Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for all about Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  15:37:54  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not much to addto the ongoing discussion and please don't mind me interfering here.

I just wanted to thank Zireael for her comment:
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

The link to "A Moment with Alusair" (pg. 3 of this scroll) doesn't work.

It seems WotC has removed that article from their sites. Has anyone saved it somewhere so we can make it available again for interested scribes?

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2011 :  16:20:24  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've always assumed that all the -hast mages were related, even if only distantly.
Seems like a reasonable assumption, Wooly. I'm not saying that they're not--or that they are. What I'm saying is that things aren't always as clear-cut as we would like them to be. And that's good; without ambiguity, without corners to explore, without growth and change, the Realms are a stale and boring place.
quote:
About Caladnei - it's stated explicitly in FRCS 3e that she's not a descendant of Baerauble's.
All due respect, it doesn't say that at all. At least, not in my copies. What it says that she was born to a Turmian mother and a Cormyrean father, and that Vangey chose her as his successor.

That's not to say that she is or isn't his descendant. What it does say is that sometimes, the story is left untold for a reason. And sometimes, it's just untold. There are tons of relationships in the Realms that are not laid out explicitly, but are there, if you look closely enough and remember the details.

quote:
The -hast suffix was about honoring their grand-grand... mother, Alea Dahast. End of story.
This is the Realms, Zirael. The story doesn't end. That's the whole beauty of things...

Edited by - Garen Thal on 25 Jan 2011 16:24:10
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2011 :  00:07:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've always assumed that all the -hast mages were related, even if only distantly.
Seems like a reasonable assumption, Wooly. I'm not saying that they're not--or that they are. What I'm saying is that things aren't always as clear-cut as we would like them to be. And that's good; without ambiguity, without corners to explore, without growth and change, the Realms are a stale and boring place.
I'm inclined to agree. I'd feel kinda let down if it was simply a matter of the -hast folk being all related. I love the ambiguity with stuff like this, because it allows me to more completely forge my own reasons for why this may be so.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2011 :  00:12:47  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on other 'Lords Who Sleep'

Cheers

Damian

Q: "The process that kept the Lords Who Sleep in stasis…was that the only place like that created by Cormyr in the past?"

A: No.

Q: "Is it possible there are ones and twos of Cormyrean heroes (or villains or unfortunate nobodies) not yet written about in sourcebooks or novels who’ve been put in stasis, as part of that particular process or as part of past experiment(s) aimed at perfecting the stasis effect?"

A: Yes.

There you go. I'm a veritable font of information.
All scribes, there'll be more lore as soon as Ed can send it,
love,
THO

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  09:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did Queen Filfaeril have her levels given anywhere in AD&D or in 3e?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  18:54:04  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Did Queen Filfaeril have her levels given anywhere in AD&D or in 3e?

Her level and alignment appear in Dragon Annual #4 (2E), and #5 (3E). She was a NG human fighter 3 in both, although I'm fairly sure the 3E stats were put in by editors after the fact, and personally, I'd lean toward aristocrat levels for her. Those are the published (and, therefore, official) stats for her.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  20:13:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I am POSITIVE Ed would have issue with those stats.

She was statted in such a way as to what we 'know' about her, and I have a feeling our own info is dreadfully inadequate (like those stats).

Unfortunately, to stat her correctly would give too much away (which is why Ed avoided given 'hard stats' to many of his NPCs).

Just my feelings on the matter, so take it with a grain of salt.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  20:23:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New DDI article by Ed is up! Queen Filfaeril's Blades.

The newest Eye on the Realms...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 15 Feb 2011 04:48:59
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  22:28:45  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully WoTC will fix the spelling in the heading...

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

New DDI article by Ed is up! Queen Flfaeril's Blades.

The newest Eye on the Realms...

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  10:08:45  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is it Insider-only??? I want to see it soo much!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  19:48:01  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here I let my subscription drop. Going to have to renew it for the Blades article methinks!

I wonder if my NPC Tashlara Shimmerstar should be a member of the Blades? Going to have to read the article first, then decide.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  23:53:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why is it Insider-only??? I want to see it soo much!

