Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for all about Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  01:21:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm linking this scroll to the General Forgotten Realms Chat: Obarskyrs in Impiltur scroll at the suggestion of scribe Jeremy Grenemyer; there's some interesting speculation in there, particularly regarding a possible blood relationship between Caladnei and the Obarskyr family. I'll be putting the question to Ed momentarily as well.

Edit: Nope, crazedventurers beat me to the post in Ed's scroll. That's good; I've felt very demanding lately, so I'm glad someone else asked the question.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 01 Mar 2012 01:24:44
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1700 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  06:53:45  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for carrying this scroll here, fellow scribe Jakk.
Very interesting tidbits, indeed.

As this is the only thread I am reading atm, I am glad for any hint and suggestion to other Cormyr-related talk going on elsewhere in these Halls.
As will be any other scribe coming here looking for all about Cormyr... :)

Best Regards, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  21:50:50  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on females in the Purple Dragons

Cheers

Damian
Ed replies:

Making war (or even border patrolling) was NOT Alusair's primary occupation.
However, I take your intent.
Many women in Cormyr have joined the Purple Dragons, taken employment as armed guards, and so on. Less than an average of, say, fifteen percent or so in peacetime, but that percentage doubles if you include (volunteer) militia membership. And rises sharply if the realm is actively at war. It comes down to more women than men being better at craftwork, and so needed not just "in the home," but to keep making and repairing things and keeping foodstuffs moving to supply garrisons and armies on the move. (And more men than women having the strength and interest to drill with polearms and swing swords.) Aside from the skilled "making of things," women have always excelled and predominated in Cormyr at horsebreeding and horse training (and the breeding and training of oxen and mules, too).
So female warriors are by no means unknown, but are certainly less common than male warriors.

So saith Ed. Who tells me some of your requests about specific individuals are NDA, but will tell you so properly when he's had the time to check details on this.
love,
THO

Addendum: More from Ed

I should note in his reply above that when Ed says "craftwork," he means in the Realms sense (making of items sold in shops, a.k.a. "goods guildwork"), not in the modern North American "arts and crafts" meaning of the word.

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 06 Mar 2012 21:52:16
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2012 :  10:05:29  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian Cortijo on Cormyrean Gold Pieces

Cheers

Damian
A Cormyrean golden lion (gp) is essentially a "core" gold piece in weight- just about 50 per pound.
For those keeping score, that's 0.32 ounces, or 9.0719 grams (you can safely round to 9.072g) per coin.

That's assuming, of course, that these are legitimate coins of proper weight, and not mixed-metal, forged, counterfeit or shaved coins.

As an aside, shaving coins isn't usually a good way of making money, because taking more than about 2.5% of the coin's total weight (reducing its weight from 0.02 pounds to 0.0195 poumds) makes it immediately detectable (both visibly, and by weight). 40 expertly shaved coins weigh exactly the same as 39 genuine coins (0.78 pounds), making it a labor-intensive way of making money usually only engaged in by people who have long periods of time to hold onto--but not spend a coin of--someone else's coin, in very large amounts.

That is, people who hold onto cash for adventurers...

Watching 200 gp for the local adventuring band while they head off to the local dungeon is only going to net you, at most, 5 gp more than whatever your stated fee is, and that's only if you're skilled enough to both properly shave the coins, to mint forgeries of Cormyrean or some other currency, and fool the adventurers into believing you haven't done anything wrong.

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 13 Mar 2012 10:06:41
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Master of Realmslore

USA
1591 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2012 :  04:50:03  Show Profile  Visit Jeremy Grenemyer's Homepage Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may wish to add Bury Elminster Deep to your sources list. Lots of juicy Cormyr information in that book.

Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

"Writing to destroy and to scandalize can be as destructive to the writer as it is to the subject." --William Zinsser
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  09:31:41  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed and THO on coins in Cormyr

Cheers

Damian

Hi again, all.
Therise, your question about the relative worth of Sembian and Cormyrean gold pieces has been answered before. The "quickie" version is: in everyday Cormyrean situations, for common folk, they're accepted as the same.
As we've played in Cormyr extensively over the years, and Ed has been asked many questions about the Forest Kingdom by TSR and WotC designers and RPGA folks, as well as scribes here, I have extensive notes on Cormyr from him, and so can answer you straightaway...as follows...
"If you looked in your money-pouch, and you're upper middle class (not a penniless wretch), what variety of coins are you most likely to have in there?"
If you're in Cormyr, most of the mintings would be of Cormyr, followed by Sembia, followed by Westgate, followed by Amnian and a smattering of Sword Coast, Vilhon, and Moonsea mintings.

"Also, for Cormyr, are there certain trademoots (or whatnot) that see an infusion of non-realm coinage?"
Yes, Arabel and Marsember and Suzail, lots daily, and Waymoot, Hultail, and Wheloon (until its transformation into a prison), a trickle daily.

"And how quickly can one get currency "exchanged" for coinage of the Realm?"
In the above "lots daily" places, right away if you go to a moneylender (and pay a changing fee). Elsewhere, AND in the three cities, right away if you make a purchase with outland currency; your change is likely to be mainly in Cormyrean coinage (with a smattering of Sembian and Westgate).

