Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Blackstaff: Chapters 18 - 27
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  23:52:08  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Blackstaff(Book 1 of The Wizards series), by Steven Schend. Please discuss chapters 18 - 27 herein.

Steven Schend will be here to answer any questions and respond to comments

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  05:28:02  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm . . . Maskar says something interesting on page 169 . . . "fully restoring Myth Drannor?" Obviously word has gotten to Waterdeep about what happened in Myth Drannor in Final Gate . . . Its good to see the continuity here, even if the comment is easy to miss.

With everything else going on, I have to say that I like Tsarra and Raegar, and I'm amazed that enough of them has come through in this book so far for me to actually care about them.

Okay, a question. Obviously we get the idea that Sharn are kind of like composite creatures of fallen societies that sort of fuse together to survive and preserve what might be lost from their societies (I hope I am close here). What I am wondering is if all Sharn are from the events in chapter twenty, or if there were other societies that preserved themselves by turning into sharn?

I really liked Raegar's flirting and verbal dueling with both Laeral and Tsarra once they have him back in Blackstaff Tower.

I loved the "who's who" of wizards in chapter twenty four. I would love to see Malchor and Nain show up more often in Realms novels. I can remember reading about them way back when I first got FR1 Waterdeep and the North. On top of that Maaril has always captured my attention. I like how we got some pretty quick sketches of their personalities without the characters coming across as two dimensional.

Of course, there is continuity, and there is continuity . . . personally I always liked the name "Force Grey" better myself anyway . . .

One way or the other, its great to see some members of that group show up in the novel.

The Frostrune certainly knows how to make himself a pain in the backside. Earlier in the book I was wondering who the villain of this piece would be, and somehow it feel fitting that someone like him should play the part of the BBEG.
Go to Top of Page

Lore Seeker
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  13:53:08  Show Profile  Visit Lore Seeker's Homepage Send Lore Seeker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

With everything else going on, I have to say that I like Tsarra and Raegar, and I'm amazed that enough of them has come through in this book so far for me to actually care about them.

I agree. I am very fond of both characters. I must say that I would be very interested to read more about the work that Raegar does in the service of Oghma. A bit of shady secrecy with good intent.

"So let it be written.....that I might read it."
Lore Seeker
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  23:37:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hm . . . Maskar says something interesting on page 169 . . . "fully restoring Myth Drannor?"

You call it interesting. I call it...yuck.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  00:12:17  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kind of like it, because it shows that there's a lot more to restoring the dream of the City of Song then just tossing a bunch of Fey'ri out of residence.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  01:49:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

I kind of like it, because it shows that there's a lot more to restoring the dream of the City of Song then just tossing a bunch of Fey'ri out of residence.

Upon further thought, seeing that entire quote from page 169 (not just the last four words) would be helpful.

The Last Mythal trilogy rubbed me the wrong way...not just because of the premise, but because of the actual prose as well. So seeing it pop up in this (wonderful) novel isn't going to have me jumping for joy.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 19 Jul 2006 01:50:32
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  01:59:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But, to be fair, if author that someone "likes" over other authors selectively exclude Realmslore, then how can we argue that authors that don't follow Realmslore are at fault for not keeping up on current events? Applying rules equally is really the only way to make sure there is a level playing field . . . not to mention, being a veteran of the shared world reading experience that is comic book land, there have been a few authors that are considered "greats" that decided they were too important follow changes more "mundane" authors wrote, and they end up screwing up continuity and the feel of the book more than if they had just worked with the events and the changes as presented. If its a shared world, it does have to be shared to work. At least thats how I see it.

As for context, Khelben had just told Maskar that he was needed, the symbol of Mystra showed up, and then Maskar says, "Very well, what's the task--fully restoring Myth Drannor?" to which Khelben replies, "No, though a few worthies of that realm may join us for the working. No, 'tis something older still."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  02:42:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But, to be fair, if author that someone "likes" over other authors selectively exclude Realmslore, then how can we argue that authors that don't follow Realmslore are at fault for not keeping up on current events?