Because it's part of Ed's previous DDI "Eye on the Realms" articles series.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2011 :  23:54:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

And here I let my subscription drop. Going to have to renew it for the Blades article methinks!
It's certainly worth the renewing of subscription.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  18:38:28  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George Krashos on the Immerdusk family

Cheers

Damian

Hi Damian

The Immerdusks weren't ennobled until Storm Silverhand was made marchioness by King Baerovus (as detailed in the novel "Stormlight", pgs.115-116). Before then they were a well-to-do family, known for their ability to produce astounding numbers of smart, tough and big fighting men who almost always took service with the Purple Dragons (and before there were Purple Dragons - created in the time of Duar as I recall - service with the king's host or serving as bodyguards for the Silver familes and a few individual Obarskyrs) and fought (and died) for the realm in significant numbers over many centuries.

A few of them rose to high station with the Purple Dragons, the most famous of whom were Norlar Immerdusk who was Battlemaster in the time of Azoun II and the first to scale the walls of rebel Arabel in the final assault on that city when it was brought to heel (again) in 1050 DR; Daraghard Immerdusk who achieved the station of Lord High Marshal despite his commoner ancestry in the reign of Bryntarth II (and was ennobled in doing so although the title was his alone and died with him - the Immerdusks as a family were not ennobled at the time); and Jarth Immerdusk who was given the unique (and never used since) Purple Dragon rank of Kingsblade (higher than Oversword but lower than Battlemaster) by Galaghard III for his bravery in the battles with the Witchlords.

Hope this has been helpful.

-- George Krashos

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  18:46:49  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More on the Immerdusks from THO

Cheers

Damian

"Immerdusk Family: Is Storm the only member of this noble house? Am wondering if her son Casplar had any issue?"

No, she's not. Yes, I THINK he did. Over to Ed.

"I am also trying to work out if Storm inherited the family name after it died out previously? Krash mentions two Immerdusk sons (the twins Arbruin and Erbruin ) in his Sleeping Sword piece located here circa 291DR or so, a few centuries before Storm became Marchioness Immerdusk?"

The Immerdusks have never been numerous or very high-profile. I THINK Storm either married into the title (in a union obviously not previously recorded in published Realmslore; I vaguely remember something Ed saying about her once wedding a dying widower so as to become the legal mother/guardian of his infant offspring, and Lord Immerdusk MIGHT be the guy) . . . or she was named to a family by elderly and infirm family members to prevent their name going extinct and their lands and holdings reverting to the Crown, to make her a thorn in the side of the reigning Obarskyr of the day (because I remember Ed mentioning something like this happening in the past, before the lifetimes of any of our Knights characters - - though what I'm remembering might not be Cormyr at all).
I'm not sure if Ed has ever discussed these tidbits with George Krashos, Eric Boyd, or Brian Cortijo; he tends to keep Storm-lore "quiet" so as to have a (more) free hand as to when and how to spring revelations on Realms scribes (usually in his novels).

There you go. The offering from me, using my notes and recollections. The proper replies to come, from Ed, time permitting.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  18:52:18  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on the naming of Arabel

Cheers

Damian
Almost a month back, Kajehase posted: “All this talk of Arabel made me remember something: Is Ed aware that "Arabel" was the codename given by the WW2-era German military intelligence service Abwehr to what they thought was one of their best agents (turns out he was actually one of the Brits' best agents), one Juan Pujol Garcia?”

I’ve talked to Ed about this, and . . .
Yes, Ed was aware of that. As were several of his players, which made it a subtle signal to us that Arabel might not be all that loyal to the Crown, though they might well pretend to be. Which in turn makes Arabel a great adventure setting, because there’s local lawkeeping . . . and then there’s the gray areas between keeping the loyal-to-the-Crown Purple Dragons (the on-the-streets lawkeepers) happy, and keeping the most powerful and influential long-established families of Arabel happy, and keeping the average labourer and shopkeeper happy. (Room for self-controlled adventurers to flourish in.)
Yet Ed used “Arabel” primarily because he thought it was a great-sounding name for a medieval-era fantasy city.
So there you have it.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2011 :  21:14:31  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I found the origins of Suzail’s naming to be fascinating. I was wondering if any of the other cities have naming conventions as well? I understand the "-dale" suffix easily enough, even if the Dales aren't a part of Cormyr, but I was wondering if there was a convention about which others are aware and I am not?

Cheers,

Lord of All Spells

quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Ed on the naming of Arabel

Cheers

Damian
Almost a month back, Kajehase posted: “All this talk of Arabel made me remember something: Is Ed aware that "Arabel" was the codename given by the WW2-era German military intelligence service Abwehr to what they thought was one of their best agents (turns out he was actually one of the Brits' best agents), one Juan Pujol Garcia?”

