Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for all about Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2012 :  17:33:30  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian Cortijo on the founding of the Wizards of War

Cheeers

Damian

There are two groups that have the name War Wizards.

The first group was founded by the second Royal Magician of Cormyr, Amedahast, well before the Fall of Myth Drannor. Since Amedahast herself was raised and trained in Myth Drannor before coming to study under her ancestor and predecessor, Baerauble, it's very likely that she might have 'recommended' that several early War Wizards train with the Circle.

When Salember claimed the throne for himself, the original War Wizards shattered, keeping their titles but remaining servants of the realm in name only. When Vangerdahast came to Cormyr, he slew a great many traitors (earning himself his epithet, Thunderspells), and refounded the brotherhood. That happened in 1308 DR.

Make sense now?

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  00:08:56  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on the law regarding loot and recovered goods and who gets what when the spoils are divvied up

Cheers

Damian

Hi again, all!
Here's Ed's promised response to Damian, re. this: "What are the rules on dividing loot between the Kings Local Lord and the Purple Dragon troops if they uncover a bandit/smuggling ring and break it up, kill the bandits and end up with loot (weapons, armour, money, horses, wagons, trade goods etc).
Do the rules change if the loot found is magical? (i.e. the bandit leader has a +1 sword).
Also is there a difference between how spoils might be divided in a major town like Wheloon and an up county village on the edge of the Hullack?
And lastly the crux of the issue, if an adventuring group have been paid by the Local Kings Lord to support the Purple Dragons in dealing with said bandits do they get a share of any loot or as they have already been paid do they get nowt?"
Ed replies:

The Purple Dragons will take EVERYTHING back to the King's Lord for him to examine, and there's a strict rule that everything magical will be handed over to the Wizards of War (as you'll see a side-glimpse of in ELMINSTER ENRAGED, every King's Lord has two teams of War Wizards assigned to him, and they keep watch over him as well as working "for" him). In theory, if it's a simple +1 weapon, it might be returned to a "finder," but that's rare; War Wizards like to control magic items inside the realm, by keeping them out of the hands of just about everyone.
The King's Lord (in the presence of the Purple Dragon commander and a War Wizard, not secretly, on his own) decides how all "seized goods" get reallocated, for the good of the realm - - so horses and their tack, armor, and the like might very well get handed to the Purple Dragons, the coins go into "holding" (general Crown revenues), and so on.
First of all, everything gets examined, particularly if crimes are involved (these were bandits), so as to try to learn all that can be learned (about Sembian or Zhent incursions and operations inside the kingdom's borders, etc.). If War Wizards suspect anything is enchanted, they'll cast spells to try to investigate, etc.
Then every Purple Dragon involved gets separately debriefed (questioned), the War Wizards and the King's Lord taking part, to try to piece together the most complete and accurate account of what happened.
Only after that's done, and it's all written down with recommendations about further action/investigation, will any seized things be doled out/taken away/etc.
It is customary for a King's Lord to give "nominal" rewards to Purple Dragons for things brought in, but they ARE small token items, because the soldiers were doing the jobs they have trained, taken an oath, and are being paid for.
Where all of this is taking place should make no difference at all, except in the speed of the examination (in Suzail, High Horn, and Arabel, there are LOTS of War Wizards and other skilled individuals such as Highknights and sages who can pitch in, if need be).
Lastly, what rewards/reallocation a hired adventuring band gets depends on their contract (and there MUST be one, or everyone could hire adventurers as their own private slaughter-armies, then deny later they did so, and have the absent-or-conveniently-slain adventurers be the scapegoats; after all, if I slay the King's Lord and make myself Acting King's Lord, AFTER taking care of any on-the-spot War Wizards, I may have several days to do things in, before . . . y'see? So Vangerdahast decreed long ago that there would be written, signed, attested-by-War Wizards and/or Heralds contracts) with the King's Lord. If he "forgot" to write one up, he's in BIG trouble, and will likely give them generous rewards atop their pay, in order to secure their agreement to backdating the contract so it looks as if he "did the right thing" regarding the adventurers before the bandits got taken down.
So I'd say the PCs are in for a bit of a windfall . . . ;}

So saith Ed. Heh. DMing with reference to human nature, as usual . . .
love,
THO

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2012 :  05:09:43  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thank you sir....

Now I have a question for Ed, unless someone here already knows the answer - was there ever a fourth?
No. Just the three, by virtue of intermarriage between the Obarskyrs and the Silver family.

Ahh, if only we could convince WotC to publish, in some format, the Royal Lineage of Cormyr. Then all would be revealed, it would...

*sigh*... I suspect that, regardless of what is said and at what volume it is said, the Lineage won't see the light of day until the Realms has a different publisher. Again, this is me expecting the worst while hoping for (but not discussing) the best, in order that my surprises may all be pleasant ones. Sick and twisted logic, I know, but the Spellplague has caused me to think differently... perhaps I was there, in some form... anyway, the recent DDI articles on Cormyr give us an excellent opportunity to tell WotC "more of this kind of stuff, please!" and (of course) specifically ask for the Lineage... with the new philosophy apparently underlying the development of the new edition, this might actually work this time around... and if that last statement sounds bitter, I apologize, but I'm one of the reasons WotC lost market share to Paizo, but I'm still around for the Realms, and I'm willing to come all the way back if I like what I see.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  00:25:09  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Addendum from THO on 'loot laws' in Cormyr

Cheers

Damian

Hi, again, all. Here's my own brief followup to Damian:

Ed didn't say WHY Purple Dragons have to show "everything" to a King's Lord.
It's thanks to Vangerdahast, who established what we might call "scene of the crime" investigations.
Because non-War Wizards might not know the significance of something they find - - and no one might, until later - - Purple Dragons have to report (with a second Dragon as a witness, whenever possible) EXACTLY where they find everything, at the scene, and even draw diagrams if they can.

