Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Naval Battle of Lisen Sands
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  20:09:25  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
1346: Naval Battle of Lisen Sands.

Does anyone know more about this?

That's occur on the River Lis, but what else?

Who are the fighters?

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  20:39:35  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What source did you find it in Asharak? I'm afraid I don't even know the River Lis off the top of my head

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7976 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  21:13:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The River Lis connects the Moonsea with the Dragon Reach (Sea of Fallen Stars) - here's a map.

This wiki claims the Lis is a shallow, swampy river.

I'd recommend looking through FR0, FRA, FRC3, Ruins of Adventure, Ruins of Zhentil Keep, and Pirates of the Fallen Stars. Maybe even the Forgotten Realms Atlas, Volo's Guide to the Dalelands (download), Elminster's Ecologies: Cormanthor, and Cormanthyr: Lost Empire of the Elves (download). I don't know if the Lis is actually described in any of them. I suspect this area may have been "changed" by the Spellplague (but I'm not sure); if so, it may not be mentioned in post-Spellplague canon.

Where is this battle described, which book(s), Asharak?

[Edit: Je peux comprendre un peu de Français, Ash. Un plus petite peu. (Québécois, vraiment.)]

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 06 Dec 2010 22:07:39
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2010 :  23:38:24  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Battle of Lisen Sands is mentioned in the timelines (the first mention I remember of it was in the timeline in the 2E campaign set. Off the top of my head, it was never described in published lore that I have access to (which does not include Polyhedron magazine).

That would not be abnormal, as 1346 is outside the timeframes of any of the published lore (FR2 was set before 1346, all 1E was 1357 or later).

The participants were never described, but given the location, smart money says that Mulmaster was probably involved, as that city has a history of trying to control the river Lis.

This might be a good question to put to Ed in the Thread of Ed .
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  03:49:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Lis is indeed swampy, by clever captains (and their pilots) can steer even a ship with a fairly deep draft through it, if one knows the way through the myriad treacherous sandbars.

Marco Volo takes a trip down the Lis in Once Around the Realms, and is accosted by pirates.

As for the battle, I don't ever recall reading about it.

EDIT: In 1306, Mulmaster reduced the city of Hulburg to rubble during the Moonsea War - I doubt the naval engagement was part of that war, which wouldn't have lasted that long, I imagine. The city was again pounded by Zhents and Orcs in 1347 - one year after Lisen Sands. Perhaps the war was still going on after all (and I find it strange that Hulburg was reduced to ruins so many times that by the end of 3e it was the ruins of ruined ruins... and Rich Baker set his recent series in the thriving city of Hulburg). I guess the Spellplague 'fixed' as much as it destroyed.

There was also another (unnamed) city at the mouth of the Lis, that was destroyed "a century ago" - it may have something to do with that, but I doubt it giving the years involved (unless you take that as something said in the 4e era, but it wasn't meant that when when written).

The High Blade of Mulmaster - Selfaril - took the throne by killing his predecessor in 1348 DR - that would be a mere two years after the naval battle, so it may have been part of an on-going 'civil war' in Mulmaster.

EDIT2: Interesting stuff in that old source (The Moonsea); especially some of the plot-hooks in the back of the Player's guide (I don't think I ever read through it before, strangely enough). Whoever was working on the Thar/Moonsea project should take note (I'm definitely getting a Bane-as-Sauron vibe from the Dark Alliance stuff; the 'black Sails' remind me a lot of Tolkien's Black Númenóreans).

EDIT3 Coincidentally (or perhaps not so coincidentally), that was the same year Azoun chartered the knights of Myth Drannor - the first year Ed's home group began adventuring.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Dec 2010 05:53:28
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  16:08:01  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time to ask Ed about this, in his thread. I have vague memories of this being discussed in a hallway at a Milwaukee-era GenCon (vague because I didn't take notes, darn it), and Ed saying then it was part of the struggle between Mulmaster and the other Moonsea ports (e.g. Zhentil Keep, Melvaunt, etc.) for control of the River Lis, but that both swamp monsters AND elves were involved in the fighting, because both of those groups quite rightly (Ed's opinion) were of the opinion that the Lis and its swamps were THEIR territory, not human. Barges and shallow-draft ships went up and down the Lis, aided by magic and sometimes hampered by magic (e.g. cast by the elves).
Anyway, that's what I remember, but Ed obviously knows all about this (hardly surprising, being as he created everything I've mentioned, probably including the battle).
BB
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  18:11:16  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Time to ask Ed about this, in his thread.