I’ve talked to Ed about this, and . . .
Yes, Ed was aware of that. As were several of his players, which made it a subtle signal to us that Arabel might not be all that loyal to the Crown, though they might well pretend to be. Which in turn makes Arabel a great adventure setting, because there’s local lawkeeping . . . and then there’s the gray areas between keeping the loyal-to-the-Crown Purple Dragons (the on-the-streets lawkeepers) happy, and keeping the most powerful and influential long-established families of Arabel happy, and keeping the average labourer and shopkeeper happy. (Room for self-controlled adventurers to flourish in.)
Yet Ed used “Arabel” primarily because he thought it was a great-sounding name for a medieval-era fantasy city.
So there you have it.
love,
THO

Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2011 :  10:52:57  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on woodland lodges in Cormyr

Cheers

Damian

However, I can recall many descriptions of various lodges in the King's Forest, from years of Realmsplay. Most are akin to American "log cabins" but with stone fireplace/chimney "end walls" and flagstone floors (remember, we're talking royalty and nobility as builder/owners, here). They have shake roofs, VERY steeply pitched to shed snowloads, with the interiors of the peaks left "open" as attics crisscrossed with beams (like modern roof trusses, but of course "tall" rather than squatty, and jointed with dovetails and "socket" joints, rather than weird little pierced metal sheet fasteners), the beams being used to hang bedding and carpeting (which are made with heavy-duty knitted loops for hanging hooks at both ends) when the lodges aren't in use.
When servants arrive at a lodge, their first duty is to build and light fires (in ovens only, in summer; most lodges have outside ovens as well as inside ones; the outside ones get used almost exclusively in summer, to keep the lodges cool). Their second is to get soup and other hot drinkables going, and heat bread on metal sheets close to the ovens . . . and their third is to fetch down the hanging bedding and carpets, and put them where they're supposed to be.
That's all I can find from my notes, quickly. I do recall rainwater cisterns on the roofs of some lodges, screened and peak-roofed to keep birds from nesting and critters out, and an assassin who once poisoned most of a nobles' retinue by tainting the cistern-water (it got used in laundry and in washing the kitchen pots and dining-platters, and got to them that way, rather than directly through the food and drink).

So saith Ed, filtered through me. More from him directly in the fullness of time, of course.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  09:39:52  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on the Swords of Eveningstar from Ed's home game

Cheers

Damian
In Ed's "home" Realms campaign, the Swords spent months exploring the Haunted Halls. dealing with Maglor and other undercover agents in Eveningstar, living and interacting with the folks of Eveningstar and its temple to Lathander, and fighting with Whisper (and eventually scouring out Whisper's Crypt). There were side-treks down into Waymoot, Dhedluk, and into the King's Forest, quite a bit of wandering around the Stonelands, and even some forays into Suzail, Arabel, and (later) Marsember.
And that's just a scant "highlights" summary of the adventuring activity. All of our characters had real lives with "part time day jobs," and became increasingly aware of the intrigues upon family feuds upon local skullduggery going on all around us, not just by dramatic incidents like Florin's rescue of King Azoun on the forest road, but by eavesdropping at revels and outside nobles' hunting lodges and listening to everyday gossip.
To players who often want to face monsters with their blades drawn, this might seem VERY slow-paced, but to us (we all love role-playing, the soap opera-ish trying to "read" the truth of what this or that NPC says or does, what their motives are in dealing with known adventurers [are they trying to manipulate us? if so, into doing what? why?], the negotiations of everyday business and of buying homes and managing our coins, keeping on the good side of local War Wizards and King's Lords, and so on) it was fascinating, the meat and drink of why we assembled to spend hours on end with Ed once a week.
The result was a palpable realism, in which even "lowly" NPCs MATTER, as friends or foes or just the local eccentrics, so what happens to them has a deep emotional impact on the players of PCs.

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  09:12:22  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No new lore or info?

