Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Bladesinger: Chapters 25 - 27 & Epilogue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  18:42:37  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Bladesinger (Book 4 of The Fighters series), by Keith Francis Strohm. Please discuss chapters 25 - 27 and the Epilogue herein:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2006 :  06:56:01  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh so good! I want to see more of Taen, Roberc, and Borovazk but that's probably an unrealistic hope.. after all I can't get more of Arilyn!

The only question left unanswered was, what happened to Yurz! *sighs* Goblins receive so little attention in the Realms.. lol.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2006 :  09:29:06  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had finished reading the book and all I can say is that I am quite turned off by the book itself.

Chapter 25 about Taen exile over a silly accidental murder sounded absurd but acceptable to me. That the Bladesinging masters were so quick to condemn a gifted student over some murder is quite a high-handed way of handling matters without even investigating the truth. I almost wondered what had happened to the wisdom that is supposedly to exist within the great bladesinging masters.

Chapter 26: Marissa getting back her staff from the shelf so easily seemed rather odd to me. If such a powerful weapon could be sensed by Yulda, chances that Yulda would be eager and excited to examine the toy and I was quite disappointed that Yulda was more interested in talking to the Old Man than examining the staff. Also, the staff seemed like some sort of banking terminal for Marissa to gain powerful spells. I thought druids can perform better without the need for arcane spells as they rely on nature to power their magic but Marissa wielding the staff hardly behaved like one of her true calling.

Chapter 27-28: The fight between the rogue witch and the band was fine, just fine. But Taen hardly fought like a true bladesinger despite what the title supposed to say, it seemed like despite the trainings, claims to become better and past performances paled in comparison in what happened in the final few chapters. It appeared Taen is more sorcerer than bladesinger. There are parts that mixed emotions and fighting scenes together in a jumble rather than orderly fashion. That the witch died so easily by being stabbed by a glowing magic blade on the skull seemed too easy, I had expected a bigger struggle to end the witch's life on Taen's part in terms of more action, sadly few it seems. Marissa's death seemed untimely and rather unecessary to me. She was given two choices: Kill the Old man or let the Witch win, Marissa took the third choice that is suicide by breaking the staff, which seemed rather too easy way to die to me.

Eilogue: The ending part between Marissa and Taen at the Red Tree seemed like.....nothing at all, just a few simple words of apology was enough to placate Taen's wounded heart, I had expected outrage on Taen's part and regret on Marissa's part but that didn't came to pass.
And the fact that Taen simply called himself a true Bladesinger after an stunt with Yulda was absurd. Even Maestro Taegan Nightwind can do better than that and more worthy of being called a true bladesinger.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2006 :  22:34:15  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Chapter 25 about Taen exile over a silly accidental murder sounded absurd but acceptable to me. That the Bladesinging masters were so quick to condemn a gifted student over some murder is quite a high-handed way of handling matters without even investigating the truth. I almost wondered what had happened to the wisdom that is supposedly to exist within the great bladesinging masters.

You know, I feel the same way. When I saw what was developing in the incident I figured Taen would have killed them all and her in his blind rage... exile for one death though.. well that seemed extreme.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2006 :  02:59:29  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

You know, I feel the same way. When I saw what was developing in the incident I figured Taen would have killed them all and her in his blind rage... exile for one death though.. well that seemed extreme.

That's right, it seemed very unfair to Taen and at the most, his foes should go in exile together with him, since his foes were the ones who forced him to do it.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2006 :  15:51:25  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Overall I liked the novel, it kept my interest easily and I was able to read it in about two days. I liked the setting for the book as well, I had previously not read much about the area. The characters to me were interesting as well. They all had some bad or hurtful past that shadowed them, and it seemed to me, that they only felt whole when they were together. For me the end seemed a little rushed or something. I thought it could have ended a little better as well.

I did not really understand why she smashed the staff and killed herself. I am not sure what it accomplished besides helping to finish off the demon which seemed to be about to die anyways.