I do it.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  19:07:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most people seem to forget that that Cormanthor crosses the Lis - the river actually runs through the old Elven nation.

The Flooded Forest is part of the greater wood, as far as the elves are concerned (and so was the Border forest and Spiderhaunt, in the past).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  14:52:02  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by Baleful Avatar

I remember Ed saying something about it in an "Elminster's Everwinking Eye" column in Polyhedron. He covered Mulmaster in issues 64 through 68 (I think), but the River Lis fighting was mentioned in a brief news and rumors (the "Current Clack" Ed included at the end of some EEE columns, and may have been in a different Poly issue entirely.
Anyone who owns all of the Poly issues able to help?

This post over there at Ed's thread remembered me of the EEE columns. Lost the Polyhedron issues but lucky me have scanned them years ago as *.gifs for better gameplay use.
After a quick look, the River Lis region was mentioned at "The Moonsea Shores" article.
Will post the relevant paragraph this evening, if it is ok.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2010 :  18:27:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dewaint

Will post the relevant paragraph this evening, if it is ok.

As long as it's not too much text, and is properly cited.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Dec 2010 18:28:02
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2010 :  13:50:34  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no worries

Was a bit surpised to have found only one tidbit of lore related to the River Lis Region:

Moonsea Shores :
"... From Mirrormoss Bay (to the elves, Neirthoura, "Stars-In-The-Water"), where the Dragon Reach narrows to its northern end, ships of even deep draft can sail up the broad river Lis (to the elves, Nuathlis) to Lisenmouth, and to the deeper, darker waters of the Moonsea. ..."

Am afraid nothing about the Naval Battle of Lisen Sands

Maybe there are more EEE's that I don't have knowledge of ?!
Everwinking Eye copies I actually possess:
* As Cold as Bare Fingers
* A Visit to Melvaunt
* Moonsea Shores
* Sevenecho, Then and Now
* Inside Thentia
* Temples, Cults And Idle Gossip in Thentia
* The Pride of The North
* Adventures in Zhentil Keep

Am wondering now if more columns were made public at Polyhedron?

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2010 :  15:00:25  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
likely that the local pirates were involved, or it was a part of Lashan's raids (too early?), or that stagskulled lich raised the ramshackle ghostships from Vastar
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2010 :  10:17:33  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
from the top of my head Lashan's raids were aound 1355/56 DR.

Agreed, most likely pirates were involved.

But maybe it was a clash with Elves? I mean 1344 The Retreat from Cormanthor was decided, a year after the Battle of Lisen Sands. And it is known that Sembia tried many times to start ruthless activities against the elves. Maybe the battle of Lisen Sands has its origin here?
Sembia hired pirates vessels to raid on Elves encampments or traderoutes, and Mulmaster geting nervous?

BTW: We had the Battle of River Rising about 1340 DR with Sembians, dalelands and a Cult of the Dragon Cell.

Just a bit of brainstorming

Edited by - Dewaint on 10 Dec 2010 11:58:35
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7976 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2010 :  14:30:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't find any real mention of the River Lis in any of the sources I cited above. A Grand Tour of the Realms (Faerûn) and The Moonsea do describe some activities along the Lis, largely concerning lucrative trade and piracy across it (mostly forged metals, raw minerals and ores, gemstones, exotic furs, and slaves), and the significance of pastoral Elmwood as an occasionally garrisoned waystation port. But very little of a military nature is described, nothing indicating any great naval battles across this river. Mulmaster and Hillsfar and Zhentil Keep have historically maintained dominant naval presences (and naval conflicts) throughout the Moonsea; most piracy is indeed carried out under the flags of these cities, pirates from the Sea of Fallen Stars are rarely seen in the Moonsea region.

