Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Buying internationally on eBay?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fingal
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2009 :  22:33:32  Show Profile Send Fingal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I tend to get most of my older edition stuff from the eBay here in Britain as it tends to be a lot cheaper than paying through the nose from the local gaming store's second hand section. There are, however, a lot of titles that are simply never - or very, very rarely - available. Looking at the US sellers though: Whoa - the land of plenty!

I'm just a bit uncertain about buying internationally. Does anyone here have experience about buying from US sellers for shipment to Europe? Obviously shipment charges will be higher but what about customs and duty? Does it tend to be prohibitive in terms of cost? I'm not keen on spending a small fortune on importing second hand gaming goods if the Government is going to make me pay the same again, for example, and would rather bide my time if its going to be too pricey. What about delivery times? I see most of the US sellers send it by USPS Priority mail. Are we likely to be talking a couple of weeks or longer?

I've got my eye on a couple of things but i'm just being a bit cautious of it all. Having said that, if anyone here can hook me up with a copy of the 'Empires of the Shining Sea' boxset at a decent cost, please PM me. I was three seconds away from winning a factory sealed set last week before someone else proved they were even more cavalier with their cash than I am with mine.. .

Many thanks, dear scribes, many thanks!

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  00:48:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since we don't have Amazon here in Australia, I'm forced to purchase my stuff from the US. And in times past when I've ordered from US Amazon, my packages will usually take from 10 days to a fortnight to arrive on standard shipping charges. That's for DVD's, books, or whatever.

As for decently priced copies of the EotSS boxed set, I'd suggest you look over on nobleknight.com [which is also US-based and has reasonable shipping rates for international destinations]. I've found two copies:- here for $12.60US [though it doesn't come with the actual box], and here for $18.00US, which includes everything.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 May 2009 00:50:55
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  01:00:55  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've bought books, boxed sets, DVDs, clothes and other stuff from the States via eBay to the UK many times, though much less right now with the shift in the exchange rate.

I suggest you look up United States Postal Service costs online to get an idea of what you ought to be paying for postage. Global Priority mail (envelope or box) generally takes a week or less, standard airmail up to two.

Books aren't subject to VAT, so they aren't stopped by customs, but make sure the seller writes 'books' on the package. Most other things are liable to be impounded for VAT plus a fee for collecting it from you if they're £18 or higher in declared value.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  01:42:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, I had an extra factory-sealed set of Empires of the Shining Sea... But I wound up with two copies, so one wound up on eBay.

I've never been to the UK... I was close, though: the wife and I hit Ireland for our honeymoon.

That said, I have, more than once, purchased eBay items from UK sellers. I don't do it often, but I have done it. I don't recall it taking all that long, and while the shipping was higher than it would have been with shipments originating here in the US, it still wasn't outrageous.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  04:54:43  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the matter, seen from France...
Before my course, I sold and bought everyday with Ebay.fr. When my course will be out, next week, I will do again. I buy sometimes with foreign Ebay websites. My feedback is around 500 and I have to say that I've had less than 5 disputes within 6 years with Ebay.
I really believe you can trust this system to get your FR products.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Fingal
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  10:43:54  Show Profile Send Fingal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thankyou for your replies, scribes. And thankyou in particular, Sage. I had not been aware that Nobleknight shipped internationally. That looks like the best option.

Once again, my thanks!
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  11:10:11  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got some Mongoose 3e stuff from NobleKnight Games last week. There were no problems with customs or VAT.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  16:19:41  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought a hell of a lot of stuff internationally, ebay or nobleknight and of course Paizo. The s&h was ok, and customs etc didn't pose any problem most of the times. Books prices have to be higher than 70€ or so before customs kicks in, you'd have to check with the UK customs office. Toys or whatnot can be as high as 24€ or something like that.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Fingal
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  18:17:47  Show Profile Send Fingal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went for the mint 'Empires..' box set from Nobleknight. Should be here in a week or two. Works out slightly cheaper than buying it out of the local gaming shop with the added bonus of not having to wait for a couple of centuries for one to become available. I'm working out a campaign set around south-eastern Tethyr, the coast of Calimsham and the Lake of Steam so this should be invaluable. Also good to know that International eBay deals are not as scary as I imagined.

Thank ye all from a grateful - and likely now to be far poorer.. :) - soul.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  19:54:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fingal

Also good to know that International eBay deals are not as scary as I imagined.

