Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 The New FRCS

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MerrikCale Posted - 17 Aug 2007 : 03:47:52
I believe the new 4e campaign setting is coming out in August 2008. Any thoughts?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Diffan Posted - 08 Feb 2010 : 21:35:41
quote:
Originally posted by danbuter

I think the worst part about it, no matter what edition you like, is that there are no more Forgotten Realms books being produced, other than novels. I guess there's some online stuff that you can buy, but I prefer real books.

So true. I'm a big supporter of 4e and 4eFR and while the DDi articles are well thought-out and fill us readers with more lore, it just doesn't cut it.

I am trying to get WotC to put out some sort of Annual DDi magazine that features just Forgotten Realms articles from the many authors/designers that contrbute. This, I think, would help people who are more Lore-centric to have access to the info w/o subscribing to DDI. And it might just pull a few people in too!
danbuter Posted - 08 Feb 2010 : 02:04:27
I think the worst part about it, no matter what edition you like, is that there are no more Forgotten Realms books being produced, other than novels. I guess there's some online stuff that you can buy, but I prefer real books.
gandalfmithrandir Posted - 05 Feb 2010 : 21:49:21
My Personal Opinion:

I don't like 4E or the 4E forgotten realms. thats just my opinion though and I'm glad that others can like 4E, I really am, I just don't like what wizards did to the games. for all the previous editions you could with relative ease convert your charachter and continue to play a human charachter without having him be 130 years old. plus the setting and mechanics both got wiped clean, I just don't feel particularly D&D-ish while playing 4E, I guess it just depends on your definition of D&D for if you'll like 4E, but to a certain extent every edition will feel diferent, I played a game using AD&D rules about a month ago and it felt a lot different than the 3.5/Pathfinder I normally use. This was probably the case with 1E-AD&D as well, as it will be with all edition changes, so I guess if you like it, that's great and I'm glad you do! this is just my humble opinion.
Uzzy Posted - 14 Nov 2009 : 14:57:47
Robotech does sound cool. Must get round to checking that out sometime!
ShepherdGunn Posted - 09 Nov 2009 : 14:07:25
I know, I know... I'm a bit late to the game... but I finally got my copy of the the 4th Edition Campaign Guide and my wife just got a copy of the 4th edition Players Guide, both as gifts. Apparently, from what I've been told by my friends in my gaming group, they bought them for us because they wanted to get me inspired to start running the Realms again.

After reading through both books, I was inspired... to run a Macross Frontier game using the Palladium Books rules for Robotech. Hmm... I don't think that was the intent that they had when they got me those books.

In a nut shell, I have to agree with Wolly's analogy all those months ago. It would have been a lot better if they had come up with a new setting instead of telling me that this was the Forgotten Realms.
arry Posted - 14 Aug 2009 : 21:18:10
The position of the $ is the same on the English keyboard too.
The Sage Posted - 14 Aug 2009 : 00:55:23
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Because I've established some new guidelines for posting about the 4e Realms, I'd actually like to see us make an effort to tone down use of terms like "$ Edn."

Thank you.

Assuming the guise of "an innocent bystander", I'd like to point out that on our German keyboards, the $ sign is above the 4 on the same key. So it might be utterly coincidental that a $E springs up in a text. Just hitting the caps key a fraction of a second too early ... and all that.

NB: The irony of that simply cannot be missed, of course.

I actually had considered that. Especially after my own experience with a German keyboard some years ago. However, "$ Ed/Edn" is a term I've also seen used elsewhere, as an extension of other inappropriate remarks about 4e FR. So I immediately assumed the same was the case here.

I apologise if Kiaransalyn's case is as Zanan described above.
Zanan Posted - 13 Aug 2009 : 23:59:58
quote:

Because I've established some new guidelines for posting about the 4e Realms, I'd actually like to see us make an effort to tone down use of terms like "$ Edn."

Thank you.

Assuming the guise of "an innocent bystander", I'd like to point out that on our German keyboards, the $ sign is above the 4 on the same key. So it might be utterly coincidental that a $E springs up in a text. Just hitting the caps key a fraction of a second too early ... and all that.

