Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Looking for an alternative to the Realms, BUT
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  16:25:40  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Delete Topic
but I can't find anything that interests me as much as pre-4E FR. Thanks a lot, Wotzy.

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  16:27:30  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message
Mystara.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  16:29:29  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
What's wrong with just keeping your game in the Realms, ignoring all 4e nonsense that comes along?

There's enough lore available for 1e, 2e and 3.Xe to last almost a lifetime of gaming and if the resources of Candlekeep.com are counted with it, you can surely add a few more years of gaming to that.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  16:37:53  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
I'm more of a novel reader than gamer.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  16:59:28  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Then by all means, don't read novels set in game settings!

I read those, but only for gaming value. As art, eh... they leave a lot to be desired.

Read good books and may game fiction lines be damned.

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Shottglazz
Acolyte

Canada
49 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  17:03:02  Show Profile Send Shottglazz a Private Message
For good fantasy-related novels, I'd highly recommend the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin:

A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance of Dragons (to be released Sept 08)

Shottglazz

"Take my love, Take my land, Take me where I cannot stand;
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  17:38:33  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Varl

Mystara.

Funny, I was just mentioning Mystara while at GenCon. Not too many people actively talk about that setting.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  18:01:40  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message
I would suggest Terry Goodkind (Sword of Truth), Terry Brooks (Shannara), David Eddings (Belgariad) or RAS's other works.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  19:17:02  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
If you can find them, Kristen Britian's Green Rider series is pretty good.

Espeically the part in the second book where the main char goes horse back riding in nothing but her skin...........

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  20:45:23  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message
Just stay with pre-4E FR if that is what interests you.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  21:00:37  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Shottglazz

For good fantasy-related novels, I'd highly recommend the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin:

A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
A Dance of Dragons (to be released Sept 08)

Second that recommendation, heartily!!

But be prepared.....the good guys don't always win.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  21:23:29  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Do like I do: use Pathfinder adventure/products in pre-Spellplague Realms. That way, you vote with your wallet, but also get something good in return...
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2008 :  23:18:40  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message
Try Robert Howard and Conan series ...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  04:42:48  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message
quote:

I'm sorry but what does 4E have to do with the novels beyond the fact that the background setting is changed. It's still the same writers and I for one think that there are some great writers in the bunch. I agree that 4E has a lot to be desired as a game system and I don't like the direction that they took the setting. But I am a novel reader as well and I honestly am not concerned with the changes setting affecting the novels that much.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  05:28:15  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:

I'm sorry but what does 4E have to do with the novels beyond the fact that the background setting is chang

LOL. Everything, my friend. Everything.

Edited by - RodOdom on 20 Aug 2008 05:29:30
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  05:31:30  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:

I read those, but only for gaming value. As art, eh... they leave a lot to be desired.

That's same way I feel about 4EFR right now.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  06:03:48  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Question about Pathfinder : is there a source book out for the setting yet? I can't seem to find one on their website.
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  06:25:50  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message
Yes, it is. Look here.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  10:26:09  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Thanks !
Go to Top of Page

Baldwin Stonewood
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  22:56:24  Show Profile  Visit Baldwin Stonewood's Homepage Send Baldwin Stonewood a Private Message
Personally all of my new material purchased is through Paizo and their Pathfinder series. Although, I have enough FR material to last me many many years.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2008 :  23:11:18  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
And the Pathfinder ruleset works very well in FR.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  11:00:15  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message
quote:

but I can't find anything that interests me as much as pre-4E FR. Thanks a lot, Wotzy.

Have you read the Trudi Cannavan novels? I enjoyed both her Black Magician books and the Voice of the Gods books.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  13:59:26  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
I'll look out for those books. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  14:04:33  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message
quote:

I'll look out for those books. Thanks.

You're welcome.

