Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Bane, Bhaal, Myrkul and the bargain with Jergal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  22:03:04  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a question about Bane, Bhaal & Myrkul and how they became deities. I know they got their divine status from Jergal who took a step aside but what exactly happened? Which circumstances happened that Jergal gave so much power to a few mortals? And is there anything known about the mortal life of the three evil gods,

Secondly, is there a novel or so about those events? Or a place where I can find those information?

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  22:33:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, there's no novel. Since these are gods we are talking about, we don't know exactly what happened. I know the computer game Baldur's Gate has an in-game book that tells the tale, but that could just be a myth (and not necessarily fact).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  23:01:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul challenged Jergal. Jergal, tired of doing the deific gig, made them play a game of knucklebones for his portfolios.

It's not in a novel, but it is described on page 37 of Faiths & Avatars. If it wasn't for the fact that it's a half-page of text, I'd post it here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Apr 2007 23:02:21
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  23:08:22  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wasn't it something about that Malar wanted to get it and Jergal then threw him a curveball playing Knucklebones with the 'triad' while Malar was out running?

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  23:19:10  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

wasn't it something about that Malar wanted to get it and Jergal then threw him a curveball playing Knucklebones with the 'triad' while Malar was out running?

Yup - they started with bowling lich skulls and then Malar wanted them to start over with him included, so they played knucklebones while Malar was chasing after the skulls.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  00:44:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also a few more details in the section for the Jathiman Dagger in Faith & Pantheons on pg. 169. The ascension of Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul (as well as some Borem details) also come from Faiths & Pantheons -- the Mezeketh Isle map key section in "Places of Worship" and the sidebar on pg. 170.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Apr 2007 00:45:05
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6652 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  15:05:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is yet more to be revealed of the Three.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  15:11:33  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Is this a tease about things to come in the near future or a general comment? The words NDA seem to hang in the air and curiosity is felt.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  16:26:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Tis likely to do with tidbits we'll learn in Grand History. It's a significant event in Realms history after all, and being a divine matter means it'll likely provide a lot of healthy speculation for a historical resource...

Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  04:13:03  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it wasn't even mentioned in the Grand History of the Realms. =(

They really need to write a novel about those three.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  07:13:15  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though it may not be canon, the description from Baldur's Gate is quite good:
quote:
In ages past there was but one god of strife, death, and the dead, and he was known as Jergal, Lord of the End of Everything. Jergal fomented and fed on the discord among mortals and powers alike. When beings slew each other in their quest for power or in their hatred, he welcomed them into his shadowy kingdom of eternal gloom. As all things died, everything came to him eventually, and over time he built his power into a kingdom unchallenged by any other god. Eventually, however, he grew tired of his duties for he knew them too well.

Without challenge there is nothing, and in nothingness there is only gloom. In such a state, the difference between absolute power and absolute powerlessness is undetectable. During this dark era, there arose three powerful mortals - Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul - who lusted after the power Jergal wielded. The trio forged an unholy pact, agreeing that they would dare to seek such ultimate power or die in the attempt. Over the length and breadth of the Realms they strode, seeking powerful magic and spells and defying death at every turn. No matter what monster they confronted or what spells they braved, the three mortals emerged unscathed at every turn. Eventually the trio destroyed one of the Seven Lost Gods, and they each seized a portion of his divine essence for themselves. The trio then journeyed into the Gray Waste and sought out the Castle of Bone.

Through armies of skeletons, legions of zombies, hordes or noncorporeal undead, and a gauntlet of liches they battled. Eventually they reached the object of their lifelong quest - the Bone Throne. "I claim this throne of evil," shouted Bane the tyrant. ''I'll destroy you before you can raise a finger," threatened Bhaal the assassin. ''And I shall imprison your essence for eternity," promised Myrkul the necromancer. Jergal arose from his throne with a weary expression and said, "The Throne is yours. I have grown weary of this empty power. Take it if you wish - I promise to serve and guide you as your seneschal until you grow comfortable with the position."

