Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What edition do you play?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  19:15:19  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just wondering, what edition of (A)D&D are you Realms played in? We play (I am the DM) in the first edition Realms (Grey Box and first 10 or so supplements), but with the second edition rules. I was wondering what ruleset/realms set everyone here uses. Please do not turn this into an argument about editions of (A)D&D.

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  19:25:57  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I run 3.0, with huge additions from AD&D. I never ran (and my players never played) most of the 2nd edition material, so I think it would have been negligent and foolish of me to leap into 1374 DR without giving my players a chance to experience the ToT, the Horde Campaign, etc.

As for 3.$ ... please!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  19:30:44  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently playing in a 3.5 group.

Before 3.5, we never really subscribed to a game system as it is presented. Before 3.5, we played 1st/2nd/heavy house rules

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  19:41:27  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

3.x burnout. I'm waiting for 4E.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  20:56:50  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Played (DMed) 2nd edition from its release in 89 til 2006, basically, but I have some experience playing OD&D even before that, and even some 1st edition experiences, mainly one-shots, my most memorable one being Ernie Gygax's AD&D (1st) dungeon game in Lake Geneva back in 2000. Since 2006 I'm DMing (what I wouldn't give to be a player more often!!!) 3.5, I never got around playing 3rd edition because back then I couldn't really wrap my head around it...funnily enough, it too the Temple of Elemental CRPG to help me understand 3.x

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  21:10:38  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have moved to 3.5 fully, after playing a reasonably modified 3E for a while. We moved from 2E when 3E first came out. As for 4E, that remains to be seen.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  22:26:47  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My group plays 3.5, our current consensus is that we will stick with 3E rather than going into 4E, but of course that may cange.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2007 :  02:01:49  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2E for the entire time period that it was around, now 3.5E. Reluctantly, I will switch to 4E
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2007 :  03:44:09  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1e/2e hybrid since day 1.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2007 :  07:10:08  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did the 1e and 2e thing for a while, tried 3eek and 3.5 because 3.5 was free through the SRD... and now I'm back to 2nd ed. I'm running my PBeM 2nd Ed (or will be when it starts very shortly) and I'm playing in a few 2e games. 3e's solid but I still love THAC0.

:D
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2007 :  09:02:05  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started with AD&D in 1996. Now I only play 3.0 in combination with 3.5. characters are made in 3.0 version.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2007 :  09:52:47  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We play with the 3.5 system, but we have some home made rules of our own.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2007 :  10:41:09  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Realms are mostly those of the Gray box with what I find interesting from later products and what I have put into it myself. As for edition when using the Realms, it is 2ed. or another system entirely.
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2007 :  16:11:02  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started with OD&D back in 1976. Switched to 1E, 2E and 3.0 as they came out. My long-term gaming group were playtesters for WotC for the FRCS and at least one of the original series of 3.0 modules. We broke up just before 3.5 came out, although I' ve judged 3.5 games for conventiuons and one-shots that I've done over the lst few years. I'm also currently getting ready to do some 3.5 intro games for a local game store.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2007 :  16:52:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played in every edition... and tried just about every other system out there (I really liked Runequest and Rolemaster).

I moved forward and I don't look back, except for maybe nostalgic reasons. The game has gotten better and less unwieldy with each edition, and that is why I have high hopes for 4e.

So to answer the question, it's 3.5 for me... for now.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Pharaun Mizzrym
Acolyte

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2007 :  22:35:40  Show Profile  Visit Pharaun Mizzrym's Homepage Send Pharaun Mizzrym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Version 2 because its my brothers old guides from way back when
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2007 :  23:21:44  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play in a 3.0 campaign and I'm running a 3.5 campaign. (3.0 uses 3.5 material when it has to.)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Vitellia
Acolyte

Germany
12 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  12:51:14  Show Profile  Visit Vitellia's Homepage Send Vitellia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently 2.0 in an forum play - had a look at 3.0 which was okay, but as rules are not as important to me as roleplaying, I'm afraid, I'm not really up to date ;) Wouldn't mind trying out 3.5 or even 4.0 (or any other system *g*) as long as I find a group which suits my needs

