Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Medicine and The Healing Arts
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ClearlyPixelated
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  22:45:22  Show Profile  Visit ClearlyPixelated's Homepage Send ClearlyPixelated a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm fairly new to the Forgotten Realms setting, so my knowledge of the world lacks severely. So in question, I am wondering is there any place that is solely dedicated to the Healing and/or Medicinal Arts? For example, any libraries, monasteries, schools, groups, hospital-like places, etc.
Thank you for any help that can be put forward!

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  00:27:34  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The realms largest Hospital is in Calimport. It is operated by followers of Ilmater. I cannot recall the name, I am away from home and can get it for you in ages hours if no one else does

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

ClearlyPixelated
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  02:15:05  Show Profile  Visit ClearlyPixelated's Homepage Send ClearlyPixelated a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be wonderful! There's no rush on this...it was just an idea for another character (in case my current one gets killed off), but don't let this stop from other replies!

Edited by - ClearlyPixelated on 20 Aug 2008 02:30:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  03:18:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few that immediately come to mind:-

- The House of Healing in Waterdeep.
- The Hospice of Saint Corin in Tethyr.
- St. Carwell's Hospice, in St. Carwell's Vale, Amn.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ClearlyPixelated
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  04:07:30  Show Profile  Visit ClearlyPixelated's Homepage Send ClearlyPixelated a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to you, Sage! Are there any reference books that will give me a closer look at these places?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  06:45:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes -- 2e's City of Splendors for the first site. And Lands of Intrigue [which is available as a free PDF download at WotC] for the remaining locations.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  15:12:52  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While detailing hospitals, let's not forget Mystra's Arms in Waterdeep, which is the asylum for those addled by The Art. (Wasn't that also the hospital featured in that Ravenloft-Realms cross-over novel?)

Waterdeep also has a Guild of Apothecaries and Physicians. Perhaps The Sage can tell us, however, whether or not surgeons belong to that or to the Butcher's Guild. I had thought there was a Barber's Guild to which they might belong, but I didn't see one listed in City of Splendors (Eric L. Boyd's book).

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  16:04:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

(Wasn't that also the hospital featured in that Ravenloft-Realms cross-over novel?)

You might be thinking of Jander Sunstar's line of novels/short stories. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2008 :  16:25:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's probably thinking of Vampires of the Mists by Christie Golden.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  00:23:15  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes and yes. I can't find my copy for some reason and wasn't sure of the spelling of Jander's name or the exact title. Anyway, the point is that he spends much of his time in Waterdeep visiting an asylum which I don't think is Mystra's Arms, which if I have recalled correctly, says something about Waterdeep, in that it has two insane asylums.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2008 :  01:25:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Yes and yes. I can't find my copy for some reason and wasn't sure of the spelling of Jander's name or the exact title. Anyway, the point is that he spends much of his time in Waterdeep visiting an asylum which I don't think is Mystra's Arms, which if I have recalled correctly, says something about Waterdeep, in that it has two insane asylums.

Not necessarily. As I recall, when Ana died, Jander killed everyone in the asylum and then torched it. Mystra's Arms is likely either a rebuilt version of the placed Jander visited, or it's a new place altogether, perhaps built many years later.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000