Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Halls of Stormweather: "Song of Chaos"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arkhaedun Posted - 17 Feb 2007 : 16:13:50
Well met!

This thread is the Classic Book Club thread for discussing the Halls of Stormweather short story, "Song of Chaos," by Richard Lee Byers.

Please discuss herein.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Mar 2007 : 17:18:00
I like the idea of dark magic being affected by music. And it was a nice change from the norm, too. Instead of fighting some BBEG, they were fighting evil magic from a dead guy, cast by ignorant folks. A nice variation from the norm.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 08 Mar 2007 : 14:06:38
I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 08 Mar 2007 : 02:04:15
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Just finished "Song of Chaos," and I have to say it was a very interesting piece, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. As a man that has a teenage daughter, and as a man that has sisters, I can definately attest to the antagonistic "authenticity" of Shamur and Tazi's relationship.

As a woman, so can I.
turox Posted - 08 Mar 2007 : 00:23:26
Opens scroll blindfolded. So I have not heard of this. What book would I get/look in to find this story?

EDIT: Never mind I had the titles mixed up, thought the title of the book was Chaos and the other the title of the story but I eventually found it on o-love.net

Thanks
KnightErrantJR Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 23:08:19
Oddly enough Sage, I DID think of you when I read this story . . .

I kind of like the idea of an evil bard as well, especially one powerful enough to compose something along the lines of what was described in the story.
The Sage Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 23:03:57
I particularly enjoyed this story... mostly because of the "musical element" within. Plus, we learn a little about the musical scene, which is always something I'm interested in learning more about, in Sembia.

I also enjoyed the "evil" composer -- especially since "evil" bards aren't something we've seen a lot of in the Realmslore since 2e.

For me, the musical composition of the evil composer's works in "Song of Chaos" demonstrates what perversely-inspired music can do to both people and their surroundings -- especially when the music itself is infused with magic.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 07 Mar 2007 : 21:50:52
Just finished "Song of Chaos," and I have to say it was a very interesting piece, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. As a man that has a teenage daughter, and as a man that has sisters, I can definately attest to the antagonistic "authenticity" of Shamur and Tazi's relationship.

One of the things that I find ironic is that even though I had read the Erevas Cale books before this one, the impression that I got from Shamur actually didn't spoil this story at all. In fact, it reinforced what she is trying to project. Sure, I picked up that she must have had a somewhat shady past from some of the thigns she says to Cale, but not the whole depth of what her actual secret was.

I also liked the idea of a piece of music being sort of an "artifact spell" that would more or less create a region of chaos in Faerun. I like quirky magical effects like this, as they really help to underscore the fantasy nature of the Realms, even while we are getting a very "down to earth" depiction of a mother and a daughter not quite getting along.

I also liked the moment near the end, before Shamur's "mask" goes back into place, where she lets Tazi know that she is proud of her one last time before she has to go back to the disapproving, scandalized mother.

Another solid RLB performance in this story.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000