I don't have any source books so does anyone know where I can find out a little bit more about the specifics of bladsinging?
Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  06:06:59  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After I've finished the book, I'd have to say I ended up enjoying it. The first third of the book was a bit slow for me, as I've mentioned in other threads, but whatever action was lacking in the first part was more than compensated for in the last third of the book.

I didn't like the fact that Marissa died at the end, but on the same token, I applaud the fact that the author was willing to kill off a main character - something most authors seem very fearful of doing in hopes that they might get future novels later involving those characters. It was a choice Marissa made, and I don't have a problem with her dying in those circumstances - I was just sorry to see her go.

As for being exiled, I don't have a problem with that either. He was someone who possibly half or more of the elf city was looking for any excuse to remove. The fact that he was a gifted student just rubbed it even more in the faces of those who opposed letting a half-elf into training. Taen provided an excuse to allow them to finally be rid of him, and they jumped all over it. Perhaps the wisdom of the bladesinging masters lies in the fact they weren't willing to completely divide a village protecting an adopted half-elf that had committed a crime, no matter how accidental it may be. It was alluded to that she was the daughter of one of the higher ranking people in the village as well, which would even add more fuel to the fire.

Overall, I'll give my final review as a 3.5 out of 5. It was a better than average book, in my opinion. The book had a slow start, but an action-packed ending which made it hard to put down once it got moving. It had a villian with a clear motive, interesting heroes who actually had significant transformations through the novel, and it had good references to realms areas I wasn't as familiar with both in the setting and the profession of Bladesinging.

Go to Top of Page

Krendar
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  13:37:05  Show Profile  Visit Krendar's Homepage Send Krendar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am disappointed in the ending of the book. For the whole novel we see how Taen keeps his emotions for Marissa walled within himself due guilt over killing Taelandra(sp?). When he finally comes to terms with his feelings, Marissa dies. Sure he mourns, but just a few words from Marissa's spirit helps him get over both of the women he has loved deaths, plus he comes to terms with the prejuidice he experienced growing up with the elves? This ending was a total disappointment.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  17:10:08  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

The only question left unanswered was, what happened to Yurz! *sighs* Goblins receive so little attention in the Realms.. lol.

You're right To say how taken i was with the little fellow, i'd forgotten all about him

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2006 :  17:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the chapter where Taen is exiled and spends a last few moments with his father was quite touching.

I felt the ending battle with Yulda was a little rushed, although I did enjoy it. I'd liked to have seen more from her (I guess the excerpt from Swords of Eveningstar stole a higher page count from Bladesinger ), but I did get a good feel that she was very powerful...especially with the Old One speaking to Marissa about it.

I thought Marissa's death was uncalled for. Did she really need to shatter the staff? It just seemed for nothing, as Taen killed Yulda in the end anyway. Although i've likely missed a key point

I found the epilogue very touching. It was sad when Taen went to the Red Tree and how Roberc and Borovzak let him go alone.

I was quite happy that Marissa became a telthor... very fitting.

All in all, I really enjoyed the book. A little cliche at times, but a good story. My only quibble really is that it felt more of a book about Marissa, and the bladesinging didn't come into play enough. A worthy addition to the Fighters series, even so