love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  10:36:45  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on game play in the Haunted Halls

Cheers

Damian
Hi again, all.
Asgetrion, Jakk . . . from what I recall of the original Haunted Halls, it had the main level you see (with a little more "dungeon dressing," in particular the decaying remnants of a ward that had JUST been broken by a previous adventuring band whose remains were scattered around the dungeon - - that ward being why no one had reached Miior before the PCs), then the upper level citadel with the kobolds (I can't remember how much of that made it into the published module), then a lower level that was smaller than the main level but covered a larger area (I know that sounds contradictory, but what I mean was: it was a few rooms, then a L-o-o-o-n-g ([[miles]] passage to Whisper's Crypt), plus a separate lower level that may or may not have made it into the published module, consisting of a natural rift/long but narrow crack in the solid rock that linked all levels, but went nowhere else: the kobolds had a privy, their dung fell down a shaft into the rift, and the rift accessed the main level and was its own lower level, with some hidden items, remains of murdered kobolds that had been hurriedly stuffed down the privy-shaft [[long ago]] with minor treasure such as coins and items "on" them, and one important something hidden there long ago.
I'd love to see the full Haunted Halls published, yes, because it's a fun "old school" dungeon that illustrates Ed's humor, the lore and interconnected things he sneaks into his dungeons...and of course it had the entire village of Eveningstar detailed down to the last chamberpot.
Off your questions go to Ed, for his responses, of course...but it was the wards (edited out of the published product, possibly by Ed if he was drastically trimming it himself, possibly by an in-house TSR editor) that had kept Miior hidden for all those years...
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  10:39:06  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on Xraunrarr, Nalavarra and the goblins of Grodd amongst other things!

Cheers

Damian
Hi again, all. I bring you the latest words of Ed of the Greenwood, this time in response to Jeremy Grenemyer's post about Xraunrarr, higher up on this page (Feb 4).
Here we go . . .

JG: Were they searching for Nalavarra's lair directly or through adventurer intermediaries? Or did they discourage searches for the lair, fearing this might spark another war with the goblins of Grodd that Cormyr wasn't ready for?

Ed: Hi, Jeremy! Yes, the latter; they discouraged searches for the lair, for the reason you've hit upon.

JG: Did the Xraunrans throttle back on encouraging nobles to war with each other? Or did they use their influence to ramp up the hostilities in the immediate aftermath of the war so families with few surviving heirs could be wiped out and new nobility created that might be better controlled by Xraunrans?

Ed: They ramped up for a season (in this case, I mean half a year, counting the seasons as "summer" and "winter" rather than including spring and fall) to see how many noble families they could get rid of to bring new nobility onstage that, yes, they could more easily influence . . . and then decided to throttle back in the wake of the disastrous Council, because they judged a full-blown civil war would lose them most of their influence right away, and for a long time to come (and markedly weaken the kingdom, and therefore their potential gains).

JG: I ask the later because it seems like there are lots of new-to-me noble families in the Elminster Must Die books and I'm wondering if they were mostly created post-war?

Ed: About half are new, but the most pompous are of course older; the new ones haven't had time to get that way. :} I'd love to do more lore on Cormyr's noble families, but have thus far only dabbled (in my Eye on the Realms DDI articles, last year) so as not to hamper any chances of a future Cormyr sourcebook. (And no, I don't know of any plans to do one; I'm just hoping!)

JG: Did the Xraunran use its influence in Sembia to keep Cormyr's neighbor from pouncing on it?

Ed: Yes, decidedly. And very effectively undercut the agents of Shade pushing hard for an invasion.

JG: Last question: Did the Xraunrans dare to try and influence any of the Steel Regent's most influential advisers (those mentioned in Brian Cortijo's Cormyr Royale article: Caladnei, Laspeera, Filfaeril and Myrmeen Lhal)?

Ed: No. They were (wisely) VERY wary of the War Wizards and any magical means of intercommunication/booby traps/warning alarms they might have missed, that would awaken if they "moved in" on any of those minds. In part because Storm and Dove of the Seven had close contact with Queen Fee, and infrequent contacts with Laspeera, Caladnei, and Myrmeen Lhal (before her draconic dealings with Vangerdahast), too.

JG: Or did they view the human's time of rebuilding as a time for the Xraunran to slowly rebuild its control over its stable of tasty human breeding stock?

Ed: In general, yes. The Xraun are far more patient than most humans; think the "long view" taken by many elves; well, these beings have it, too. Better to feed well for centuries than to gorge now, and ruin this breeding stock that we like so much, and have to relocate (with all the headaches that accompany moves in the Underdark, and so on).
Hope I've been of help. These are the fun sorts of "how things work" questions I like answering.

So saith Ed. Who is on the verge of finishing some much-awaited Realmslore (no, I can't say more, because he hasn't told me . . . and I know when not to ask).
love to all,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  17:06:14  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks you, crazed, for keep coming Eds lore on Cormyr to these shelves here. I aprreciate it a lot, esp. since these days my time has been cut too short to stay updated in Realmsish and/or Cormyrian matters.

By the way, Crazed latest post has drawn my attention to Eds Eye of the Realms article Xraunrarr Will Triumph. I will add it to the list in the initial post, of course. I am no D&D Insider, and as such have no excess to this article myself.