Before the stunned trio could react, the Lord of the Dead continued, "who among you shall rule?" The trio immediately fell to fighting amongst themselves while Jergal looked on with indifference. When eventually it appeared that either they would all die of exhaustion or battle on for an eternity, the Lord of the End of Everything intervened. "After all you have sacrificed, would you come away with nothing? Why don't you divide the portfolios of the office and engage in a game of skill for them?" asked Jergal. Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul considered the god's offer and agreed. Jergal took the heads of his three most powerful liches and gave them to the trio that they would compete by bowling the skulls. Each mortal rolled a skull across the Gray Waste, having agreed that the winner would be he who bowled the farthest.

Malar the Beastlord arrived to visit Jergal at this moment. After quickly ascertaining that the winner of the contest would get all of Jergal's power, he chased off after the three skulls to make sure that the contest would be halted until he had a chance to participate for part of the prize. Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul again fell to fighting, as it was obvious their sport was ruined, and again Jergal intervened. "Why don't you allow Lady Luck to decide so you don't have to share with the Beast?"

The trio agreed, and Jergal broke off his skeletal finger bones and gave them to the players. When Malar returned form chasing the skulls, he found that the trio had just finished a game of knucklebones. Bane cried out triumphantly, "As winner, I choose to rule for all eternity as the ultimate tyrant. I can induce hatred and strife at my whim, and all will bow down before me while in my kingdom." Myrkul, who had won second place, declared, "But I choose the dead, and by doing so I truly win, because all you are lord over, Bane, will eventually be mine. All things must die - even gods."

Bhaal, who finished third, demurred, "I choose death, and it is by my hand that all that you rule Lord Bane will eventually pass to Lord Myrkul. Both of you must pay honor to me and obey my wishes, since I can destroy your kingdom Bane, by murdering your subjects, and I can starve your kingdom, Myrkul by staying my hand." Malar growled in frustration, but could do nothing, and yet again only the beasts were left for him. And Jergal merely smiled, for he had been delivered.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  09:17:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, it is canon, since it's pretty much taken, word for word, from the reference Wooly noted back in April '07 -- from pg. 37 of Faiths & Avatars.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  09:23:57  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

this bears a bad Guess who is back omen...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  12:28:35  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Actually, it is canon, since it's pretty much taken, word for word, from the reference Wooly noted back in April '07 -- from pg. 37 of Faiths & Avatars.

But isn't the information put in story form in a sidebar? I always took those to be more or less mythological tales more than the definite truth about what happened.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6652 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  13:20:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At that time I was referring to the tidbit by Eric Boyd in GHotR.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  14:04:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

But isn't the information put in story form in a sidebar? I always took those to be more or less mythological tales more than the definite truth about what happened.

Yes, it does feature in a side-bar entry. But I meant "canon" in terms of information from an official Realms source, rather than just something made-up for the Baldur's Gate CRPG.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Sep 2009 14:05:51
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  14:36:02  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't find anything in the original GHotR about their rise.

It is kinda annoying that nothing is written about these three as mortals. That would be an awesome story.

Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2009 :  06:03:39  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

I can't find anything in the original GHotR about their rise.

It is kinda annoying that nothing is written about these three as mortals. That would be an awesome story.

Fragments of lore about their time as mortals is the best your going to get. As Krash already mentioned, Grand History p.46 describes the Dark Three's battle against Borem. Realmslore: Ironfang Keep describes their subjugation of Hask, Voice of Hargut. And finally, Dungeon 170: Monument of the Ancients reveals the Dark Three's campaign against Maram of the Great Spear.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2009 :  06:07:20  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please, I would like if the FR fans forget it. Knucklebones? WTF!

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2009 :  08:02:25  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:

Yes, it does feature in a side-bar entry. But I meant "canon" in terms of information from an official Realms source, rather than just something made-up for the Baldur's Gate CRPG.

On the subject of those sidebars, there's another one I noticed while flickiong through Faiths and Avatars earlier today, on page 159 -- the Valley of the Gods. Does anyone know if this is just a red herring, or is it actually on to something?

