Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for all about Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  00:18:47  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might I suggest we sticky threads like this? Where all official info on a given region is all in one place for others to peruse instead of searching through dozens of threads on the same topic?

I believe "Coach" is another one gathering info like this all on the Bloodstone Lands, and his should be stickied with this as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  01:04:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Consider it done!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  10:29:04  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Consider it done!

What an honor to get this thread adhesive!

In order to live up to the expectations I refreshed most of the web-links in my initial post.
BTW, does anyone know where the old-edition-free-download-zip-files ended up?

Good gaming always, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 17 Jan 2013 10:29:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  11:09:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Lurue only knows. I'm not convinced that the files have been removed, since I can still download files from WotC that have been on their site since 2000 (like the original Roll of Years file), but the files are certainly not located at their old URLs.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  12:22:16  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These files are not indexed by Google anywhere within the Wizards.com domain (either not present or specifically de-listed through invisible ROBOTS.TXT imperatives), nor in any cached/archived Google indexes, nor in any of the other search engines I've tried. If indeed Wizards still hosts this material on a public-access server, it can only be found by directly addressing exact URLs.

I'm of the opinion that Wizbro deliberately removed this legacy material because it takes focus away from their current D&D editions and perhaps (given their young target audience) was expected to cause confusion. Times have changed a bit, but the website hasn't because "it ain't broke" so it's not worth paying to fix. I'm not really sure why they allowed D&D3E stuff to remain, but I suspect it's a way to unambiguously assert WotC IP territories on their never-expired old Open Gaming Licenses.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 17 Jan 2013 12:34:12
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  14:04:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Lurue only knows. I'm not convinced that the files have been removed, since I can still download files from WotC that have been on their site since 2000 (like the original Roll of Years file), but the files are certainly not located at their old URLs.

Agreed. I still think those files are simply in virtual limbo... until Wizards finally decides how best to proceed with the accessibility for the downloads.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  15:26:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

These files are not indexed by Google anywhere within the Wizards.com domain (either not present or specifically de-listed through invisible ROBOTS.TXT imperatives), nor in any cached/archived Google indexes, nor in any of the other search engines I've tried. If indeed Wizards still hosts this material on a public-access server, it can only be found by directly addressing exact URLs.

I'm of the opinion that Wizbro deliberately removed this legacy material because it takes focus away from their current D&D editions and perhaps (given their young target audience) was expected to cause confusion. Times have changed a bit, but the website hasn't because "it ain't broke" so it's not worth paying to fix. I'm not really sure why they allowed D&D3E stuff to remain, but I suspect it's a way to unambiguously assert WotC IP territories on their never-expired old Open Gaming Licenses.

Given WotC's pattern of shuffling around content without bothering to update any links, I'm not as convinced that this was an overt move by WotC. Any search of our past discussions will reveal a multitude of defunct links. And as I've said, there are files from 2000 that can still be accessed on the Wizards site, provided you know the URL, though there are no links anywhere to the content.

I'm always reluctant to assign negative intent when there are other explanations, and the way WotC's website has been handled over the years makes me think this is simply more of the poor management of web content that we've been seeing since long before the edition wars.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  15:48:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your opinion is as valid as mine. I'll admit to some cynicism about Wizbro's motivations, because they have done many good things but it is always hard to forgive their evils. I say it's a bit of greed, you say incompetence ... not good either way.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  16:31:49  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, this is awesome. Thank you for stickying this scroll.

Perhaps of interest to fans of Cormyr: there's a tiny (but growing) project on Loremaster.org to collect miscellaneous and somewhat hard to find information on Cormyr, that includes references to published information sources. It's called Cormyr: Facts and Factoids.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  14:04:20  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Wow, this is awesome. Thank you for stickying this scroll.

Perhaps of interest to fans of Cormyr: there's a tiny (but growing) project on Loremaster.org to collect miscellaneous and somewhat hard to find information on Cormyr, that includes references to published information sources. It's called Cormyr: Facts and Factoids.

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for this link. At first glance, there are even some new references there, I can add to the list. I'll add your link to the first post as well.