I'm not arguing that anyone should exclude Realmslore. As I've said before, I'm here simply to give my opinion...even if, in truth, it amounts to less than a hill of beans in the greater picture. If my opinion is as unsubtle and emotional as "yuck", that's what it is.

quote:
As for context, Khelben had just told Maskar that he was needed, the symbol of Mystra showed up, and then Maskar says, "Very well, what's the task--fully restoring Myth Drannor?" to which Khelben replies, "No, though a few worthies of that realm may join us for the working. No, 'tis something older still."

Hmm, maybe I should refrain from commenting until I get to that part, all right?

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 19 Jul 2006 02:42:52
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  02:43:31  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, I thought you had read it. Appologies if I messed anything up for you.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  02:45:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm sorry, I thought you had read it. Appologies if I messed anything up for you.

No, it didn't...I asked for you to clarify, and I appreciate it. I just think maybe *I* commented too soon.

And yes, I'm "cheating" a little by even being here...but so what?

Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  03:39:54  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr Schend has done a wonderful job of including a great deal of realmslore throughout this tale. I don't own source books or the campaign setting as I only read the novels so it was nice to get this much lore and detail from a novel, I can only imagine what he can do with a trilogy!
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  07:15:42  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This book has been an excellent addition to my library. The interesting, yet brief, introductions of so many Realms luminaries has been a lot of fun to read. I have often wondered why so many interesting characters found in sourcebooks rarely, if ever, recieve any attention in novels.

Mr. Schend, I am on chapter 37 and enjoying pretty much every minute.

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  03:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Recently I asked Steven Schend about some sayings in the book, and he graciously gave me answers. It has also been remarked I should share with others:

quote:
quote:
Page 189, the Pentad say to Khelben, "We all take Oacenth's Vow and Dragmar's Promise to heart." I can figure out Oacenth's Vow, but Dragmar's Promise?

Just like Oacenth, I figured I could easily slide in a dwarven leader's name who'd vowed to find ways to work together with the other races as well. Only thing else we know about Dragmar is that he was a high priest of Dumathoin and probably a leader in a long dead dwarven civilization between the times of Miyeritar and -300 DR.

There we go, another mystery created and solved!

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2006 :  19:14:52  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By this point in the novel, I'm reluctant to read too quickly, as I want to savor these pages before turning them.

The Realmslore, the tour of Waterdeep, the use of classics like sharn, phaerimm, Semmemon, the Wands family, the references to dozens of other Realms novels, the very mention of Eltargrim... I am loving this novel. I agree with others who've said this is a must-read for Realms fans.

The plot is unfolding in a way that I've never seen in an FR book (with the possible exception of certain Greenwood and Cunningham novels). The most delightful aspect of the plot is just as I'm saying to myself, "What's happening here?" one of the characters asks the same question a couple paragraphs later, and that's an awesome union of character and reader. It happens over and over, and I love it.

The flow of the reading is also very high-brow. This is one of the few FR novels that I feel is written toward an older audience, an audience who will appreciate both the extensive Realmslore and the style of writing itself, rather than any kewl action that almost quotes rulebooks.

The flow of events can be a tad confusing at times, but like I said above, the characters are often just as confused as the reader, and that's a very compelling thing to experience while reading.

I dare say Blackstaff is literature.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  00:42:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

The flow of the reading is also very high-brow. This is one of the few FR novels that I feel is written toward an older audience, an audience who will appreciate both the extensive Realmslore and the style of writing itself, rather than any kewl action that almost quotes rulebooks.

I totally agree with that.

quote:
The flow of events can be a tad confusing at times, but like I said above, the characters are often just as confused as the reader, and that's a very compelling thing to experience while reading.

