Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  13:16:25  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just prepaid my LGS for my copy coming out next month. Last night he informed me that the blamed thing won't be available until March 21! Hell, they shoulda put April '07 on the product guide, that way I would be happy that I'm getting it early!

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  17:14:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since the Power of Faerūn debacle, my FLGS has had an excellent track record for getting the new stuff in on time. And, since he emails notice about new releases, I just have to wait for the email.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2007 :  21:01:10  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

the blamed thing won't be available until March 21!

Lucky you! I have to wait for it to be released in the UK first then I have to order it from my LGS (London Games Store) and wait for TPG, the Dutch post to deliver.

I'm sure it'll be worth the wait though.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  02:35:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The grossly mispelled art gallery is up

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20070307a

and you thought them mispelling Llira was bad wait until you see this

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  02:42:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Corymyr?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  03:00:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OY!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  09:01:08  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's just hope they managed to spell the artists' names correctly.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  12:46:55  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mispellings aside, it seems odd that there's so little art up! Its about the same number of pictures as The Twilight Tomb, which of course was a 32 page adventure, while Corymyr weighs in at 160 pages. City of the Spider Queen managed to fill three pages in it's art gallery. Let's hope there's some more art put up soon (along with proper spelling!)
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  19:00:05  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well at least now we might have a possible nickname for the newest member of the Azoun family. Cory. LOL

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  23:11:06  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really, I'm not worried about the lack of art. Art is nice, but content is great! Give me meat and maps. Lots of accurate maps. And spell Cormyr correctly...

Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  23:50:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ironically, the proper spelling of a word used a couple of times in this thread is "misspell".

The art gallery does seem kinda sparse for such a large page count...

Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2007 :  00:22:08  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ironically, the proper spelling of a word used a couple of times in this thread is "misspell".

note how I deftly avoided using that word by asking for words to be "spelled correctly."

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2007 :  00:25:03  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Corymyr has 10 pictures up, which is tiny for a 160 Hardback Adventure. When Compared to Sons of Gruumsh (8 pics, 32 Pages) and Twilight Tomb (7 Pics, 32 Pages), you come away with the feeling that somethings wrong (and not just with the spelling!) As I mentioned before, CoTSQ has 43 pics up.

I do hope that the tome itself has more pictures in it! Although, I think we can give WOTC the benefit of the doubt here and guess that there will be lots more in the tome proper.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2007 :  04:29:12  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

See my Sig

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2007 :  10:04:43  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Corymyr has 10 pictures up, which is tiny for a 160 Hardback Adventure. When Compared to Sons of Gruumsh (8 pics, 32 Pages) and Twilight Tomb (7 Pics, 32 Pages), you come away with the feeling that somethings wrong (and not just with the spelling!) As I mentioned before, CoTSQ has 43 pics up.

You can't help but wonder if the page count is much smaller than they say. After all the Twilight Tomb was vaunted as being possessed of a greater number of pages then it actually had.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2007 :  16:18:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The previews for this month on WOTC's site specifically mention that these are large hardcover adventures. I can't imagine that they would make the book a hardcover with a pagecount similar to "Twilight Tomb."
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2007 :  16:28:09  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

The previews for this month on WOTC's site specifically mention that these are large hardcover adventures. I can't imagine that they would make the book a hardcover with a pagecount similar to "Twilight Tomb."

Unless things have radically changed after I saw the text, this is a big adventure.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2007 :  06:45:47  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

True.

This is where being stuck in the backwaters of Europe is advantageous though. I can wait for what our North American friends say about the book before it even arrives in the stores over here.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2007 :  23:24:43  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:

True.

This is where being stuck in the backwaters of Europe is advantageous though. I can wait for what our North American friends say about the book before it even arrives in the stores over here.

While that's useful for something I'm unsure about, it can be very annoying if there's something I know I'll be purchasing. I'm happy to wait for this though, as I just can't see when I'd get a chance to run such an adventure, so I'll wait and see what others have to say.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

NiTessine
Acolyte

Finland
34 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2007 :  23:37:30  Show Profile  Visit NiTessine's Homepage Send NiTessine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

From my point of view, being stuck in the backwaters of Europe is advantageous, because we get this stuff before Americans.