This seems strange, as this river should be as strategically significant as the Panama or Suez (well, maybe not quite that important, but I see the mouth of this river being an ideal place to position a city like Istanbul) - I'd think militant city-states above and below the Lis would make some effort to establish real fortifications along this riverway so they might control (or tax) all traffic across it. No doubt there's always a pile of military ships to accost vessels entering the Moonsea.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 10 Dec 2010 14:42:10
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2010 :  18:59:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strange, perhaps, but Ed set it up this way, Arik (that is, the Lis having swampy surroundings [so no large fortifications possible on or near it], and shallow, many ever-shifting channels) to keep overland caravan trade heavy and vital throughout the region, because it makes for so many more adventuring possibilities (without taking away the naval ones, and the Mulmaster vs. Calaunt or any/all of the Moonsea cities ones, either, because ships DO get through).
Ed works all of this out, which is why the published Realms always "works best" when designers and writers work with Ed. He planned it all...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7976 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2010 :  19:45:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. Thanx for your input, THO/Ed. I appreciate the Ed's logic, it is well thought out and consistent, a fair implementation of a good idea. It does make overland/caravan adventuring more vital.

Though I can't help quipping in that a city (or indeed, two cities on opposite banks or even underwater) attempting to maintain a military/economic hold across the Lis would provide plenty of juicy adventuring opportunities as well. Do the players submit their vessels to Lissian inspection, confiscation, paperwork, delays, and taxation or do they dare to run the gauntlet? How difficult and risky (and expensive) would it be to hire a smuggler willing to take them or their contraband/valuable cargo upriver? Would the Moonsea cities ally in the cause of preventing Sembia (Yhaunn), Calaunt, or Tantras from attempting to strangle the Lis?

Swamps have never been enough to thwart the dreams of elves and men before (especially those who command magic and elementals and Thayvian Bombards) - not when endless shiploads of gold can be gained for the effort. The city of Byzantium/Constantinople/Istanbul has been a rather exciting place to be throughout history, strategically dominant, difficult to seige, and openly coveted by all her neighbours. I'm wondering if aggressive Sembian-Shadovar expansion up the coast might make an interesting follow up for my neo-Phlan campaign ... it could all start so easily with building a wall around Elmwood and establishing a permanent garrison "for their protection" ...

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 10 Dec 2010 20:09:42
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2010 :  22:30:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find all of this discussion fascinating, because I was never able to find any references whatsoever as to what kind of river the Lis was, or the surrounding territory. I ended up making it a deep, fast-flowing river pouring down from the Moonsea into the Dragon Reach, with the surrounding territory being rough but dry.

I did this primarily just to be annoying to the group I was DM'ing, since they were a bunch of sea elves of Selu'Maraar trying to get to the Moonsea. In this version, a wide river, very strong current, and complete lack of fords provides an equally-effective barrier to land caravans, but now that I think of it doesn't answer the question why someone hasn't built a bridge across it, or founded a city at the Moonsea mouth.

If I might be permitted to slightly derail the thread for a moment, given the re-worked Lis geography described above, what might be some plausible reasons no bridges or cities have been built? And to bring things slightly more back on-thread, it's entirely possible that the naval battle developed out of someone trying to do just that, and at least one other someone violently objecting.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7976 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2010 :  23:03:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After a bit more thought about the Lis (and looking at the map linked near the top of this page) ...

• Do massive volumes of moving water create tidal surges and whirlpools (twice) each day in or near the river?

• How about strong winds across large bodies of water being funnelled into this narrow river passage bordered by trees?

• Does the river swell and washout during storms?

• Do any watery creatures or little gods claim, inhabit, or patrol (on or in) the river?

• Is there any exciting loot (or shipwrecks!) buried under the watery swampy muck?
  • quote:
    Hoondatha

... given the re-worked Lis geography described above, what might be some plausible reasons no bridges or cities have been built? ... it's entirely possible that the naval battle developed out of someone trying to do just that, and at least one other someone violently objecting.
    No large cities because:
    quote:
    The Hooded One

... Ed set it up this way ... (that is, the Lis having swampy surroundings [so no large fortifications possible on or near it], and shallow, many ever-shifting channels) ... ships DO get through ...
    Cause of naval war? I think probably exactly what you said, Hoondatha.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 10 Dec 2010 23:10:31
    Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
    Great Reader

USA
    2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  16:57:31  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    For fortifications, there isn't anything in canon, however the sea elven nation of Selu'Maraar takes up the entire Dragon Reach, up to the southern terminus of the Lis. They're described as a militaristic, somewhat paranoid culture, so I find it inconceivable that they wouldn't have fortifications along their northern border to guard against an attack by the aquatic creatures of the Moonsea. Exactly how big and well-maintained those forts would be would differ from campaign to campaign, depending partly on how often groups from the Moonsea sortied south, and other factors.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
    Sigh... And now 4e as well.
    Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
    Learned Scribe

