Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
WalkerNinja Posted - 28 Feb 2007 : 13:16:25
I just prepaid my LGS for my copy coming out next month. Last night he informed me that the blamed thing won't be available until March 21! Hell, they shoulda put April '07 on the product guide, that way I would be happy that I'm getting it early!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 27 Feb 2009 : 01:11:01
My copy is for sale, if someone wants it.... (or anything else from my extensive 3.5 collection for that matter...)
Brimstone Posted - 26 Feb 2009 : 23:28:51
-My copy doesn't have it.

BRIMSTONE
Xzamuel Posted - 26 Feb 2009 : 21:26:06
Greetings all, occasional lurker but first time poster, because this one question has been driving me crazy for well over a year and I need to know the answer!

A couple of people have already mentioned the lack of 'Forgotten Realms' being printed on the spine of the book. Do copies exist with the words printed on?

Sorry to bump an old topic, but perhaps now time has passed and more people have the book, the answer will become more clear. It most certainly looks odd on my FR shelf!
Patrakis Posted - 17 Apr 2008 : 00:06:21
Hi,

I'm starting the adventure shortly and i came up with the same question. A reference is missing to a discussion the PCs could have with this the guard Thendric. The information seems to involve the use of convicts of the city aiding in the construction of the keep or someting. This Thendric is one of the guards that is stationned in the out house next to the keep, area 5.

I would very much like to see one of the designers casting some light on the ommission in the module.

Pat

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

quote:

I'm still reading the first part of the adventure, but one thing puzzles me: Who is Thendric? There's a couple of references to him and/or his claims, but I can't find those claims or him. I could have overlooked it, but I don't think I have...

I believe that the Thendric you're referring to is the T.D. that signs the letter bringing the PC's to investigate the temple. He is an itinerant priest of Mystra that has had a run-in with the fake temple.

I don't have the book handy, but I'm almost positive that the priest was named something other than Thendric, and I don't recall seeing his claims about prisoners, either, which is one of the two references to Thendric.

The priest is named Tanaster Dranik, or something like that. Not Thendric.

SirUrza Posted - 24 Jun 2007 : 19:39:41
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

My local comic book store, game shop, and neither of my local bookstores have gotten this yet. Something is up. :(

Did they even order them?

The comic and game shop have, don't know about Walden and Borders. Either way, all 4 stores still haven't gotten them. I had to order it on Amazon.

Crazy thing is the game shop is one of the WOTC premiere or premium or whatever they call it stores.

KnightErrantJR Posted - 21 Jun 2007 : 21:59:22
quote:
Originally posted by Chyron
I would like to ask some of the scribes and sages here though... How does this work compare with Mysteries of the Moonsea? Is it the same general layout/format? I had heard quite a few negatives about that title so I did not want to take a chance to order one without being able to look through it (and since I do not have a FLGS here it may be a while)

Cormyr is very clearly laid out as an adventure, with some source material specific to the region it takes place in in the back of the book. Once you look through it, its pretty clear that its an adventure.

Mysteries was about 50% sourcebook and 50% adventure outline, with some detailed encounters for key points of the outline. Basically, there were a few pages on a Moonsea city, some NPCs for the city fully stated out (characters that the PCs could fight or interact with, not usually fully statted "big guns," although there were a few), and then an outline for an adventure, with a few specific encouters more fully fleshed out.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 21 Jun 2007 : 21:54:19
I think the format is to showcase that this is suppose to be a major adventure. Plus, from what I've heard, it wouldn't have made it much less expensive to have made it a softcover either, unless the downgrade the paper inside, etc.

I understand what you are saying about potential neutral Shadow Weave users, but at the same time, I don't think that Shadow Weave users are considered "baseline," and to a degree, with limited space, I think they have to assume a generally standard party (i.e. non-evil, no ties to Shadow Weave, standard class distribution).

I don't think the starting hook is so much a weak hook, but one that could use some development. It does feel kind of rushed. One of the things I was thinking of was to have the PCs run into the cleric in another nearby town, since, at least to my way of thinking, it was a bit obvious of him to post a note strongly hinting at who he was in the same town where he was afraid for is life.

I think part of the reason that the Mystrans don't have a representative (assuming none of the PCs are Mystran representatives) is that, as this adventure illustrates, Mystra's formal church isn't that strong in Cormyr. The cleric is going to have a hard time finding nearby help, and he doesn't want to leave the situation the way it is without doing something. Its mentioned that he is going to Saerloon for help, so I think its a matter of wanting to get the ball rolling.

In fact, this does give you an "out" if the PCs get in over their heads, or off on the wrong path, allowing for a paladin, mystic theurge, or cleric of Mystra to show up and patch them up and put them back on the right path. If it happens after the temple is "dealt with" its possible that these figures would go there to sanctify the place, and let the PCs keep on with their job.