"Are there certain purchases (or certain goods) that absolutely require Cormyrean-made coinage (or Cormyrean-made trade bars) because of local laws?"
Yes. Certain royal licenses (hunting, land deed and marriage document and other Court scrivener services)specify "coin of the realm." However, almost all casual daily transactions and royal/Court/civic tolls and fees can be paid in any currency, if the coins aren't obviously fakes or deeply "shaved" or marred, or otherwise obviously "not worth their facings."

This all comes from Ed's notes. Off you queries have gone to him, too, to see if he has anything to add.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1700 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  11:48:47  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

You may wish to add Bury Elminster Deep to your sources list. Lots of juicy Cormyr information in that book.

Done!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  09:15:44  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on trading caravans found on the Way of the Manticore

Cheers

Damian

Hi, Therise! Well, it DOES depend. :}
Especially on whether or not it’s daylight, and what the weather is like (lashing rain or freezing temperatures aren’t just hard on drovers and animals, they ruin some cargoes). Also on the time of year (the spring and fall mud and the winter snows can sometimes close down that road linking Cormyr and Sembia through Daerlun, and there’s always heavy traffic just after harvests, and during the spring “opening up” and just before the winter “drawing down” of roads).
However, let’s assume that it’s an average summer day, not near any special occasion, it’s peacetime, and you are spending the day traveling along that road at an average speed (overtaking few and being overtaken by few).
So here we go . . .
You would almost NEVER be out of sight of pilgrims or a family walking, and a peddler/messenger (on horse, leading a mule, or just shouldering two balanced satchels, and walking).
You would seldom be out of sight of a farmer (with assistant), on a wagon or cart, usually moving hay or feed, but sometimes straw or manure.
Your “lone merchant, perhaps with a few pack animals, maybe one wagon” will almost always have an assistant or his wife - - or if lacking that, will “pair up” with another lone merchant for such overland treks (so if a wagon wheel or someone’s leg breaks, someone else can go for help or aid the injured). You’ll see one of them about every five minutes, and pass them about every ten minutes (i.e. they’ll be in sight before and after you actual pass them).
Your “small family or band (2-3 merchants) with 1-2 wagons and guards” will be in view about every twelve minutes apart.
Your “large caravan, with 4+ merchants and multiple wagons and guards,” from two to five an hour.
Larger caravans, of 20 wagons or more, perhaps eight a day. Wartime or harvest-tide or “buildup of goods” caravans of any sort can be as large as sixty wagons (and in dangerous overland areas in the Sword Coast North, forty-odd wagons is the prudent minimum for caravans), but the Cormyr-Sembia coast road is busy, with large caravans more unwieldy than needed for safety, so big caravans tend to be large “single shipper movements,” like a coster racing a fish catch in a dozen wagons.
An average day might see ten to fourteen of these sorts of 8-16 wagon “runs.” As I said, it’s a busy road.
Hope I’ve been of help.

So saith Ed. Who is happily writing and designing something secret right now.
Love to all,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2012 :  03:12:03  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on trade goods that flow between Cormyr and Sembia (from actual game play)

Cheers

Damian

I've sent your post to Ed for a proper reply, of course, but we've spoken about this very topic recently, in our own campaign, and the short reply re. trade goods passing along that road is: EVERYTHING.
As in: anything that isn't really bulky yet not harmed by damp (because heavy bulk cargoes like charcoal and lumber and stone often go by ship, along the Dragon Coast - - but everything else goes by wagon). Cormyr is the source for a lot of "raw materials" (pigment for paintings and frames, finishes for furniture AND the wood for that same furniture, metal ingots for use in making wire and fine castings, etc.) that Sembian firms and crafters use in making "finished goods").
Ed will provide proper details, of course, but those wagons could have just about EVERYTHING: raw or refined materials/ingredients, and horse-related finished goods like tack and harness, going from Cormyr to Sembia - - and all the "finished" goods made from them, going from Sembia to Cormyr (and, via the caravans overland through the Heartlands, on to the Sword Coast).
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

archmagestar
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2012 :  04:24:28  Show Profile Send archmagestar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Hi folks!

I created this scroll gathing material to help me in running a campaing in Cormyr (or Tethyr, which I had not decided at that time - see other thread). However, this has kind of evolved above the mere selfish intent, now being more or less a project of mine to collect as much official cormyrian lore as possible so that others may also benefit from it.

For all of those interested in Cormyr, I hope this list of sources helps you flesh out your campaigns or is able to provide the fastest way to answers to one or two of your questions concerning the Forest Kingdom.

If you happen to find other sources not yet included in my list below: fellow monks, scribes and lore seekers, put on your library sneakers; heed my call and bring 'em all.

