Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Wizards online subscription service would you?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  16:50:34  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It'd have to be pretty impressive indeed, as my eyes have a hard time handling the stress of reading for long (5 mins +) periods of time on a computer screen and I imagine it'd be fairly pricey in terms of paper and ink to print out.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  20:54:22  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the vote of support Dargoth. I'd be happy to participate in the online whatever it becomes, but have no insight at this juncture. Like you all, I hope it turns out to be something cool with a mix of different kinds of Realmslore.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  01:07:23  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am sorry if this will sound a bit inflexible, but...

THERE'S NO WAY IN AVERNUS, DIS OR THE REST OF THE NINE HELLS I'M **PAYING** FOR **ANY** ONLINE CONTENT!

Dropping the Dragon mag is a huge mistake... In this day and age, it's amazing that some corporate folks don't see the advantages of outsourcing. Paizo was there, had produced mag after mag, and was doing a darn good job if I can say so. Whatever the reasons behind this sudden decision, it is poorly conceived, as Dragon could have been a vehicle to advertise those very reasons or shifts in direction/vision...

Shame on you WotC. At this point, I wouldn't feel bad if you tank completely, you faceless corporate gimp (one who keeps bending over repeatedly whenever the large Hoggsbro comes around...) If it wasn't for the great employees or freelance writers losing their income over such a 'tanking', I would not hesitate a second in boycotting all products under your increasingly fat trademark.

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 26 Apr 2007 05:18:49
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  01:22:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, come on now. We do not know that it is a sudden decision, and I highly doubt they'd make such a decision without considering, in detail, the ramifications of it. Do we all agree with the decision? Obviously not.

Do we know the full details of what's coming? No, we do not. And yet, people are, without having all the information or taking the time to consider the details, flying off the handle about it. In short, I see people doing the same damn thing they are complaining about WotC doing.

You know, I'm not happy about this, either. I've been reading Dragon since 1989. It's the only magazine I've read for more than a few years, and it's the only one I'm reading now. I hate the idea of not having the magazine to read when and where I want...

But I'm not going to complain about something I don't have all the info about. I'm not going to whine a decision when I don't know how or why it was made, or what the full ramifications are.

We've all disliked some of the things WotC has done over the years. But WotC is the company that is bringing us the setting we love and the game we play. And they've been doing it for years, rescuing our hobby from what could have been an untimely death.

Let's at least see what's coming before we break out the torches and pitchforks, shall we? We may not like the new incarnation of Dragon, but we should at least see what it is before we pass judgment on it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  05:25:33  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I respect your opinion Wooly, but please also respect mine. As far as I'm concerned, my pitchfork is raised way high, as I basically just lost the last real reason that kept me going to my Friendly Local Gaming Store. Probably won't matter at all in terms of my FLGS' profits, as they make more money with anime and kids trading cards, but I know the owners are old timers like me, old timers who are now letting out a heavy sigh, seeing all that good stuff go down the wayside...

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 26 Apr 2007 05:26:31
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  20:01:24  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

But I'm not going to complain about something I don't have all the info about. I'm not going to whine a decision when I don't know how or why it was made, or what the full ramifications are.

That's the problem though - we don't know what's coming, and people are not reassured by this. It seems odd to me to make such a major decision without giving more details of the reasoning behind it or the future of the product to the consumers who are their market. There would still be a lot of strong feeling about it, but if we knew more at least we could comment about things a bit better, right now we only know the bad side of things.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  00:30:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

quote:

That's the problem though - we don't know what's coming, and people are not reassured by this. It seems odd to me to make such a major decision without giving more details of the reasoning behind it or the future of the product to the consumers who are their market. There would still be a lot of strong feeling about it, but if we knew more at least we could comment about things a bit better, right now we only know the bad side of things.

Oh, I will fully agree that WotC's failure to provide any real data is a mistake. I'm just not ready to say that the entire thing is a horrible mistake. When I know enough to make an informed opinion, then I will do so. Right now, I simply don't have enough info.

And that's a lot of what I was getting at in my post. We see storm clouds gathering... But it doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Yeah, we may be in for a nasty storm and serious flooding... But the clouds could also blow over and leave us with a beautiful day. I'm just saying people need to wait to see how the weather develops before they start with the doom and gloom discussions.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  00:36:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

quote:

Oh, I will fully agree that WotC's failure to provide any real data is a mistake. I'm just not ready to say that the entire thing is a horrible mistake. When I know enough to make an informed opinion, then I will do so. Right now, I simply don't have enough info.

