes it less likely, to me at least, that he'll get bumped back up now.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Sep 2007 22:06:43
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  22:18:05  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

quote:
An upstart like Cyric should not have the same DR as Tyr, however F&P is not at my finger tips.

They may not have exactly(a couple divine ranks away) followed the rules, but you can't say it's far reaching to have Cyric fooling Tyr.

Yes, it is. Why? Because Tyr sees through such manipulations, being the God of Justice. And I disagree about a 'couple of Divine Ranks' not mattering -- after all, they are meant to 'measure' a deity's power. If Cyric had manipulated one of the more 'passionate' or emotional deities (prone to violence), such as Tempus, Talos or Garagos -- I'd find it a lot more reasonable. Besides, how would he even accomplish this feat, if all this happened in the House of the Triad, which is the 'seat' of Tyr's power?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  22:47:13  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

quote:

Yes, it is. Why? Because Tyr sees through such manipulations, being the God of Justice. And I disagree about a 'couple of Divine Ranks' not mattering -- after all, they are meant to 'measure' a deity's power. If Cyric had manipulated one of the more 'passionate' or emotional deities (prone to violence), such as Tempus, Talos or Garagos -- I'd find it a lot more reasonable. Besides, how would he even accomplish this feat, if all this happened in the House of the Triad, which is the 'seat' of Tyr's power?

I must agree with Asgetrion, but keep in mind that Cyric and Shar works together and it’s not only Cyric fooling Tyr.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  23:17:08  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tell you one things thats going to be interesting one of my players is running a Favored soul of Helm in my Waterdeep campaign when 1374 comes around things are going to get interesting...... (presumably Helms portfolios will be past to Torm or maybe the Red Knight)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  23:19:28  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Yes, it is. Why? Because Tyr sees through such manipulations, being the God of Justice. And I disagree about a 'couple of Divine Ranks' not mattering -- after all, they are meant to 'measure' a deity's power.

Tyr has 1 DR more than Cyric.. but Tyr is blind

However I don't really care how much "possible" it is and more how interesting it is for the FR "metaplot".

Edited by - Skeptic on 15 Sep 2007 23:21:26
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  23:24:10  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what I just realized:

in a year or two the storm of outrage over these changes will have ceased and new books will be out on the market promoting all that are the Realms from now one and most likely the Realms we all love will be not more than an old shoe noone wears anymore, a realm 'only the old folks speak of'. That is, if we will still be speaking of it. Hopefully.........

I am truely sad.........

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  01:01:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Myrkul isn't making a comeback. Unless there'll be a complete turn around of his [2e and 3e] current state-of-mind once 4e is established, I just don't see it. In fact, what's left of Myrkul himself doesn't seem to want to be a deity again. This was explicitly stated in the City of Splendors boxed set:-
quote:
Myrkul actually enjoys his new existence and the ability to foment dissent, chaos, and death without the strictures inherent in being one of Ao's gods; his greatest satisfaction is in disrupting the organization of the Cyric-worshipers and in destroying any worshipers of Mystra (who caused Myrkul's destruction).
I don't think it's really any surprise that Myrkul "enjoys" his current state. Being somewhat removed from under Ao's divine thumb would certainly have its advantages... especially for a former deity who still likes to meddle in mortal affairs -- fear and terror can still be powerful "weapons of influence" in his arsenal, just as his unpredictability still would be.

As it is... I do like the idea of Myrkul in this state. If I had followed the path of the ToT in my campaign, 'tis likely this version of Myrkul would indeed be a part of my FR.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Sep 2007 01:03:54
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  02:23:13  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

I also speculated a reborn Halaster. Personally I want to see Mystra back. No Mystra means no Chosen, means decline of the Sisters and that's poopy to me.

But Halaster don't die. That gossip is all misinformation of the moonstars, Mirt, Durnan, and Tsarra, to free Waterdeep of a great influx of adventurers: a well tailored lie, and a lot of fools run to the underhalls, make a visit to the mad mage.

Don't believe in all that is said in Waterdeep! The Blackstaff is always manipulating history.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  02:26:35  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
P.S.: yes, was exactly that way (well, a little more elaborated) that I handled this in my campaigns. My realms are not free of the machinations of Halaster...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  02:42:54  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, the other thing about the Tyr bit is not that he's just being fooled, but he's actually acting completely against character here. So they're saying Cyric dominated Tyr? And to me, and I think a lot of people, cutting out a lot of gods doesn't seem interesting in the metaplot.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  05:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Disgusting.