Good gaming, Ergdusch

P.S.: Thankls for your feedback to the old urls. I'll leave the wrong ones for now, until the correct urls are found.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 19 Jan 2013 14:07:28
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  16:55:46  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I added a DDi Eye on the Realms arcticle by Ed Greenwood: Thormil’s Secret (Dungeon #194)

as well as another DDi article by Dan Anderson: Backdrop: Xiousing (Dungeon #195) on a small Shou district on the northern edge of Marsember with a link to a map of that place, which you'll find in the 4th Ed. map section.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 20 Jan 2013 10:17:26
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  17:13:38  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a list by Jeremy Grenemyer/Sanishiver of named rooms in the Royal Palace, see here ( with references to 'Bury Elminster Deep' and 'Elminster must Die!"). Nicely done!

I hope you don't mind that I quote you here, Sanishiver.

quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver at Cormyr: Facts and Factiods:

Named Rooms in the Royal Palace:

Battlebanners Passage
Houses a seemingly endless succession of trophies. [[Greenwood, Ed (August 2011). Bury Elminster Deep. 139]]

The Chamber of Wyrms Ascending
A glossy floored, crossroads chamber dominated by a rearing stone statue of a dragon. The statue is rumored to be awash in magic of the sort that causes multicolored dragon shapes to fly out of it and up into the ceiling.
The chamber is linked to a nearby passage that runs under the palace cellars all the way to the Old Dwarf Tavern.
[[Greenwood, Ed (August 2010). Elminster Must Die. 98, 101]]

Dragonskull Chamber
Fronted by double doors with a life-sized dragon's skull, made of bronze. [[Greenwood, Ed (August 2010). Elminster Must Die. 93]]
A heavily warded spellcasting chamber. [[Greenwood, Ed (August 2010). Elminster Must Die. 80]]
The place where Caladnei died, after succumbing to Spellplague infection. [[Greenwood, Ed (August 2010). Elminster Must Die. 80]]

Dragontriumph Hall
Located roughly three floors up in the Royal Palace, along the south wall. Double doors open into it, those doors flanked by gilded statues. [[Greenwood, Ed (August 2010). Elminster Must Die. 63]]

Hall of Justice
[[Greenwood, Ed (August 2011). Bury Elminster Deep. 29]]

Hall of Victories
Contains an exit out of the Royal Palace. [[Greenwood, Ed (August 2011). Bury Elminster Deep. 149]]

The Long Passage
[[Greenwood, Ed (August 2011). Bury Elminster Deep. 140]]

Loyal Maids Hall
Two duty Dragons (two Purple Dragon soldiers) are stationed here at all times. [[Greenwood, Ed (August 2011). Bury Elminster Deep. 140]]

Mages’ Duty Chamber
One of possibly several such rooms to be found in the Royal Palace. Such rooms have wall rings to which captives can be secured. [[Greenwood, Ed (August 2011). Bury Elminster Deep. 140]]

Queen Alvandira’s Bower
[[Greenwood, Ed (August 2011). Bury Elminster Deep. 37]]

The Room of the Red Banner
[[Greenwood, Ed (August 2011). Bury Elminster Deep. 96]]

The Room of the Fire Wyrm
A chamber of state. It's most prominent feature a hanging statue of a wyrm, bedecked with hanging lamps.
Located at the far end of a wing of the Royal Palace.
Rarely used. Far away from the other chambers of state.
By the Year of the Ageless One the war wizards have had possession of this room's keys for forty years.
Decorated with a bed and draperies of matching crimson color.
Often used for trysts, though not all may know the portrait of King Duar and his Queen fronts a secret passage by which one may view the activities in the room through the eyes of the two royals.
[[Greenwood, Ed (August 2011). Bury Elminster Deep. 358]]

The Room of the Watchful Sentinel
The Dalestride Gate (a portal that leads to the Dalelands) is located here.
[[Greenwood, Ed (August 2011). Bury Elminster Deep. 326]]

Sunstatues Chamber
[[Greenwood, Ed (August 2010). Elminster Must Die. 317]]

Starandar's Hall
Fourteen individuals may be found in this Hall, as it connects to the Room of the Watchful Sentinel (and the portal therein): two Highknights, eight veteran Purple Dragons and four Wizards of War.
[[Greenwood, Ed (August 2011). Bury Elminster Deep. 11,35]]

The Warhorn Room
Said to hold the Royal Gorget of Battle.
[[Greenwood, Ed (August 2011). Bury Elminster Deep. 11,35]]

Edited by - Ergdusch on 01 Mar 2013 09:51:34
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  18:18:31  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's pretty cool, Ergdusch. Thanks man.