NB: The irony of that simply cannot be missed, of course.
Kiaransalyn Posted - 13 Aug 2009 : 13:14:20
quote:

Thank you.

I didn't see that scroll, sorry. Last night's post was my first after a three month break and I didn't wade through all the new posts. I just wanted to give my own impressions of the latest saucebook, having finally got a chance to see it. After seeing the new setting, I think it may well be three months or longer before my next posts. TTFN.
The Sage Posted - 13 Aug 2009 : 01:00:56

Thank you.
Kiaransalyn Posted - 12 Aug 2009 : 18:04:58
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

I believe the new 4e campaign setting is coming out in August 2008. Any thoughts?

I finally got a chance to look at this recently, on a visit home. My main impression is that the $ Ed FRCS is as if someone has drawn glasses and a moustache on the Mona Lisa. They've defaced something that was once a joy to behold, in the crassest way possible.

The impressions I received from looking through the book was that the new setting was rushed, as if the designers didn't have a lot of time, and badly thought out. For example, if the 'Spellplague' affected arcane spell-casters how have some pre-Spellplague spell-casters survived. If the Spellplague continued for a decade, during which time arcane magic ceased to function, then how did Szass Tam survive?

A lich requires a phylactery. Quote: "The process of achieving lichdom requires that the spellcaster constructs a powerful magical artifact, a phylactery, in which the lich will store its life essence; as long as this phylactery is unharmed, the lich is immortal and will attempt to reassemble if it is ever vanquished (this happens within 10 days after its apparent destruction)." [Source:http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Lich]

If the Spellplague meant that magic ceased to function for ten years what happened to magical artifacts like the phylacteries of liches and what happened to spell-casters in general? To my thinking most evil spell-castes got a good pasting, (and good spell-casters took up a hobby like gardening, or crochet). I guess it's a matter of some debate but from what I saw, the survival of powerful, pre-Spellplague spell-casters didn't sit well with me.

As someone who once enjoyed the Menzoberranzan setting, I had a look at the $ Edn Menzoberranzan. I was impressed to see our old friend, Ghenni'tiroth Tlabbar back as the Matron of House Tlabbar. Surely not the same Ghenni'tiroth Tlabbar who was killed by Matron Oblodra, and subsequently killed by Nimor of the Jaezred Chaulssin? Who knows, or cares.

House Barrison-Armgo and Xorlorrin were mentioned as being full of spell-casters when surely the Spellplague would have affected these two Houses greatly. Although the Armgo are noted warriors. Rather they were noted warriors before the $ Edn came out.

I did do my best to put aside bias, but pretty soon I found myself facing fresh disappointment with each new page. From the very start, where the first chapter is concerned with an adventure to the diminished pantheons, I found myself wondering how did this once enjoyable setting come to fall so low. Wiping away a tear born from good memories, fun games and enjoyable times, I put the book back on the shelf, washed my hands and found a tea-shop.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jun 2009 : 22:53:55
Since I brought up, in my post, the idea of using Returned Abeir in the 1370s-era Realms, I figured I should cross-post Ed's words here.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all!
This time I bring a reply from Ed to Wooly Rupert’s recent query: “Hiya, Ed and lovely Lady Hooded One!
I'm adding yet another question to my ever-growing queue, and this is one that I think may be good for a lot of people...
One of the few high points in the FRCG is the amount of detail and such in the Returned Abeir section. It's quite obvious that that section of the book is pure Ed; his world-building is what makes that area usable.
It occurs to me that Returned Abeir could easily replace one of Toril's undescribed landmasses, rather than replacing something that may not be to everyone's liking but is a part of official canon. The shape isn't right, but since those other landmasses are mostly just blobby shapes on a map, I think that's easy enough to ignore.
However... I'd want to use it as Laerakond, and I'd want to use it in the pre-Sellplague Realms. So all the "Returned" aspects have to be tweaked. I'm thinking the Dawn Titans could be banished/exiled deities, perhaps even one of the groups of Seven Lost Gods. The missing part of the dragonborn kingdom is a bit harder, but maybe it could be an earthquake or the result of an awakened nastybad, perhaps even a Dawn Titan.
So, here's the question, friend Ed: if you had to make that continent work as part of the 1370-ish era, how would you do so?”
Ed replies:

Hi, Wooly! This is a great topic, and, yes, “Returned Abeir” can function just fine as a long-unseen continent of Toril circa 1350s through 1370s with almost no “foreground” changes - - that is, alterations to what mortal adventurers see around them and experience - - at all.
Returned Abeir becomes the identical continent of Laerakond, well southwest of Evermeet, that’s been isolated from direct contact with the distant continent of Faerûn because, yes, the Dawn Titans have been imprisoned there after a long-ago Godswar, behind a mighty Weave-warping divine magic enacted by the familiar Faerûnian gods we all know agreeing and working together (under the direction of Ao, if you use Ao in your campaign).
{If for some reason you want Mystra gone or diminished in your campaign, she could have sacrificed herself to BECOME this magic, retaining power and influence in Faerûn only through her Chosen and her church, as more and more of her divine energy was sapped, as the years passed, in binding and holding the Titans, who are increasingly able to devour it; see hereafter. Or perhaps, if you want to jettison Ao or specific deities from the published pantheon, they made this sacrifice.}
Even deities - - such as Mask, Bane, and Cyric - - who customarily cheat and manipulate to get their own ways in dealings with their fellow gods have no interest in working treachery on this particular deal among the gods, because the Titans, unleashed, are a direct and malicious threat to the gods of Faerûn and all their mortal worshippers. The Titans gain power not through worship, but by devouring souls and life-essence (godhood being their first and foremost desired meal). Letting the Titans go free would eventually mean no deities, and a Toril stripped of all life - - literally bare, windblown earth, with not a plant or beast left.
The Titans entered Realmspace through a rift inadvertently caused by the elven High Magic that cloaked Evermeet, stealing in through the “back door” so to speak, so their point of entry was “behind” (farther from Faerûn than) Evermeet. By chance, it was in the northern part of Laerakond.
Where dragons were already resident, and battling each other in struggles that had long ago reduced them to few in number and forced their conflicts into contests of etiquette, influence, strict rules, and fighting through proxies (lesser beasts, right down to their dragonborn slaves) - - lest their continuing struggles result in no food left for any dragon, or their destruction at the hands of the vastly less powerful but numerically far more numerous other races of Laerakond (such as the giants, humans, et al).
{For a hint of what this dragon society might have been like, recall the evil Skeksis of the DARK CRYSTAL, and also look to a certain contest introduced in the opening pages of the forthcoming - - and great - - Erin Evans novel THE GOD CATCHER, fifth in the ED GREENWOOD PRESENTS WATERDEEP series.}
The arrival of the Titans shattered this status quo and awakened savage battle among the dragons once more - - and the arrival of the deities of Faerûn, alerted by the shockwaves sent through the Weave by Titans hurling magic at dragons who presumed to defy them, and the subsequent battle between gods and Titans, destroyed much of Tymanther. The dragonborn won free of their dragon overlords, the dragons were reduced to a mere handful, much of Laerakond north of “The Snouts” (the capes projecting into the Dragon Sea east of Marrauk and southwest of Stormhelm) was left a magic-ravaged chaos (not lifeless, but a turmoil of destruction and raging wild magic and wild growth and mutation spawned by it, of monsters wandering the land and no order but that of fang and claw) . . . and the Titans were magically bound into stasis, in deep caverns blasted out beneath Fimbrul and Relmaur.
Where they remain to this day, already awake and scheming but unable to win free of their immobility, not daring to try anything too drastic - - like crashing their spell-chains against each other violently and repeatedly - - for fear of collapsing the caverns around them and perishing under the weight of the mountains above. Yet seeking to reach out and rule all Toril from their prisons, by means insidious. They managed much during the Time of Troubles, luring many creatures to them through dream-visions sent forth while the gods were walking Faerûn, and their power is increasing, as rumors spread in Laerakond lure more and more adventurers and power-seekers to them, to this day.