Vitellia
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  13:48:44  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regular Campaign (that has been going for 6 years now) has been 3.0 updated to 3.5 when it came out. Was much easier to get new players without having to explain THAC0 :) We will probably finish this one with 3.5 (will probably take a couple more years at least with what the plot is), but we'll probably start a 4E one when it comes out to play the odd time till the mian campaign is done.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  21:50:08  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, the adventures of the grey box with the 1st, then 2nd 'til 2002 and currently the 3.5 with a lot of houserules; some of them reflecting 2nd spells and item creation.
At the moment i am realy sceptical about the 4.0 edition. To be honest we are quite comfortable with the actual version and maybe feeling to old for another change of the ruleset. Furthermore i have accumulated enough material for many years to come.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  02:35:21  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3.5.... thousands of dollars' worth of 3.5 actually... name a sourcebook/accessory/supplement by WotC since 2003... I have it.
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  17:33:07  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
we(xysma and i) started back hardcore just as 3e came out. drgn issue 289 or so. from what we hear we'll probably just supplement the 4e lore into our 3.5 realms. it's my belief that anyone serious about this game and still plays 2nd ed., simply hasn't taken the time to understand 3e. the rules are well streamlined, especially the 3.5 errata, and combat seems much smoother than with earlier ed.'s. skills are much better and allow quickly referenced dc's.

we all love our realms. as long as you get to the table, it's not terribly important what ed. you prefer.

...'till the blood on your sword is the blood of a king. - Manowar

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  17:40:45  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirreus

we(xysma and i) started back hardcore just as 3e came out. drgn issue 289 or so. from what we hear we'll probably just supplement the 4e lore into our 3.5 realms. it's my belief that anyone serious about this game and still plays 2nd ed., simply hasn't taken the time to understand 3e. the rules are well streamlined, especially the 3.5 errata, and combat seems much smoother than with earlier ed.'s. skills are much better and allow quickly referenced dc's.

we all love our realms. as long as you get to the table, it's not terribly important what ed. you prefer.

...'till the blood on your sword is the blood of a king. - Manowar

Well I am serious enough about both the game and the Realms and I still prefer 2ed. It is mostly a matter of taste and preference.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  00:47:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Well I am serious enough about both the game and the Realms and I still prefer 2ed. It is mostly a matter of taste and preference.

Indeed--and if you're really used to one system, it might be more difficult to change over to a newer (much different) one.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  01:10:17  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Waterdeep campaign start in AD&D, made the transition to D&D 3.0, it's now in 3.5, and we thin in migrate to the 4th edition. In timeline, this campaign is now in the summer of 1370 DR.

My Unapprocheable East start and continue in the 3.5 rules. It's in Tarsakh of 1372.

My Vilhon Reach campaign by forum (that started today) is in the 3.5D&D. It's in Eleasias /1372

And my family will start another campaign, and I pretend to set that in the dales (with a focus in daggerdale). It will be in the 1367, I think.

Well, that's it. DMing 4 Realms campaigns, all in 3.5! But I really want to play a little, only to a change of state.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  01:24:33  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
one 3.5 campaign in Erlkazar in 1358 and one 3.5 campaign in the Silver Marches in 1374.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  03:12:24  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

3.5.... thousands of dollars' worth of 3.5 actually... name a sourcebook/accessory/supplement by WotC since 2003... I have it.

I am with you my friend. I have most as well.
Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  19:45:03  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently 3.5

I'm twisting and turning the rules in order to make a diceless version of the D20 system, but it's pretty darn difficult without upsetting various in-game balances that are solved by chance.
Go to Top of Page

realcrowjoe
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  01:17:37  Show Profile  Visit realcrowjoe's Homepage Send realcrowjoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I DM which is most of the time it is 2nd. When our other DM runs it it is 3.5.
Me I like Elminster sitting in Mr Greenwood's house telling him secrets and eating his ice cream.
Go to Top of Page

Ugly is the new black
Seeker

Australia
81 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  05:24:42  Show Profile  Visit Ugly is the new black's Homepage Send Ugly is the new black a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My friends and I began playing D&D toward the very end of 2nd edition. We liked it a lot, but we were young, and a lot of the rules confused us. Wizards got ahold of D&D around that time and released 3rd edition, and we've been playing that ever since. Honestly though, I'd like to go back to 2E sometime. A lot of what didn't make sense then would be easy now that we're all fairly experienced, and besides, we've looked into playing Alternity a few times, and from what I can tell, it's similiar to 2E (minus THAC0 and whatnot).

So yeah, 3E/3.5E.

love,
nathan.

As he knelt on the ground with his brothers around and the taste of his blood on his tongue,
His brothers knelt by him and prayed him a prayer, and he smiled and he laughed and he sung,
"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman's taken my life,
But what does it matter? For all men must die, and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!"
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Wilson
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  09:07:46  Show Profile  Visit Mr. Wilson's Homepage Send Mr. Wilson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3.5 and probably will convert to 4.0 mechanics. Still on the fence about the setting itself as presented by the designers.

"I've got a plan..."- Dan
"Nothing good has ever come after those four words." - Jesse
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000