I'll try to give you a heads up if/when I'm able to make significant additions to the list of rooms in the Royal Palace.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  20:06:08  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on scribes of the Royal Palace

Cheers

Damian

Hi, Jeremy. You’re very welcome!
Both Blaunel and Lathlan are indeed scribes employed at the Royal Palace in Suzail. Further, they are “royal” scribes, in that they have signed a pledge to work lifelong for the Crown (so Markustay is right: because of the secrets they are privy to, they can never really “retire” and take employment elsewhere in Cormyr, though they can of course covertly depart the realm and start new lives elsewhere - - please note that if a scribe does this, Highknights will seek him or her, spy on them, and relieve them of any records they took with them; they may even kill them if they start to work with traitors to the Crown against Cormyr, for example aiding for pay an exiled noble family in treasonous activities). This is a two-way street: the “not retiring” means they have good food, good clothes, and comfortable shelter all their days, being relocated to what is in truth a nursing home (though it’s actually called Thornthar, on the north/east bank of the Starwater, due south of Gray Oaks; a sprawling, many-winged mansion owned by the Crown) when they can no longer perform their paid duties; they stop getting paid, but become full wards of the Crown (and can keep or spend any wealth they already have ).
In the service of the Crown, in Cormyr, there are underscribes, employed temporarily or on probation and not given sensitive work to do, and above them are the “lifers,” the pledged “Royal Scribes.”
When Blaunel and Lathlan called each other “Royal Scribe,” they were being jokingly formal, about the equivalent in tone of a real world citizen respectfully saying, “Mister Policeman, Sir” to a policeman. It’s the formal way of verbally addressing a full royal scribe, and would be used by a citizen, visitor, or envoy of another realm when dealing with a scribe at the Palace. However, both Blaunel and Lathlan have formal titles: their current position, and an honorific denoting their rank, which is “Scribe Royal.” If a herald was announcing them or a document mentions them, they will be described as “Scribe Royal.” They would sign documents with their signature, underneath it their name, underneath that their position, and underneath THAT, “Scribe Royal.”
Blaunel’s current position is “Undermaster of the Rolls.” This means he works on maintaining the “rolls” (official lists) of either citizens (their locations/addresses, properties they own, jobs they have and affiliations (such as guild memberships or pledges to the Crown, including notations of past or current military service or Crown employment), plus notes on which other citizens they’re related to, and how - - or the tax payments of citizens. Blaunel is the former; the OTHER (tax) “Undermaster of the Rolls” at this time is a woman hight Amaundra Duthwood, a fat, homely, sharp-tongued (to capture her manner, think of the attorney Caroline Julian [played by Patricia Belcher] on the TV series BONES) and VERY capable administrator who always remembers when and where she’s seen a name or face before, and who’s usually colloquially called “Undercoin” around the Palace to avoid confusing her with Blaunel (because she’s “Undermaster of the (Coin) Rolls,” the inertia of etiquette leaving her title “Undermaster” regardless of the gender of whoever’s currently filling the position).
An “undermaster” is simply the second-in-command in charge of maintaining the rolls in question, under a “Master of the Rolls” (both Blaunel and Amaundra have direct bosses, whom they understudy for two reasons: the Palace works around the clock, so when the Master is at home and asleep, the Undermaster is on duty; and if anything happens to the Master, the Undermaster takes over as the acting Master, usually until confirmed in the position formally as the new Master).
Lathlan’s current position is “Privy Amaneunsis To The Queen.” This means he is the personal letter-writer, decree- and document-preparer, and correspondence facilitator/archivist to Queen Filfaeril. Some of his predecessors in such roles have been the close confidants, message-runners, panderers, and even lovers of the royals they serve, but Queen Fee has ladies-in-waiting and a royal husband (and, secretly, particular Harpers) who are her confidants; she’s friendly with Lathlan and he gets to know a LOT more about her than, say, a Palace guard - - but they’re not intimate in any sense.
Neither Blaunel nor Lathlan ever ascended to Royal Overscribe (“Royal High Scribe” would be a verbal equivalent, like “Royal Scribe,” above). For much of their careers, that was held by Dlara Highshield, rumored (correctly) to be a bastard child of Rhigaerd II (the father of Azoun IV), a quiet, polite, self-controlled and exactingly correct and diligent woman devoted to the Obarskyrs.
And yes, nobles constantly try to entice away all sorts of capable Court officials to their own service. For years, the “big dodge” has been to install such individuals in rich apartments in Sembia (formerly in Westgate, too, but the popularity of that city has declined steadily as life there became more perilous, and Cormyr’s attitude to it has hardened), within reach but outside the Forest Kingdom - - but over the years, the truly capable have become harder and harder to entice, because nobles are notoriously fickle in their attitudes, whereas a good Palace job is seen as a sinecure.
And I seem to have answered Markustay’s latest question here, as well. :} Ah, my dread work here is (temporarily) done.