Therefore, has anyone more info on these Xraunrarr?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2012 :  17:23:40  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xraunrarr is a beholder realm beneath eastern Cormyr, once active on the surface in the Hullack Forest, which magically coerces certain humans of Cormyr, Sembia and the Dales. The recent article follows up paragraphs in "Pages From the Mages, part VI" (Dragon #164).
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  00:02:03  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on what is down the kobold's privy shaft in the Haunted Halls

Cheers

Damian

And Ed tells me that, yes, the goodie down at the bottom of the privy was edited out purely for wordcount reasons. Here's what he did reveal:
lots of bones, coins, daggers, and little tools etc. from dead bodies (kobolds murdered by other kobolds) dumped down the privy shaft in a hurry to avoid having the murder discovered . . . and the "bigger thing." Think: minor magic item, old, Cormyr-royalty-related, and not something yet mentioned in published Realmslore.
(I seem to recall it was a crown or circlet with ironguard and feather fall enchantments on it, protecting the wearer. But I could be misremembering...)
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  21:26:18  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Xraunrarr is a beholder realm beneath eastern Cormyr, once active on the surface in the Hullack Forest, which magically coerces certain humans of Cormyr, Sembia and the Dales. The recent article follows up paragraphs in "Pages From the Mages, part VI" (Dragon #164).

The Dragon article your refer to - "Pages from the Mages IV" in Dragon Magazine #164 - has some bits on cormyrian history, indeed.

It discribes the Tome of the Wyvernwater Cicle, a magical tome created by a druidic circle active in northeastern Cormyr. The Xraunrarr are not specifically named in the article but merely hinted at. However, the article reveals much about the history of the Hullack forest and the person it got its name from.

Thank you for the hint, Faraer

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  19:50:18  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on whom built the Haunted Halls and the building methods used within!

Cheers

Damian

Ed replies: The Halls were built by hired dwarves, with some human and gnome assistance (mainly for sculpting - - gnomes - - and rubble-hauling-away - - humans). yes. The upper (kobold-occupied, in the 1350s DR) level, the privy rift, and the lower (unpublished level) are smooth-hewn from solid rock. The "main" level (where PCs enter, etc.) and the cubbies depending down off it in that long, angled pillared hall - - but not the small privy near the entrance, which is another crack in the solid rock - - are smooth-fitted flagstone floor and smooth-fitted stone block walls. The flagstones are smoothed and leveled, and the walls are of all sizes of dressed stone blocks, dry-fitted and flanged to hold each other, looking a lot more like a "dry stone" wall than rows of concrete blocks. This was done because there's a twelve-foot-thick layer of very soft "cheese rock" (as halflings and dwarves call it in the cliff that made hollowing out the Halls at that particular location very easy - - but also meant trusting the stone left behind not to collapse was a foolish idea, hence the fitted stone blocks (and buttresses and columns, especially witin the walls on either side of wide doorways).

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  17:18:54  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those of you interested in the history of Cormyrean nobility ought to take a look at Brian Cortijo's The Royal Blades of Cormyr: Swords of State in Dragon #407.

The back story of how the Thundersword noble family came to be, as well as their link to the blade Symylazarr, Font of Honor, is found within.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 21 Feb 2012 01:37:48
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  21:58:03  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Those of you interested in the history of Cormyrean nobility ought to take a look at Brian Cortijo's The Royal Blades of Cormyr: Swords of State Dragon #407.

The back story of how the Thundersword noble family came to be, as well as their link to the blade Symylazarr, Font of Honor, is found within.

Thank you fellow scribe, for bringing this new lore to our attention. I have added it to the list in the first post.

On a side note:
Too sad that one is forced to subsribe as DDi on monthy basis for only so few interesting articles and cannot purchase single ones he is interested in on a one-time-basis...

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2012 :  23:17:39  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the minimum monthly fee is like $5US or something (somebody check me on that).

It's always possible to subscribe for that month, download several articles and then decide if it's worth it to continue your subscription.

For me, it's all about the quality vs. what I perceive that quality to be worth. It's been about two years since I let my subscription run out, so after I saw all the articles I'd missed in that time, for me it was worth it to renew at the one year subscription rate and download all the content.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2012 :  23:33:54  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on Azoun the Fourth of that name to sit on the Dragon Throne and his relationships with high ranking clergy in Cormyr

Cheers

Damian

Not being Ed, my answer can by no means be comprehensive or complete, but as one of Ed's players, I can say this much: those are in-faith titles, and Azoun would know those priests because he reigned for a good stretch of years and all upperpriests of any faith publicly tolerated in Cormyr would be formally presented at court, then have a private "let's sit and talk and get to know each other" audience with the King, and from time to time be expected to attend court for certain ceremonies and consultations. So Azoun would know who they were, even if he didn't know them well.
Ed, of course, will say more.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  17:18:49  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on where the title 'Stagmaster of the Realm' came from and the history behind hunting in the Kings Forest

Cheers

Damian

Okay. Ed explained this to some TSR designers once, at a con where I was sitting in, and I recorded his words and then took notes from the recording (so what follows is almost verbatim). Here we go . . .

In the early days of Cormyr, the King's Forest was a royal hunting preserve, to which the King granted nobles (and in rare instances, visiting envoys and Cormyrean commoners) access to "hunt with him" (and later, to hunt with other members of the royal family). The King's foresters (staff) hunted the vermin, such as stirges, foxes, wolves, etc. Adventurers and some intrepid royals (think Bhereu and Thomdor, in Azoun IV's time) hunted, with formal permission, owlbears and other "monsters" of the forest. Commoners weren't allowed to hunt in the forest, but from time to time would be given low-level local permission (as in: king's lords, forester commanders) to "take deer" (usually when the deer population was exploding, to prevent an inevitable "starvation crash").
Yet only royalty and nobility could hunt wild boar and stags (the "cream" quarry).
Over time, various noble families were given permission to build their own hunting lodges in the King's Forest (usually in return for having supported or mightily pleasing the royal family in some way). So inevitably, they took to occasionally hunting without royal presence or express permission.
Also over many passing decades and centuries, commoners hunting deer along the verges became more frequent and less "special" and requiring special permission. The waystop inns and forester's hamlets within the forest grew over time, becoming villages with more folk in them who sought food and water in the nearby forests. Many village youths hunted "tree cats" (the local equivalent of squirrels), and rabbits.
Over time, public attitude shifted from "the forest and everything in it belongs to the King" to "the forest and everything in it belongs to Cormyr, and that's us." So from being an exclusive royal hunting preserve, the King's Forest by the start of the 1360s DR is "a dangerous place in deep, but a resource for all along the verges, just keep out of the way of the hunting parties because they get proper blazing if you interfere with their hunts."
Inevitably, some of the wealthiest social-climbing "wannabe noble" merchants took to hunting (hiring their own huntsmen, assembling their own hunting parties with all the gear, etc.) - - and going after boars and stags, not just deer, to "show that they were as good as a noble" and practically WERE nobles.
So by the time of Azoun IV's death, Vangey was itching to find some way to control this, and hit upon the notion that the reigning monarch would formally be "the Stagmaster of the Realms," reasserting royal control over who could hunt stags. In effect, formally designating the monarch as the "chief forester" of all Cormyr, whose permission you need to get to hunt stags.
There. From the mouth of Ed, from some years ago.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2012 :  08:39:36  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More from Ed on the perils of illegal hunting in Azoun V reign and how much it costs to buy a licence