From here in the US, I've gotten eBay stuff from Canada, South America, England, Italy, Australia, Japan, and Malaysia. The odd thing is that shipping from Canada seems to be the slowest!

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2009 :  22:03:41  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Fingal

Also good to know that International eBay deals are not as scary as I imagined.

From here in the US, I've gotten eBay stuff from Canada, South America, England, Italy, Australia, Japan, and Malaysia. The odd thing is that shipping from Canada seems to be the slowest!

The two lost shipments from the UK aside, I have to agree with that one, Canada seems bloody slow

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  07:56:59  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have ordered things from both Amazon (US and UK) and Ebay and had them shipped to Hong Kong before. Amazon has been pretty reliable. Ebay has been hit or miss. But as others mentioned above, the absolute best and fastest international service I have had has been with Nobleknight.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Fingal
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  21:03:01  Show Profile Send Fingal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, 'Empires of the Shining Sea' arrived from Nobleknight this morning,just under a week since I ordered it. I've got a couple things I ordered from eBay sellers in Britain before I bought this that still haven't arrived. It was very well packed and in fantastic condition - I'll definately be using then again. I'm very impressed by the service.

Cheers for everyones help.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  00:38:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, yes... Aaron and the shipping folks at nobleknight.com are an amazing bunch. They package and ship better than some major international postal services.

And you're welcome. I'm always happy when I help scribes to find lost Realmslore.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  14:50:34  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just buying from Amazon! Normally, there isn't many sellers to Brazil on eBay, and this is the first time that i heard of NobleKnight.com, I'm checking it now. Thanks for the hint!

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  15:10:02  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading KnightNoble.com, I'll never buy from Amazon anymore.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  18:38:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grin, I really wish at times that I've contacted Aaron and showed him how many people I've sent to his site over the least ten years. :) I should get a discount. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Fingal
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  18:54:51  Show Profile Send Fingal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

I was just buying from Amazon! Normally, there isn't many sellers to Brazil on eBay, and this is the first time that i heard of NobleKnight.com, I'm checking it now. Thanks for the hint!

I've bought a few things from Amazon marketplace in the past but I find it can be harder to judge the condition of an item or whether there are maps missing etc. It can also be quite pricey doing it that way.
Go to Top of Page

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2009 :  04:14:39  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
international shipping went up reciently in the US. In the last year, which has made it harder to ship books off. I'm a big seller on the net. I do a lot of things but d&d books are a small part of what I sell online and I've shipped all over the world, every state in the US and at least 50 different countries. I wouldn't recommend buying large lots of books for international shipping, you just get killed on the shipping. For some reason Spain and Italy have terribly high rates of having packages stolen, so be careful shipping there.

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum
Go to Top of Page

prespos
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2010 :  01:53:14  Show Profile  Visit prespos's Homepage Send prespos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Fingal,

good look on your FR search.

here's a few pointers:

* Yes, Priority is very common, but, if you can, see if you can get FCI (First Class International), if you don't mind an extra wait. (By Mystra, you'll probably have to Spell it out, instead of using the acronym). However, FCI won't always be an option, though it can be worth asking for, sometimes.

* Always pre-check with the seller if the item is complete.
Here's your source:
http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/
(Makes a pretty good checklist, too!)

* All things considered, it's often worth paying a couple of bucks more to deal with an established RPG seller, instead of someone who is selling 'as is', unearthed out of a basement (the latter situation can be a nightmare, in terms of condition & completeness).

* Be clear on the final price (around so-and-so ship in $ isn't good enough: really, I've seen around so-and-so jump in ship to really high prices, with some sellers).

* With customs, there seems to be a 2 kg 'threshold' that I've noticed, for customs problems, between US and Canada. (I don't know the details for other countries, but I guess it's similar).
So, if your weight goes above 2 kg, watch out. I've never had problems with envelopes, or light FCI packages.

For the next month, I'm doing an FR sale (see the (B) section in that other thread that I've started). That's an out of eBay, thing, done by US cover for each item, with ship included (ie. US cover, free ship, anywhere on the planet). However, that one's only open to those who have 100+ posts.

The FR items are actually out of my area as a seller (usually only a few titles) : my focus is mainly the 80s (A)D&D adventures. However, once in a blue moon ....

After the end of the month, it'll be back to normal.
I won't be moving FR items in any major way, so your best bet is to do some research, and find the good international sellers (although, mind you, you can sometimes have a bit of luck with FR lots, if you're careful).