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2011 :  10:38:36  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on royal marriages

Cheers

Damian
Yes" to pomp, rings, and honeymoon (always in a secret locale that standing legend insists is always far from Cormyr, but many Cormyreans suspect is usually/always closer to home).
Yes, it's a national holiday, and the King's lords lay on feasts in their various locales at which a Crown herald and a local War Wizard declaim the unfolding distant ceremony (the wizard working a large "farscry illusion" in the air above their platform, that shows the vows and royal kiss at the height/culmination of the ceremony).
I seem to remember that the venue and the "approach" (arrivals of bridal party and groom) can vary with each wedding, and approaches have included groom galloping up on horseback.
I definitely recall that multiple Wizards of War cast wards on the participants and all royals (and visiting heads of state, though these are rare) present, to prevent magical and archery attacks on them, and that they are also spell-protected against poison and with ironguard.
Yes, there are some private rituals that are part of the ceremony, but I can't recall anything at all about them, and don't think Ed has ever revealed much about them to us.
So off to him your post goes, to see what comes back . . .
(Be patient. He'll be heading into crunch time for the current Elminster novel, about now.)

love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2011 :  10:41:42  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on a Cormyte singing game

Cheers

Damian
Blueblade, Tlacrist is a composer's name, AND it's a game. The folk in that burgled house were playing a game that's named for a long-dead Cormyrean prominent composer, Rellard Tlacrist, because of his habit of inventing irreverent lyrics to "go with" existing ones. (Yes, Ed invented this, years ago.)
The (parlor, not betting) game goes like this: someone recites a line or couplet of well-known verse or lyric, such as:
(to use a real-world example, from Robert Frost):
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
Now, most of us familiar with North American poetry know the next two lines very well. If we were playing Tlacrist, however, we'd have to invent replacements on the spot, incorporating a single word provided right then by another player (usually shouted out, but in older versions of the game, words were written on cards before play began, put face down in a random array, and turned up one by one during play; some families or clubs developed "favourite" groups of words that they used for years, in game after game).
So in our example, the other player calls out: "backside!"
That's the word that must appear in the next line or couplet, so our player improvises:
And many a backside now to reap
My lash makes all the maidens weep

. . . And as our example demonstrates, much Tlacrist play tends to be mildly naughty, and fueled by drinking. However, we could just as well have played a more innocent game, answering instead:
And so for home I'll softly creep
Backside warm, snores to peep

. . . Or something equally clumsy of the sort.

Interestingly, according to Ed, Tlacrist composed some marching songs and patriotic songs for the Cormyrean Court, and taught the Court scribes of the day to play this game as a way of adding new and appropirate lyrics, line by line to form new verses, to his patriotic songs (so they could readily be updated, for instance, to reflect new battle-victories or civic achievements, and new monarchs coming to the throne).

So there you have it. More potted Realmslore . . .

Ed, BTW, is hard at work on the next Elminster novel, and loving it.
so love to all,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2011 :  09:45:14  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO with names of 'Truthdelvers' (private investigators) in Suzail

Cheers

Damian
Suzail: the old, infirm, "forget nothing" Elmurt the Wise; Harrigo Tallowhar (often hired by the Palace, and eventually viewed by some as their undercover agent); and Maelra Evenbird (a pretty, sophisticated socialite who ferrets secrets and underlying truths out of the gossip and posturings of the wealthy, noble, and Court-connected).

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  10:46:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might want to check this link out.

Looks like Mystra has big plans for the War Wizards of Cormyr!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2011 :  00:08:53  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on makers of stained glass windows, heraldry pertaining thereto and the naming of inns near the Hullack

Cheers

Damian
Hi again, all.
Damian, I sent your queries to Ed (who was busy picking apples for the winter), and he sent back this reply:

Hi, Damian! Here we go . . .
The nearest crafters of stained glass scenes are in Arabel (three rival families: the Arnthaun [long-established, haughty, expensive, and very good]; the Caulmurs [fast workers, hard bargainers, and more than a little shady]; and the Raulns [small husband-and-wife team, slow but cheaper than the others]).
All of them will make windows in small rectangular sections that will be fitted into larger frames to form the scene. Be aware that stained glass windows in that climate will make for a very COLD church/inn in winter, unless covered with stout shutters. :}
Yes, the Crown will forbid (and destroy, if made behind their backs or in defiance) any window scene that "offends against the Dragon." This includes local Crown heralds (who work with the "local lords" appointed by the Crown).
The independent heralds (the High Heralds and their ilk) will only take an interest in the new stained glass windows if there's misuse of heraldry involved (using someone else's badge or motto or arms). They have absolute authority, regardless of what priests might say, on visible-from-the-exterior church/temple/shrine symbols, but will ignore temple interiors, leaving that to priests.
In the particular case you raise, here's the pertinent lore: the hawk is a very popular heraldic charge in the Heartlands and both the Sword Coast and the Moonsea North. So using a hawk isn't the issue if it's an established family merchant badge known and used in Cormyr already; the Crown has enough ongojng fights with its nobles and with everpresent desires for independence in Arabel and Marsember not to go "borrowing trouble" by forcing a confrontation over a few stained glass windows.
However, creating them will bring the player character "under the eye" of local Crown agents, who will henceforth pay attention to everything he/she does, watching for possible treason.
And, yes, if the building really does become a rallying point for folk desiring a new "Kingdom of Hullack," there WILL be trouble. The player character and his/her allies and habitual companions will be under immediate suspicion of treason, will be covertly investigated (spied upon), and depending on what those investigations uncover, may be publicly named traitors and arrested, their lands and property forfeit to the Crown. Or more likely, if they aren't actively plotting or working towards rebellion/founding a new kingdom, just get watched . . . for the rest of their lives.

Heh. So saith Ed. Who has actually DM'd something akin to this, in the home Realms campaign. Let it be said that Vangey is highly suspicious of all adventurers, just as a default starting position.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  15:42:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stupid question time; sorry, I have no sources to reference anymore.

I can only think of two of the three royal families - the Huntsilvers and Crownsilvers... who is the third?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  16:05:35  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Stupid question time; sorry, I have no sources to reference anymore.

I can only think of two of the three royal families - the Huntsilvers and Crownsilvers... who is the third?
House Truesilver
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  16:57:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you sir....

Now I have a question for Ed, unless someone here already knows the answer - was there ever a fourth?

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  17:26:45  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thank you sir....

Now I have a question for Ed, unless someone here already knows the answer - was there ever a fourth?
No. Just the three, by virtue of intermarriage between the Obarskyrs and the Silver family.

Ahh, if only we could convince WotC to publish, in some format, the Royal Lineage of Cormyr. Then all would be revealed, it would...
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2011 :  12:47:52  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on how a normal Cormyrean would react to seeing demi-humans for the first time

Cheers

Damian

A human "pre-adventuring-travels" adventurer from a small village in Cormyr, pre-Spellplague, might not have spoken to anyone non-human, if they weren't bold enough to approach them (at the roadside or in shops by day, or at taverns, eateries and inns of an evening), but they would certainly have often seen dwarves and elves (plenty of whom travel with caravans, trading), and probably had halflings, gnomes, and half-elves as neighbours. Perhaps even a half-orc or two (and in the remote northern, eastern, or western verges of the realm, they might well have seen orc or goblin raiders from a distance). So elves they really spoke to would be highly memorable, but not more. No, they'd not recoil in open disgust upon seeing a half-orc, but they would probably have a good stare (and then covertly watch out of the corners of their eyes, "just in case").
They would have heard rumors and "temple talk" (sermons and replies of priests to various local questioners) about Planetouched, but the truth and comprehensiveness of such information would vary widely with the faith and individual priest. So they might well have incomplete/slanted "knowledge" of what a Planetouched is.
BTW, although there is certainly racism (and snobbery, and class distinctions, and rivalry from place to place [even with Cormyr, which has intense rivalries between Marsember and Suzail, and Arabel and Suzail, and Marsember and Arabel, and "upcountry" and "the Coast" (south), and urban versus rural]) in the Realms, it's different than in our real world thanks to daily contact between races and the existence of various half-breeds; people grow up "knowing more" about other races and thus having less "fear of the unknown" about them. ("Detestion of the known" certainly still exists, of course.) Just as religion in the Realms, with everybody "believing in" an array of gods that many have seen avatars and/or manifestations of, tends to differ from real-world monotheistic "take on faith" situations.
This doesn't mean, BTW, that our starting-out adventurer wouldn't be gullible enough to believe misinformation about half-orcs and Planetouched and even dwarves and elves. But it DOES mean that he or she wouldn't be awed or frightened by the mere sight of a "different" individual. (And halflings and gnomes dwell and work everywhere as shopkeepers and craftworkers, throughout Cormyr.)

So saith Ed. Who loves to serve up Realmslore whenever he gets the chance!
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page