I may say more as I gain some sleep, but to be honest my first response is disgusting. There is no way to properly and in-game explain any of this and hold true to the laws and physics.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  08:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having mulled the news I have found that there is a way where it can fit with what we know of the deities

Tyr to Helm: I want you to travel to Tymoras realm as my emissary and see if a marriage can be arranged between myself and her.

Helm: Very well I will see what can be done

LATER

Cyric approaches Tyr in the guise of Torm (Cyric has a history of disguising himself as other deities. See Prince of Lies)

Cyric to Tyr: My lord I have troubling news I have recently seen Helm
and Tymora together and he seems to be woeing her for himself!

Tyr confronts Helm and accuses him of betraying Tyrs trust.

Helm being innocent of Tyrs accusations is offended and being more of a warrior than orator demands that the accusation be tested in Trial by combat (To Helms thinking there can be no other way that Tyrs slander can be defended)

Tyr agrees to Helms demand (Trial by combat is an acceptable form of justice for Tyrans(See Neverwinter Nights 2) and while he would have prefered I more civilized way of resolving the charges it was the accused who put forward the demand for a Trial by combat.

Tyr and Helm fight and Tyr kills Helm.....

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  09:10:52  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Myrkul isn't making a comeback. Unless there'll be a complete turn around of his [2e and 3e] current state-of-mind once 4e is established, I just don't see it. In fact, what's left of Myrkul himself doesn't seem to want to be a deity again. This was explicitly stated in the City of Splendors boxed set:-
quote:
Myrkul actually enjoys his new existence and the ability to foment dissent, chaos, and death without the strictures inherent in being one of Ao's gods; his greatest satisfaction is in disrupting the organization of the Cyric-worshipers and in destroying any worshipers of Mystra (who caused Myrkul's destruction).
I don't think it's really any surprise that Myrkul "enjoys" his current state. Being somewhat removed from under Ao's divine thumb would certainly have its advantages... especially for a former deity who still likes to meddle in mortal affairs -- fear and terror can still be powerful "weapons of influence" in his arsenal, just as his unpredictability still would be.

As it is... I do like the idea of Myrkul in this state. If I had followed the path of the ToT in my campaign, 'tis likely this version of Myrkul would indeed be a part of my FR.

There are many questions that are not answered yet. Why would a greater duty suddenly want to walk around mortals?

We know

- Yes he loved interfering with mortal affairs
- Yes he were tiered of Ao

And when we see what he is doing in Ferun after the times of Trouble

- Destroying any worshipers of Mystra
- Disrupting the organization of the Cyric-worshipers

What is he (my opinion from books)

This (mastermind) - The mind behind stealing the tablets of fate (under the time of trouble) from Ao – A former greater deity in Ferun

A former Greater Deity that suddenly wants to walk among mortals must have a bigger plan. My thoughts on this are that Myrkul gave up his status as Great deity fore something greater.

I am not saying that he tries to get back to good hood but I think he is up to something big.

Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  09:26:57  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tyr agrees to Helms demand (Trial by combat is an acceptable form of justice for Tyrans(See Neverwinter Nights 2) and while he would have prefered I more civilized way of resolving the charges it was the accused who put forward the demand for a Trial by combat.

Not a bad concept altogether, Dargoth. But you have to remember that Neverwinter Nights 2 or any other cRPG cannot be seen as a canon or reliable source of Realmslore.

I'm wondering what will happen to duergars now, after losing their patron deity. Is Abbathor going to put his hands on them?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  14:38:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

There are many questions that are not answered yet. Why would a greater duty suddenly want to walk around mortals?

We know

And when we see what he is doing in Ferun after the times of Trouble

- Destroying any worshipers of Mystra
- Disrupting the organization of the Cyric-worshipers

This (mastermind) - The mind behind stealing the tablets of fate (under the time of trouble) from Ao – A former greater deity in Ferun

A former Greater Deity that suddenly wants to walk among mortals must have a bigger plan. My thoughts on this are that Myrkul gave up his status as Great deity fore something greater.

I am not saying that he tries to get back to good hood but I think he is up to something big.

I disagree. He and Bane didn't expect Ao to act -- or that any response from him would be ineffective. He didn't plan to lose his godhood, and he certainly didn't plan to be killed at the hands of a mortal. The only reason his existence didn't totally end was because of chance -- had the Crown of Horns not been there, Myrkul would be no more.

I can not see how any of this could have been his plan... What could a deity want bad enough that would justify going thru all that?

Myrkul is an interesting case. But, given all the existing lore, I don't see how we can read anything into it. Myrkul is making the best of his new existence, and, luckily for him, he really enjoys what he can do now.

Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  16:49:20  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa. I don't mind change for the sake of change. It can be a good thing now and then to mix things up, but the Realms have a real predisposition and tarnished history of deific change just for the sake of deific change, and that's something I don't think should happen every few decades, if ever. No more Helm because of a lover's spat? Heh. I don't think so. They don't have to change up the pantheon of Realms deities just because a new edition is on the horizon, but they seem to like to do it anyway just for spite. I don't get it and I won't use any of it, just like I didn't use any of the ridiculous ToT. This is just ToT2: The Even More Ridiculous.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  17:23:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't see it.

Unless, as Wooly noted above, Myrkul actually had clear knowledge of his eventual fall and ultimate destruction at the hands of a mortal... there's virtually no way that he, even as a deity, had the ability to "plan ahead" and strive for something better once he'd assumed his new form. There's not even subtle hints in the Realmslore concerning the Time of Troubles, that Myrkul possessed some secret knowledge about his fate.

That's not to say that Myrkul didn't go into the Time of Troubles with a clear plan. Bane, Myrkul, and Bhaal were obviously intent on seizing whatever measure of greater power they could for themselves, with the theft of the Tablets of Fate. But that's largely the extent of it.

What came next was unexpected for Myrkul. What he is now, and what his intentions are while in his new form, are clearly an unexpected event -- as the tidbit I originally quoted above, notes. We're specifically told that "Myrkul actually enjoys his new existence." That indicates that Myrkul's present state wasn't what he'd expected after his fall. It's an unusual, and largely unexpected, outcome that he's intending on making the most of.

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  19:54:08  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I don't see it.

Unless, as Wooly noted above, Myrkul actually had clear knowledge of his eventual fall and ultimate destruction at the hands of a mortal... there's virtually no way that he, even as a deity, had the ability to "plan ahead" and strive for something better once he'd assumed his new form. There's not even subtle hints in the Realmslore concerning the Time of Troubles, that Myrkul possessed some secret knowledge about his fate.

That's not to say that Myrkul didn't go into the Time of Troubles with a clear plan. Bane, Myrkul, and Bhaal were obviously intent on seizing whatever measure of greater power they could for themselves, with the theft of the Tablets of Fate. But that's largely the extent of it.

What came next was unexpected for Myrkul. What he is now, and what his intentions are while in his new form, are clearly an unexpected event -- as the tidbit I originally quoted above, notes. We're specifically told that "Myrkul actually enjoys his new existence." That indicates that Myrkul's present state wasn't what he'd expected after his fall. It's an unusual, and largely unexpected, outcome that he's intending on making the most of.

Thanks “The Sage” and “Wooly Rupert” fore your wives on this former greater deity.

I think I will hit the books and see if I misunderstood something.

But I still have one issue on my mind.

This greater deity did not want to be greater good again, he chose to walk among mortals right? Ore didn’t he not get a chance to become greater good again?

If we agree on this, then my questions is whey?

First

We know

Is this the reason whey he chose to walk among mortals?

If yes it seems strange, and I personal think that there were a plan behind his actions.

Second
Myrkul chose his fight with “Mystra” and the adventures in the last module of Times of trouble at the top of Kelbens tower Right?

If yes then he would know that if anything went wrong he still had some divine essence in the crown of horns ore was some of if essence transformed back in the crown at the time of his destruction, I cant remember right now.

But either way I cant see that this wasn’t a part of his plan?

Third
About him planning steeling the tablet of faith

I remembered that I thought that he was the mind behind stealing the tablets, but I will cheek my novels again.

Vic

Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  21:15:35  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I just realized that now there will be three dead Mystras floating on the Astral Plane

Besides, someone in the 'Ask Ed' scroll has brought up another terryfying info about 4E Realms. On page 61 of the scroll someone said that some places like Luskan, Mulhorand and Thay are getting destroyed Come on! That really sucks now! I can live without Luskan, but destroying Thay implies that the Red Wizards of Thay (and the zulkirs of course) will probably get annihilated. And if Mulhorand is destroyed also, the gods from the Mulhorandi pantheon are likely to loose their worshipers. And we all know what this means - more gods dead.

Edited by - Verghityax on 16 Sep 2007 21:30:39
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  22:21:56  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax
Besides, someone in the 'Ask Ed' scroll has brought up another terryfying info about 4E Realms. means - more gods dead.

There is a lot of speculation in this post. Destruction of Thay/Mulhorand is not confirmed.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2007 :  23:23:34  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"And in 1383 a bunch of dwarven deities bite it. Gorm, Heala, Laduguer, and Deep Duerra die in battle with each other. The book says that Hammergrim "disperses" into the Astral."