This, I don't agree with quite as enthusiastically. There really are times when the writing just isn't very clear, and that can't simply be written off as style (IMO). That being said, the book improves in this respect towards the end.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  03:04:15  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, a question. Obviously we get the idea that Sharn are kind of like composite creatures of fallen societies that sort of fuse together to survive and preserve what might be lost from their societies (I hope I am close here). What I am wondering is if all Sharn are from the events in chapter twenty, or if there were other societies that preserved themselves by turning into sharn?

Realized I'd never answered this comment/question....my bad.

The sharn were made of composite survivors and/or willing entrants who sacrificed their lives and knowledge to join the collective sharn. (Strange that a few years AFTER Ed, Eric, and I had discussed the sharn as one big collective underdark LAKE of sharnstuff that splintered off pieces to make individual sharn, Star Trek DS9 had the same idea for the Founders/shapeshifters.)

No, not all the sharn came from the events in Chapter 20, though every living being in that Pentad enclave became sharn. The original sharn were the lorelords and such of Miyeritar--the 3 High Mages and the 80 that entered the storms as noted in a few places in the timelines. They took in a few other survivors who didn't get mentioned in elven histories, like the guards and scouts of Miyeritar--the centaurs.

Over time, I figure there's been a few who've been offered salvation from certain death by joining the sharn, and a few folk of Uvaeren, Eaerlann, Ascalhorn, and many many other realms joined the collective.

Thus, Rhymanthiin is going to be a hotbed of historical knowledge as there are now living denizens of many lost realms who can correct or compile information on places that have little (or perhaps have even been forgotten) detail.

Does this help clarify things, Knight? Or just add more questions, as any good designer does?

Steven
Who highly recommends the very odd movie LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE to anyone who can attend R-rated movies

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2006 :  06:55:45  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - its a month and a half after the last comment here.

I think I know why.

After I finished chapter 27 - I just HAD to keep reading. It did not help that I was at work -a nd had 1/2 my lunch break left - with no access to the internet to pop on and read through this.

So - I kept reading to the end. :)

And Thats why I beleive that this thread is less-posted in than others.

Next stop - the last thread!

Thanks again for a wonderful read!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  02:27:00  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Well - its a month and a half after the last comment here.

I think I know why.

After I finished chapter 27 - I just HAD to keep reading. It did not help that I was at work -a nd had 1/2 my lunch break left - with no access to the internet to pop on and read through this.

So - I kept reading to the end. :)

And Thats why I beleive that this thread is less-posted in than others.

Next stop - the last thread!

Thanks again for a wonderful read!

Dhomal

Thanks, both for stopping by and adding the nice comments. Glad the book pulled you along; now I'll have to swing by and see what your final thoughts were.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Galaeron Nihmedu
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  03:13:53  Show Profile  Visit Galaeron Nihmedu's Homepage Send Galaeron Nihmedu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a few questions: Were some of the sharn Netherese? If not, why did they fight the phaerimm? And why would the Pentad transform survivors of lore hubs into such strange creatures as the sharn (as opposed to angelic beings or Chosen)? What does fhaorn'quessir translate to? Is Khelben truly dead? After reading Elminster in Hell and this book, I am very curious about who Halaster Blackcloak truly is. And lastly, what the heck is an otyugh?

Edited by - Galaeron Nihmedu on 29 Nov 2006 03:37:11
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  10:38:26  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Otyugh, you can find it in MM, truly a hideus creature

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  16:15:00  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galaeron Nihmedu

I have a few questions: Were some of the sharn Netherese? If not, why did they fight the phaerimm?

It's inherently possible that some of the sharn could have been Netherese, just as they could have been refugees or survivors of any civilization that had a precipitous or sudden fall (i.e. Uvaeren, Ammarindar, villages stomped by the Black Hordes, etc.).

As for why they fought the phaerimm, one of the sharns' hidden purposes at all times (and even now with those left) was to prevent abuses of magic and fight against corruptions on the Weave. As much of what the Phaerimm have done fall under those descriptions, they made themselves the sharns' enemies. (Case in point--we don't necessarily always hear all the news of what goes on in Thay, but I'd suspect that there are always sharn working against some of the worst abuses of magic therein...)

quote:
And why would the Pentad transform survivors of lore hubs into such strange creatures as the sharn (as opposed to angelic beings or Chosen)?