Before you go on though, I would like to make you aware of the fact that the maretial on Cormyr for 4th Edition (1385 DR and later) from the 'Countdown of the Realms' articles as well as all 4th Ed. material on Cormyr in general will be found here in the following:

Adventures:
- Scepter Tower of Spellguard
- Forgotten Realms Conversion of the adventure Keep on the Shadowfell (both linked to pdf-download)

Novels:
- Elminster must die! (sample chapter in the novel Circle of Skulls)
-Bury Elminster deep

DDi articles:
- DDi Countdown of the Realms article by Brian R. James: Spellplague: The Wailing Years has some info on Cormyr during this very special time (see p. 4 of this thread for the relevant excerts)
- DDi Countdown of the Realms article by Rich Baker: Year of the Ageless One on Imperial Cormyr in 1479 DR (see p. 4 of this thread for the relevant excerts)
- DDi article by Brian R. James: Backdrop: Cormyr including a detailed map of the Kingdom in 1479 DR.
- DDi Eye on the Realms article by Ed Greenwood: 'Tarmel Drouth, Outcast Noble'
- DDi Eye on the Realms article by Ed Greenwood: Queen Filfaeril's Blades
- DDi Eye on the Realms article by Ed Greenwood: Xraunrarr Will Triumph
- DDi article by Brian Cortijo: The Royal Blades of Cormyr - Swords of State
- DDi article by Eric Menge: Backdrop: Suzail

And now, here is the list of those sources from 1st to 3rd- Ed. I was able to dig up so far, mentioned in this thread or otherwise:

Sourcesbooks:
- FR Adventures (2106)
- FR Campaign Setting (1st, 2nd & 3rd Ed)
- FR Cormyr (9410)
- Volo's Guide to Cormyr (9486) (zip-file)
- Elminster's Ecology Box Set (1111) (for info on Stonelands, Cormyrean Marshes, Thunder Peaks & Storm Horns)
- FR 13 Anauroch (9320) (esp. Stonelands)
- FR Atlas (8442)
- Grand History of the Realms
- Faith & Pantheons ('Wyvernstones of Hullack' also known as 'the Elfhold', p. 174)
- Lords of Darkness (esp.cormyr-related are: 'Fire Knifes, p. 134; 'Iron Throne', p. 141; 'Eldreth Veluuthra', p. 130)
- FR Pirates of the Fallen Stars (9346) (see p. 4 of this thread for a copy of some of that material)

Adventures:
- Four from Cormyr (zip-file)
- Haunted Halls of Eveningstar
- Curse of the Azure Bonds
- Time of Troubles modules ('Shadowdale', 'Tantras', 'Waterdeep')
- Marco Volo: Journey (zip-file) (Chapter 3)
- Into the Dragons Lair
- Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave

Novels:
- Crown of Fire [see p. 4 of this thread for further details]
- Stormlight [see further down of p. 1 of the thread for more insides from Ed and p. 9]
- Murder in Cormyr [see p. 4 of this thread for further details]
- Lost Library of Cormanthyr [see p. 7 of this thread for further details]
- Tymora's Luck
- Crusade
- Azure Bonds
- Ring of Winter (at least starts in Cormyr)
- Elminster in Hell (cormyr-related lore in a few flashbacks of the old sage throughout the book)
- Elminster's Daughter
- the Cormyr Saga (Cormyr: a novel, Beyond the Highroad, Death of the Dragon)
- Frostfell (featuring a War Wizard, minor information about High Horn)
- Knights of Myth Drannor-Trilogy (Swords of Eveningstar, Swords of Dragonfire & The Swords Never Sleep)

Short Stories:
- A Virtue by Reflection - Scott Ciencin in Realms of Valor
- The Family Business - James Lowder in Realms of Valor
- Laughter in the Flames - James Lowder in Realms of Infamy
- The Club Rules - James Lowder in Realms of Mystery

In Dragon Magazine according to Dragondex ["Article Name" (main content) in: issue(page)]:
"Pages from the Mages IV" (The Tome of the Wyvernwater Cicle) in: 164 (61)
"The Ghazneths" (Beyond the High Road: Monsters) in: An4(114)
"Heroes of the Crown" (Beyond the High Road: Characters) in: An4(134)
"After the Dragon" (Lore) in: An5(58)
"Next Stop: Eveningstar" (Lore) in: 157(64)
"Cormyrian Contacts" (NPCs) in: 276(76)
"Lost Treasures of Cormyr Part 1-4" (Magic Items) in: 278(88), 279(80), 280(84) & 281(76)
"Horrors of Cormyr, The" (New Monsters) in: 299(52)
"Heroes of Cormyr" (PrC) in: 307(46)

In Dungeon Magazine ["Article name" in: issue(page)]:
"Ironguard - There is no tomb like home" in: 18(4)
"The Doors from Everywhere" in: 88(15)
"Practical Magic" in: 113(35)

Realmslore Articles on Cormyr by Ed Greenwood:
- Rise and Fall of the Window Tax Part I & Part II; telling of an unusual tax to compansate the financial difficulties during wartime.
- State Visit to Cormyr Part I & Part II; outlining the sequence of events (and preparations for them) involved in a state visit to Cormyr.
- Semberholme Part I & Part II, detailing this special place in Cormyr.
- Azouns Offspring; covering the many "Dragon's bastards", as the unlawful children of Azoun IV are called.
- not available at the moment is A Moment With Alusair[link removed]- from the hands of Elminster, a hitherto-suppressed snippet of Realmslore relevant to the novel Swords of Dragonfire.