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  07:37:56  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Usally I write on every section made to post your thoughts through out your reading of the book, but the chapters seemed so short that when it came time to make your post nothing really happened enough to write about. I got my first dose of bladesinging from The Rage. It seemed different to me ( how bladesinging is performed ) in this book. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the tale. I just got confused at some parts, for example: when Yulda findly got her hands on this Staff of the Red Tree, Why did she just let it sit around in the same cell she was holding Marissa. I strongly feel that this story could of been one of the greatest, if it was stretched out into a Trilogy. There are some things I would have liked to know and experence through out my read than being told what happened, for example: How Marissa and Taen meet and how they became fond of each other, How the companions came togther, and I would of like to have experenced the lossing of Marissa's arm. As to everyones comments on the tale, I completely agree.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  06:40:22  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree a trilogy would have been great.
Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  15:41:25  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree as well - a trilogy would have allowed him to expand a bit on the history, as well as give more time to the ending.
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2006 :  01:29:07  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally got a chance to sit down and finish this book. I was very pleased with Keith's writing and characters overall. My one complaint is that the ending felt rushed which I am sure was not the author's fault. Taen is a great character and Roberc would make a great traveling companion for further adventures outside Rashemen. The fact that the book ends with him becoming a true bladesinger must leave other readers besides me hungering for more from this character. The story makes a good origin story, but I wish this was a trilogy or multiparter. Wizards probably lumped it into the Fighters series and gave it the Bladesinger title. Even thought the flashback scenes revolve around Taen, there are still inner monologues with Marissa and others. Keith told a great story and I truely enjoyed it, I just expected a lot more bladesinging action.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
735 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  05:25:36  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Eilogue: The ending part between Marissa and Taen at the Red Tree seemed like.....nothing at all, just a few simple words of apology was enough to placate Taen's wounded heart, I had expected outrage on Taen's part and regret on Marissa's part but that didn't came to pass.

Remember that Taen had already grown/made peace with himself about his past by then. It would therefore be much easier for him to accept Marissa's death, than it would have been for him at the start of his journey.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  18:44:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as I mentioned before, my feelings about this novel are pretty mixed. There were things I liked, and did not like. The "bad stuff" first.

How on earth did Yulda become so powerful, considering she made so many missteps and was hard to take seriously in this book? She was a total "pulp" villain. I totally agree with the person who said it was silly how the Staff of the Red Tree was just sitting on a shelf after the heroes dispatched Durakh--how come it wasn't in a safe and hard-to-get-to place? It made Yulda's declarations of what she would do with the staff--as the heroes were waving it in her face--all the more laughable. We learn from the imprisoned Old One that Yulda is simply playing with Taen & Co. and could destroy them flat out with a single spell...okay, so why didn't she do that? It undoubtedly have saved her skin. Also, the writing did have a number of inconsistencies in it. The one that jumps out in my mind is during the flaskback taking place in 1351, where we learn that Taen had been training for years as a bladesinger. However, according to the novel he had declared his desire to become a bladesinger in 1350...only one year earlier.

On the other hand, this was not a bad read, although as I mentioned before it could have been a lot more interesting. I enjoyed the characters...for the most part, there wasn't much to them (I am especially thinking of Borovazk here, who pleasantly reminded me a little of Minsc from the Baldur's Gate games but otherwise wasn't characterized much at all), and the killing off of Marissa--sort of--was pretty brave on the author's part. Still, like some others I'm not entirely sure exactly why her death was necessary. The closing of the book was fitting and pretty touching as well, although I think there may be truth to the belief that Taen's broken heart healed a little too quickly.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
735 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  06:24:15  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
On the other hand, this was not a bad read

Yup, I agree fully with almost all your points, but for me, compared to downright rubbish like Blackstaff, this shines. Compared to other really great reads like The Yellow Silk, Bloodwalk, Frostfell and even the other three novels in The Fighters, this is almost, almost sub-par. As you said, not a bad read, just not a very good one either. It had great moments, great potential, but for 200+ pages nothing much happened. A trilogy, to properly focus on Taen's past, Yulda's rise to power (if at all), and less cliche writing would perhaps have been a better call, if KF Strohm was capable of course.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  07:05:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be interested to know why you think "Blackstaff" was 'rubbish' - in a constructive sense of course, not a "Khelben was always my favourite and killing him off was stupid"-sense.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
735 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  05:32:22  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'd be interested to know why you think "Blackstaff" was 'rubbish' - in a constructive sense of course, not a "Khelben was always my favourite and killing him off was stupid"-sense.

-- George Krashos

Very well, but not here and not now. I will prepare a critique on it this coming weekend and post it in one of the Blackstaff or S Schend threads. I'll PM you once done.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000