The book is really light on art, since the encounters are laid out in the new delve format.

I haven't yet had time to study the adventure in depth, but I can try to answer questions to the best of my ability.

http://nitessine.wordpress.com/
Worlds in a Handful of Dice
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  02:58:32  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So there are really only Ten pics in the whole book? Ouch..

By Delve Format, you mean the type used in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, right? Or do you mean something else? Only other question I can think of is how much lore do we get in it? I recall something along the lines of a few articles at the back of the book being promised. Did they show up? Thanks in advance for the answers.
Go to Top of Page

NiTessine
Acolyte

Finland
34 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  07:00:33  Show Profile  Visit NiTessine's Homepage Send NiTessine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ten illustrations. There are maps for every encounter, plus a bunch of larger maps.

Yeah, the delve format is the same as in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

There's a bit over four pages on southeastern Cormyr, Wheloon and the Vast Swamp at the back of the module, along with some crunchy bits. Magic items, mainly.

http://nitessine.wordpress.com/
Worlds in a Handful of Dice
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  07:07:45  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The format in Ravenloft was good. However, even that book had more illustrations.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20061006b

I'm not saying illustrations maketh the book but they are something we've come to expect. The sages here have very rarely, in my time here, criticised artwork.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  10:16:46  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have bought the book yesterday together with compendium magical items. I still have a good look in the book but my first expression was that there wasn't much art in the book.

I'm planning to play the adventure in the future when the other parts are out :)

Edited by - boddynock on 11 Mar 2007 10:20:16
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  12:32:15  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm waiting for my book (and MIC), and are still excited about the adventure from what I know about it. Artwork does not make or break a realms book for me (maps do, I am still not over the Serpent Kingdoms blunder). If the maps are ok, I can do without much artwork, although I miss Sam Wood and Todd Lockwood.

I am very much looking forward to running an adventure using the delve format, as I am currently trying to run Shakled City and are increasingly annoyed with the old adventure layout with stat blocks running over several pages.
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  13:19:00  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there any cities/villages/important places mapped?
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  14:35:28  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh. Artwork brings a setting to life for me. Ten illustrations in 160 pages is a tiny number. I hope this isn't the start of a trend that will follow into the other adventure books this year.

The Delve format for adventures is great though. Good to see it being used more. Maps are always good too. The four pages of lore are a nice bonus.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  17:36:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not saying illustrations maketh the book but they are something we've come to expect. The sages here have very rarely, in my time here, criticised artwork.

I have. I've not liked most of the artwork we've gotten for the last several years. Most I simply don't like; it's not like I actively dislike it. However, there has been some stuff -- particularly recent and upcoming novel covers -- that I've actively disliked, or even loathed.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Mar 2007 17:37:46
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  17:41:39  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I'm an old curmudgeon about this, but when it comes to a Realms product, I miss the black and white Valerie Valusek artwork. That having been said, there are some 3rd edition artists that I like, but I with that FR had a more unique "feel" as far as the artwork goes.

I know Ravenloft had more artwork, but its also a large adventure, so they had a little more room to play with. A lot of classic adventures and sourcebooks didn't have much art, so I'm okay with this, as I get the feeling that they lack of art is due to trying to get as much content as possible, which to me is a plus.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  18:32:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I have. I've not liked most of the artwork we've gotten for the last several years. Most I simply don't like; it's not like I actively dislike it. However, there has been some stuff -- particularly recent and upcoming novel covers -- that I've actively disliked, or even loathed.

I have in the past but I haven't in awhile since I tend to ignore the current art since it.... just doesn't speak to me. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 11 Mar 2007 18:32:44
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  20:06:16  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cant say there has been much in the way of art that appealed to me in the recent years. One or two things here and there that were OK, but nothing like that found in 1 and 2ed. Then again, I am a grumpy old nostalgic.

As for lack of illustrations, this gives place for more writing, so I would be glad to see that in future source books.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000