Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 The New FRCS
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  02:22:23  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
They skipped right over 10 interesting years! Who's idea was this? I guess I won't be buying this product.

I'm not sure it's so bad, it's not like if years is something we can run out.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  02:28:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

I'm not sure it's so bad, it's not like if years is something we can run out.

I guess I can't be so sure it's bad until I actually get more information and see the product for myself. But my initial reaction is not exactly a happy one. The FR designers have, again and again, been disappointing me lately.

And I agree with what Faraer said.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  02:30:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, if it had been two years, or perhaps even five, maybe it wouldn't be so bad . . . we'll miss years of intrigue as Azoun V grows up . . . likely miss a bunch of characters retiring and perhaps disappearing from Realmslore for the foreseeable future.

Not to mention, this might come out in time to spoil the Twilight War books, and will come out before the end of the Haunted Lands Trilogy . . .
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  02:35:20  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

You know, if it had been two years, or perhaps even five, maybe it wouldn't be so bad . . . we'll miss years of intrigue as Azoun V grows up . . . likely miss a bunch of characters retiring and perhaps disappearing from Realmslore for the foreseeable future.

But we will get the first problems met by the young king, we will meet new interesting NPCs that took the place of the retired ones, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  02:36:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer to watch the course of Faerunian history (what little we see of it) unfold slowly, at a year by year pace.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  02:40:03  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I prefer to watch the course of Faerunian history (what little we see of it) unfold slowly, at a year by year pace.

In fact I would probably like it better that way too. I hope that they will say us why they have done it. IMHO, it's because they wanted a reasonable timeframe to set up some important changes...

Edited by - Skeptic on 19 Aug 2007 02:40:31
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  02:46:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In fact I would probably like it better that way too. I hope that they will say us why they have done it. IMHO, it's because they wanted a reasonable timeframe to set up some important changes...

Sadly, if that's the case, it's all the more reason for me to ignore this product.:-/

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 19 Aug 2007 02:46:31
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  02:46:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It just feels like too many loose ends are going to get hand waved, again, as they were before. We have so many I can't even remember them all (but I'll try), and I'm afraid that not only will they get resolved "off screen," but that too many of them will be forgotten.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  03:01:36  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It makes you wonder how many of the realms NPCs are going to be "retired" especially the less long lived ones

Also I wonder what the novel schedueles like and who will write the first novel in the 4th edition start date

Looks like theres a new class in 4ed called "Warlord"

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 19 Aug 2007 03:07:37
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  03:03:09  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sadly, if that's the case, it's all the more reason for me to ignore this product.:-/

Hmm.. I don't think many RSE will happen during those 10 years, what I mean is that 10 years later we can see the effects of all the RSE that happened rencently and having some more "stable" realms (including an orcish one ).

But that's only speculation...

Edited by - Skeptic on 19 Aug 2007 03:03:51
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  04:42:19  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oye.. 10 years.. I can see the Zhents and Shade expanding their territories.. poor dalelands. :(

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  04:44:38  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

It makes you wonder how many of the realms NPCs are going to be "retired" especially the less long lived ones

Also I wonder what the novel schedueles like and who will write the first novel in the 4th edition start date

Looks like theres a new class in 4ed called "Warlord"

Considering the 1385-based FRCS will come out before the end of some current trilogies (the Thay one springs to mind), how will they not spoil that?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  04:50:09  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there will just be a page or 10 that are written in invisable ink until novels are sold. *shrugs*

I do not know what lore will be in the book, Ed might not be sure yet what makes the cut. Thay, Shade, The Tree of Life, the Drow deity game are all uncertain now. That likely would have settled somewhat in 10 years.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Lord Nemes
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  05:45:45  Show Profile  Visit Lord Nemes's Homepage Send Lord Nemes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or maybe those trilogies will catch 1385 by their ends? Some plots or wars may take years...

Just a thought...
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  05:49:44  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

Considering the 1385-based FRCS will come out before the end of some current trilogies (the Thay one springs to mind), how will they not spoil that?

