Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dragon to cease publication and the DL license end
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

lokilokust
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  04:14:07  Show Profile  Visit lokilokust's Homepage Send lokilokust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i am interested in checking out their new 'pathfinder' mag, and seeing if it's easily convertible to the realms.

yrs. in exile,
-s.j. bagley
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  04:40:51  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if the Savage Tide adventure path will finished before they discontinue the magazine?

In the game I play in we ran through Shackled City, we're just over half-way through Age of Worms, and we're hoping to run Savage Tide next.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  04:45:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the very last issue of Dungeon will have the final adventures of the Savage Tide Adventure Path in it.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  04:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, first I lose my beloved eTools and now Dragon. This online thing better be really good.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  05:04:53  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I unfortunately renewed my Dragon subscription two days ago. I only started subscribing within the last year because I heard FR material would be in every issue. The transition refunds are little consolation for the loss of the magazine, but at least Paizo is being flexible with the loose change.

Edited by - Archwizard on 20 Apr 2007 05:07:36
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  05:07:51  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm using mine to download as many PDFs from Paizo as I can that I still don't have . . .
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  05:46:50  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - i was tired this Am - and got up late - so i did not see this until just now.

As Kuje said - its like a dear, old friend has died.

I have been buying Dragon RELIGIOUSLY since issue 83 (The first of the marvelous 'chessboard' covers) and promptly went back to fill in as many holes as possible back from there.

IIRC, I am missing less than 2 dozen issues. I will do my best to finish off my collection too - just to honor the memory.

As for Dungeon - I must admit to not having run a Single adventure from them - but I have them all (or pretty darn close!).

I too hope the online content will be good. As it is now - I print out almost everything from WOTC's site that I think I may want - so I guess I'm glad I bought a bunch of binders last summer at garage/church sales!

And - is it just me - or is it silly not to have One More issue of dragon to get it to 360 - a perfect circle. I think they should put out one more....

I had hoped my 500th post would be more fun and light-hearted. :(

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  08:31:46  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaewin

I'm sorry didn't really mean to put in two places, just wanted to get the word out. I have been reading this mag on and off for 24 yrs. Its been there for all edtions so it seems li9ke its part of D&D, almost a sacred cow.

Well, if it is a sacred cow, then WOTC is obviously not staffed by Hindus.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  10:05:08  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a sidenote ... to all overseas readers (who have internet access), this online version (we have no clue about the outlook as yet, have we?) eases the problem of a) getting the issues and b ) paying over the odds for them.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 20 Apr 2007 10:07:37
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  10:37:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's actually a good point Zanan -- I know I've missed a couple of issues in shipment since I restarted my subscription just before Ed's first "Cities" article. It's been a pain trying to organise replacement issues...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  11:27:44  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No way!
Start petitions, throw down the government, take down the system... To arms my fellows! (With pens of course). Make Dragon survive.

*my chaotic good side took over here*

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  11:37:03  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, this is unexpected. I have not had much interest in Dragon since the 90's myself, but I did not see this coming. One more element of the old game goes away. Sad really that these magazines, with the role they have played in the game should die away over business moves whilst still going strong.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  12:35:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A major concern with me over this announcement (which I feel was prompted by the bean-counters, more than anything else) is the spotty track record Wizards has with their website. The Wizards site is renowned for having one of the worst search engines ever conceived, and they've had issues with giving us the free content. There are the web enhancements that are floating in limbo, broken links from when they rearranged everything, and there have been multiple times that newly posted articles either aren't available at all, or they are available but the download link is broken. Moving to an online-only format when they've got such a spotty record already is quite worrisome.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  12:48:03  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pooh.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by lokilokust

of course they conveniently wait until i subscribe to both magazines to announce this.
Fortunately, I prevented that very occurence on the CBT Forums, where I know there are plenty of subscribers to both DRAGON and DUNGEON. Most of those who commented have subscriptions which end in August, so they've largely been saved.