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. Who isn't done yet! He's been scrambling to catch up on things all day, and has found time to answer Damian, too, re. this: "Given this reassertion of rights for Azoun V, what penalty might be incurred if a hunter is caught by a Kings forester hunting stag when they have already been told that they can't? And how much would a licence cost to buy the right to hunt a great stag? (several hundred or several thousand gold? or is it how much can we think we can charge? )"

Ed replies:
Hoo boy. Trail by War Wizards using mind-magic to ascertain guilt (and who else is involved, etc.) Upon conviction:
First punishment: lifetime ban (by public proclamation) from ever hunting ANYTHING, ANYWHERE in Cormyr, ever again, upon pain of a hand being severed PLUS exile, if caught. Second punishment: Immediate imprisonment in a labor camp near High Horn for five years, time that will be spent breeding, rearing, and doctoring deer (if you take a stag, you must help replace it, tenfold).
You get both punishments for a stag-killing; I do NOT mean that the first time you get the "first punishment," and the second time you get the second.
As for the licence: the sky's the limit. You want them to be so expensive that even a rich merchant or noble will wince. (After all, if someone has pleased or aided the monarch, so that the monarch feels they owe a favor, they'll just invite that "someone" along to hunt with them, for free - - so licences are to earn a LOT of coin for the treasury and to discourage people from seeking those licences.
So, yes, several thousand and up, to whatever you think you can charge. If an adventurer is sitting on loot, demand 12,000 gp per hunter per stag. If they're sitting on a lot of loot, make it 20,000 gp. (Inflationary pressures are very different in the Realms than in our real world; just go for it!)

So saith Ed. Done for tonight, he tells me.
love to all,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  01:43:18  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also a note for those interested in the particulars of the Suzail Writ: the January 2012 issue of Dungeon Magazine has a thirteen page article on Suzail (Backdrop: Suzail by Eric Menge) that gives over a few paragraphs to the particulars of the Writ.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  08:45:15  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also a note for those interested in the particulars of the Suzail Writ: the January 2012 issue of Dungeon Magazine has a thirteen page article on Suzail (Backdrop: Suzail by Eric Menge) that gives over a few paragraphs to the particulars of the Writ.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Jeremy!
It's been added in front.

BTW, fellow scribes,
have any more cormyr-related novels been released since the launch of 4th Ed.?

Best Regards, Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 21 Feb 2012 08:59:31
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  16:28:49  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

BTW, fellow scribes,
have any more cormyr-related novels been released since the launch of 4th Ed.?
There's also Bury Elminster Deep, which is set in Cormyr.

I'm not 100% that Elminster Enraged will be set in Cormyr, but I'd be willing to bet that it is.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  01:21:34  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm linking this scroll to the General Forgotten Realms Chat: Obarskyrs in Impiltur scroll at the suggestion of scribe Jeremy Grenemyer; there's some interesting speculation in there, particularly regarding a possible blood relationship between Caladnei and the Obarskyr family. I'll be putting the question to Ed momentarily as well.

Edit: Nope, crazedventurers beat me to the post in Ed's scroll. That's good; I've felt very demanding lately, so I'm glad someone else asked the question.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 01 Mar 2012 01:24:44
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  06:53:45  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for carrying this scroll here, fellow scribe Jakk.
Very interesting tidbits, indeed.

As this is the only thread I am reading atm, I am glad for any hint and suggestion to other Cormyr-related talk going on elsewhere in these Halls.
As will be any other scribe coming here looking for all about Cormyr... :)

Best Regards, Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  21:50:50  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on females in the Purple Dragons

Cheers

Damian
Ed replies:

Making war (or even border patrolling) was NOT Alusair's primary occupation.
However, I take your intent.
Many women in Cormyr have joined the Purple Dragons, taken employment as armed guards, and so on. Less than an average of, say, fifteen percent or so in peacetime, but that percentage doubles if you include (volunteer) militia membership. And rises sharply if the realm is actively at war. It comes down to more women than men being better at craftwork, and so needed not just "in the home," but to keep making and repairing things and keeping foodstuffs moving to supply garrisons and armies on the move. (And more men than women having the strength and interest to drill with polearms and swing swords.) Aside from the skilled "making of things," women have always excelled and predominated in Cormyr at horsebreeding and horse training (and the breeding and training of oxen and mules, too).
So female warriors are by no means unknown, but are certainly less common than male warriors.

So saith Ed. Who tells me some of your requests about specific individuals are NDA, but will tell you so properly when he's had the time to check details on this.
love,
THO

Addendum: More from Ed

I should note in his reply above that when Ed says "craftwork," he means in the Realms sense (making of items sold in shops, a.k.a. "goods guildwork"), not in the modern North American "arts and crafts" meaning of the word.