All said, I really hope that you do get a full collection of Faerun (1E + 2E) items (yes, 100%, everything).

Only a few of those items (H, etc.) will be pricey, and hard-to-find. That's one of the nice things about the Faerun (1E + 2E) : they had good print runs, and achieving a 100% complete Faerun (1E + 2E) collection is a very reasonable goal.

(Now, don't ask me about a complete, complete, complete FR collection, incl. every little last Dungeon, Dragon, Polyhedron, novel, computer game, etc. - that would be a legendary feat of collecting, worthy of preservation in a library or museum. I've tried, and, honestly, I don't recommend it for anyone (really, are you a 20th level scribe? not all of us are meant to be).

However, a complete Faerun (1E + 2E) collection - high recommendation for any fan of the Realms. It'll take years, it's realistic (2 shelves, most easily available) -- and you have a literal lifetime(s) of adventure, there.

Now, the only problem is the lack of a source that brings all of that Faerun (1E + 2E together).

Really, an on-line, and physical you-can-hold-it your hands index that has use at the gaming table.

I used to run a site called Virtual Fantasy, that was a Realms index, but there, I went all-out. Every last fan-link. In retrospect, I should have started geographically, and by limiting myself to a simple core.

What the Realms needs is a more focused version of the same, with a map/geographical interface, solely limiting the index to the official 1E + 2E sources. (People can always expand from there.) Online, and with printable .pdf 'keybooks'.

For example,
MM (complete listing of all FR monsters, with encounter tables)
PH (all race/class/kit options there)
DMG (nice magic item tables!)
DDG (list of all deities, with page references to the deity books)

Having some kind of a map to put it all together (image map?) would be essential.

Phew!

What were we on about?

Mmm ... international FR items trade.

By Waukeen & Nephthys, really, I should get back to work ..!..
but I still have a passion for the FR
(or, perhaps, the potential of the FR).

Now, I don't know what Interplanar shipping rates are.
You'd have to ask the local temple of Waukeen and/or Nepththys,
for those.

We would all like to imagine that all that you seek,
and more (you never expected this / you didn't think it was real),
is available somewhere, in the Great Marketplace.

Sweet Water and Light Laughter,
Prespos of Iriaebor!

PS. Between Mod Heaven (again, not FR, really, mainly those 80s adventures) and ongoing work on the webpage versions of the 1E handbooks (5 years in the making, another 5 years to go), I am in a bit of a hiatus with the Realms.

However, in the last year that I was working on Virtual Fantasy, the concept of 'FR1E' (using the 1E rules as a constant, but incl. all FR sources, regardless of edition), was something that I was thinking about, to the extent of actually beginning to structure and approach things on VF in 1E. Just something to think (imagine) about, for a nonce ....

Last but not least, I am working on a tabletop version of the old Unlimited Adventures computer game. (Actually, it was slated for a Jan 1 release, didn't pass quality control, so I'm going to try again for the Spring Equinox). UA used overland maps, and all of Faerun would be covered in 16 overland maps (with zones that would link/send one to other 8-panel overland maps : those fold-out maps in the sourcebooks - they have 8 panels / 8 overland maps). Now, that is something I'd love to see - all of Faerun, in either UA computer or tabletop, *integrated*, ready to explore and/or discover.

Hmm, anyway, time to roll up those sleeves, and git back to work, down in the Dungeon Hobby Shop. Hopefully, the bigwigs (bigbeards?) will hire me for 'production', one day, but if they do, hopefully, they'll let me keep a few hours in the Dungeon Hobby Shop. 'Distibution' is kinda fun, carrying the boxes, shippin' em out, rubbin shoulders with various and sundry personages of all unknown sorts (adventurers, of all kinds).

Seriously, though, bringin' it all back to International Buying,
I really do hope that you guys have a local game shop, where you can bring in a coffee, sit down, and shoot the shit for a while.
Really, that's the best, if it's there.
I remember growing up in the 80s, and, man, it was just *magical* ...

A Dictionary of Literary Terms
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Ithaca/3462/literms.htm
Go to Top of Page

prespos
Acolyte

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  03:31:43  Show Profile  Visit prespos's Homepage Send prespos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, just a small postscript:

* Someone mentioned the slow times from Canada (I'm from Toronto, Canada). As a seller, I've noticed this too, on some occasions.
I'm guessing that the reason is:
if it is going Surface international (6.13 to 24.07, depending on weight & destination, up to 2 kg), it first has to go by truck (ship, perhaps, if they send things up the St. Lawrence) to one of the coasts .... we have a big country!. Then, I think, it has to sit, and get processed one more time, before it goes on the boat.

