Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 King Azoun IV
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mehangel
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  02:16:02  Show Profile  Visit Mehangel's Homepage Send Mehangel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I did a search and found several topics concerning the times before King Azoun, and times after the death of King Azoun, yet none concerning the reign of King Azoun. If I missed something in my seach please feel free to redirect me with a link.

I would like to know what King Azoun IV did during his reign. I say this because it is evident that if Cormyr was to mourn after his death, he had to be a halfway decent ruler. I know as much concerning him as is presented in a timeline, unfortunately like all timelines it has gaps. I would like to know if you can fill them in, particularly during the years 1311DR - 1324DR, 1336DR - King Azouns epic battle against the titanic red dragon.

I would require this information because of the nature of my charcater. IC my pc is a Bard/Druid, and is currently writing a play in memorial of his recent death. I have the outline done and have finished two of the five acts. A list of important people to include would also be useful. I currently have includded the Kings Children, Vangerdahast (I hope that is the correct spelling), and a couple others.

I thank thee for your time, and feel free to contact me via Email @ Zhenchwood@yahoo.com

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  06:35:12  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there are several novels that pertain to a lot of what you are asking.

cormyr
beyond the highroad
death of the dragon
book 3 of the hordlands trilogy
various other cameo's and shortstories
Go to Top of Page

Ilztfryn Claddghym
Seeker

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  19:54:21  Show Profile  Visit Ilztfryn Claddghym's Homepage Send Ilztfryn Claddghym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry who is King Azoun?

Ever dreamed of role playing in Faerun? Battling Obould's forces in the North or Pirates at sea? Join this board www.faerunrp.com/forum
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  20:06:11  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don’t know if this was a joke, but he is the king in Comyr.

Azoun, fourth , rightful king of Cormyr and flower of House Obarskyr.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 23 Feb 2007 17:37:36
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2007 :  20:09:32  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Google and Wikipedia are your friends.

Google: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22king+azoun%22

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=%22king+azoun%22

Edited by - nbnmare on 22 Feb 2007 20:12:34
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  05:49:53  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was almost like asking, who is Elminster? No worries my friend, if you do not truly know, keep reading scrolls here within the keep.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  17:11:11  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

I don’t know if this is a joke, but he is the king in Comyr.

Azoun, fourth , rightful king of Cormyr and flower of House Obarskyr.

Change that to was The current king of Cormyr is the toddler Azoun V. But since he's still just a wee bairn, his aunt Alusair is acting as regent.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  17:38:25  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 23 Feb 2007 17:38:39
Go to Top of Page

Mehangel
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  15:15:04  Show Profile  Visit Mehangel's Homepage Send Mehangel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nbnmare

Google and Wikipedia are your friends.

Google: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22king+azoun%22

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=%22king+azoun%22

I have done these two before coming here, I was actually looking for a direct link to a short biography or detailed list everything that King Azoun IV has done, or rather what a PC Bard might know concerning the King after his death (The PC has access to the Library in Suzail). Someone mentioned that Cormyr a Novel and other books were good to read, I have read some portions of the former long before searching on information concerning this king. Exactly how much information in the books are concerning the actions of King Azoun? Do you have any recommended chapters to read from these books? I have access to the first and last in the trilogy, exactly what is included in the second book? I heard it wasn't a good read, what would you all recommend? You have all done well in helping me with this project of mine,

Thankyou.

Edited by - Mehangel on 26 Feb 2007 15:16:40
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  17:08:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another thing Azoun IV did during his life: bed just about every woman in the kingdom, and several from outside it. Obarskyrs are a randy lot.

But really, there's no published biography of his life. The closest thing we have to a published biography for any character would be the various Drizzt books, or the various Elminster books.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  17:47:52  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to http://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/FR_20001129b_P2.asp by Steven Schend, he's also a published author, having written Treatise on the History of Polearms in Warfare

Edited by - Pasta Fzoul on 26 Feb 2007 17:49:14
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  23:12:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

But really, there's no published biography of his life.
Indeed.