On Cormyrean Locations:
- On Semberholme see the Realmslore Article above.
- On the Forgotten Keep, found on the a map of Eveningstars surroundings in Volo's Guide to Cormyr, read a bit in the lower part of this very page and in this thread as well.
- for Taverns in Cormyr look at the scribes gatherings of Candlekeep: Taverns and Inns in the Realms
- The set-up of a typical family farm of Cormyr is illustrated in the Elminster's Ecologies Box Set, The Settled Lands p. 6.
- Cormyr locations featured in the Perilous Gateways articles: The Cormyr Portal (Portals of the Triad), The Internest Portal (Aarakocran Portals) & The Farsea Marsh Portal (Portals in Ruins).
- On Firevall Vale & Keep see Ed's reply of March 4th 2004, copied to page 1 of this thread (containing spoilers from 'Stormlight').
- Rich Baker's article Cavern of Death discribes an unusual location some 90 miles west of Tilverton in the Stonelands.
- On page 4 of this thread you will find two answers of Ed detailing the Hidden House and its entrance found in Tessaril's Tower in Eveningstar.
- On the Elfhold in the Hullack Forest see p. 174 es seq. of the 3rd Ed. sourcebook Faith & Pantheons.
- On the village/town of Ghars see the summary of information obtained from Volo's Guide to Cormyr and the novel 'Murder in Cormyr' on p. 4 of this thread.
- A brief discussion on the Crystal Grot, a secret place full of sapphires, and on other mines in Cormyr on p. 5 of this theard.
- Ed's detailed answers concerning Thunderstone see page 6 (starts at the bottom) and esp. page 7 of this thread.
- A 'one-way-only' portal leading from the Farlight Stones to Muskin's Well. Storm Silverhand travels through it in chapter 3 of Stormlight, p.39-43. (see also page 9)
- The main street in Arabel is named Thalonder's Ride. Read more on it and Thalonder himself on p. 12 of this thread.

On Cormyr's Military:
- The Military Forces of Cormyr (Version 1.2) annotated by Jerry Davis from various official sourcebooks.
- The Ranks of the Purple Dragons of Cormyr are listen in 3rd Ed. Power of Faerun, p. 29; compare also the reply by Garen Thal on page 2 of this thread.
- For Honor Decorations of the Purple Dragons of Cormyr see also 3rd Ed. Power of Faerun, p. 34.
- For Inforamtion in the Naval Forces of Cormyr, see page 4 of this thread.
- The Oath of Loyalty sworn by the War Wizards can be found on p. 5 of this thread (thanks to Wolly). I might at that during the ceremony the royal blade Rissar is used to shed some drops of blood by the war wizards taking the oath. It is rumored that these drops are carefully kept in vials by the Royal Mage, who can work deadly magic on treacherous war wizards from afar by means of the precious droplets! (see Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 11)
- A special war horse: the Cormyrean Destrier, see 3rd Ed. Realms of Valor, p. 154.

On Cormyr's Nobles and other Citizens of the Forest Kingdom:
- A discussion scroll on King Azoun IV can be found here at Candlekeep: Azoun IV.
- For an extensive list of the Nobles of Cormyr see: 1. this scoll and/or 2. that one and/or 3. here (Scroll 1 & 2 draw not exclusivly on canon lore though.)
- Wyvernspur Family Lineage done by Garen Thal
- Nadul DaRoni, a Gnome artificier who settled near High Horn, featured in the Realms Personalities article.
- The stats of the Steel Regent Alusair. This link's info is identical with the FRCS 3rd Ed. entry and shows the correct stats (Ftr7/Rgr1/Pdk2) according to Tom Costa. Older inaccurate stats of her can be found in Dragon Magazine Annual 2000 article 'After the Dragon' (Ftr20), Heroes Lorebook (Ftr6) and in the adventure module 'Curse of the Azure Bonds'(Thief6).
- House Cormaeril Family Coat of Arms can be found in 2nd Ed. FR Campaign setting (purple dragon with golden trumpet); for the earliest collective symbol of a Cormyr banner see the quotes of George Krashos and Garen Thal on page 3 of this thread.
- Official Royal lineage of Cormyr can be found in the 2nd Ed. FR Campaign Set, p. 34.
- The leaders of noble houses swear allegiance to the king of Cormyr on Symylazarr (the Fount of Honor), an ancient rune-engraved blade with a pommel in the shape of a dragon's head, which is used ceremonially since at least 376 DR (Cormyr: A Novel, p. 210, Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 11).
- p. 87 of 3rd Ed. Power of Faerun shows a young noble with his shield, depicting the badge (simplified arms) of the Hawklin noble family of Cormyr. (more information in Ed's reply from Feb 2nd 2008)
- Court Herald Touchstar of Cormyr, is shown on p. 110 of 3rd Ed. Power of Faerun wearing her badge, a literal shield [buckler] oversized cloak-pin. (For more on the “ancient enemy of the crown” she’s pointing at read Ed's reply from Feb 2nd 2008)
- Nadasha and Lycon of Sune are two Harper agents active in Cormyr. (Elfshadow by E. Cunningham, p. 277)
- 'Alkenen the peddler' is a roadfaring merchent, who is active from the Heartlands to Sembia, traveling through Cormyr from time to time. (Twilight Falling by Paul S. Kemp, p. 32 et seq.)[see p. 9 of this thread for a short info on him]
- Rogart Perilhaven, a 9th level Ranger spying in and around Corm Orp for Cormyr ('Training Grounds', an adventure from Dungeon Magazine #67, p. 34.)