Because they were either approached by the sharn themselves or inspired by Miyeritar or Uvaeren and their studies drew them to that conclusion/secret.

I'm loathe to say more, as I've got some stories and articles in mind to flesh all this out, some of which must remain NDA. Suffice it to say that the five faiths of the Pentad did not come together without reason or purpose...so what their faithful did has meaning. I just can't discuss what that meaning is at present.

quote:
What does fhaorn'quessir translate to?

Didn't I translate that over in my folder somewheres? I'll have to double-check my notes on that and get back to you. One thing to note--This is NOT a common name for the sharn, but it's one ONLY known among the Pentad's elven worshipers. If memory serves correctly, it's loosely transltated as "changed/altered Person" and acknowledges that there are elves within the sharn.

quote:
Is Khelben truly dead?

Yes, I'm afraid so. He's earned his peace after 960 years, don't you think?

quote:
After reading Elminster in Hell and this book, I am very curious about who Halaster Blackcloak truly is.

Then Ed's and my work is done here. I've enjoyed scattering hints and nibbles about Halaster into everything I've done in the Realms. It's one of the biggest scavenger hunts of lore out there--just ask George, and he'll confirm the only thing worse is sussing out the true history of The North.

quote:
And lastly, what the heck is an otyugh?

A scavenging garbage- and offal-eater that's been a D&D staple monster for decades. Look to your Monster Manual.

Hope these answers helped, Galaeron.

Edited by - Steven Schend on 30 Nov 2006 04:41:11
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  00:31:50  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still love all this Sharn talk! Steven, you really know how to put a twist on a story. I'll say it again. Great book! :)

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Galaeron Nihmedu
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  01:31:33  Show Profile  Visit Galaeron Nihmedu's Homepage Send Galaeron Nihmedu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mr. Schend. I still have more questions, though, if you don't mind. Do sharn usually have three heads and two main arms per body, and does the number of heads they have equal the number of souls they have sharing that body? (I know they share a group mind, but I'm not sure if they share individual bodies except for the big sharn comprising the three grand mages of Miyeritar.) I also notice in the book that the high magic city that the story revolves around is referred to as both Rhymanthiin and Faer'tel'miir. Is Faer'tel'miir the old name and Rhymanthiin the new? And the Three Watchers—the three grand mages of Rhymanthiin named T'karon, Hamra, and Alunor—are they the leaders of the sharn and the ones who first divised the means to become sharn, thus making them the original sharn?

And about Oacenth's Vow…Khelben says Oacenth was the coronal and grand mage of Jhyrennstar and that the last person the Three Watchers spoke to in any direct manner was he (Page 265, Ch. 30). Was his vow about uniting all races to work together and live in peace or some such?

Those Miyeritaari who chose to remain sharn would have become dhaerow with the Corellon's Descent if they had not remained sharn. I think I read in some Forgotten Realms sourcebook that dhaerow meant "traitor" and was what the elves called the drow, and the Corellon's Descent was the spell that transformed the dark elves into drow, right?

Akhelben is Elvish for "blackstaff," right? And what eventually happens to Danthra the Dreamer? Does her spirit move on to the heavens, or is she revived?

Edited by - Galaeron Nihmedu on 30 Dec 2006 02:03:51
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  02:02:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And what eventually happens to Danthra the Dreamer? Does her spirit move on to the heavens, or is she revived?

Steven said this about that, earlier in the year on Keep in a thread.

Sorry about that dropped plot thread. I'd planned a scene at the end where Tsarra visits the Dreamer in her new state, but as I already was running long, it never got developed. My bad.

Danthra still exists in a new state in Rhymanthiin. Think of it as a combination of visiting Sylune in Shadowdale, the Oracle at Delphi, and the Mouth of Truth in Rome (think Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday). She's a whisper in the ear of penitents seeking oracular advice, and she's able to manifest visually when the moon is more than half full (but only as a wispy ghostlike figure).