And that's a lot of what I was getting at in my post. We see storm clouds gathering... But it doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Yeah, we may be in for a nasty storm and serious flooding... But the clouds could also blow over and leave us with a beautiful day. I'm just saying people need to wait to see how the weather develops before they start with the doom and gloom discussions.

Spoken like a man that lives in Florida . . .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  02:02:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

Spoken like a man that lives in Florida . . .

Well, it is true that I've had to dodge a few hurricanes... But it is a similar circumstance. We get a hurricane that looks like it may come this way, and people start panicking and battening down the hatches -- even if it's only a Cat 1 that's days out, and we're barely in its projected path. And, in those situations, I generally wait until we know for certain where it's going before I get concerned about it. More than once, I've seen the panic be totally misplaced -- storms generally don't hit this area (2004 being a quite notable exception).

Go to Top of Page

Rory
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  03:17:15  Show Profile  Visit Rory's Homepage Send Rory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That’s close to how I feel too. There is one thing that’s really been bothering and I almost wanted to start another thread. I’m not saying this to jiggle my own jewelry but for the last few years I have wondered how on earth Dragon Magazine profits with an audience Wizards seems to be intentionally compressing. Make no mistake I love the fact that Wizards publishes material that the average Joe would look at like its Mayan hieroglyphics. They also have a product that’s cool if, especially to the average young male. I don’t see any effort to go out and get those new fans. You aren’t going to get new fans with source books and novels. You need comic books, cartoons, movies, video games, clothes, and stuff like that.

With the exception of one PSP game and NWNs 2 there isn’t much rep in video games, even with video games its nothing compared to what they had with interplay and that was no better than the gold box days, the movie was a failure, the comic book was short lived, the stores are gone and now the magazine. I don’t like to be presumptuous because I’m working with a few facts and my own impressions but I have to say I’m not sugar coating things anymore and I’m not giving Wizards the benefit of the doubt. When it comes to going out and getting new fans they are weak and the fact that dragon magazine will no longer be on store shelves looks like an example and a reflection of their weakness.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  20:43:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>Spoken like a man that lives in Florida . . .

Well, I'm from Picayune, MS.. where the eye of hurricane Katrina passed over my house. Some people waited till the last second there before reacting too, because they kept saying it wasn't going to hit and it wasn't going to be a category 5. Boy, it sure messed over some people who weren't prepared for the world of mess coming there way.

That being said, I understand people railing at WotC for not revealing some more information. Quite frankly, my initial thoughts are that I won't pay for any online content either. I've yet to hear anything about what the content will be like, and I stare at a computer screen at work and when I play MMORPG's or my tv when I'm watching my shows. If I don't want to go blind, I need to stop staring at screens. However, I'm backlogged on my novels and backlogged on my issues of dungeon magazine, so I guess I'll catch up there for a while. And when those run out, guess I'll start going outside and gardening or building something.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2007 :  20:00:34  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

What, pay for online info?

It is unlikely offering everything they had over a few years would not be good enough for me to provide payment information, that could be "misplaced"

I'm inclined to agree. I don't buy every issue of Dungeon or Dragon, but when I want an issue, I'll take a long trip to the nearest game store or buy a copy on eBay, because I want hard copy to consult before or during a game. I can hardly say, "Excuse me, players, I just realized that I need to look something up, so I have to leave the room , boot up my computer, and then find what I need." Boy, oh boy! Doesn't that just lend itself to smooth game management! Nothing says, "I'm a competent DM who knows what he's doing," quite like leaving the game for ten or fifteen minutes to look up one bloody fact.

I have enough difficulty looking up specific facts in the (almost all unindexed) books from Wizards; I'm not going to stop the game and go into another room to look up anything -- I'll just make up something on the spot rather than (A) appear unprepared and (B) prolonging a break in the rhythm of the game.

I'm disinclined to pay online, too. It's too easy for hackers to break into corporate files and steal customer information (as happened last month to T. J. Maxx).

As for Paizo -- without the two magazines, what are they offering they we can't buy from some other vendor or from a product's manufacturer?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000