Other useful Web-Links:
- for a list of Cormyr-related replies by Ed(2004-2007) in the Chamber of Sages section of Candlekeep go to page 2 of this thread (and compare them with Kuje's compiled files).
- 'The History of Cormyr', compiled into XML by no other than Brian R. James.
- a fan page to Cormyr
- another fan page can be found here
- yet another fan page focusing on the town of Eveningstar: Welcome to Eveningstar
- for musings about Cormyr's current Councel of Mages see here
- a scroll discussing the Ghazneths
- The Purple Dragon Scroll gives some info on and around the notorious black dragon Thauglorimorgorus, also known as the Purple Dragon of Cormyr. For a list of all Dragons lairing in or around Cormyr check page 3 of this very thread.
- Two ideas on Cormyr and Spelljamming, which I found on the Spelljammer Mailing List are posted on page 3 of this thread.
- A thread here at Candlekeep, discussing Cormyr in 1351, esp. Gondegal "the Lost King".
- For a discussion about the royal linage and a possible blood relationship between Caladnei and the Obarskyr family see General Forgotten Realms Chat: Obarskyrs in Impiltur

Maps of:
- the Kingdom of Cormyr:
Map of the entire Kingdom of Cormyr
2nd Ed. FR Campaign set, p. 33 (detailed)
Cormyr, last pages
3rd Ed. FR Campaign Setting, p. 117
adventure Maro Volo: Journey, p. 26
adventure 'Waterdeep' p. 6 & (fold map); novel 'Waterdeep', p 0
novel 'Beyond the High Road', p. 0
novel 'Crown of Fire', p. 0
Borders only: 2nd Ed. FR Campaign Setting, Grand Tour of the Realms p. 43; Dragon Magazine Annual 2000, p. 65
Eastern border region, Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 84, 97
- Arabel:
2nd Ed. FR Campaign set, p. 24/25
2nd Ed. FR Capaign setting, Grand Tour of the Realms p. 46/47

2nd Ed. FR Adventures, p. 74/75
Cormyr, p. 18/19
surroundigs in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 128, 130, 135, 142, 164; novel 'Shadowdale'
- Bospir:
surroundings in Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 128, 130
- Dhedluk:
surroundings in: 2nd Ed. FR Campaign setting, Running the Realms p. 11; Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 135, 140, 164, 171, 175
- Eveningstar:
Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 144/145; Haunted Halls of Eveningstar; Adventure 'Waterdeep' (fold map); Into the Dragon's Lair, p. 16
surroundings in: 2nd Ed. FR Campaign setting, Running the Realms p. 11; Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 135, 142, 164
- High Horn:
Cormyr, p. 27
Power of Faerun, p. 39
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 173
- Hultail:
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 190
- Immersea:
2nd Ed. FR Campaign set, p. 53
2nd. Ed. FR Campaign setting, Grand Tour of the Realms p. 52
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 128, 152, 16; novel 'Shadowdale'
- Juniril:
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 87, 97, 152, 190
- Kirinwood:
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 84, 92, 118
- Marsember:
2nd Ed. FR Adventures, p. 92/93
Cormyr, p. 14
Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 42/43
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 81, 159
Dungeon Magazine 113, p. 37
- Smugglers Stone:
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 92, 118
- Suzail:
2nd Ed. FR Campaign set, p. 82/83
2nd Ed. FR Campaign setting, Grand Tour of the Realms p. 54/55
2nd Ed. FR Adventures, p. 108/109
Cormyr, p. 8/9
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 81, 159
- Thunderstone:
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 194
partually in Four From Cormyr (Map 8)
- Tilverton (old):
2nd Ed. FR Adventures, p. 112/113
Cormyr, p. 22
Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 198/199
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 196; novel 'Shadowdale', Dungeon Magazine issue #100, p. 53 (as part of the adventure 'Woe to Mistledale')
- Tyrluk:
(destroyed) Into the Dragon's Lair, p. 23
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 173
- Waymoot:
Cormyr, p. 30
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 140, 168, 171, 175
- Wheloon:
Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 106/107
adventure 'Waterdeep' (fold map)
adventure 'Cormyr - Tearing of the Weave', p. 149
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 87; adventure 'Cormyr - Tearing of the Weave', p. 152
- Wormtower:
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 84, 118
- Yeoman Bridge:
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 128, 152, 190
- Stonelands north of Cormyr (thanks to Markustay):
Map 1
Map 2 with special Dungeon Master notes!

Enjoy gaming!

Forgotten Realms Junkie
Go to Top of Page

archmagestar
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2012 :  04:25:49  Show Profile Send archmagestar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Impressive list, very impressive list.

Forgotten Realms Junkie
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Master of Realmslore

USA
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2012 :  19:54:29  Show Profile  Visit Jeremy Grenemyer's Homepage Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is very impressive.

That said, it could use some updating. Will need to list references to the recent Cormyr articles that were published in January of this year.

<adds another item to the to do list>

"Writing to destroy and to scandalize can be as destructive to the writer as it is to the subject." --William Zinsser
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  10:33:25  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeremy Grenemyer's impressive write up of 'home brew' Wizards of War on this thread

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16511&whichpage=1

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  20:43:51  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on doll houses and associated paraphernalia, as well as what happens to disloyal courtiers to make them play the game....