I enjoyed the Age of the Five trilogy and I was introduced to her work by The Black Magician series, which is excellent.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  14:42:38  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Well, I started my Night Below campaign some month back in the 1200 D.R. Realms. No Spellplague, no Times of Troubles and lots of filled as well as empty spaces about.

You see, it is a bit like reading historic novels about ... say the Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Native Americans or the Irish. You can enjoy them a lot despite knowing that each and every figure in there would be long gone by now, their world changed forever and all that. Once you come to the conclusion that you do not need to play in the Realms of "today and right now", you get over it. The best thing I can imagine to help you is to dig up a few of the good old ones, like the Cyclopedia of the Realms (Old Grey Box), The Bloodstone Lands, Menzoberranzan box or the like and read the plots and rumours section. Rest assured, in no-time two dozen great ideas will spring to mind and you hand will etch ever closer to pen and dice.

As for the new Realms ... no rules set has prevented me from using a setting or ideas I like.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 22 Aug 2008 14:44:32
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  15:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:

That's sweet, my friend, but it just means you aren't looking hard enough! There are some really, really excellent writers out there.

I second/third/fourth(!) the Martin recommendations.

I will add that the recently-passed David Gemmell is an excellent source of some harrowing fantasy. Of all the fantasy writers out there, I feel that his work reminds me the most of the Realms--the good aspects, not the bad.

I would also gladly throw in names like Dave Duncan, Scott Lynch (a relative newcomer and an excellent writer), and Neil Gaiman (who's just a classic).

quote:

Well, we can agree to disagree on this stereotype. I won't otherwise address it, as that would lead us farther afield.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  20:17:39  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Varl

Mystara.

decent choice. The old Gazateers were great but now quite hard to find.

Golarion is decent

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  20:22:44  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Mystara/Known World is great. The products might be harder to find now, but one can always buy pdf's of the Gazetteers if needed. I know, its not the same thing, but printed and bound in some form they at least become readable.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  17:58:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

What's wrong with just keeping your game in the Realms...?

That's pretty much my opinion on the matter.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  17:59:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

Well, many FR novels have given me some fun times and good memories.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  23:46:19  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Well, many FR novels have given me some fun times and good memories.

Oh, sure, and it's entirely possible to enjoy things even though they may not have any artistic merit.

For example, I'm entirely aware that my campaign is probably all kinds of wrong in a literary sense, but that doesn't mean that I don't like it. I just accept it for what it is, i.e. friendly entertainment and not art.

But I can't compare The Rage, The Rite or The Ruin (to name a recent RSE novel trilogy) with War and Peace, A Farewell to Arms or even classic science-fiction like A Mote in God's Eye. Nor can one compare it with Tolkien, with C.S. Lewis, with Bulkakov, Kafka or even modern writers like Terry Pratchett, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Murakami or Neil Gaiman. Even comparisons with an overrated author like Paulo Coelho are unfair.

In the absence of gaming utility for the books, there are much better novels available even for casual reading. Historical novelists like Colleen McCullough, C. S. Forester, Bernard Cornwell, Ellis Peters and Robert Graves stand far above the writers working in the Realms in quality. So do popular fantasy/horror writers like Dean Koontz and Stephen King. Even questionable quality thriller writers in the class of Tom Clancy, Grisham or Crichton are arguably superior.

Even when it comes to pulp entertainment, the real pulp writers have already done it and better. Everyone from Lovecraft, Leiber, Heinlein to Robert E. Howard, H. Rider Haggard and Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote for the pulps; with poets and novelists such as Kipling, Mark Twain and Upton Sinclair competing with yarnspinners like Conan Doyle, Jack Vance, Jack London, Joseph Conrad, Phillip K. Dick, Zane Gray, Dashiell Hammet and Raymond Chandler.

There are dozens I'm forgetting, but I think you get the picture. That's not saying that Realms-fiction is bad. Just that the world is so full of great fiction that if it wasn't for the gaming value of game world novels, I'd never have any time or inclination to read it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000