So we have a longtime inability to pass from Faerûn to Laerakond and vice versa, except through a few secret gates (portals), because the elves wanted Evermeet cloaked not just from Faerûn, but also from Laerakond, and for years used lesser magics to aid and abet the magical experimentations of the great ruling dragons of Laerakond.
The dragons were alarmed by some ships arriving at their shores (from Faerûn and elsewhere), and - - after enslaving the crews, from whom many of the humans of their continent are descended - - raised magical storms in the seas around Laerakond that made sailing to and from it foolishly perilous.
Which left legends in Faerûn of a lost land somewhere across the seas, a vast land of terrible dragons and great riches, that a few sailors found long ago, but that none can find today.

Until recently, if you the DM want it to. Perhaps the Time of Troubles, or the deaths and shifting portfolios and power alliances among the gods since (if you have had any of those happen in your campaign) or any of your own tinkerings with the pantheon, have weakened or ended the “storms at sea” zones, and a few intrepid seacaptains have voyaged between one continent to the other, and back. (Or not, if you prefer; I designed both the continents of Faerûn and Laerakond to function perfectly in isolation, each as a campaign setting.)

Note that none of this (the “what happened” ideas I advanced above) invalidates what’s written in the FRCG as “Abeir’s Past.” Those published words merely become the locally-accepted version of things; what most folk of Laerakond believe happened “before the days we know now.”

The Titans become the source of Shar’s recent success, if you want them to, and of the Shadow Weave, if you want to use it, and can even be the backers of Shade (the Princes may or may not be aware of this). They can also be the source of any monsters or cults you want to add to the Realms (even “don’t fit” elements, such as the dragon kings of DARK SUN or something from RUNEQUEST or another fantasy setting or game, that you just want to experiment with as “one-offs”), or hitherto-unknown links (portals) connecting the Realms with, say, Golarion, or Eberron, or the fictional settings of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE or the WHEEL OF TIME or the setting of the Eddings BELGARIAD and MALLOREON or whatever you’d prefer.
The point is that the Titans are bound, and although they may individually be too strong to destroy (and their destruction, akin to an atomic explosion of unprecedented proportions, may be too damaging to Toril to dare attempt), they dare not break free and act openly, because the gods will swarm them and imprison them again, in (already explicitly threatened) greater torment. So instead, they work through proxies, seeking to sew discontent and warfare and mistrust, to weaken rulers and order and increase violence and “the wild” right across the face of the Realms, by cults here and monster breedings there. Perhaps they are behind the deepspawn, or the rise of a beholder realm, or both. They are certainly behind cults, cabals, and attempted treason and usurpations everywhere, and seeking to subvert existing merchant costers, brotherhoods, and other established power groups (the Harper, from within? the War Wizards? the Red Wizards?).
And they are certainly behind expedition after expedition of adventurers, both duped “good” bands and grasping evildoers (or adventurers hired by power-seekers in Tarmalune and your choice of the cities and lands of southern Laerakond) into Relmaur and Fimbrul, seeking to find the deep cavern of this or that Titan, and physically free them. Perhaps the imprisoned Titans are aware of a way to substitute a captured dragon or wizard (or even some or all of the adventurers who are rescuing them) for themselves in the bindings, to prevent gods whose attentions are now elsewhere from knowing that a Titan has won free . . .
Ah, such delicious cans of worms, all opened up in a row before you. Your choice of which to partake of, and how much, and when.
Dig in! :}

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms and Laerakond and lots of crazy, sneaky, fun campaign ideas like this!
GREAT question, Wooly!
love to all,
THO

Edit: I fixed two of Ed's typos. Content otherwise unchanged.

Fillow Posted - 31 May 2009 : 18:16:22
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

Aber sicher doch! Au contraire, mon ami !

Using this search algorythm, the first hit is page 67, the second hit is page 66.

Using Google.fr gives different results ! really !
Alles klar mein Freund / Everything is allright fellow scribe !
Ayunken-vanzan Posted - 31 May 2009 : 13:05:15
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

quote:

If you know what you are looking for, you can use Google for these halls by using this query in Google's search field:

philosophy realms Ed site:forum.candlekeep.com

Ja Ayunken aber es gibt nicht die Seite 66 des Pergamentes.