Cheers

Damian

Jeremy asked: "Ed, what can you tell us about doll houses in Cormyr? Do they exist? Are or were they ever popular? Are or were there any merchants or crafters of surpassing skill (in or out of Cormyr) who took on noble or Royal patrons and made doll houses and/or lifelike miniatures for the noble's children?"

Ed: Yes to all of those. "Houses" (as in: mansions, or little three-room "archaels" [one-open-sided fanciful buildings representing three linked rooms for dressup dolls representing royalty or nobility or wealthy fashionplate women, and their servants) were popular only among nobility and the highcoin-wealthy "wannabe noble" wealthy merchants. For everyone else, toy or dollhouse farms or castles (or "waykeeps," which might best be described as lone turret fanciful cut-down castles) were popular.

Jeremy: "Did any of these craftsmen use magic to animate their creations, create magical constructs or create clockwork versions of maids, doorjacks and so on that move about in the dollhouse and/or can respond to commands of the child as though the child were the head of the family?"

Ed: Yes, but now you're talking the rarest and most expensive examples, more talked-of than ever seen, for most of the populace.
Many crafters used concealed pull-rods, levers, and even buttons to be depressed, to operate mechanically-opening doors, little water cisterns that poured real water, and so on, in the miniature houses they built and sold, but magically-animated are REAL luxuries.

Jeremy: "I have an idea for an NPC noble, who is head of his house and was shrunk down via magical calamity, for whom his wife is forced to find doll house-like accommodations while she looks for a cure and tries to hide his condition from rivals, war wizards, maybe the house wizard (during King Foril's reign, must all house wizards be war wizards?) and even the children, so any info you can provide would be most appreciated."

Ed: That's a GREAT idea. There are wizards and disloyal servants and even one noble I know of who got shrunk and "frozen" into chessmen, still in use around the Royal Palace in Suzail by the unwitting. I'll have to check to see what else I can say here without running into NDAs, though.

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work on more Realmslore for us all, of course.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Master of Realmslore

USA
1591 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  00:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Jeremy Grenemyer's Homepage Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on house wizards, their employment and the practical limits of their loyalty

Whoops! Sorry, Jeremy, I missed cutting and pasting one last little bit of Ed's replies to you.
Re. this: "during King Foril's reign, must all house wizards be war wizards?"

Ed's response is:

No, in theory house wizards are hired wholly independently of the Crown, by their patrons.

In practice, during Foril's reign, they are either Wizards of War or under the thumb of the War Wizards in some way or being spied upon attentively by the War Wizards. Caladnei and her successor Ganrahast are both far more rule-abiding than Vangerdahast when it comes to the rights of citizens (Vangey might privately say that non-Obarskyrs don't have any rights, just whatever privileges I allow them), but such things as wizards needing official Crown permission to work magic within the kingdom allows them to prevent Cormyreans hiring outlanders (unless the Crown allows them to; most don't even try). When you are thus at a stroke reduced to hiring Cormyrean wizards, it's nigh impossible to find someone of any accomplishment-in-Art (i.e. 5th level or higher) who isn't either playing ball with the War Wizards, or deep in their suspicion and being attentively watched (and the War Wizards PREFER to gently blackmail someone's good behavior, if they can "get the goods" to do so).

All of which means any house wizard must be considered a spy for the War Wizards, if not an active agent (most who aren't actually War Wizards themselves will refuse to "act for" the Wizards of War beyond passing on warnings, suggestions, and other messages, and reminding patrons of relevant laws, on the grounds that doing more than that for the Crown would be betraying the people who are paying them, which would also be lawbreaking and would also ruin their reputations for any employment elsewhere).

Hope all of this helps.

So saith Ed. "All of this" of course refers to all of his replies, not just this last bit I missed including earlier.
love,
THO

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 06 May 2012 00:01:28
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  00:20:00  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed and THO on Highknights of Cormyr during the reign of the Steel Regent

Cheers

Damian
Hi again, all.
Jeremy, Ed can give you a definitive answer, but off the top of my head, from my memories of discussing things at that time with Ed (when he was collaborating on DEATH OF THE DRAGON with Troy), there is no "official" top-ranking or senior Highknight, but there are very much, on a daily acting basis, "top, most-trusted veterans" among them. None of those you mention were of this sort (except to Queen Fee), because there was a generation of older, more experienced agents above them (or rather, a handful of the survivors of that generation), including one grizzled old man called "the Hawk" (not his real name, obviously), and a thin, wrinkled, homely old woman whose name I never learned, who was referred to as "the Seller of Cloaks."
Ed will, of course, elucidate in the fullness of time...
love,
THO

Hi again, all. Ed has fallen silent this past weekend because he had three "rush creative jobs" hit at once, AND had family visiting. However, on my own I discovered a tiny bit more for Jeremy Grenemyer, regarding senior Highknights: in addition to the two I already mentioned, there were at least two more "top level veterans." One was code-named "Blackblade" and was an accomplished killer for the Crown, and the other was a high-ranking noble secretly working for the Crown.
More when I can worm more out of Ed.
love to all,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2012 :  13:21:04  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on the settlement of Rallyhorn (from Rogue Stones and Gemjumping in Dragon 116)

Cheers

Damian

Hi, George! I am busier than busy right now, hence my delay in replying (for which I must apologize), but this is lore I really should have shared with the wider world LONG ago, so here we go . . .