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 06 Mar 2012 21:52:16
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2012 :  10:05:29  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian Cortijo on Cormyrean Gold Pieces

Cheers

Damian
A Cormyrean golden lion (gp) is essentially a "core" gold piece in weight- just about 50 per pound.
For those keeping score, that's 0.32 ounces, or 9.0719 grams (you can safely round to 9.072g) per coin.

That's assuming, of course, that these are legitimate coins of proper weight, and not mixed-metal, forged, counterfeit or shaved coins.

As an aside, shaving coins isn't usually a good way of making money, because taking more than about 2.5% of the coin's total weight (reducing its weight from 0.02 pounds to 0.0195 poumds) makes it immediately detectable (both visibly, and by weight). 40 expertly shaved coins weigh exactly the same as 39 genuine coins (0.78 pounds), making it a labor-intensive way of making money usually only engaged in by people who have long periods of time to hold onto--but not spend a coin of--someone else's coin, in very large amounts.

That is, people who hold onto cash for adventurers...

Watching 200 gp for the local adventuring band while they head off to the local dungeon is only going to net you, at most, 5 gp more than whatever your stated fee is, and that's only if you're skilled enough to both properly shave the coins, to mint forgeries of Cormyrean or some other currency, and fool the adventurers into believing you haven't done anything wrong.

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 13 Mar 2012 10:06:41
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2012 :  04:50:03  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may wish to add Bury Elminster Deep to your sources list. Lots of juicy Cormyr information in that book.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  09:31:41  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed and THO on coins in Cormyr

Cheers

Damian

Hi again, all.
Therise, your question about the relative worth of Sembian and Cormyrean gold pieces has been answered before. The "quickie" version is: in everyday Cormyrean situations, for common folk, they're accepted as the same.
As we've played in Cormyr extensively over the years, and Ed has been asked many questions about the Forest Kingdom by TSR and WotC designers and RPGA folks, as well as scribes here, I have extensive notes on Cormyr from him, and so can answer you straightaway...as follows...
"If you looked in your money-pouch, and you're upper middle class (not a penniless wretch), what variety of coins are you most likely to have in there?"
If you're in Cormyr, most of the mintings would be of Cormyr, followed by Sembia, followed by Westgate, followed by Amnian and a smattering of Sword Coast, Vilhon, and Moonsea mintings.

"Also, for Cormyr, are there certain trademoots (or whatnot) that see an infusion of non-realm coinage?"
Yes, Arabel and Marsember and Suzail, lots daily, and Waymoot, Hultail, and Wheloon (until its transformation into a prison), a trickle daily.

"And how quickly can one get currency "exchanged" for coinage of the Realm?"
In the above "lots daily" places, right away if you go to a moneylender (and pay a changing fee). Elsewhere, AND in the three cities, right away if you make a purchase with outland currency; your change is likely to be mainly in Cormyrean coinage (with a smattering of Sembian and Westgate).

"Are there certain purchases (or certain goods) that absolutely require Cormyrean-made coinage (or Cormyrean-made trade bars) because of local laws?"
Yes. Certain royal licenses (hunting, land deed and marriage document and other Court scrivener services)specify "coin of the realm." However, almost all casual daily transactions and royal/Court/civic tolls and fees can be paid in any currency, if the coins aren't obviously fakes or deeply "shaved" or marred, or otherwise obviously "not worth their facings."

This all comes from Ed's notes. Off you queries have gone to him, too, to see if he has anything to add.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  11:48:47  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You may wish to add Bury Elminster Deep to your sources list. Lots of juicy Cormyr information in that book.

Done!

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  09:15:44  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on trading caravans found on the Way of the Manticore

Cheers

Damian

Hi, Therise! Well, it DOES depend. :}
Especially on whether or not it’s daylight, and what the weather is like (lashing rain or freezing temperatures aren’t just hard on drovers and animals, they ruin some cargoes). Also on the time of year (the spring and fall mud and the winter snows can sometimes close down that road linking Cormyr and Sembia through Daerlun, and there’s always heavy traffic just after harvests, and during the spring “opening up” and just before the winter “drawing down” of roads).
However, let’s assume that it’s an average summer day, not near any special occasion, it’s peacetime, and you are spending the day traveling along that road at an average speed (overtaking few and being overtaken by few).
So here we go . . .
You would almost NEVER be out of sight of pilgrims or a family walking, and a peddler/messenger (on horse, leading a mule, or just shouldering two balanced satchels, and walking).
You would seldom be out of sight of a farmer (with assistant), on a wagon or cart, usually moving hay or feed, but sometimes straw or manure.
Your “lone merchant, perhaps with a few pack animals, maybe one wagon” will almost always have an assistant or his wife - - or if lacking that, will “pair up” with another lone merchant for such overland treks (so if a wagon wheel or someone’s leg breaks, someone else can go for help or aid the injured). You’ll see one of them about every five minutes, and pass them about every ten minutes (i.e. they’ll be in sight before and after you actual pass them).
Your “small family or band (2-3 merchants) with 1-2 wagons and guards” will be in view about every twelve minutes apart.
Your “large caravan, with 4+ merchants and multiple wagons and guards,” from two to five an hour.
Larger caravans, of 20 wagons or more, perhaps eight a day. Wartime or harvest-tide or “buildup of goods” caravans of any sort can be as large as sixty wagons (and in dangerous overland areas in the Sword Coast North, forty-odd wagons is the prudent minimum for caravans), but the Cormyr-Sembia coast road is busy, with large caravans more unwieldy than needed for safety, so big caravans tend to be large “single shipper movements,” like a coster racing a fish catch in a dozen wagons.
An average day might see ten to fourteen of these sorts of 8-16 wagon “runs.” As I said, it’s a busy road.
Hope I’ve been of help.