So saith Ed. Creator of Blaunel, Lathlan, the Royal Palace, Queen Filfaeril, and oh, yes, Cormyr.
love to all,
THO

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  20:27:56  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on a map seller from Suzail from the home Realms game

Cheers

Damian

Mapseller in Suzail, small cluttered belowstairs (down from street level) shop just south of the Promenade: Lareskar Anamonder. Amiable old guy with huge muttonchop side-whiskers, monocle on ribbon, cluttered shop with maps hanging from clips like tapestries, big table piled with flat maps heaped one atop the other. Has some sort of guardian that we couldn't see, but that slithered. Palace scribes know him and deal with him.
Saw a partial map of the riverbank part of Skullport, but Anamonder warned it was "very old and out of date."

There. A snippet of Edlore, filtered through me.
love,
THO

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2013 :  16:25:54  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on the retirement home for the Royal Scribes and a hint of what might be found there......

Cheers

Damian

And yes, the retirement home is a very interesting place. Here are Ed's notes re.why:

Some of the inhabitants are wandering in their wits and can be quite talkative but not all they say can be trusted, others know Secrets that could shake the realm, more than a few pay younger relatives very well to keep them supplied with news and to handle investments for them (all over the realm, and beyond), and the cellars of the house, which store large amounts of food (including pickled preserves) and medicines, are rumored to also store something else (the tales vary, but the truth is: a large armoury, ever since the war with the dragon in which Azoun IV perished).

So saith Ed. Priming the pump of adventure everywhere...
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2013 :  16:28:36  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even more from Ed on Scribes Royal, Royal Scribes, Over Scribes or whatever other fancy names they like to create for themselves....

Enjoy

Damian

The Eye article is about the (century-some later) Realms of "today," when Blaunel, Lathlan, and Dlara are all long dead.
By Aldegrand's time [he's the third successor of Dlara, who BTW had children, one more example of all the illegitimate royal-blood folk running around Cormyr that recorded history tends to overlook), the title of the office has changed from "Royal Overscribe" to "Royal High Scribe."
Aldegrand would sign formal documents "Aldegrand Tallfyre/Royal High Scribe of Cormyr" and informal Palace "dailyscrip" (memos) simply as "Tallfyre."
Except as passing references in my novels (and some of my past articles on the Wizards website), published Realmslore seldom delves into the endless nuances and complications of how the Royal Palace operates daily, and the constant intrigues woven through that life. I have run mini-campaigns for middle-aged women (and a few of their young daughters), who wanted nothing at all to do with killing monsters, stealing, seizing treasure, running afoul of traps, or open brawling of any sort, that were set in the Royal Palace and centered on the veiled threats, inferences, accusations, and deceptions of the endless jockeying for power among the courtiers. They loved it, because they'd seen so many television historical dramas about Henry VIII and his court and succession of wives that they felt at home - - and because that sort of warfare can be just as gripping as the sword and the spell, if done right.

So saith Ed. The "tall Tyrion" of the Realms, when he feels like it.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  19:03:23  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the Scribe lore keep coming

Cheers

Damian

Hi. Aldegrand and Dlara have ALMOST the same job. The only difference was that by Dlara's time, a new role, Keeper of the Royal Purse, has been created to take care of paying Crown officials and the military, and the Keeper signed the "Crown writs" (employment contracts) for each individual on the payroll - - whereas in Aldegrand's time, he had to sign them all.

So saith Ed. Another tidbit of useful Realmslore for us all.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2013 :  02:46:39  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed and THO on family names of Nobles

Cheers

Damian

all.
Damian, this is by no means a proper answer, but I can tell you from play that commoner names do make it into noble families (and that some noble mothers love to create new names by mashing together other names they've heard, that catch their fancy), but that most Cormyrean noble babies are loaded down with lots of family names evoking revered or dear recently departed ancestors.