RALLYHORN
This hamlet “just grew” around the base of Rallyhorn Castle, the ancestral castle of the old Cormyrean noble family of Rallyhorn. That fortress stands atop the tor known as Rallyhorn Ho, overlooking Hultail (“the Ho” is southeast of built-up Hultail). When Rallyhorn was renamed Hultail in 98 DR, as the first formal Cormyrean “naming laws” were drafted (as opposed to the earlier practice of altering names when royal displeasure was expressed), “Rallyhorn” became just the oldest neighborhood in Hultail (a handful of streets immediately around Rallyhorn Foregate, the steep street connecting the castle gates with the former grazing meadows below (now built up, covered with the buildings of Hultail).
Lord Theldrin Rallyhorn, the builder of Rallyhorn Castle, was Steward of the Court in Cormyr, a fabulously wealthy and able courtier whom the wizard Baerauble once described as “the right hand of the throne.” Lord Theldrin assisted the kings Daravvan, Dorglor, Embrold, and Irbruin. The Rallyhorns have never been quite as powerful since Lord Theldrin’s passing, but are very much still around—and respected—in the Forest Kingdom. Rallyhorn Castle remains their country seat, though most Rallyhorns are resident in Suzail, much of the time, and use the Castle only as a summer gathering-place and a waystop on hunting trips and other travel into the eastern reaches of the Realm.
The neighborhood of Rallyhorn was once the noisome site of two rival tanneries and their attendant sheds and workers’ huts, but as the Hullack Forest was pushed back leaving the tanneries farther and farther from the source of wild hides (being as livestock hides can be processed almost anywhere), the tanneries relocated eastwards up the Wyvernwater, leaving Rallyhorn to be what it is today: a poor neighborhood where weavers and garment-makers and dyers dwell and work, at the foot of the tor still crowned by Rallyhorn Castle.

love to all,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2012 :  20:04:18  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO with more on the Rallyhorns, Hultail and the founding of Cormyr

Cheers

Damian

Hi again, everybody.
I'm going to have a stab at answering Damian's followup questions myself. Here we go..
"Ed a couple of follow up questions if I may?
You mentioned that Rallyhorn was renamed as Hultail, may I ask why? Hultail sounds like a given name, so was it renamed to honour someone who had served the king loyally? (similar to how Dhedluk was renamed?) Or because the crown wanted to put a stop to nobles naming towns and cities after themselves?"

A bit of both, I think. I know Hultail was named after a family of fisherfolk and netmakers resident in the area who did "good service" to the Crown, and were rewarded. Presumably a land grand went with the name. Hultail was actually a separate settlement (coastal fishing hamlet on the Wyvernwater) that grew to meet Rallyhorn.

"You also mentioned formal 'naming laws'. So did the Crown at the time go through most/all/a few settlements and rename them so they became official rather than the 3 or 4 or more names that the locals called the hamlet/village/town that they live in adding to confusion for people who were not local?"

I know there will be more about these naming laws in a forthcoming Realms product, because Ed has told me there's a recent NDA here. He also selected "a few" from your choices, and corroborated the reason (cut down on confusion not just for visitors, but for other Cormyreans - - the problem being many, many name duplications for widely separated places; for instance, at one time Suzail, Marsember, and Arabel ALL had a neighborhood known as "King's Barracks").

"One final question about the Rallyhorns. Were they there with the Obarskyrs and Silver families when Cormyr came into being? The date is very early in human led Cormyr history or are the Rallyhorns an early example of the Kings of Cormyr saying,"Well done, be ennobled, and now go and build a keep on the borderlands of the Kingdom and keep the peace". I ask this because it is only 92 years since the ascension of Faerlthann First-King and it would seem that the site chosen by Theldrin is far from the capital?"

Yes, the Rallyhorns were there at the beginnings of human Cormyr.
The early nobles were certainly encouraged to settle, govern, and "improve" (roads, bridges, permanent farming population, founding local industries) frontier lands to extend and strengthen the kingdom, and the early kings (aided by Baerauble) "sold" it to any reluctant nobility as the chance to make themselves really rich by arranging everything in "their lands" in their own favor. As this was really, demonstrably true, it worked!

love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  11:55:29  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More from Ed on the Rallyhorns featured in the Rogue Stones and Gemjumping article from Dragon 116

Enjoy!

Damian

You're quite right that Rallyhorn as a community was long gone (except to locals in Hultail) by the time Glemmora was imprisoned. (Note how overblown the title of "King of Dulgund" was, too.)
Glemmora was "of" Rallyhorn because she and family not only lived in Rallyhorn Castle, as senior retainers (for generations) to the Rallyhorns AND as part of the Rallyhorn travelling household (retainers who travel with the families they serve are said to be "of" their families, thus: "of Rallyhorn." As for where the mainland portion of the Dungeons of Torment was: NDA. As for the sort of torment: mind reamings to find out all manner of secrets, that leave most prisoners insane. (Secrets learned are then used for all manner of crimes.) As for spankings, talk to THO . . .