So saith Ed. Who is happily writing and designing something secret right now.
Love to all,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2012 :  03:12:03  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on trade goods that flow between Cormyr and Sembia (from actual game play)

Cheers

Damian

I've sent your post to Ed for a proper reply, of course, but we've spoken about this very topic recently, in our own campaign, and the short reply re. trade goods passing along that road is: EVERYTHING.
As in: anything that isn't really bulky yet not harmed by damp (because heavy bulk cargoes like charcoal and lumber and stone often go by ship, along the Dragon Coast - - but everything else goes by wagon). Cormyr is the source for a lot of "raw materials" (pigment for paintings and frames, finishes for furniture AND the wood for that same furniture, metal ingots for use in making wire and fine castings, etc.) that Sembian firms and crafters use in making "finished goods").
Ed will provide proper details, of course, but those wagons could have just about EVERYTHING: raw or refined materials/ingredients, and horse-related finished goods like tack and harness, going from Cormyr to Sembia - - and all the "finished" goods made from them, going from Sembia to Cormyr (and, via the caravans overland through the Heartlands, on to the Sword Coast).
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

archmagestar
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2012 :  04:24:28  Show Profile Send archmagestar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Hi folks!

I created this scroll gathing material to help me in running a campaing in Cormyr (or Tethyr, which I had not decided at that time - see other thread). However, this has kind of evolved above the mere selfish intent, now being more or less a project of mine to collect as much official cormyrian lore as possible so that others may also benefit from it.

For all of those interested in Cormyr, I hope this list of sources helps you flesh out your campaigns or is able to provide the fastest way to answers to one or two of your questions concerning the Forest Kingdom.

If you happen to find other sources not yet included in my list below: fellow monks, scribes and lore seekers, put on your library sneakers; heed my call and bring 'em all.

Before you go on though, I would like to make you aware of the fact that the maretial on Cormyr for 4th Edition (1385 DR and later) from the 'Countdown of the Realms' articles as well as all 4th Ed. material on Cormyr in general will be found here in the following:

Adventures:
- Scepter Tower of Spellguard
- Forgotten Realms Conversion of the adventure Keep on the Shadowfell (both linked to pdf-download)

Novels:
- Elminster must die! (sample chapter in the novel Circle of Skulls)
-Bury Elminster deep

DDi articles:
- DDi Countdown of the Realms article by Brian R. James: Spellplague: The Wailing Years has some info on Cormyr during this very special time (see p. 4 of this thread for the relevant excerts)
- DDi Countdown of the Realms article by Rich Baker: Year of the Ageless One on Imperial Cormyr in 1479 DR (see p. 4 of this thread for the relevant excerts)
- DDi article by Brian R. James: Backdrop: Cormyr including a detailed map of the Kingdom in 1479 DR.
- DDi Eye on the Realms article by Ed Greenwood: 'Tarmel Drouth, Outcast Noble'
- DDi Eye on the Realms article by Ed Greenwood: Queen Filfaeril's Blades
- DDi Eye on the Realms article by Ed Greenwood: Xraunrarr Will Triumph
- DDi article by Brian Cortijo: The Royal Blades of Cormyr - Swords of State
- DDi article by Eric Menge: Backdrop: Suzail

And now, here is the list of those sources from 1st to 3rd- Ed. I was able to dig up so far, mentioned in this thread or otherwise:

Sourcesbooks:
- FR Adventures (2106)
- FR Campaign Setting (1st, 2nd & 3rd Ed)
- FR Cormyr (9410)
- Volo's Guide to Cormyr (9486) (zip-file)
- Elminster's Ecology Box Set (1111) (for info on Stonelands, Cormyrean Marshes, Thunder Peaks & Storm Horns)
- FR 13 Anauroch (9320) (esp. Stonelands)
- FR Atlas (8442)
- Grand History of the Realms
- Faith & Pantheons ('Wyvernstones of Hullack' also known as 'the Elfhold', p. 174)
- Lords of Darkness (esp.cormyr-related are: 'Fire Knifes, p. 134; 'Iron Throne', p. 141; 'Eldreth Veluuthra', p. 130)
- FR Pirates of the Fallen Stars (9346) (see p. 4 of this thread for a copy of some of that material)

Adventures:
- Four from Cormyr (zip-file)
- Haunted Halls of Eveningstar
- Curse of the Azure Bonds
- Time of Troubles modules ('Shadowdale', 'Tantras', 'Waterdeep')
- Marco Volo: Journey (zip-file) (Chapter 3)
- Into the Dragons Lair
- Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave

Novels:
- Crown of Fire [see p. 4 of this thread for further details]
- Stormlight [see further down of p. 1 of the thread for more insides from Ed and p. 9]
- Murder in Cormyr [see p. 4 of this thread for further details]
- Lost Library of Cormanthyr [see p. 7 of this thread for further details]
- Tymora's Luck
- Crusade
- Azure Bonds
- Ring of Winter (at least starts in Cormyr)
- Elminster in Hell (cormyr-related lore in a few flashbacks of the old sage throughout the book)
- Elminster's Daughter
- the Cormyr Saga (Cormyr: a novel, Beyond the Highroad, Death of the Dragon)
- Frostfell (featuring a War Wizard, minor information about High Horn)
- Knights of Myth Drannor-Trilogy (Swords of Eveningstar, Swords of Dragonfire & The Swords Never Sleep)

Short Stories:
- A Virtue by Reflection - Scott Ciencin in Realms of Valor
- The Family Business - James Lowder in Realms of Valor
- Laughter in the Flames - James Lowder in Realms of Infamy
- The Club Rules - James Lowder in Realms of Mystery