I wonder if this is the outcome of the Duegar/Gold Dwarf war thats been going on beneath the Lands of Amn/Tethyr

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  00:58:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt/Salvatore is purposefully vague - If all three of those nations got into a war they would all be the worse for wear (specially if its with each other). No one said they would be destroyed, and just the fact that Drizzt mentions them a hundred years hence means they are still around.

Although the "merging of two worlds" sounds cataclysmic, it could just be poetic license and a cleverly masked red herring.

The only things we are truly sure about is that gods are going to die, magic is going to change, the timeline will be moved forward...

and most fans will hate it all.

Several Designers I respect have defended the decision for a 'new' Realms, so I will wait and see, and reserve my final judgment until then.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Sep 2007 00:59:19
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  01:29:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about the Tyr/Helm/Tymora thing before.

Why is Siamorphe so damned important that her leaving the House of the Triad would throw the planes out of whack? And if it did, you'd think that Tymora (or some other god) would voluntarily move to Tyr's place just to set things aright--no silly arranged marriage required.

Or, just kick Siamorphe's pompous @$$ back where it belongs. I can't see Tymora being a prime candidate for an arranged marriage to begin with.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 17 Sep 2007 01:39:31
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  02:01:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks “The Sage” and “Wooly Rupert” fore your wives on this former greater deity.

Uh... Our wives?

quote:

I think I will hit the books and see if I misunderstood something.

This greater deity did not want to be greater good again, he chose to walk among mortals right? Ore didn’t he not get a chance to become greater good again?

He was not given the choice of being restored to godhood. Ao wrote him off for dead, and gave his portfolios over to Cyric. As we saw with Torm, Ao could have restored Myrkul if he wanted to, but he chose not to.

quote:

First

We know

He didn't make that choice. It was the only existence he was left with.

quote:

If yes it seems strange, and I personal think that there were a plan behind his actions.

Second
Myrkul chose his fight with “Mystra” and the adventures in the last module of Times of trouble at the top of Kelbens tower Right?

If yes then he would know that if anything went wrong he still had some divine essence in the crown of horns ore was some of if essence transformed back in the crown at the time of his destruction, I cant remember right now.

He was trying to salvage a bad situation, and to get back in Ao's good graces. It had nothing to do with the proximity of the Crown, which I doubt he even knew about. It was all about trying to get the last Tablet back. He wasn't interested in battling anyone, or going to Blackstaff Tower for any reason -- he just wanted the Tablet back, so he could be the one to hand it over. The tablet was in the hands of Midnight (not Mystra), and the location happened to be Blackstaff Tower.

He was trying to benefit himself, and that was the only plan he had. He hadn't planned on failure; I don't think he even considered the possibility.

quote:

His plan, such as it was, was to not be left in the position he was in. He wasn't thinking any further ahead than that, and certainly not planning anything beyond it.

quote:

Third

I remembered that I thought that he was the mind behind stealing the tablets, but I will cheek my novels again.

Vic

It doesn't matter if he planned stealing the Tablets or not. The point is, the objective was to gain more power for himself -- Ao's reaction, and everything that stemmed from it, was totally unplanned. They thought they were stealing Ao's power -- not that he would blow a gasket and give them all a punishment worse than they could imagine.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  02:28:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To put it simply... Myrkul had very little choice in the matter overall. It was a decision only Ao could make.
quote:

First

We know

Myrkul didn't make that choice. It can be said that Ao made the choice for him, by not bringing him back. So, even at the end, Ao still had power over Myrkul -- a position from which he wanted to escape. Myrkul's new and unexpected existence, has given him the perceived [from his own perspective, at least] possibility of escape. And the true joy of it is... no one [possibly excluding Ao] likely saw it coming. It's provided him with unexpected opportunities that he likely would never had considered -- even if he had entertained the slightest possibility that he could fail and be destroyed.
quote:

Second

I'll agree with Wooly on this.
quote:
We've addressed this already. The quote from Steven's CoS indicates to us, simply, that Myrkul's new existence wasn't planned. And despite his new status... he's actually enjoying himself. That, to me at least, suggests that Myrkul wasn't considering this particular development as part of his overall plan to return the Tablet.
quote:
Third

I've addressed this already. Myrkul's objective was to seize as much greater power from himself [and, possibly, a new position amongst a newly revised pantheon] as he could. Whether the theft of the Tablets was planned or not, is a secondary concern. The heart of the matter was, as they saw it, removing the platform of Ao's divine dominance and obtaining new [and greater] positions and powers for themselves.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2007 :  12:25:24  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if this new 4Ed development will actually be 'backed up' by a novel line, like ToT was.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000