Germany
    148 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  13:51:27  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Asharak

1346: Naval Battle of Lisen Sands.

mhhh... where does this date and event cames from? So far was not able to find the source of this note. Can you help Asharak?
    Go to Top of Page

Asharak
    Learned Scribe

France
    268 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  17:49:33  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    tsr1085 2E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting - book: Running the Realms p. 18

Edited by - Asharak on 14 Dec 2010 17:30:29
    Go to Top of Page

Halidan
    Senior Scribe

USA
    470 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  18:02:56  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I've struggled over this one for years. I have never found any citation for the event other than listings in FR timelines.

While it of course appears in the Grand History of the Realms, it's initial appearance is in TSR1085a Running the Realms by Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grub.
    Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
    Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2010 :  21:32:22  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I'd say it's past time to nudge Ed about this, in his thread. The battle is obviously something he devised, that not much has been said about in official printed Realmslore...but I'm pretty certain it's sitting there in Ed's head. Or notes he sent to TSR, that never got published. He sent them a LOT, remember, and they have always cherry-picked this or that tidbit to publish for whatever project they're currently doing...
    Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
    15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2010 :  05:18:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I would hazard to guess that something maintains the 'swampy' conditions around the River, which is why no-one - archwizard or wealthy warlord - has been able to create a stable surface to build upon. I picture MANY trying, over the years, just to watch whatever they build eventually sink into the mud like everything before it.

And now I'm picturing some kind of 'Archfey of the Marshes', either dwelling in this region, or having made some sort of bargain with the Elves of Cormanthyr in times-past.

Egads! I think I just invented a Feywild version of Swampthing.

(Yes, I know that's a picture of Manthing, NOT Swampthing, but am I the only one that thinks those two need to exchange names?)

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Dec 2010 05:22:48
    Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7976 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2010 :  05:27:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    (dead link, Markus)

I like that idea. Is goot.

Something fey lives in the Lis and makes the river it's home. Maybe it's an old elven graveyard? Maybe it's a bunch of swampy dryad things. Or just a territorial druid circle. Maybe even Aquaman ... I'm not a superhero geek but old AM seems like a terribly useless superhero (wow, he swims well and talks with fishies), import him into the Realms and give him a job on the Lis.

[/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
    Learned Scribe

Germany
    148 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2010 :  11:25:07  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    intriguing idea.
    Maybe a forgotten old elven graveyard guarded by a baelnorn? Who in turn created or summoned a strange fey creature to take care that no one can get hold on the region and by chance find this graveyard/ imprisioned thing or whatever?

Am wondering if this idea can be supported by anything mentioned on maps of the Arcane Age, Empire of the Elves?

ok, but how to link it to the Naval Battle of Lisen Sands 1346DR?

BTW: Looked at the WoTC "Grand History of the Realms" found nothing about this Battle. Currently the only source appears to be 2e TSR1085a Running the Realms, right?

Go to Top of Page

Asharak
    Learned Scribe

France
    268 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2010 :  13:35:01  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dewaint
    BTW: Looked at the WoTC "Grand History of the Realms" found nothing about this Battle. Currently the only source appears to be 2e TSR1085a Running the Realms, right?

Yes, I've seen that nowhere else.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
    15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  06:15:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Arik

(dead link, Markus)

I like that idea. Is goot.

Thanks. I fixed the link soon after posting (it was one of those weird, two-part URL's that Candlekeep gags on). Its working for me now - I happen to really like that pic - I would use that to frighten some of my players.

Still trying to find more info on the OP, BTW.

I have a feeling this is an 'artifact' left-over from some of the early (1e) Realm's 'clumsiness' regarding dating. I thought (at first) it could have to do with the difference between CR (Cormyr-reckoning) and DR (Dale-reckoning), which IIRC was implemented in 2e in order to cover some of the historic discrepancies.

EDIT:
    I 'think' Ed's home campaign started in 1347 - that's the year of the battle AND the year the Knights of Myth Drannor were commissioned. HOWEVER, reading through some of the history sections of the 1e/2e booklets it appears that most of the events surrounding his players (which are detailed in the novel series of the same name) were assigned to 1357 in the official, TSR-owned setting.