In Dragon Magazine according to Dragondex ["Article Name" (main content) in: issue(page)]:
"Pages from the Mages IV" (The Tome of the Wyvernwater Cicle) in: 164 (61)
"The Ghazneths" (Beyond the High Road: Monsters) in: An4(114)
"Heroes of the Crown" (Beyond the High Road: Characters) in: An4(134)
"After the Dragon" (Lore) in: An5(58)
"Next Stop: Eveningstar" (Lore) in: 157(64)
"Cormyrian Contacts" (NPCs) in: 276(76)
"Lost Treasures of Cormyr Part 1-4" (Magic Items) in: 278(88), 279(80), 280(84) & 281(76)
"Horrors of Cormyr, The" (New Monsters) in: 299(52)
"Heroes of Cormyr" (PrC) in: 307(46)

In Dungeon Magazine ["Article name" in: issue(page)]:
"Ironguard - There is no tomb like home" in: 18(4)
"The Doors from Everywhere" in: 88(15)
"Practical Magic" in: 113(35)

Realmslore Articles on Cormyr by Ed Greenwood:
- Rise and Fall of the Window Tax Part I & Part II; telling of an unusual tax to compansate the financial difficulties during wartime.
- State Visit to Cormyr Part I & Part II; outlining the sequence of events (and preparations for them) involved in a state visit to Cormyr.
- Semberholme Part I & Part II, detailing this special place in Cormyr.
- Azouns Offspring; covering the many "Dragon's bastards", as the unlawful children of Azoun IV are called.
- not available at the moment is A Moment With Alusair[link removed]- from the hands of Elminster, a hitherto-suppressed snippet of Realmslore relevant to the novel Swords of Dragonfire.

On Cormyrean Locations:
- On Semberholme see the Realmslore Article above.
- On the Forgotten Keep, found on the a map of Eveningstars surroundings in Volo's Guide to Cormyr, read a bit in the lower part of this very page and in this thread as well.
- for Taverns in Cormyr look at the scribes gatherings of Candlekeep: Taverns and Inns in the Realms
- The set-up of a typical family farm of Cormyr is illustrated in the Elminster's Ecologies Box Set, The Settled Lands p. 6.
- Cormyr locations featured in the Perilous Gateways articles: The Cormyr Portal (Portals of the Triad), The Internest Portal (Aarakocran Portals) & The Farsea Marsh Portal (Portals in Ruins).
- On Firevall Vale & Keep see Ed's reply of March 4th 2004, copied to page 1 of this thread (containing spoilers from 'Stormlight').
- Rich Baker's article Cavern of Death discribes an unusual location some 90 miles west of Tilverton in the Stonelands.
- On page 4 of this thread you will find two answers of Ed detailing the Hidden House and its entrance found in Tessaril's Tower in Eveningstar.
- On the Elfhold in the Hullack Forest see p. 174 es seq. of the 3rd Ed. sourcebook Faith & Pantheons.
- On the village/town of Ghars see the summary of information obtained from Volo's Guide to Cormyr and the novel 'Murder in Cormyr' on p. 4 of this thread.
- A brief discussion on the Crystal Grot, a secret place full of sapphires, and on other mines in Cormyr on p. 5 of this theard.
- Ed's detailed answers concerning Thunderstone see page 6 (starts at the bottom) and esp. page 7 of this thread.
- A 'one-way-only' portal leading from the Farlight Stones to Muskin's Well. Storm Silverhand travels through it in chapter 3 of Stormlight, p.39-43. (see also page 9)
- The main street in Arabel is named Thalonder's Ride. Read more on it and Thalonder himself on p. 12 of this thread.

On Cormyr's Military:
- The Military Forces of Cormyr (Version 1.2) annotated by Jerry Davis from various official sourcebooks.
- The Ranks of the Purple Dragons of Cormyr are listen in 3rd Ed. Power of Faerun, p. 29; compare also the reply by Garen Thal on page 2 of this thread.
- For Honor Decorations of the Purple Dragons of Cormyr see also 3rd Ed. Power of Faerun, p. 34.
- For Inforamtion in the Naval Forces of Cormyr, see page 4 of this thread.
- The Oath of Loyalty sworn by the War Wizards can be found on p. 5 of this thread (thanks to Wolly). I might at that during the ceremony the royal blade Rissar is used to shed some drops of blood by the war wizards taking the oath. It is rumored that these drops are carefully kept in vials by the Royal Mage, who can work deadly magic on treacherous war wizards from afar by means of the precious droplets! (see Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 11)
- A special war horse: the Cormyrean Destrier, see 3rd Ed. Realms of Valor, p. 154.

On Cormyr's Nobles and other Citizens of the Forest Kingdom:
- A discussion scroll on King Azoun IV can be found here at Candlekeep: Azoun IV.
- For an extensive list of the Nobles of Cormyr see: 1. this scoll and/or 2. that one and/or 3. here (Scroll 1 & 2 draw not exclusivly on canon lore though.)
- Wyvernspur Family Lineage done by Garen Thal
- Nadul DaRoni, a Gnome artificier who settled near High Horn, featured in the Realms Personalities article.
- The stats of the Steel Regent Alusair. This link's info is identical with the FRCS 3rd Ed. entry and shows the correct stats (Ftr7/Rgr1/Pdk2) according to Tom Costa. Older inaccurate stats of her can be found in Dragon Magazine Annual 2000 article 'After the Dragon' (Ftr20), Heroes Lorebook (Ftr6) and in the adventure module 'Curse of the Azure Bonds'(Thief6).
- House Cormaeril Family Coat of Arms can be found in 2nd Ed. FR Campaign setting (purple dragon with golden trumpet); for the earliest collective symbol of a Cormyr banner see the quotes of George Krashos and Garen Thal on page 3 of this thread.
- Official Royal lineage of Cormyr can be found in the 2nd Ed. FR Campaign Set, p. 34.
- The leaders of noble houses swear allegiance to the king of Cormyr on Symylazarr (the Fount of Honor), an ancient rune-engraved blade with a pommel in the shape of a dragon's head, which is used ceremonially since at least 376 DR (Cormyr: A Novel, p. 210, Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 11).
- p. 87 of 3rd Ed. Power of Faerun shows a young noble with his shield, depicting the badge (simplified arms) of the Hawklin noble family of Cormyr. (more information in Ed's reply from Feb 2nd 2008)
- Court Herald Touchstar of Cormyr, is shown on p. 110 of 3rd Ed. Power of Faerun wearing her badge, a literal shield [buckler] oversized cloak-pin. (For more on the “ancient enemy of the crown” she’s pointing at read Ed's reply from Feb 2nd 2008)
- Nadasha and Lycon of Sune are two Harper agents active in Cormyr. (Elfshadow by E. Cunningham, p. 277)
- 'Alkenen the peddler' is a roadfaring merchent, who is active from the Heartlands to Sembia, traveling through Cormyr from time to time. (Twilight Falling by Paul S. Kemp, p. 32 et seq.)[see p. 9 of this thread for a short info on him]
- Rogart Perilhaven, a 9th level Ranger spying in and around Corm Orp for Cormyr ('Training Grounds', an adventure from Dungeon Magazine #67, p. 34.)