Yes, thanks for that, Sage.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  13:46:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bugger.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  13:49:25  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A major concern with me over this announcement (which I feel was prompted by the bean-counters, more than anything else) is the spotty track record Wizards has with their website. The Wizards site is renowned for having one of the worst search engines ever conceived, and they've had issues with giving us the free content. There are the web enhancements that are floating in limbo, broken links from when they rearranged everything, and there have been multiple times that newly posted articles either aren't available at all, or they are available but the download link is broken. Moving to an online-only format when they've got such a spotty record already is quite worrisome.

Wooly's got quite a valid point, as it requires a flat-out Search Check to find what you happen to be looking for on the Wizards site, even if you tracked down whatever article a few weeks before. Add to this that I was seriously considering subscribing starting next month, and well...there goes that plan. >_<;

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

lokilokust
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  14:03:20  Show Profile  Visit lokilokust's Homepage Send lokilokust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wooly,
well said.
i'm worried about the same things.
i'm also worried that, even if their new online package isn't more terrible than a pile of dead baby otters, they might lose a lot of talented writers who focus on the realms and eberron.
without having those two mags to write for, i can see quite a few writers simply not bothering to submit.

yrs. in exile,
-s.j. bagley
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  14:15:33  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow....what a kick in the teeth. I've bought TSR magazines since the Strategic Review days (Dragon's predecessor) and subscribed to Dungeon from the start. It really hurts to see them go the way of Steve Jackson's Pyramid magazine. I stopped getting that publication after about four or five on-line issues, because it just didn't feel the same as the old print version.

I'll give the on-line publication a chance, but it better knock my socks off.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  14:20:14  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a surprise.

Personally, it doesn't sadden me too much since I had to give up the bulk of my Dragons when I moved to The Netherlands and I didn't renew my subscription this year. However, I can imagine what it feels like for those of you who look forward to the Dragon time of month.

With my work I have one or two trade magazines that are online but they take some getting used to and (perhaps rather obviously) they don't feel the same.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

lokilokust
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  14:29:22  Show Profile  Visit lokilokust's Homepage Send lokilokust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it also strikes me that this is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for gaming magazines.
the only thing left is games workshop's monthly mail order catalogue.

yrs. in exile,
-s.j. bagley
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  14:52:03  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My apology to Wooly and the others for the multi-post, and thanks to the Big Hamster for the redirect. I am just in shock about the whole thing. I work for an institution which subscribes to many periodicals online. The one thing I can tell everyone, when my work place cancels a subscription they loose everything. It doesn’t matter if they have been signed up for a few years.
There are no back issues to pick up and reread. For anyone who will subscribe to the new Dungeon & Dragon magazine; please make a back up copy for yourself. I know some scribes will print a copy off while others will burn it to whatever the new data storage device is available at the current time.

Farewell Dragon.
And hello Dragon.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  15:30:14  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. I'm imagining 3 people that work in print shops that also subscribe to Dragon and Dungeon (assuming it goes online and is printable) that are thrilled about this decision.

What a tragedy for gamers and for new people that might be entering the game by eyeing a Dragon or Dungeon magazine on the shelf. Worst Business Move of the Year.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  15:45:30  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To give some more old D&D related sad news, I just saw that Tom Moldvay has passed away recently. A sad day.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  16:26:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

Pooh.

quote:

quote:

of course they conveniently wait until i subscribe to both magazines to announce this.
Fortunately, I prevented that very occurence on the CBT Forums, where I know there are plenty of subscribers to both DRAGON and DUNGEON. Most of those who commented have subscriptions which end in August, so they've largely been saved.

You're welcome.

I assumed you'd either hear it at CBT or through the HMP Forums... Wooly's work most likely.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  17:39:32  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Bugger.

-- George Krashos

Well after feeling very gutted about this news and reading this thread and some of the glum comments on Paizo's thread, George's simple response has made me laugh out loud and brought a smile to my face at last

Nevertheless, I still can't get over this news. For those who haven't followed Dragon for some time, the issues have certainly improved and FR content had become a regular occurance.