Who says they have to be spoiled? 3E supplement cames out completely ignoring what was going on in the novels. :P

4E Realms might also be getting a new logo, if so, then probably like 3E, we won't see the novels using the logo until their set in the 4E timeline.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  06:56:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jumping 10 years is going to have an interesting effect on novels... After all, some of the current major characters won't be nearly as spry in 10 years, and will thus be less suitable for adventuring. I'm wondering if this means we'll never see Erevis Cale, for example, in another starring role, or what's going to happen with Drizzt's companions...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  07:25:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Jumping 10 years is going to have an interesting effect on novels... After all, some of the current major characters won't be nearly as spry in 10 years, and will thus be less suitable for adventuring. I'm wondering if this means we'll never see Erevis Cale, for example, in another starring role, or what's going to happen with Drizzt's companions...

Out of the NPCs you mention only Wulfgar and Catti Brie are likely to be affected by adding 10 years to thier age

Drizzt is 60 something drow (a race that often lives into the 700s)

Bruenors and Regis are both members of long lived races

and Erevis Cale is practically immortal at least according to Shadowbred

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  07:48:32  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget that Artemis is no longer a simple human too.

My greatest question is.. is El going to make the cut...

Edited by - Skeptic on 19 Aug 2007 08:37:32
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  08:23:59  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mirt and Piergerion can't last that much longer. On the plus side, we might have Laeral back.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  09:39:59  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Mirt has (if I remember) had a tendency to use potions of longevity, so he might have some years left. Piergerion and several other rulers might be another case.

As for advancing the timeline ten years. If they are going to keep on introducing large plots and major happenings a speeding up of the timeline is needed to keep it from getting ridiculous. How many large scale changes has been done in the last three or four years of Realms history? I would prefer that they kept the evolvement slow and the plots small, but, as with Dragonlance, large scale conflicts will seem like Ragnarok if they bunch them together as they do at the moment.

Then again, I usually play in the 40's and 50's, so I am the wrong person to comment on this.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  10:15:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Ed and THO have confirmed that both Mirt and Durnan have used longevity potions. As has Filfaeril, and dozens more NPCs in the Realms.

From March '04 --

"Wooly Rupert, I think Mirt and Durnan are both a trifle OLDER than 120. Still unpublished is the “essential Realmslore” short story in which they acquired as treasure certain drinkables that might be expressed in AD&D terms (the D&D game came along after I wrote the story) as slightly-variant Potions of Longevity. So, yes, they appear to be rather leathery/fat/worn-but-vigorous 50-ish males. The way the published Realms has turned out, the careers of Mirt and Durnan have been sadly neglected, but you will see their present-day selves adventuring together in my tale in the forthcoming Realms of Dragons anthology (end of 2004, I believe)."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ulicus
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  16:03:26  Show Profile  Visit Ulicus's Homepage Send Ulicus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not too fussed if they jump ahead several years with the new FRCS. In fact, I'm quite keen on the idea, despite the perfectly valid points raised in opposition to it.

Then again, I would have liked them to have leapt forward a century after the ToT - so perhaps I'm not the best person to offer an opinion on the matter

"Bane" = "Xvim" = Cyric, Prince of Lies
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  16:05:05  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Piergerion is also mentioned in the City of Splendors novel has having been given longevity by magic that also makes him less able to be healed, so its not inconceivable that he would still be around in ten years either.

Both of our "boy kings," in Impiltur and Cormyr, will be a bit more in charge of things. (I know, Impiltur has a head start)

I would like some setting specific information on longevity magic though since its a long running thread in the setting, or at least something mentioning what humans have and haven't been affected, not so much for those of us that have picked it up over the years, but for those newer Realms fans that might read an old reference down the line and say "hey, this doesn't make sense, X is 150 years old!"
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  18:16:48  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From WoTC GenCon pages : Spellplague is a part of the 3E->4E "ToT", i.e. in-game explanation of edition change, it seems we can expect less retcon this time.

More details on http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=welcome/conventions/gencon07

Edited by - Skeptic on 19 Aug 2007 18:19:26
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  19:15:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spellplague , not much more there except
quote:
There will be a big event in the Realms soon, called the Spellplague. Rich says it won't leave a corner of the Realms untouched.