Other useful Web-Links:
- for a list of Cormyr-related replies by Ed(2004-2007) in the Chamber of Sages section of Candlekeep go to page 2 of this thread (and compare them with Kuje's compiled files).
- 'The History of Cormyr', compiled into XML by no other than Brian R. James.
- a fan page to Cormyr
- another fan page can be found here
- yet another fan page focusing on the town of Eveningstar: Welcome to Eveningstar
- for musings about Cormyr's current Councel of Mages see here
- a scroll discussing the Ghazneths
- The Purple Dragon Scroll gives some info on and around the notorious black dragon Thauglorimorgorus, also known as the Purple Dragon of Cormyr. For a list of all Dragons lairing in or around Cormyr check page 3 of this very thread.
- Two ideas on Cormyr and Spelljamming, which I found on the Spelljammer Mailing List are posted on page 3 of this thread.
- A thread here at Candlekeep, discussing Cormyr in 1351, esp. Gondegal "the Lost King".
- For a discussion about the royal linage and a possible blood relationship between Caladnei and the Obarskyr family see General Forgotten Realms Chat: Obarskyrs in Impiltur

Maps of:
- the Kingdom of Cormyr:
Map of the entire Kingdom of Cormyr
2nd Ed. FR Campaign set, p. 33 (detailed)
Cormyr, last pages
3rd Ed. FR Campaign Setting, p. 117
adventure Maro Volo: Journey, p. 26
adventure 'Waterdeep' p. 6 & (fold map); novel 'Waterdeep', p 0
novel 'Beyond the High Road', p. 0
novel 'Crown of Fire', p. 0
Borders only: 2nd Ed. FR Campaign Setting, Grand Tour of the Realms p. 43; Dragon Magazine Annual 2000, p. 65
Eastern border region, Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 84, 97
- Arabel:
2nd Ed. FR Campaign set, p. 24/25
2nd Ed. FR Capaign setting, Grand Tour of the Realms p. 46/47

2nd Ed. FR Adventures, p. 74/75
Cormyr, p. 18/19
surroundigs in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 128, 130, 135, 142, 164; novel 'Shadowdale'
- Bospir:
surroundings in Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 128, 130
- Dhedluk:
surroundings in: 2nd Ed. FR Campaign setting, Running the Realms p. 11; Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 135, 140, 164, 171, 175
- Eveningstar:
Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 144/145; Haunted Halls of Eveningstar; Adventure 'Waterdeep' (fold map); Into the Dragon's Lair, p. 16
surroundings in: 2nd Ed. FR Campaign setting, Running the Realms p. 11; Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 135, 142, 164
- High Horn:
Cormyr, p. 27
Power of Faerun, p. 39
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 173
- Hultail:
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 190
- Immersea:
2nd Ed. FR Campaign set, p. 53
2nd. Ed. FR Campaign setting, Grand Tour of the Realms p. 52
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 128, 152, 16; novel 'Shadowdale'
- Juniril:
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 87, 97, 152, 190
- Kirinwood:
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 84, 92, 118
- Marsember:
2nd Ed. FR Adventures, p. 92/93
Cormyr, p. 14
Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 42/43
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 81, 159
Dungeon Magazine 113, p. 37
- Smugglers Stone:
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 92, 118
- Suzail:
2nd Ed. FR Campaign set, p. 82/83
2nd Ed. FR Campaign setting, Grand Tour of the Realms p. 54/55
2nd Ed. FR Adventures, p. 108/109
Cormyr, p. 8/9
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 81, 159
- Thunderstone:
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 194
partually in Four From Cormyr (Map 8)
- Tilverton (old):
2nd Ed. FR Adventures, p. 112/113
Cormyr, p. 22
Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 198/199
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 196; novel 'Shadowdale', Dungeon Magazine issue #100, p. 53 (as part of the adventure 'Woe to Mistledale')
- Tyrluk:
(destroyed) Into the Dragon's Lair, p. 23
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 173
- Waymoot:
Cormyr, p. 30
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 140, 168, 171, 175
- Wheloon:
Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 106/107
adventure 'Waterdeep' (fold map)
adventure 'Cormyr - Tearing of the Weave', p. 149
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 87; adventure 'Cormyr - Tearing of the Weave', p. 152
- Wormtower:
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 84, 118
- Yeoman Bridge:
surroundings in: Volo's Guide to Cormyr, p. 128, 152, 190
- Stonelands north of Cormyr (thanks to Markustay):
Map 1
Map 2 with special Dungeon Master notes!

Enjoy gaming!

Forgotten Realms Junkie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000