To get around this, one can request Air Mail (8.24 to 59.68), or do letter mail (7.00 for up to 200 g, 14.00 for up to 500 g). As a seller, through eBay auctions, I use surface international as a default, unless a customer wants to pay more for a pricier service (that's because of the way my flat-rate ship works, which starts at a max. of 10, and goes down by 1 for every listing won thereafter. Yes, I regularly send boxes out to France, for free: there's no way I could do that sending via air.) To note, surface international takes 4-8 weeks. And, yes, I wish Aurora was my next-door neighbor!

* As an international buyer, your biggest hurdle will be the box sets (of which there were many). Novels (esp. the hardcovers) could fit in that category, as well. One possible way around this is if you ever get to a Gen Con, and you are able to contact a major RPG seller in advance (not me: in general, the FR titles are out of my area, for now), who will have a presence, there, ask if they can bring a shipment along with them (of course, when you get to the plane, they're probably going to whack you with a bunch of fees, so you'll have to look into those details, as well), so that you can buy them at the Con.

* Again, watch out for the customs. In my experience, anything over 1 or 2 kg, and things start to get dicey. Really, for eBay stuff, I really wish that the US & Canadian governments would do away with these hidden fees, give some subsidy & wage increases to the customs people, to make up for the shortfall - and hopefully that would increase the amount of cross-border trade. Really, it seems like it's the little guy who takes the brunt of customs, and, with me, OK, I don't like it, and it gets written off as a business expense, but from a customer's point of view (ie. someone who might be working at minimum wage, who saved up over time to have some reading material for the summer - those hidden customs fees, can really, really suck). I don't mind sending money to either the US or Canadian postal systems, for the good work they do (actually, I'm more impressed with the US, right now - they're really solid, in my experience), and, in a way, that's giving back to society, but I really wish they would do away with the hidden fee thing. Whether that's practical, or realistic, I don't know.

* Regarding international fans of the Realms.
Unfortunately, there are no .pdfs available, for you gals & guys.
Now, I don't know what the situation with the 4E Realms is,
but, up until then, if I was working for TSR/WotC, I would make it a point that all (one for each region, to have everything fully covered) of the regional sourcebooks/sourceboxes (even if they were one edition behind) would be easily available, to help keep everyone on the same page. Again, I don't know what the 4E situation is, but up until then, not having those regional sources easily and affordably available to all Realms fans is (was) a huge disservice to all of the FR fans.

And yes, *all of the FR fans* definitely means more than the US & Canada. One of the greatest Realms releases (in my estimation, at least : I think it's fair to say that it was on par, or above, the standard Realms release) was done in Germany (Northern Journeys). I've seen fan pages in Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, French.

So, hopefully, there's more support for you gals & guys out there.

Although I can't speak for Ed, I'm pretty sure that he would want everyone on this planet to have decent access to the gates. (Well, maybe not everyone, but probably at least the bunch 'here' at Candlekeep).

Good luck!

prespos

A Dictionary of Literary Terms
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Ithaca/3462/literms.htm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  04:37:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prespos

Hi, just a small postscript:

* Someone mentioned the slow times from Canada (I'm from Toronto, Canada). As a seller, I've noticed this too, on some occasions.
I'm guessing that the reason is:
if it is going Surface international (6.13 to 24.07, depending on weight & destination, up to 2 kg), it first has to go by truck (ship, perhaps, if they send things up the St. Lawrence) to one of the coasts .... we have a big country!. Then, I think, it has to sit, and get processed one more time, before it goes on the boat.

I think that it's entirely customs (that or the Canadian postal service is slow compared to that of the US). As I mentioned above, I've bought stuff from Canada, South America, England, Italy, Australia, Japan, and Malaysia. Once I sent myself something from Ireland. Of all of those places, Canada is the closest -- 2000 miles, maybe, entirely over land, down the east coast of the United States. And yet, the shipments from Canada always take at least two or three weeks. I can order CDs from Japan and have them in hand in three days, buy something from eBay that's coming from Seattle and get it in less than a week, but eBay something from Canada? Two weeks, bare minimum.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Jan 2010 04:38:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000