I do wish there was more of an introduction in general, with a kind of, "what's the gossip in Wheloon" sort of set up. I know this information is mentioned in the back in the source material on the region, but by putting this information in the back, and throwing out a few hooks and then starting the book with the temple itself, it kind of makes gathering information and rumors in Wheloon feel "optional."

I think once you sort out how you are going to start it and construct an opening sequence and flesh out the hooks (none of which is too hard, espcially if you go to the material in the back first . . ), the adventure itself is fun. I really liked most of the encounters, and it flowed well for me, and was interesting.

I liked the follow up and how it shows the kind of recognition the PCs would recieve for this kind of mission as well, and the fact that there is a little breathing room between this one and the Shadowdale adventure for the PCs to savor their victory and enjoy their newfound fame, fotune, and . . . well . . . levels.

If there is one other thing I would have liked, its a bit more foreshadowing of the next adventure, and a bit more structure when it comes to Esvele and making sure the PCs get that this is the thread that ties into the next adventure. With everything else going on at the end of the adventure, it could be easy to loose that link to the next one.

Overall, I liked this adventure, and it had a lot of interesting touches to it.
Chyron Posted - 21 Jun 2007 : 05:57:34
quote:

Hooks- There are basically two hooks to investigating the Mystran temple. Both focus on morality and less on financial reward. Compared to Sons of Gruumsh, the hooks seem weak. SoG promised 1,000pp and the gratitude of a major noble house. C:TotW (at best) promises 2,000gp and the gratitude of an itinerant Mystran priest and the ire of the local lord (who enjoys the tax revenue of the temple). I may have to adapt some of this, because I can see my players saying "This is too much trouble for 2k gold pieces."…

The module seems to pre-suppose ignorance of the Shadow Weave. While my players have no knowledge of it, I can see how other players might, particularly if the Shadow Weave is well known in your campaign.

I just received my copy this week. I agree with Walkerninja’s criticisms (as well as many of his positive comments). On the whole I think it is a well written adventure, but there are a few points that I would like to comment on.

I strongly agree that the hooks are likely the weakest part. And as I see it there is a point within the adventure when the upper echelons of the Church of Mystra would get a fire lit under there robe and come in with spells blazing. Here you have a rival religion that is sacrificing Mystra's lay worshipers under the guise of Mystra to corrupt the weave. I mean epic holy wars have been sparked for less.

With the potential for such a major loss of face for the Mystran church, I just can't buy them allowing a group of mercenaries (who may not have the best interests of the Mystran faith in their mind) to handle this matter, without having a single (if not multiple) representative(s) along with them.

The point on presupposition is also a good one. Unless I missed it, there is also no mention on how to handle PC clerics of other religions who may not view the Mystran faith in the best light. (This is typically a problem with 'Church' mission adventures). Or (neutral) players who may actually have feats or prestige classes that tap the shadow weave.

The biggest complaint I have is that the book is a hardcover and I don’t think there was any need for it to be so. I would have preferred it as a softcover (like CotSQ) or in the new folder format (such as Shattered Gates of Slaughterguard) which I find rahter nice in a slightly nostalgic way.

I would like to ask some of the scribes and sages here though... How does this work compare with Mysteries of the Moonsea? Is it the same general layout/format? I had heard quite a few negatives about that title so I did not want to take a chance to order one without being able to look through it (and since I do not have a FLGS here it may be a while)
Brenigin Posted - 11 Jun 2007 : 10:19:04
Same in New Zealand - my 2 FLGSs both never recieved it, though they've got more recent releases.
Kajehase Posted - 10 Jun 2007 : 17:58:16
Sounds a bit weird - I saw several copies of it when I visited an SF/F-bookshop in Gothenburg, Sweden about a month ago...
KnightErrantJR Posted - 10 Jun 2007 : 15:31:52
I was just reading on Paizo's site about the problem the are having with some distributors that have been saying products haven't come out yet that have been out for two months. I wonder if something similar is going on here (although you would think that WOTC products would be more "visible" as having come out than even Paizo's).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Jun 2007 : 15:25:26
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

My local comic book store, game shop, and neither of my local bookstores have gotten this yet. Something is up. :(

Did they even order them?
SirUrza Posted - 10 Jun 2007 : 14:28:45
Alaundo Posted - 10 Apr 2007 : 08:17:54
quote:
Originally posted by EvilKnight

Hello,

Did anyone notice that the words "Forgotten Realms" are missing on the spine of this product? I did not notice until I put it on the bookshelf beside the others. I wonder if this applies to all of the first printing or a subset.

EvilKnight

Well met

Well I certainly hadn't noticed this EvilKnight. Although as ye stated, it's probably as it's still in the current reading pile on my table rather than on the bookcase. This will play havoc with my OCD
Jorkens Posted - 10 Apr 2007 : 07:11:11
quote:
Originally posted by EvilKnight

Hello,

Did anyone notice that the words "Forgotten Realms" are missing on the spine of this product? I did not notice until I put it on the bookshelf beside the others. I wonder if this applies to all of the first printing or a subset.