Ahem. Spankings. Yes, hmmm lah dee dee dah...
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  13:11:00  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even more from Ed on Rallyhorns and the use of their name by their servants

Cheers

Damian

Glemmora and her fellow "servants of the household" haven't dropped their surnames, they just avoid using them when on their masters' business. It's an established way of transferring responsibility/consequences to the noble families they serve. In other words, Glemmora is saying: "Don't blame me, Glemmora Dornalhand - - blame Glemmora, the hand of Rallyhorn's will."
BTW, Glemmora's surname is "Dornalhand," but she has cousins in Suzail AND Daerlun who spell it "Dornalhond."
Hope this little elucidation is of help.

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Master of Realmslore

USA
1591 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  09:20:10  Show Profile  Visit Jeremy Grenemyer's Homepage Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormyr - Additional Information

I've created and am working on a wiki page on the Wizard's of the Coast website dedicated to the collection of miscellaneous information about Cormyr that can be found in novels that deal with Cormyr.

Here is a LINK to the wiki page.

Any feedback would be most welcome. I'm a novice at wiki coding/setting up of pages.

Thank you in advance.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Master of Realmslore

USA
1591 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  21:24:52  Show Profile  Visit Jeremy Grenemyer's Homepage Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quick sample of what I'm working on:

Fairs and Festivals in Cormyr

Suzail

The Festival of Handras
In late Mirtul, senior caravan traders and wagon masters from the Sword Coast are welcomed into Suzail for the Festival of Handras. Dockside warehouses are set aside for the festival, in which it is customary for these far traders to present “fresh wonders from the Sword Coast.” Free food and drink is served to anyone that comes to look upon and possibly purchase the latest goods, curious and exotic fashions. (BED, page 316)

The Open Feast
Held on the score-and-sixth night of Mirtul (the 26th day of that month), the Open Feast is a yearly event held at the Royal Palace of the Purple Dragon in Suzail, capital of Cormyr. As of 1479 DR, the Open Feast is held in the grand length of Dragontriumph Hall, on the third floor of the palace.

Out of ancient tradition no royalty attends the Feast, so nobles, rich merchants, courtiers, envoys from other lands and ambitious social climbers may speak freely, and do so. The din of conversation can be quite loud, as people talk, yell, shout, sing, do impersonations and make rude noises.

War Wizards are not excepted from the Feast and can be found in attendance.

Various types of wines are served from the royal cellars. It is not unknown for groups to expect that specific vintages be served to them. Courtiers can make arrogant, preening nobles happy by serving them better wine than to those "beneath" them in social status. (EMD, pages 63-72)

"BED" is Bury Elminster Deep and "EMD" indicates Elminster Must Die. Lots of good Cormyr info in those novels!

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 27 Jun 2012 21:26:07
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  09:51:27  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on what is under Alusair's bed

Cheers

Damian

Under Alusair’s bed, as a child, she kept a dainty little dagger, a carved wooden warhorse toy, and an old, rusty scrap of armor (a shoulder-plate scavenged from the Palace armories).
As a tween, she’d replaced that scrap with a full-sized knight’s gauntlet (just one), and added an old metal sword ground down to take off the rust until it had no sharp edges left. Way too heavy for her, but at night, when moonlight came through her window, she’d toss her bed-furs (or in summer, the heavy overcoverlet) on the floor to dull sounds, and try to swing the sword while wearing the gauntlet, imagining she was fighting foes of the realm. Over the years, she built up her wrists, forearms, and shoulders to be stronger than most males of her age.
By the time Alusair was a teenager, she had a proper, sharp longsword, a dagger, and as much real armor as she could scavenge (so, all mismatched and lacking the proper underpadding), and she would dress up in it (naked and barefoot under the armor, and so taking lots of minor cuts and weals from the armor itself, as she moved in it), and shadow-fight until exhausted. Which in turn made her stronger still, took out all her frustrations and aggressions, and earned her sleep no matter how upset she might have been. (Her late-night swordplay was discovered early on, but her mother Filfaeril forbade anyone to interrupt or try to stop her.)

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2012 :  08:56:51  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on the importance of house and home in Cormyr

Cheers

Damian

As the beggar Jorthyn famously told King Azoun IV of Cormyr: “I’ll fight for my best begging spot, Majesty,just as fiercely as you’ll defend yon Palace.”

Azoun and the people in wider Cormyr,when they heard what Jorthyn had said—agreed with his every word. Sage or shopkeeper, farmer or noble, your home is nigh everything.

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  17:19:27  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on knighting half-orcs

Cheers

Damian

Hi again, all.
This from Ed, to Cassie5squared, re. "Another question for Ed, this time on behalf of a friend; in the time of Azoun IV's reign, what would be the likelihood of a non-noble-born person being granted a knighthood and/or title? (The character is a half-orc born in Cormyr, with one human Cormyrean parent.) She mostly wants to know if it's at all plausible."
Ed replies:

Hi! The likelihood depends entirely on character performance, of course - - meaning: knighthoods are handed out to mark outstanding actions of benefit to the Crown, hoping for ongoing loyalty/service to the Crown. Titles mean either being settled with land or marrying into royalty or senior nobility, and in either case assuming what we would call an ongoing "job" for the realm. Being a half-orc makes it less likely to get a title, but performance and loyalty overrides all.

So saith Ed. Who is wildly busy right now . . .
love to all,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2014 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page