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."

Edited by - Sandro on 27 Sep 2009 08:03:27
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2009 :  10:45:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

On the subject of those sidebars, there's another one I noticed while flickiong through Faiths and Avatars earlier today, on page 159 -- the Valley of the Gods. Does anyone know if this is just a red herring, or is it actually on to something?
As it is, I think the Valley of the Gods is a legend, rather a geographical fact.

Go to Top of Page

Strife026
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  01:36:43  Show Profile  Visit Strife026's Homepage Send Strife026 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to tack on a little extra info as to why Jergal decided to give the Three his power. Its mentioned in the Champions of Ruin supplement, under the Kezef the Chaos Hound entry pg 145, that Jergal's regret and the backlash in creating the hound during a burst of rage is also reason for him to give the Three his portfolios and why he still serves as seneschal for the God of Death.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  20:44:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jergal created the Hound eh?

Interesting indeed.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2010 :  22:24:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't that mean Jergal is Loki?

Or perhaps... Loki was just a world-specific aspect of Jergal.

At first it doesn't seem to fit, but Loki has been both good and bad - he works to create strife (part of Jergal's original portfolio), and seems to be the one Asgardian that has the least problem with changing both form and sex, so he is something of a consummate shape-changer.

Loki is also the 'father of Hel' - the Norse goddess of death. Both have apparently created the position of 'God of death' for others.

Another thing; although Jergal hasn't seen a lot of camera-time, what little we have seen of him indicates that he has a very dry and subtle sense of humor about him - he is amused by the distress and bad situations others put themselves in, and likes to cause further strife (note the story of the Dark Three above). Tell me while reading that myth you couldn't picture Loki in Jergal's place (in fact, he might even be a better fit in that story then Jergal was, given his actions).

And two last points to support this rather odd theory - Loki was known to be a gambler (knuclebones?), and in RW scholarly circles there is some debate as to exactly WHAT Loki is - Asgardian, Vanir, or some type of Primordial Giant (Jotun). At times he appears to be part of the Norse Pantheon, and at others, is outside of it and working at odds to them.

Perhaps Jergal is the harbinger of Armageddon (Ragnarok) - he is a part of all pantheons, and none of them, awaiting that time when he can finally bring an end to the reign of deities. He is doom itself, the embodiment of entropy, and 'Strife' is merely a means to an end.

Oh, and for whatever it is worth, for some reason (before the 3e 'Orcish' depiction of him), I had always mentally used the picture of the Finnish God Hiisi (from the 1e DD) when I was imagining what Bane was like. Not saying there is any connection there, but that picture just screams 'Bane' to me.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Sep 2010 22:27:22
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  05:21:22  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mark, how do you think Gray Richardson's thoughts on Jergal fit in with your speculations?

quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

I think the timeline works. Here's how: Eric Boyd had said the trifold sun portfolio of dawn, day and dusk rotates in cycles, where one is always ascendant, another waning, and the 3rd has set, hidden "below the horizon" so to speak. For a brief while, when a portfolio sets, the remaining god is at his zenith, before the next god arises and the previously ascending god begins to wane.

I think Eric described it as looking at a rotating 4 sided die edge on, where you can see at most two faces, but never 3, with one face getting bigger as it rotates towards you and the other shrinking as it rotates away, then for a moment all you can see is one face as the receding face moves behind and then the hidden face rotates into view.

It is important to note that at the end of each cycle the bearer of the portfolio always "sets"--either dies or transforms into the new version. This is unavoidable.

Okay, so I think Jergal saw the writing on the wall; he saw that Amaunator was waning and Jergal was about to peak, and although it is hinted that Jergal was bored or suffering from ennui, my theory is rather that he was simply afraid; Jergal didn't want to exit gracefully when his dusk portfolio's time came around.

So Jergal "opted out"; he played hot potato or "tag, your it!" with the Dusk portfolio by gifting it to Myrkul. Like in "The Ring" where you can avoid your death by getting someone else to watch the video tape.