Ed just provided me with an example to share with you until he can craft a longer reply:

Fendarl and Daerthra Illance (Fendarl is a cousin of the current heir, and his wife Daerthra a Huntinglance by birth) recently had a son, usually known formally as Darvyn, and within the family as "Dar."
His full, formal name is Andemarl Daryn Trevilar Hothon Baerilym Dathmur Illance.
Andemarl is his paternal grandfather's name, Daryn was a "new" name for the family when it was borne by Dar's paternal great-great-great grandfather, Trevilar is the name of Dar's maternal father, Hothon an old and oft-used Huntinglance name, Baerilym the name of a long-ago "war hero" Illance remembered for his distinguished battlefield service, and Dathmur is a common name in Cormyr (and so, much used by lower and middle class citizens) that's new to the Illances, so far as their written records go back.

I would say the lorryload of given names Dar received is fairly typical of noble-born sons or daughters. Who of course never habitually use more than two of them: the one they prefer, and the one the family uses for them. Disapproving elder aunts, El told me years back, often find out what name a person most hates and use it when "talking down" to the kin they wish to cow, embarrass, lecture, or denounce.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  22:10:23  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on Snow in Cormyr and how other places deal with it

Enjoy

Damian
Snowbound folk in the Realms mostly just sit such severe weather out, in as secure shelter as they can find (remember, packs of wolves and other predators will get hungry in such conditions, and venture out as soon as they can). That's what all the drying, preserving, cutting firewood, et al is for. Folk in Cormyr and other heavy-snow regions have snowshoes (mainly of the "bearpaw" style that lack long "tails" that can get caught in rocks and treetrunks) and sledges (for towing loads atop/"over" snow).
Silverymoon has wards that keep the temperature comfortably high (avoiding ice but creating fog), and that can be "set" to repel falling snow like a giant dome - - so most of it will end up in/on the river, and be carried away. Usually a light snowfall is "allowed in" to wash down the streets, water plants, etc., but once more than an inch or two has fallen, the warming (and wind-slowing) wards are "tightened" by one of the mages serving the city to shed anything more falling from the sky.
Suzail has no such protections, but the War Wizards do use spells to clear major streets by literally blowing deep-piled snow out into the harbor, and frequently temporarily raise temperature to melt treacherous ice underfoot (though used rushes, "out" cinders, and the like are used as traction aids). Note that many cities, Suzail included, are ports that enjoy the moderating effects of the large bodies of water they are adjacent to. One of the reasons that Waterdeep developed into such a populous city is the seaward protection of Mount Waterdeep, that shields much of the oldest part of the city from gales blowing onshore. "Ice rime" forms on seaward faces of many Waterdhavian buildings in the winter, but the Watchful Order magists magically melt dangerous roofloads (that might plummet down on the heads of pedestrians below).
However, most Faerunians just hunker down and wait.
Please bear in mind that most inhabited areas of the Realms where snow is a prevalent problem retain far more trees and bushes than most heavily-populated real-world areas; they trap and steer drifts and falling snow, and enable locals who know the terrain to move about in limited ways. Severe weather doesn't hamper your commute - - it usually prohibits EVERYONE'S commute, is expected to, and so has no negative social/employment implications.

So saith Ed. Who tries to "be there" for the Realms and those who love it, regardless of the weather.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  17:19:58  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on what happens to Obarskyr remains and what the Vast Swamp is used for

Cheers

Damian

Hi again, all.
Damian, you're on to something.
These questions happen to be about things Ed and I have discussed in the past, so although I can't give anything like a definitive or comprehensive answer, I can say the Wizards of War, from Vangerdahast's rise to power onwards, are formally charged with recovering (every last bit of) every royal corpse (and known royal bastards) - - and that Vangey's predecessors made sure that royal remains were brought to the royal crypt whenever possible, so although there are indeed both lost Obarskyr graves and legends of such (the legends outstripping the reality), they are few - - and none of those remaining will be easily found.
And yes, the Vast Swamp received many remains, although the combined efforts of its denizens usually devour the dead utterly (yes, including bones), so it isn't a large stew of nascent undead and candidates for resurrection.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  09:00:04  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on what the servants get to eat after the nobles have finished

Cheers

Damian

dravenloft, Ed has answered many, many food questions down the years (even to giving recipes), and the short answer to your question is: nobles have the money to eat meat and exotic (that is, from afar) food more often than commoners, but all in all, everyone eats everything. Yes, nobles put on a show when they have guests, but otherwise eat their favorite foods if they can get them (and they usually can, being the owners of lands that may have tenant farmers or are suitable for hunting.
Here's Ed from 1987, on the difference between what's on a Cormyrean nobleman's platter on a typical no-guests/no-big-feast night, versus what his own servants are eating:

The lord will have three sorts of wines with the various "removes" (courses) of his meal, and will begin with soup (turtle or chicken broth with dumplings) and savoury tarts, probably fish or chicken livers cooked with wine and spices, then move on to game birds or roast boar or venison (marinaded overnight, and then stuffed with a strong savoury stuffing of mushrooms, herbs, spices, and a contrasting-in-flavour meat [goose, perhaps]), and then end with a fantastic fruits-cooked-in-sugar-syrup open-topped pie, or small pastries making heavy use of cherries and citrus peel.
His servants will have the same soup, augmented with more dumplings and leftover gravies and table vegetables from the night before, to make a thicker stew, then a "brandinage" (= loose mess on the plate) of all the ingredients that went into the stuffed roast or game birds, and then biscuits. Dessert, if any, will be biscuits drenched in honey or smeared with the "bowl leftovers" of the fruits and peels mix of the pie.

Of course, commoners working in city streets, shops, and workshops will have more "hand pies," pastries, and sausages (portable foods), and undoubtedly Waterdhavian nobles and commoners will have more seafood (eel pies for commoners and buttered snails for nobles are common Waterdhavian dishes, I know), but I'll have to nudge Ed for the Waterdhavian equivalent of the "typical wuiet night at home" noble meal vs. the meal for the servants, for you.
Mmmm, I've just eaten and I'm getting hungry all over again . . .
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2013 :  09:04:51  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on what happens to dishonest Heralds and a new noble family to play with!

Cheers

Damian

Aaaand I'm back, or rather Ed is, with a response to this, from Damian: "As an aside, Ed can you spill the beans on any rogue heralds in Cormyr's recent history that didn't keep things legal (circa 1200 - 1400DR) and what if anything might have happened to them?"
Ed replies:

Heralds who make too many mistakes, or who engage in "dishonesty of office" (such as twisting blazons or who can use them in return for covert payments) get dismissed and imprisoned for a year or two or even three (so they can't sew discord or confusion while their replacement settles into the office they formerly held). The High Heralds see to this, in cooperation with various rulers (and no, there is VERY rarely dishonesty among the High Heralds, though there are respectful disputes). Local heralds (and especially the ruler-appointed "court heralds") are the sources of such backsliding. Local heralds dismissed in disgrace during the time period you mention were almost all in Sembia, and took bribes to style various wealthy Sembian non-nobles as full nobility WITH FAKED CONNECTIONS TO real, established nobility from elsewhere in the Realms. The heralds holding the offices of Bronzetree, Gelgorget, Hardragonet, and Elmaer were all removed and replaced.

In Cormyr, Lord Helstallion was exiled and lost his title (though the rest of his family were unaffected) because he imprisoned a local herald for a short period so he could forge grants of arms and letters purporting to be from that herald, so assassins he'd hired could be passed off as visiting nobility from the Shining South, and so gain access to a rival noble he wanted slain (the scheme was seen through by War Wizards before any killing could be attempted; Helstallion's punishment was purely for impersonating a herald).

So saith Ed. Who once contemplated trying to become a herald in real life.
love,
THO

ps more from Ed

Damian, the heraldic offices weren't retired; when Ed said "replaced," he meant that new individuals from the ranks of the pursuivants (novice heralds, in training) were elevated into those posts, so the same names of those heraldic offices persist.
(And yes, there'll be more on the Helstallions, somewhere and sometime. Soon, if Ed can manage it, but no promises.)

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 21 Feb 2013 21:14:38
Go to Top of Page

Thente Thunderspells
Seeker

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  23:40:35  Show Profile Send Thente Thunderspells a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love this scroll! I'm currently running my first game and it is (of course) set in Cormyr. This scroll has been invaluable for me!

I just wanted to add... in addition to the Blades of State article in DDi# 407, there is also "Crowns and Mantles: The Ranks and Titles of Cormyr" by Brian Cortijo

Keep it up sages!

EDIT: wow, I just realized that I have had an account here for 10 years and I only have 61 posts... sad!

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
- Shakespeare

Edited by - Thente Thunderspells on 28 Feb 2013 23:51:59
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  09:32:22  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the hint, Thente Thunderspell. Because of scribes like you we ar e able to keep this list updated. Thanks.