That help? Again, apologies for leaving her hanging there....

Steven

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  20:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, Mr. Schend. I still have more questions, though, if you don't mind. Do sharn usually have three heads and two main arms per body, and does the number of heads they have equal the number of souls they have sharing that body? (I know they share a group mind, but I'm not sure if they share individual bodies except for the big sharn comprising the three grand mages of Miyeritar.)

Sharn always have the same identical look as they've always had--3 heads, the arms with the tri-trunk hands, etc. The number of original souls within them matters little, as they are each and all the same (at least until WotC decides to redefine how the sharn are statted up). This is the sort of question Eric Boyd's much better at answering than I am, if you want a straight answer that makes sense in game terms.

quote:

I also notice in the book that the high magic city that the story revolves around is referred to as both Rhymanthiin and Faer'tel'miir. Is Faer'tel'miir the old name and Rhymanthiin the new?

Correct.

quote:
And the Three Watchers—the three grand mages of Rhymanthiin named T'karon, Hamra, and Alunor—are they the leaders of the sharn and the ones who first divised the means to become sharn, thus making them the original sharn?

Correct; these are the three grand mages who disappeared into the Dark Disaster as noted in Cormanthyr's timeline. And this novel is the first time they'd been named.

quote:
And about Oacenth's Vow…Khelben says Oacenth was the coronal and grand mage of Jhyrennstar and that the last person the Three Watchers spoke to in any direct manner was he (Page 265, Ch. 30). Was his vow about uniting all races to work together and live in peace or some such?

Yes, something like that; I don't have Cormanthyr at hand to check the exact wording of his vow, but it's noted in the history of Jhyrennstar and Oacenth's death.

quote:
Those Miyeritaari who chose to remain sharn would have become dhaerow with the Corellon's Descent if they had not remained sharn. I think I read in some Forgotten Realms sourcebook that dhaerow meant "traitor" and was what the elves called the drow, and the Corellon's Descent was the spell that transformed the dark elves into drow, right?

Yes--any dark elves would have become drow had they relinquished their sharnforms.

quote:

Akhelben is Elvish for "blackstaff," right?

Not quite, no. Akhelben directly translates (as per Cormanthyr, again) into "He who defines duty and honor," if memory serves me correctly.

quote:
And what eventually happens to Danthra the Dreamer? Does her spirit move on to the heavens, or is she revived?

That was answered (and repeated) earlier. She's the Oracle of Rhymanthiin, for lack of a better title at present.

Thanks for all your interest.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  21:52:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Not quite, no. Akhelben directly translates (as per Cormanthyr, again) into "He who defines duty and honor," if memory serves me correctly.

Who gave Khelben that name? As much as I like the character, that epithet isn't particularly humble.

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  22:13:45  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually in The Fall of Myth Drannor page 27-28, he is called "He whom Magic, Honour and Duty Defines" by Mystra.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2006 :  22:38:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Actually in The Fall of Myth Drannor page 27-28, he is called "He whom Magic, Honour and Duty Defines" by Mystra.

I suppose that's pretty accurate (well, in my opinion), and better it be bestowed by a goddess rather than a mortal--or worst of all, himself.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2007 :  06:19:37  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'd be interested to know why you think "Blackstaff" was 'rubbish' - in a constructive sense of course, not a "Khelben was always my favourite and killing him off was stupid"-sense.

-- George Krashos

While -– once I have determined something to be rubbish -- I try to remain away from the same rubbish in future, I was prompted by George to actually explain why I initially determined “Blackstaff” to be rubbish in the first place.