Yes Ayunken but this search does not directly drive to the 66st page of the Ed's scroll, the one about which Sage spoke.

Aber sicher doch! Au contraire, mon ami !

Using this search algorythm, the first hit is page 67, the second hit is page 66.
Fillow Posted - 31 May 2009 : 12:38:15
quote:

I tend to save discussions like this because they could be useful as entries for the Candlekeep's Guide to Forgotten Realms FAQ. I've got plenty of archives that store similar types of information -- with each file recording posters/scribes, date/year, URL, and page number where applicable. I then simply search these archives for discussions that I remember [and even if I don't], and then post the relevant information here at Candlekeep. Much like I did earlier, in reply to your philosophy question.

A lot of work Sage !
Good stuff.
Thanks (as usual !)
Fillow Posted - 31 May 2009 : 12:36:46
quote:

If you know what you are looking for, you can use Google for these halls by using this query in Google's search field:

Ja Ayunken aber es gibt nicht die Seite 66 des Pergamentes.

Yes Ayunken but this search does not directly drive to the 66st page of the Ed's scroll, the one about which Sage spoke.
The Sage Posted - 31 May 2009 : 12:03:27
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Another off-topic question :
How did you to find the reference so fast ? I understand you remember the discussion but the number of the page ! How can you find it so fast ?
I tend to save discussions like this because they could be useful as entries for the Candlekeep's Guide to Forgotten Realms FAQ. I've got plenty of archives that store similar types of information -- with each file recording posters/scribes, date/year, URL, and page number where applicable. I then simply search these archives for discussions that I remember [and even if I don't], and then post the relevant information here at Candlekeep. Much like I did earlier, in reply to your philosophy question.
Ayunken-vanzan Posted - 31 May 2009 : 11:17:20

Fillow Posted - 31 May 2009 : 10:34:40
quote:

Yes. There are some NPCs with noted references to philosophical schools in their write-ups.

And Kuje and I have pending questions for Ed about philosophy in the Realms, and any particular schools active throughout its history.

If you're truly interested in this subject, I suggest you take a look through Ed's '07 "Questions" scroll [pg. 66] for a rather detailed side-discussion between myself, the late Jamallo Kreen, and Steven Schend. We rambled on about philosophy in the Realms somewhat.

Allright Sage,
Thanks (once again !) for that.
I'm going to have a look at the Ed's scroll.

Another off-topic question :
How did you to find the reference so fast ? I understand you remember the discussion but the number of the page ! How can you find it so fast ?
The Sage Posted - 31 May 2009 : 09:55:52
Yes. There are some NPCs with noted references to philosophical schools in their write-ups.

And Kuje and I have pending questions for Ed about philosophy in the Realms, and any particular schools active throughout its history.

If you're truly interested in this subject, I suggest you take a look through Ed's '07 "Questions" scroll [pg. 66] for a rather detailed side-discussion between myself, the late Jamallo Kreen, and Steven Schend. We rambled on about philosophy in the Realms somewhat.
Fillow Posted - 31 May 2009 : 08:26:43
You all seem to be out of Realms with your philosophic discussion !
About that, are there any known philosophers in the Realms ?
But I'm going off-topic...
Uzzy Posted - 30 May 2009 : 23:35:22
I was referring to Leibniz's Law of Identities. (Yeah, I know. I've been doing a lot of Philosophy.)

Basically it states that two things are one and the same if they have the same properties. An idea which Wooly seems to have talked about in his last post, to quite humourous effect.
Ayunken-vanzan Posted - 30 May 2009 : 21:25:47
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I just work on the assumption that the 4th Edition Setting isn't the Realms at all. I think Leibniz's has a few theories on that.

I'm not sure who this Leibniz is, but I don't think it's the same setting at all.

Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, an important German philosopher. In trying to answer the Theodizee* question, he formulated his famous saying that we live in the best of all possible worlds.

*If God is almighty-so that he actually could do everything that he wants-and he really loves his creation-so that he really wants its best-: why is there so much evil and sorrow in this world?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 May 2009 : 21:21:12
quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

That analogy is absolutely glorious!