Mehangel, you might want to consider looking through Ed's replies here at Candlekeep also. Over the years, Ed's managed to share with us many interesting tidbits about Azoun's life and his time as King of the Forest Kingdom.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Feb 2007 23:14:00
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  05:18:12  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For glimpses at Azoun IV and his life, I recommend the novels Cormyr: A Novel, Death of the Dragon and Swords of Eveningstar. The 2E supplement Heroes' Lorebook also has a useful synopsis of Azoun's life until its publication.
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  21:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail, scribes. Trying to track down all of Azoun IV's official titles. I know I've seen them listed somewhere, but can't seem to find the lore now.

By titles, I mean: 'His Royal Majesty, King Azoun IV, Protector of Tilverton, Victor of the Horde Incursions', etc, etc, etc, all the way down to 'High Shoveler of the Royal Dunghill', if that happens to be in there. It is the various 'etc's that I am currently lacking, and need the assistance of far wiser scribes to guide me...

Cheers,

-Karth
Go to Top of Page

silverwizard
Seeker

Greece
76 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2008 :  13:19:53  Show Profile  Visit silverwizard's Homepage Send silverwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's an entry on King Azoun IV in the 2nd edition sourcebook "Heroes' Lorebook"
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  00:11:38  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly, didn't WotC posted a series of articles dealing with Cormyr last year or so? Several of the articles provided details on Azoun IV, including one specifically one the affairs he had outside of his marriage and the kids that resulted from them.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  00:30:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

If I remember correctly, didn't WotC posted a series of articles dealing with Cormyr last year or so? Several of the articles provided details on Azoun IV, including one specifically one the affairs he had outside of his marriage and the kids that resulted from them.

I remember that particular article.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  00:43:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was from Ed's Realmslore -- "Azoun's Offspring".

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  04:36:33  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes, that was the one. Thanks, Sage.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  14:03:14  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody know if Mehangel assembled his biography? I'd like to see it.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  14:23:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure. His last visit to Candlekeep was around October last year. He hasn't been back since. I suppose you could try contacting him via his email, or through MSN [see his profile for the relevant addresses].

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  14:27:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Anybody know if Mehangel assembled his biography? I'd like to see it.
Afet

Dunno... Half of his posts are in this thread, and he's not been here since October. If he did finish the biography, I've seen no mention of it.

Go to Top of Page

Mehangel
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  18:19:55  Show Profile  Visit Mehangel's Homepage Send Mehangel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I have most of the information on Azune, unfortunately there are several years in which I found insufficient information... I am currently compiling the information into an organized format that is easy to read and yet viable... Sorry I did not entirely realize you were waiting for the bio to be posted, so I was working on it at a leisurely pace... I will try try to get it up and posted when I finish so that those who wish to read it may...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  19:14:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...And then there's a possibility that he's watching this scroll, and will check it out when anyone comments...

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  19:44:57  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no big hurry. But I would like to see it when it's done.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  20:19:17  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's funny to see a very old post be replied after a long time.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2008 :  20:46:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IngoDjan

It's funny to see a very old post be replied after a long time.

You think that's old? Sometimes threads from 2002 get raised from the dead around here.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  02:41:54  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or 2008. Did anyone ever actually compile this biography?

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  03:18:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malanthius

Or 2008. Did anyone ever actually compile this biography?

Not that I know of, and I've not seen anything like this made available for storage on the main site. As I said back in '08, Mehangel last visited Candlekeep around October '07. He hasn't been back since. I suppose you could try contacting him via his email, or through MSN [see his profile for the relevant addresses].

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  05:40:29  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a related note: Was the article following "Azoun's Bastards" ("The Scarlet Mummers") the last article in this series? If so, it left us with a rather irritating semi-cliffhanger...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  06:02:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

On a related note: Was the article following "Azoun's Bastards" ("The Scarlet Mummers") the last article in this series? If so, it left us with a rather irritating semi-cliffhanger...

I haven't checked my archive folder of the "Realmslore" column in a while, but yes, I think that was the last one.

Edited by - The Sage on 14 May 2010 06:03:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000