Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Wizards online subscription service would you?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2007 :  01:28:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

What would Wizards have to provide on there website for you to give them money?

I would pay a monthly subscription for the following every month

Week 1: Volos Guide to Faerun by Eric Boyd (As seen in recent Dragons)

Week 2: Faiths of Faerun by Tom Costa (A pox on Paizo for shutting down Toms articles and then giving the format to Greyhawk!)

Week 3: Cities of Faerun by Ed Greenwood (You know it occurs to me that there currently 3 FR city articles floating in the ether: Eds 2nd Cities of Faerun article, Eric Boyds City of Wyrmshadow and Darrien Draedars Phlan article)

Week 4: "Something crunchy" (this article would have new feats, Affiliations and Presitige class specfic to the forgottn realms that dont fit in any of the other articles)

Each weeks article would have to be around the equivelant of 4 A4 pages of content

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2007 :  01:48:07  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good to me.

Though Week 4 doesn't always have to be something Crunchy, such as additional Lore, or it can be anything Realms Related, such as Conversion Advice for the "Generic" modules being released.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2007 :  03:00:59  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
depends on the price. I would not like it though. If I was to pay for a subscription of sorts, I would like updated lore on existing sourcebooks, Stories from authors. Mostly lore in areas not normally used, similar to Ed's border kingdom information

Edited by - scererar on 21 Apr 2007 03:04:22
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2007 :  03:37:34  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What, pay for online info?

It is unlikely offering everything they had over a few years would not be good enough for me to provide payment information, that could be "misplaced"

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2007 :  07:30:40  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good to me. Maybe Eric Boyd can get full articles published now, instead of only parts.

This new development could easily be a blessing in disguise.

...and I do love the crunchy

Edited by - Snotlord on 21 Apr 2007 08:34:39
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2007 :  08:30:57  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not the most likely person to take advantage of this offer, but if I where to be interested it would depend very much upon the price and the amount of Greenwood articles. As I am not a 3ed. player much of the material would naturally not interest me, but lore is edition-less.
Go to Top of Page

Saime
Acolyte

Denmark
21 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2007 :  12:19:36  Show Profile  Visit Saime's Homepage Send Saime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

The same contents Dragon and Dungeon provided.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2007 :  16:11:05  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Wizards actually gave us the option to choose from:

a) generic D&D material
b) Realms stuff (as you mentioned it, Dargoth)
c) Eberron
d) various

I'd pay something for it, if they just gave us more marketing BS for some cash, no way in hell I'd pay

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2007 :  22:04:48  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends what it was. Like Mace said, if they gave us the options of what to pay for, I'd certainly consider signing up for Realms content. Naturally it would depend on the authors, the frequency/quantity, the usefulness, the quality and the price of it though. I'd also hope they make it open to new writers, the way anybody could submit to Dragon and Dungeon. I would expect online articles they expect people to pay for to be of a high standard though.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  02:41:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering what I had to do to my latest Dragon submission - which reminds me, have to get on to them to see if it gets printed - I'd love a no word count scenario.

I'll certainly support any online mags that WotC bring out. If they are Dragon and Dungeon simply in electronic format, I'm fine with that. I also want to get published in them!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  02:55:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What did you have to do to your article George? How much did you have to cut-out?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Apr 2007 02:56:37
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  04:18:36  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

What did you have to do to your article George? How much did you have to cut-out?
Having seen the "before" and "after" products of the wordcount massacre, it looks something like one of those amazing weight loss adverts.

In other words, "too much."

As for the Wizards content, I'll agree that Tom, Eric and Ed should all have regular places in the schedule where they can share their insights with the world. Be advised, however, that George and I will both be doing quite a bit of door-knocking as well. ;)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  04:29:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Having seen the "before" and "after" products of the wordcount massacre, it looks something like one of those amazing weight loss adverts.

In other words, "too much."
Well, at least I know what to expect now with regards to the "final product" of my own efforts -- if it ever gets that far.

Thanks Garen.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Apr 2007 04:30:35
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  06:06:32  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a given that any kind of Realmslore would guarantee that I would subscribe.

One thing I am hoping for, and which has been hinted at, is some sort of replacement for E-tools character creation software. If they had some sort of easy character generator, especially one that let you work with monsters and easily let you slap templates and class levels on them, I would consider that a godsend for the the weekly game that I run.

One of my most time consuming preparation tasks is statting up monsters. It takes me a long time if I am not simply pulling them straight from the book. Adding templates and class levels (and choosing feats and spells, etc.) increases my prep time by a tremendous amount, is something that I wish I could automate a little easier, and also frankly is sometimes quite frustrating when I spend hours statting a boss monster and the players kill him off in 3 or 4 rounds.

The most helpful thing they could add to the subscription website (aside from Realmslore) is some powerful software applications that would make my job as a DM a little more easier.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  08:52:43  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for the Wizards content, I'll agree that Tom, Eric and Ed should all have regular places in the schedule where they can share their insights with the world. Be advised, however, that George and I will both be doing quite a bit of door-knocking as well. ;)

That does at least sound reassuring. I don't think I'd be unhappy with something similar to what Dargoth suggested.

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  11:20:17  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

quote:

That does at least sound reassuring. I don't think I'd be unhappy with something similar to what Dargoth suggested.