Grand History of the Realms indicates that Jergal surrendered his portfolio circa the Year of Boiling Moats in -359 DR, about 20 years before the Fall of Netheril. By doing so, he ensured that Myrkul would have the portfolio and ascend to the zenith of Dusk in the place of Jergal. Arguably, the Fall of Netheril WAS the height of Dusk and the setting of Amaunator's Day.

Not sure how long Dusk was at its zenith, but certainly the subsequent Fall of Jhaamdath was part of that period. Myrkul got to see the sun set on 2 fantastically powerful civilizations, and the collapse of civilization that led to the Chondathan diaspora, not to mention anarchic successor states that needed the Procession of Justice led by Tyr to restore order to a devastated land. That is some major dusk if you ask me! I think it safe to say that Dusk was in full bloom from around -339 DR at the Fall of Netheril, until around -238 DR when Tyr's Procession of Justice starts to clean things up and pacify Southern Faerûn.

But when did Lathander come along? We know Lathander was revered in Athalantar which was founded in 183 DR. He might have been around for awhile prior to that, but we know he couldn't have appeared much later. We don't know when Amaunator died, but seems like the Fall of Netheril was his likely demise, mythologically speaking. In Faiths & Avatars, I believe, it says something to the effect that Amaunator lingered for almost exactly 1000 years after the fall, before he died from lack of worship, which doesn't quite make sense, since Lathander was on the scene. But we could surmise that it was 1000 years before he was forgotten and his body turned up in the Astral Plane, but he really died for all intents and purposes in the Year of Sundered Webs.

Or alternatively we could postulate some sort of time-zone metaphor, where even though the sun is set in New York, it is still afternoon in California, such that Lathander had "risen" in the Heartlands, but his worship had not traveled North yet to the geographic sphere where Netheril had been to supplant the dwindling faith in Amaunator until some centuries later.

But the way it all shakes out, it seems pretty clear that Jergal dodged a bullet. All he had to do was lay low for awhile. Now that Lathander has left the building and Amaunator is back, Jergal is free to reclaim the dusk portfolio (which I think may still lie within the Crown of Horns with the remaining essence of Myrkul.) Or maybe Jergal really is done with all that. But that leaves Myrkul free to make a comeback, or some new guy, perhaps Cyric, or Kelemvor to try and take up the Dusk mantle.

But if you look at it in this way, the timeline still tracks very well.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Gray, you're very close to some of Ed's root (and NDA) lore on Jergal.
Bwoohahahaha, and so forth.
love,
THO

Any ideas?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 14 Sep 2010 05:21:54
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  07:22:48  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ohhh...it makes perfect sense to me...and I agree with it nearly 100%.

My take on Jergal is that he is a true villain...and his patience is the patience of the Spellweavers...his planning is somewhat alien and hidden from the thinking of most humanoids.

More when the project on The Ride is finished!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  14:09:07  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

Worth thinking about?

Nergal, the Babylonian god, whose name is uncomfortably close to Jergal, obviously, held power over death/ the underworld, but also aspects of the sun, notably the high sun which would kill. More like At'ar the Merciless, which, from FR13, we know is a female aspect of Aumanator.

Nergal=Jergal, nice, I never noticed. /Maybe move this post to Malar, fey, and the elves debate, that turned into finding parallels in old RW pantheons and Faerunian ones.../

I thought At'ar was Lathander? At least in FRCS 3rd edition...

Gray's post is wonderful, I'll possibly save it somewhere.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  13:17:33  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Oh, and for whatever it is worth, for some reason (before the 3e 'Orcish' depiction of him), I had always mentally used the picture of the Finnish God Hiisi (from the 1e DD) when I was imagining what Bane was like. Not saying there is any connection there, but that picture just screams 'Bane' to me.

http://cs.joensuu.fi/~thlaine/research/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/hiisi.jpg

That Hiisi?

I always pictured an armor clad black evil tyrant looking guy.

Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  13:24:04  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormyrian farmer with a pitchfork # 6

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  14:49:13  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

http://cs.joensuu.fi/~thlaine/research/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/hiisi.jpg

That Hiisi?