I added a DDi arcticle by Brian Cortijo: Crowns and Mantles - The Ranks and Titles of Cormyr (Dragon #407)

as well as another DDi article from the same Dragon issue by Dan Anderson: Character Themes: Heroes of Cormyr (Dragon #407)

Edited by - Ergdusch on 01 Mar 2013 09:40:53
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  09:46:06  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a list by Jeremy Grenemyer/Sanishiver of Ballads, Books, Chapbooks, Plays and Poems, see here (again with references to 'Elminster must Die!").

quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver at Cormyr: Facts and Factiods:

See the listed sources for snippets of text or verse.

Citations indicate one page (usually a page found in a novel where a new chapter starts) from a source where an item may be found. However, a source may make use of an item more than once.

Those wishing to piece together portions of ballads or poems are encouraged to review a source in its entirety.

Title
Author/Composer
Year Published or First Performed
Type
Published Format
Notes
Source

Another Bold Night in Brave Cormyr
Andrur Hallowstake, Bard of Wheloon
Year of the Halls Unhaunted
Ballad
[[Greenwood, Ed (August 2010). Elminster Must Die. 22]]

Defending the Dragon Throne
anonymous
Year of the Scroll
play
[[Greenwood, Ed (August 2010). Elminster Must Die. 93]]

The Galloping Knight of Cormyr
anonymous
Year of the Halls Unhaunted
Play
chapbook published
[[Greenwood, Ed (August 2010). Elminster Must Die. 153]]

Old Lord Raturburry
Lalanth Tarntapple, Bard Wayward of Suzail
Year of the Forged Sigil
Ballad
[[Greenwood, Ed (August 2010). Elminster Must Die. 183]]

Our Wizards of War
composer unknown
year composed unknown
Ballad
First heard in Suzail, circa the Year of the Turret.
[[Greenwood, Ed (August 2010). Elminster Must Die. 173]]

Twenty Summers a Dragon: One Soldier's Tale
Markuld Amryntur
Year of Splendors Burning
Autobiography
Book
[[Greenwood, Ed (August 2010). Elminster Must Die. 9]]

Edited by - Ergdusch on 01 Mar 2013 09:48:39
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2013 :  16:52:10  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on a hidden dwarf stronghold in the Storm Horns (near Eveningstar?) and barges on the Starwater

Cheers

Damian

Heh. I believe there IS a small and well-hidden dwarf hold in the Stormhorns, and as they want to remain hidden, they travel underground to emerge on the surface near the Bridge of Fallen Men, and journey openly overland on the trade-roads from there, so as to pose as dwarves who've come from elsewhere via surface routes.
As for barging...Ed will of course furnish a proper answer, but as a longtime player in a campaign with Ed as the DM, yes, barges do travel upriver as far north as the east-west traderoad bridge across the river in Eveningstar...but they have to be very SMALL barges because the channel is both shallow and narrow/sharp-bending in places (moved more with poles than with oars, the King's Forest making towing with draft beasts nigh-impossible until much farther south). Ed described such barges in play.
We'll have to await his reply for more...
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2013 :  19:56:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. No, Damian, well to the west of Eveningstar. In the West Reach, about midway along Cormyr's north-south stretch...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  20:00:06  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fellow scribes,

ask me not why I have missed this so far... There is a Forgotten Realms Conversion (pdf-download) of the adventure 'Thunderspire Labyrinth' (adventure module H2) that is linked to Cormyr and has some nice sidetrek-adventure ideas for any campaign in the Forest Kingdom. I added it to the ever-growing list in my first post.

Good gaming, Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2013 :  19:01:22  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on the West Reach and 'chain gang' punishment/work

Cheers

Damian
In Cormyr, the equivalent of "off to the salt mines!" is: "sent to do roadwork in the Stonelands."
That's the common saying and belief, that is, but it isn't true. What actually happens is chain-gang roadwork in the West Reach (that is, along the road west of High Horn, that eventually finds its way down to the bridge at Fallen Men). There are constant small rockslides and erosion damage, and an ongoing tree planting and grass planting program, to try to anchor tje thin soils and build them up. There's also a slow effort to make timber trestles and bridges smaller, by making more use of rock fill and culverts, so arsonists from an invading force can't so easily "cut" the road in so many places.
There are also some slate quarries along this road, that prisoners and debtors are occasionally put to work in.

This lore comes from Ed, of course, through play and my pesky questions to him, down the years.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page