If Reefy gets one then I don't have to . I'm with Dargoth too, some specifically FR related Crunch is good, and the more of Volos fluff the better. I really appreciated how good Volo is when I stopped running a campaign in the Dalelands and tried joining a campaign somewhere like the Border Kingdoms. Just knowing inns, locations of interest, and names of people/places make it all so much more fun than just a short paragraph given in FRCS
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  13:05:51  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would. But some of us don't make enough money to get credit cards - so I can't.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  13:12:07  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully Eric, Tom and Ed and reading this

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  13:14:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I would. But some of us don't make enough money to get credit cards - so I can't.

get a VISA debit card it works exactly the same as your ATM card but it functions as credit card over the net

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  15:34:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

get a VISA debit card it works exactly the same as your ATM card but it functions as credit card over the net

Indeed. It would also be good if they accepted PayPal; you don't need a credit card for that one, either.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

lokilokust
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  17:02:37  Show Profile  Visit lokilokust's Homepage Send lokilokust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you can also always get visa or mastercard gift cards (which you can buy at most chain grocery stores, wal mart, etc.) and use those online.
as to the subscription service itself, i'll give it a try.
if it's terrible after the first two or three months, then i'd probably cancel, but if it's decent enough, i'll stick with it depending on the price.

yrs. in exile,
-s.j. bagley
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  17:07:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do remember people, not everyone lives in the USA. If people say they can't get a credit card, then they can't get a credit card. :) These suggestions are helpful, aye, but I think people know what they can and can't get.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

lokilokust
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  17:33:58  Show Profile  Visit lokilokust's Homepage Send lokilokust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
' Do remember people, not everyone lives in the USA. '
true, but the visa and mastercard gift cards are also sold in england, japan, australia, germany, the netherlands, egypt, canada, norway, sweden, and probably a few other places as well.
(and they're often sold in travel shops dedicated to tourists.)

yrs. in exile,
-s.j. bagley
Go to Top of Page

lokilokust
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  17:37:35  Show Profile  Visit lokilokust's Homepage Send lokilokust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yay for hitting 'submit reply' before i'm actually done writing my post.
with that being said, there are definitely folks that simply won't be able to take part in any online subscription program from wotc, and i do think that is a shame and perhaps wotc will look into finding alternate methods of payment from the standard credit card merchant system.
(although, even if they do, there will still be folks who are longtime buyers of 'dragon' and 'dungeon' who simply won't have access to the online material, period.)

yrs. in exile,
-s.j. bagley
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  22:23:15  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lokilokust

as to the subscription service itself, i'll give it a try.
if it's terrible after the first two or three months, then i'd probably cancel, but if it's decent enough, i'll stick with it depending on the price.

I would have thought that given this is what they consider the future, they're going to make it go with as big a bang as possible at the start to get as many people as possible to at least try it.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  22:31:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there clearly will be a problem with security for online content as well. Anything that can be copied and passed can quickly be distributed. If copy is disabled (which is posible) the material will have less vaule, but can be printed and scaned - then distributed, etc.

Those unwilling or unable to subscribe will get access to the material in time. In fact it is posible there only need to be one subscriber to distribute the content world wide fairly quickly.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2007 :  22:33:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well there clearly will be a problem with security for online content as well. Anything that can be copied and passed can quickly be distributed. If copy is disabled (which is posible) the material will have less vaule, but can be printed and scaned - then distributed, etc.

Those unwilling or unable to subscribe will get access to the material in time. In fact it is posible there only need to be one subscriber to distribute the content world wide fairly quickly.

That's a risk faced with all online content... But clearly, the presence of pdfs on RPGNow.com and Paizo.com show that this isn't a huge concern, at least in the gaming community.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2007 :  05:05:03  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do hope it's more than a downloadable PDF every month. I'd prefer a paper magazine to that.

I'm guessing it will be a new "members area" of the site with exclusive content. Hopefully this exclusive content will be lots of lore related articles by our favorite authors of the Realms.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2007 :  20:56:57  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna give it a go but I can't say what my "value vs price" is yet, I'm guessing that it's going to be a whole ton of crunch that doesn't interest me much but I'll stick it out for a couple months.

If they were to do a "tour of the Realms" with monthly articles on various regions then I would buy two or three subscriptions to let WotC know how much I love the idea ;)

Another good group of lore articles would be "Laws of the Realms" and I would just die for a good economic model (how much international trade there really is, what's likely to go internationally vs what's likely to stay at home, and all the other "this is how the world works" information)

A series on adventuring companies of the Realms would be good too. Maybe just a (detailed) NPC a month (ie. The Lord Magister of the Dock Ward of Waterdeep, a short history, character profile ect).

Phew, there's a lot I would pay money for, it's just not feats, spells and PrCs that I want (in fact, I think we're full up on all that stuff *g*)
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2007 :  22:58:47  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, they claim taking Dragon and Dungeon online will be less expensive and easier to produce, so if that turns out to be the case, I'd like to see the fracturing expand to establish a live team for each individual game world. Realms, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Eberron, etc. fans could then pick and freely choose the genre and game style they prefer.

I mean, if they're going to bother killing Dragon and Dungeon, they might as well go the rest of the way. I would.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Rory
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  01:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Rory's Homepage Send Rory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bring back the Forgotten Realms comic or something like it and they have my money.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000