Time for another cup of coffee. I thought the person was holding a garden rake.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  21:24:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That Hiisi?

Right...

Like THIS Hiisi

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Mark, how do you think Gray Richardson's thoughts on Jergal fit in with your speculations?
Any ideas?
My thoughts?

... could fill an encyclopedia.

I think Jergal, along with Nergal, and perhaps Loki and a thousand-thousand others are incarnations of some inconceivable Elder God of Entopy (Ergal?). Avatars of such an unimaginable being would be at least as powerful as deities, perhaps more so, and I dub them 'Ubertars' (my new word!)

This being is so insanely powerful that it, like all other 'Drækons' (my word for that god-level above primordials), can not enter the Prime Material directly, so it must send out avatars (those 'Ubertars') of deity power level to each crystal sphere/dimension.

So Gray's theory... and whatever THO was referring to... still works, as does my own about Loki. Jergal is merely the spellweaver variant of this Elder God of Entropy (Dusk is VERY appropriate for a being who's desire is to bring about the 'end of all things'), and was probably introduced to the Realms through them from whatever plane they hail from.

I surmise Toril's own Entropic deity was either destroyed and absorbed by another deity (Shar, most likely), or was one of the beings banished to Abeir when the world was split apart (leaving an opening on Toril, which Jergal filled).

If you've been following a lot of my cosmology musings, you would know that I happen to think nearly all deities are just shards of higher beings that have been split-off, which is how I explain all the redundancy and similar gods: Tiamet and Takhisis, Bahamut and Marduk, even Jupiter and Zeus - all cultural and/or Spheric/Planer variations on a single Over-being's Avatars. These beings may send a numbers of these 'Ubertars' to a world dependent upon the amount of worship received from that region (which ties in nicely to DvR and the number of avatars a deity gets, which is dependent upon his power which is in-turn dependent upon their followers).

On some worlds a god - Tyr for instance - may have a higher 'rank' then on another, which is why the limit to the number of Avatars changes. On a world or within a Plane where a divine being has NO followers, he can only exist for a short time, maintaining his own essence through shear force of will (and at great expenditure of power).

It gets pretty complicated - occasionally, usually through interloping, two different aspects of the same divine being end up on the same world. In fact, this happens all the time, and is even more prevalent in the Realms, with all its portals to 'everywhere'. This is how we get both Marduk and Bahamut - Bahamut already existed in the realms, brought-in with the dragons, but Marduk emigrated from Earth with the Mulan pantheons.

Two things must happen at that point - either one of the aspects absorbs the other manifestation, or another deity all together attacks and absorbs the manifestation (granting that deity a temporary 'power surge'). Therefor, Marduk and Bahamut were NOT two separate gods in the Realms, except for a very short time, even though they were different before the interloping occurred. The moment a new aspect of an Elder God entered the sphere, the energies involved in worship (which I use the term 'Elan') are split, so that the god-in-question must either function as two separate, lower-level entities (which almost never happens), or must combine in order to maintain at the higher, conjoined level of power. I assume marduk (willingly) joined with the realms variant Bahamut soon after arrival.

There are an amazing amount of rules the universe must conform to, in order to maintain the 'status quo', and even the highest order of beings must adhere to them. However, there are just as many 'loop holes' in the cosmic order as there are in the real world, and many evil beings find ways to 'hide' parts of their essences in lower-order beings, so as to 'cheat' the system (which may have been why Kazgoroth was allowed to remain autonomous - if he became just another Avatar of Malar, Malar would have lost one of its other Avatars to maintain the balance). It's also how Mystra is able to 'stash' part of her essence within mortals, or how Bane did much the same with his progeny. Technically, Mystra should have been a MUCH higher DvR level (Overgod, at least), but by 'sharing' her power she was able to work-around the normal restrictions on cosmic beings.

Sometimes I think I think WAY too much about stuff that will actually NEVER have a place within my games.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Sep 2010 21:56:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000