I think this is a problem of some of Ed's home-campaign dates slipping through the cracks, when there seems to be a ten-year discrepancy between the two.

In 1357, there was FIERCE naval fighting throughout the Moonsea, and Zhentil Keep emerged the winner after a decisive victory against Melvaunt and Mulmaster, leaving them in control of the moonsea waters (and obviously the outlet of the Lis into the Moonsea). Also note at least four ships 'went missing' just prior to this naval war, all traveling up the Dragonreach toward the Moonsea. Three ships mentioned in one entry, and the fourth later-on.

Ergo, I think the '1347' date is a carry-over from Ed, and its actually supposed to be '1357' in the published Realms, and is a reference to the naval war held between all of the Moonsea cities.

Just my opinion, of course - hopefully THO, or someone more knowledgeable then me about the FR dating-snafu's, could spread some more light on thsis

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Dec 2010 20:07:58
    Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7976 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  09:06:36  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004) - Page 55
    quote:
    Athenon

I have another geography question ... What's the River Lis like in the home Realms campaign? I've envisioned it as similar to a slightly cleaner, shorter Mississippi in terms of current and width (I'm from Louisiana so it's what I know). Would this be accurate at all?
    quote:
    THO

Athenon, you have the Lis correct. Let me quote from Ed’s unpublished ‘What Your Character Knows’ notes:

Much blood has been spilled over control of the Lis, but the terrain itself has defeated any longterm control beyond the “as far as the point of my blade/reach of my spells extends” sort.
    The term ‘the Lisen Sands’ refers to treacherous marine navigation and flooded areas, not broad beaches or desert area. You recall brackish water from the freshwater swamps (fed by local streams and springs) emptying into a broad, shallow, VERY silty saltwater river that generates lots of oxbows, side-channels, quicksand, dunes (that unlike ‘desert dunes’ change only by water action, not wind, as they’re well-anchored with vegetation), standing dead ‘drowned’ trees, lots of choking vines and stunted wetland living trees (in short, large marshes with lots of ground cover for lurking outlaws and critters) . . . and everywhere insects, insects, clouds of stinging insects.
    Through the heart of it all winds the broad, slow, mud-opaque-water Lis, sometimes impassable to deep-keeled ships, but never choked so much that water cannot pass from the Moonsea to the Dragonreach. Indeed, spring storms in particular (and fierce winds blowing up heading-south waves at all times of year) can generate ‘Scourings’ of the Lis that briefly give it depths of more than forty feet and a clear, straight channel. Usually, it’s 12 to 15 feet deep (with a soft-chocolate-mud bottom that will allow solid objects to readily pass or sink through it for about another six feet or so), and permanently cloudy ...
    Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004) - Page 56
    quote:
    THO

The Lisen details came from Lanseril’s notes [Lanseril Snowmantle], because he spent some time in a hut very close to the west bank of the River Lis, being trained by a senior druid (and so knew all about the fauna, flora, and natural processes and cycles of the terrain right in front of him during his instruction). At a later time, we Knights journeyed to this area, and Ed agreed that Ian Hunter (who played Lanseril) could share this portion of his notes with the rest of us, to game-simulate Lanseril Snowmantle telling his fellow Knights what they were heading into.
    So the Notes WERE encyclopaedic, but also had big gaps. I’ve seen the ‘Player Pack’ that Ed prepared for The Company of the Stag (one of his later library program groups: a chartered band of PC adventurers whose careers were fated to last for thirteen weekly four-hour play sessions), and it was some forty pages long, with an index. He gave the TSR designers a copy of it, as I recall ...
    Many sources footnote "The Naval Battle of Lisen Sands" in 1346DR but otherwise provide no description.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 16 Dec 2010 09:11:00
    Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
    Senior Scribe

Australia
    388 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  11:03:16  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    In my researches on Lisenaar I vaguely remember a point where Mulmaster tried to establish a strangle hold at the Lis Mouth and the other Moonsea Cities ganged up & sank the fleet & pulled down the fortress. maybe this was that battle???

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
    Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
    Senior Scribe

Australia
    388 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2010 :  11:03:51  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    check in the old Ravens Bluff stuff from 2nd ed.

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Next Page
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000