Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Halls of Stormweather: "Song of Chaos"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  16:13:50  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met!

This thread is the Classic Book Club thread for discussing the Halls of Stormweather short story, "Song of Chaos," by Richard Lee Byers.

Please discuss herein.

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  21:50:52  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished "Song of Chaos," and I have to say it was a very interesting piece, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. As a man that has a teenage daughter, and as a man that has sisters, I can definately attest to the antagonistic "authenticity" of Shamur and Tazi's relationship.

One of the things that I find ironic is that even though I had read the Erevas Cale books before this one, the impression that I got from Shamur actually didn't spoil this story at all. In fact, it reinforced what she is trying to project. Sure, I picked up that she must have had a somewhat shady past from some of the thigns she says to Cale, but not the whole depth of what her actual secret was.

I also liked the idea of a piece of music being sort of an "artifact spell" that would more or less create a region of chaos in Faerun. I like quirky magical effects like this, as they really help to underscore the fantasy nature of the Realms, even while we are getting a very "down to earth" depiction of a mother and a daughter not quite getting along.

I also liked the moment near the end, before Shamur's "mask" goes back into place, where she lets Tazi know that she is proud of her one last time before she has to go back to the disapproving, scandalized mother.

Another solid RLB performance in this story.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  23:03:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I particularly enjoyed this story... mostly because of the "musical element" within. Plus, we learn a little about the musical scene, which is always something I'm interested in learning more about, in Sembia.

I also enjoyed the "evil" composer -- especially since "evil" bards aren't something we've seen a lot of in the Realmslore since 2e.

For me, the musical composition of the evil composer's works in "Song of Chaos" demonstrates what perversely-inspired music can do to both people and their surroundings -- especially when the music itself is infused with magic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  23:08:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oddly enough Sage, I DID think of you when I read this story . . .

I kind of like the idea of an evil bard as well, especially one powerful enough to compose something along the lines of what was described in the story.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 07 Mar 2007 23:09:45
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  00:23:26  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Opens scroll blindfolded. So I have not heard of this. What book would I get/look in to find this story?

EDIT: Never mind I had the titles mixed up, thought the title of the book was Chaos and the other the title of the story but I eventually found it on o-love.net

Thanks

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

Edited by - turox on 08 Mar 2007 00:26:23
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  02:04:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Just finished "Song of Chaos," and I have to say it was a very interesting piece, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. As a man that has a teenage daughter, and as a man that has sisters, I can definately attest to the antagonistic "authenticity" of Shamur and Tazi's relationship.

As a woman, so can I.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  14:06:38  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  17:18:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of dark magic being affected by music. And it was a nice change from the norm, too. Instead of fighting some BBEG, they were fighting evil magic from a dead guy, cast by ignorant folks. A nice variation from the norm.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000