Aye, my only gaming magazine fix now will be White Dwarf

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  18:47:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

Pooh.

quote:

quote:

You're welcome.

I assumed you'd either hear it at CBT or through the HMP Forums... Wooly's work most likely.

Actually, I just now posted it over on HMP... That's the only other forum I'm active on.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  20:42:58  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I went to bed last night, I was apparently so distraught that my wife asked me what was wrong. She's not a gamer, but she could appreciate how sad it is for something like Dragon to go away. I still feel sick, empty, and helpless everytime I think about it. I just can't help but wonder who the hell is WotC listening to when they make these god-awful decisions?

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  21:35:58  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

When I went to bed last night, I was apparently so distraught that my wife asked me what was wrong. She's not a gamer, but she could appreciate how sad it is for something like Dragon to go away. I still feel sick, empty, and helpless everytime I think about it. I just can't help but wonder who the hell is WotC listening to when they make these god-awful decisions?

See, that is nearly how I felt and feel about the whole WotSQ / Lady Penitent affair. You spent half a gamers life collecting all the stuff, all is neatly set and then a 4 year novel series turns life on its head. After that's somewhat settled ... you don't get a rest. Another trilogy with events even "worse" than the previous series comes round the corner and keeps you at the edge for another couple of years. (Alas, Lisa is writing some brilliant stuff!)

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

MaxKaladin
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  21:41:06  Show Profile  Visit MaxKaladin's Homepage Send MaxKaladin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine they're listening to marketing people who think their new online thing will do better if there is no Dragon or Dungeon around as competition.

It will be interesting to see what KenzerCo does. The Knights of the Dinner Table "comic book" has been about half gaming magazine for years now. Perhaps they'll expand on that.

RIP Dragon
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  21:56:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agghhh, I've been reading dragon for 20 years now. I'll miss it. I'll miss Dungeon even more, as most of my adventures came from it (modified mind you, but they came from it).

My coworkers and I were talking about this over lunch. I could be seeing it all wrong (and I could be taking some extreme leaps of thought), but see if this makes sense. TSR tanks in 2000 and is pulled out of their issues by WotC. WotC wants to see Dragon and Dungeon live, but doesn't want to have to fund it. So Paizo comes out around the time of 3E (trying to think back of which came first). 3E takes off like a rocket. People can't get enough of prestige classes and new feats and new spells and new items. Third party people are trying to make their dents with modules and add-ons, but wizards material that they put out is better tested and less likely to be broken. Third party materials sell, but eventually people like myself return to the folds of buying pretty much only WotC material.
Now, people are tired of new prestige classes, new feats, yet another blast spell, and overpowered items that would cost so much that no sane DM would give them to their party. They instead try developing new classes entirely, but some of those are so whack job'd that people begin wondering what's up with WotC. So, now its time to take a stab at making modules again.
Meanwhile, people see Dragon mag (now a third party) as the de facto rules kings of D&D, and many don't ever (or hardly ever) buy modules because they get modules that are just as good from Dungeon. People with the ideas for new concepts in the game aren't sending them to WotC. They're sending them to Dragon Magazine. People with a good idea for a module aren't sending them to WotC, they're sending them to Dungeon Magazine.
So, WotC decides that the best thing to do would be to shut down Dungeon Magazine so that they don't have as much competition for their own modules. Also, they can take over as the rules kings again by handling the player's questions, taking in their submissions for web content (some of which may spark their own creativity and incline them to create new sellable material). Finally, it slows down the flow of alternate (and possibly unbalancing) material coming out of multiple resources.
This would give wizards the chance to focus on making more modules which people may buy, bringing more people to their web site where they advertise the latest things they're selling, bring campaign material experts to WotC, etc... meanwhile they can start development on the next edition of D&D (which, with each new edition, I'm genuinely surprised at the improvements, so I'd really be interested in a new edition if they put as much thought into it as 3.5)
Anyway, this could be me being WAY off-base, but that's the outlook we saw amongst the four of us. It makes a kind of business sense to us, but maybe something entirely different is happening.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000