Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Index?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  20:50:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anything like this exist? An all-inclusive index on where to find info on ANYTHING mentioned in Realmslore?

I get the feeling that the Sage has at least the beginnings of one tucked away somewhere, but are there any online resources like this? If WotC provided something along these lines it might go a long way in appeasing feelings about the Dragon debacle, and be a great way to introduce folks to online resources (hint, hint)

I'm not talking about Wikepedia or the FR Wiki, I just want an index so I can look things up myself, with maybe a single line of non-descriptive text to let us know WHAT said item is. for instance -

Ss'kowlyn'raa - Small town of Serpentfolk located in the southern reaches of the Forest of Wyrms, SK pg.130 (and any other references)

Does something like that exist, or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

And if it doesn't, would the folks here at CK be willing to host such a thing, and have volunteers each work on a different book? I would assume that a project like that would be too much for anyone person (although Bryan James could probably handle it, given several lifetimes).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  20:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Funny ye should mention this, Markustay, as a project was started not that long ago here at Candlekeep. Work has already been done by a number of scribes, with only a short time to go until it's in a reasonable state to launch.

Watch this space as we will have the initial entries for this project available this summer. I'll be looking to capture slaves recruit scribes to aid in this venture in the near future too

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  01:04:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, Big Al is definitely on the mark [though he's glossing over the fact that some of the contributors, like me for example, have fallen behind on their submissions. Hehe...]

And while I do have access to a personal database of Realmslore that I like to use on occasion, the main bulk of that information will hopefully find an eventual home here at Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  04:08:20  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ss'kowlyn'raa [top]
RotSS: 58
Connections:
Coiled Cabal
Forest of Wyrms

RotSS stands for Requeim of the Shadow Serpent.

Not complete (missing lion share of 3rd edition stuff), but right here at Candlekeep (http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/frindex/start.htm) as well as a downloadable (including a java interactive one on the site linked in my sig).

EvilKnight

Danali Index
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  04:26:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven Schend has mentioned that when he was working at TSR, such a thing was considered... But it would have taken a team of people working for a year to pull it off. Now, with the amount of lore out there? It's damn near an impossible undertaking.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  10:03:30  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Steven Schend has mentioned that when he was working at TSR, such a thing was considered... But it would have taken a team of people working for a year to pull it off. Now, with the amount of lore out there? It's damn near an impossible undertaking.

Well met

Indeed, and what a shame WoolySteven are refering to the FR Encyclopedia series of tomes. This was shelved (pardon the pun) due to expected production costs. However, with the advent of the internet, who knows what may happen

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  14:16:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Watch this space as we will have the initial entries for this project available this summer. I'll be looking to capture slaves recruit scribes to aid in this venture in the near future too
You have no idea how THRILLED I am to here this! Sign me up for compiling the data in ANY book. I have almost all of the sourcebooks from every edition, and a good chunk of the novels.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

thats funny that you should say this, because I actually had the ego to think I could do it eventually.

I have since had to laugh at myself for that rather silly notion. I decided to find every single mention of Drow/dark Elves in FR, and I'm still digging them up two months later. Its exhaustive, and I'm only trying to sift out one very tiny specific piece of data.

However, A much more realistic approach would be for people to sign up for individual books, both source and novel. We would still need one or two VERY dedicated people to compile it all, but at least the footwork could be spread around between a hundred people or so. Even with that many helpers though, I figure most folks would have to tackle 2-3 sources because of all the novels alone.

Just let me know if you guys want any help, I already have the rough beginnings of several lists going, like racial groups, empires and kingdoms, Drow locations, etc...

Not that I'm altruistic or anything; I want to see something like this for purely selfish reasons.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Apr 2007 14:18:37
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  15:20:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Big, big, undertaking. The thought of a comprehensive FR Encyclopedia sounds awesome but the man hours involved would be crazy. As someone who's done some very hard yards in the last two weeks on a different but similar project, I think that it would consume someone continuously for many, many years. But don't let me stop you. Just send through a copy when you're done.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  16:16:34  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Forgotten Realms Wiki

I would hope that Candlekeep doesn't start their own Wiki. Since those that run the above Wiki endeavor to keep its content canon only, and accurate, it would fall well in line with the method that the Candlekeep administrators would pursue. I believe with the assistance of the scribes here at Candlekeep, the a wiki would be able to reach amazing levels.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  19:43:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I mentioned in my OP that that is exactly what I am NOT looking for. I find both the Wiki and Wikipedia useful at times, but I want more of an all-inclusive Index, with little or no information, just a simple list of all source references and the corresponding page numbers.

For DMing the other two are fine, but now that I am writing stuff (unofficially) I really need to get my information "right from the horse's mouth", so to speak.

But you folks are doing a wondeful job as well.

@Krash - Not really that bad, if there are many volunteers. As I mentioned in my OP, I had the 'big brass ones' to think I might one day "knock it out". Laughable now, in hindsight, but indexing a single volume should be simple enough. It's the person(s) that has to COMPILE everyone else's work that will have it rough.

Did I mention I am HUGE Realms fan, who is stuck on (probably permanent) disability, with ZERO social life (thanks to a recent divorce) and nothing but time on my hands, usually filled with hours upon hours of nothing to do but re-read all my books and re-capture my HS geekiness?

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Apr 2007 19:46:00
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  20:35:57  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an index? That should not be that hard, WotC has provided feat list, skill list, spell lists that I recall. The lists actually contained more info then you are seeking, the ,foo> , source and a brief description was provided - it appears you do not want the breif description.

Now putting spells, feats, skills in a single Index clearly is posible, but one would at least require a descriptor to ease search of source material.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  22:16:52  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When a Wiki entry is done right, it has the references to the information which would include the page numbers of the source.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  22:28:44  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I might be pursuaded to do the FR drow stuff, though I would like to know what it should look like, i.e. some samples would be fine. The Drow NPCs have already been placed online.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Kalevala
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  23:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Kalevala's Homepage Send Kalevala a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@OP: Are you looking for something like this? http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/frindex/start.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000