Another RSE that might even shake the entire Realms.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  19:19:34  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thrilled to have 10 years to work with for my current FR campaign without worrying about advancing the timeline too fast. Paired with the Grand History I should be able to use the FR timeline more efficiently when creating stories for my game.

I don't worry about novel characters dying either. "Small stories" should fit nicely into the 10 year laps without creating too much complication, and as much as I like RSE, I think I've had my fill for a while, so I'm happy to see the next one 10 years into the future.

Unless the Spellplague is a 10 year RSE
In that case I'm out of here.

Edit: Post #400! Woohooo!

Edited by - Snotlord on 19 Aug 2007 19:20:21
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  19:45:06  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm back from Gen Con and boy am I tired! Before I take a well deserved nap, I'll add the following about the forthcoming FRCS:

The regional feat concept is being dropped. The new trend for 4E and by extension the 4E FRCS, is to downplay statistical modifiers and rules to describe a characters cultural background or even subrace. Yes, that means gold dwarves and shield dwarves will have the same racial mods, just as all humans are the same regardless of region.

Since the follow up product to the FRCS is a player's guide of sorts, I suspect the FRCS will have little or no prestige class (which remain in 4E btw). Feats, Traits, Prestige Classes, Spells and the like will most likely be in the Player's Guide, thus leaving more page count for geography and Realmslore in the FRCS.

It was felt that the transition from 2E to 3E Realms was handled poorly, in that no in world explanation was given to justify the changes to the setting. The Retcon (retroactive continuity) philosophy of 3E "These changes have always been that way" is going away for 4E. A in-game explanation, ala the Time of Troubles is going to be introduced and it will be known as the Spellplague. Halaster's death in the recent Undermountain product lays the groundwork for this future calamity. There will not be a novel series to explain the Spellplague.

While the new FRCS will remain focused on Faerūn proper (sorry Beyond Faerūn fans), it was mentioned that areas that have previously received little coverage will be expanded upon. Of course we'll get a shiny new poster map as well.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. I'm off to sleep...

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Mane
Acolyte

Finland
1 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  19:48:21  Show Profile  Visit Mane's Homepage Send Mane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

From WoTC GenCon pages : Spellplague is a part of the 3E->4E "ToT", i.e. in-game explanation of edition change, it seems we can expect less retcon this time.

More details on http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=welcome/conventions/gencon07

Hello all!
I have been lurking for a few years, but this is my first post.

What I am worried about is the change of magic system in 4th edition and what it will do to realms (and more specifically mystra).

I mean, if every magic user has some kind of "blast" they can use without any limits, how is it going to be explained in realms?

Spellplague == lots of magic/spells???

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2007 :  19:53:23  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

The regional feat concept is being dropped. The new trend for 4E and by extension the 4E FRCS, is to downplay statistical modifiers and rules to describe a characters cultural background or even subrace. Yes, that means gold dwarves and shield dwarves will have the same racial mods, just as all humans are the same regardless of region.

Since the follow up product to the FRCS is a player's guide of sorts, I suspect the FRCS will have little or no prestige class (which remain in 4E btw). Feats, Traits, Prestige Classes, Spells and the like will most likely be in the Player's Guide, thus leaving more page count for geography and Realmslore in the FRCS.

It was felt that the transition from 2E to 3E Realms was handled poorly, in that no in world explanation was given to justify the changes to the setting. The Retcon (retroactive continuity) philosophy of 3E "These changes have always been that way" is going away for 4E. A in-game explanation, ala the Time of Troubles is going to be introduced and it will be known as the Spellplague. Halaster's death in the recent Undermountain product lays the groundwork for this future calamity. There will not be a novel series to explain the Spellplague.

While the new FRCS will remain focused on Faerūn proper (sorry Beyond Faerūn fans), it was mentioned that areas that have previously received little coverage will be expanded upon. Of course we'll get a shiny new poster map as well.

Overall I like it ! Thanks Brian !

Edited by - Skeptic on 19 Aug 2007 20:08:07
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2007 :  00:50:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

But Wooly, Erevis Cale is no longer human. ;) He claims in the books that he might well live for thousands of years.

Still, your main point is on target.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000