EvilKnight

I have seen some other comments that concerns the logo missing on the spine. It seems to be a mistake on at least a large part of the printing.
EvilKnight Posted - 10 Apr 2007 : 02:27:58
Hello,

EvilKnight
Asgetrion Posted - 29 Mar 2007 : 18:07:24
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

<<Instead we have 4 super adventures this year for FR, all of which are going to be used once <<before they're left and forgotten on the shelves.

My initial inclination is to agree, but I said the same thing about the Undermountain adventures that started appearing at the end of 2nd edition. Lo and Behold when I got my hands on them later on, they were very well thought out modules that had some great realms detail in them. Hopefully these modules will work to do similar things moving and shaping in the realms.

We are still using those Undermountain modules, even after 10 years - many of the rooms remain yet unexplored, treasures unfound, monsters and NPCs that we didn't meet... and some of those we met became friends or foes in the campaign. Not to mention the Undermountain boxed set - I seriously doubt that *anyone* has explored all the rooms on every published level. Or unraveled every shady deal in Skullport.

Then there is the lore aspect - for example, I will use the lore provided on Wheloon every time my PCs visit there, in any campaign. Maybe your PCs befriend some NPCs during the adventure, and keep visiting them? Maybe you could run the module again, to another gaming group?
sleyvas Posted - 28 Mar 2007 : 21:06:56
<<Instead we have 4 super adventures this year for FR, all of which are going to be used once <<before they're left and forgotten on the shelves.

My initial inclination is to agree, but I said the same thing about the Undermountain adventures that started appearing at the end of 2nd edition. Lo and Behold when I got my hands on them later on, they were very well thought out modules that had some great realms detail in them. Hopefully these modules will work to do similar things moving and shaping in the realms.
BobROE Posted - 28 Mar 2007 : 14:25:59
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm still reading the first part of the adventure, but one thing puzzles me: Who is Thendric? There's a couple of references to him and/or his claims, but I can't find those claims or him. I could have overlooked it, but I don't think I have...

I believe that the Thendric you're referring to is the T.D. that signs the letter bringing the PC's to investigate the temple. He is an itinerant priest of Mystra that has had a run-in with the fake temple.

I don't have the book handy, but I'm almost positive that the priest was named something other than Thendric, and I don't recall seeing his claims about prisoners, either, which is one of the two references to Thendric.

There seems to be the implication that he's one of the temple guards but he and his plot line was removed from the book without all the references being taken out.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Mar 2007 : 07:40:35
quote:

quote:

quote:

The priest is named Tanaster Dranik, or something like that. Not Thendric.
imis999 Posted - 28 Mar 2007 : 04:27:01
Another question would be who came up with the Shadow Roll year names. Were they created secretly at the same time the normal names were written?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 17:35:09
quote:

quote:

WalkerNinja Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 13:30:17
quote:
Originally posted by imis999

Great book. As I finished reading it though, I got the biggest surprise: The Shadow Roll of Years! Is this the first time for a Shadow version of this? I'd love to see more on the meaning of the past years and how far back this Shadow Roll goes.

I believe that this is the first time that we've seen the names of the Shadow Roll. I believe (perhaps mistakenly) that it has been referred to mysteriously in the past.

WalkerNinja Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 13:28:44
quote:

Brenigin Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 10:09:56
Dargoth, the preview encounters have NPC villains fully statted on the encounter page.
Dargoth Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 00:55:54
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
STICK THE DAMN MONSTER STATS ON THE SAME PAGE AS THE ENCOUNTER!!!

All 3 adventures use the new "delve" format, discussed here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060317a

--Eric

Hmmm good so there going to stick the published monsters on the same page... but what about NPC villians or templated NPCs who wont have a page reference to quote from one of the Monster manuals?

Also will expedition to Undermountain be using this format?
ericlboyd Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 00:36:18
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

All 3 adventures use the new "delve" format, discussed here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060317a

--Eric
Dargoth Posted - 26 Mar 2007 : 00:25:27
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

WOTC learned that lesson with the Spider Queen module. So many people wouldn't use it until they found out how the novels ended. So, it makes sense that they are releasing the trilogy in the same year.

Yes but did Wizards Editors learn the really important lesson from CoSQ?

Sanishiver Posted - 25 Mar 2007 : 18:30:26
quote:
Originally posted by imis999

Great book. As I finished reading it though, I got the biggest surprise: The Shadow Roll of Years! Is this the first time for a Shadow version of this? I'd love to see more on the meaning of the past years and how far back this Shadow Roll goes.

In the context of the adventure, the "1374 Year of the Unraveling" certainly makes sense, doesn't it. ;)

That Shadow Roll of Years is just totally awesome! I'm already pondering how to introduce these alternate names to my players to try and get them focused on what the heck is going on with Shar and her wider evil plans.

I wonder if "1385 Year of the Revelation" isn't THE year Shar goes on a major rampage.

Good stuff in this adventure.

imis999 Posted - 25 Mar 2007 : 13:30:42

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000