Thank you!

I came up with that one like two months ago, but I'd not really had a chance to use it.
Dart Ambermoon Posted - 30 May 2009 : 21:12:35

That analogy is absolutely glorious!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 May 2009 : 18:14:28
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I just work on the assumption that the 4th Edition Setting isn't the Realms at all. I think Leibniz's has a few theories on that.

I'm not sure who this Leibniz is, but I don't think it's the same setting at all.

Here's my analogy: I like a good peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I like them with a liberal amount of Jif creamy peanut butter and a liberal amount of Smucker's strawberry jam, all on two pieces of white bread. To me, that's the idea PBJ.

And if the Realms was a PBJ, that was 1E and 2E.

Now, you can swap the Jif creamy peanut butter for Peter Pan extra crunchy. And you can swap the Smucker's strawberry for store-brand grape jelly. This sandwich is not my ideal PBJ, but it still has peanut butter, and it still has jelly. It is therefore still a PBJ. This is the 3E Realms.

Now comes 4E. WotC said some people were allergic to peanuts, so they swapped out the peanut butter for cheese. And they said some people don't like jelly, so that was removed in favor of lunch meat. And then WotC pointed to it and said "Look! We improved your PBJ! And you know it's still a PBJ, because it's still on white bread!"

That cheese and lunch meat sandwich might be very delicious... But when I'm told it's a PBJ, I'm expecting it to be a PBJ. When I bite in and discover an absence of PB and an absence of J, then I am not going to be happy, because it's not what I wanted, and it's not what I was told it was. If I had been told it was cheese and lunch meat, then I would have expected those things, and I wouldn't have been unhappy. Instead, they sold me a PBJ without the peanut butter or the jelly.

You improve a PBJ by using better jelly and better peanut butter. You don't improve it by removing both of them.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 May 2009 : 18:03:47
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

If I manage to (for a moment) shut out my anger over what has been done to my favorite setting, this is my remaining problem with the 4e Realms: Had this been a totally new setting, people might have embraced it as a cool way to play with the 4e magic system.

I would have eagerly embraced a new setting that had many of the same details as the Shattered Realms.

quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

I guess my complaint (on this point) is that this just seems to be such a boneheaded business decision; how many books would J.K. Rowling have sold if, after The Half-Blood Prince she had elected to move foreward a hundred years, insert a bit about a magickal storm that invalidated everything she'd ever written about how magic works, sent Harry to live in obscurity somewhere, and killed off Ron and Hermione offstage and with no explanation? I think she'd be homeless again, and yet I keep hearing how WotC is 'bringing in new blood' by making basically the same decision.

Excellent example!
Uzzy Posted - 30 May 2009 : 17:10:00

But yeah, it certainly does feel like I've been told to go away, despite buying nearly all the 3rd Edition Realms products I could. Ah well. The Realms died a death in the final pages of GHoTR.
Knight of the Gate Posted - 30 May 2009 : 16:56:09
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

They really should have made a new world for all this nonsense and let the Realms die...or told us old timers to get lost in a more explicit way.

If I manage to (for a moment) shut out my anger over what has been done to my favorite setting, this is my remaining problem with the 4e Realms: Had this been a totally new setting, people might have embraced it as a cool way to play with the 4e magic system. It might even have worked in Eberron, where there isn't an enormous (and notoriously finicky about what is done to the setting) 20+ year-old fanbase to alienate by totally invalidating everything that has gone before.
I guess my complaint (on this point) is that this just seems to be such a boneheaded business decision; how many books would J.K. Rowling have sold if, after The Half-Blood Prince she had elected to move foreward a hundred years, insert a bit about a magickal storm that invalidated everything she'd ever written about how magic works, sent Harry to live in obscurity somewhere, and killed off Ron and Hermione offstage and with no explanation? I think she'd be homeless again, and yet I keep hearing how WotC is 'bringing in new blood' by making basically the same decision.
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 30 May 2009 : 12:51:47
Whereas the message this old-timer hears from the FRCG in particular and Fourth Edition in general is "welcome back!"

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000