Preamble
Let me start off by saying I’m a relative newbie to anything Realmsian, having only really gotten into Toril midway through the lifecycle of Neverwinter Nights. I did read and collect –- or is that collect and read? -- the TSR comics of old, but I fell out of touch with the realms for a long time. I like the NWN product immensely and was intrigued by the setting, therefore wishing to find out more about it -- and re-acquaint myself with the place where the Agrivars lived -- did some initial googling, only to find out that NWN and all expansions were what was called non-canon*. Wishing to also create a module for NWN, but then with a more canon or truer feel, I started my research. This led me in turn to the novels, which I started to like, love and despise for their own sake. That is how I in turn bought my copy of “Blackstaff” and decided to read it. I must stress that it was not my very first FR novel. As for my critique of that book, I shall break it up into three parts. Hopefully I won’t belabor my points overly much.

Characters and Characterization
In the prologue we are introduced to Tsarra Chaadren and some of her students. Steven Schend, hereafter simply known as the author, sets up a good premise of things to come, only to abandon all of these cameo characters, moving into chapter one. We are introduced to Raegar, who while fairly interesting in his own right, is far from entertaining. I should have stopped reading at this stage; the best of the novel was over.

However, the author carried on in this vein, with each chapter introducing -- or for the more lore astute, reintroducing –- us to various and sundry cameo characters, seemingly in an effort to re-acquaint us with the who’s who of the Realms zoo. I could say that in an effort to pad his ‘novel’, the author used this as a device to propel the plot, but I won’t. It did feel that way, but I suspect a different motive for this novel altogether.

Plot and Device
The plot can be summed up in one sentence. Tsarra and Arun’s son have a couple of -– was it four? -– days to collect information, or was it artifacts, or both, in order for a once in a gadzellium** RSE™ to take place, or not (if they fail). There is also a cardboard villain out to thwart their plan –- actually Blackstaff’s plan, since Tsarra is never in the know –- played very unconvincingly by a minor lich, with a forgettable name.

Tsarra has some minor apoplectic moments, triggered each time by her puerile simpering, sulking and or tantrum throwing, introducing us to some of Khelben’s past deeds, which she dreams (or shares) while in a comatose state. While these were mildly interesting, in a pure lore aspect, they were too disjointed to be entertaining.

Then there is the shared bond, introduced in chapter two, that never seems as life threatening –- or realms threatening -– as the two protagonists decide it must be in order for them to scamper from one famous realms figure™ to another to get the stuff in time for the whatever-is-supposed-to-happen-but-is-vital-for-future-realms-survival-event.

Setting
The really good part of this novel was the descriptions of the myriad settings, and I suspect this is where the author's other hat as FR designer filtered through with good effect. The settings were rich, well described, not unlike one would wish from any good DM in any campaign. Since I have nothing negative to say about this aspect, I shall keep it short.

In Conclusion
I suspect that this novel was prompted to set the scene for some WotC product. An RSE™ doesn’t just occur willy-nilly. I further suspect that while the author tried his level best, he just wasn’t the right tool for the job. I have to salute Mr. Schend for actually killing off Khelben -– although at that point I was just too gods damned thankful he did to actually care -– as not many authors are willing to do that to one of their protagonists. Both protagonists grated on me from the start (and I actually liked Arun’s son before this novel), the plot was flat and while the scenery was like something out of “Lord of the Rings” (the books and the movies), I felt totally cheated out of the 65 ZAR I paid for this book.

Ironically George signs his posts with a quote that can be applied to this novel. To take some artistic liberty: A novel stands and falls on its own merit. If it is well written and the author resists the invariably fatal temptation to overly use dropping the names of the ‘big folk’, it will be liked by all, not just the select few familiar with those ‘big folk’ already.

And, now that I’ve broken my own rule about revisiting rubbish, let the tomato throwing begin…

* Interestingly the latest WotC web enhancement to Fiendish Codex II, actually gives a nod to NWN HotU, and I quote “Rumors insist that Mephistopheles, or an aspect of him, is trapped in Undermountain, but no one has ever found it.” (dnd_we_20070216a.pdf – page 21)
** gadzellium - like gadzillion is to million, so this is to millenium

Edit: Formatting, now that I've figured out some more forum tags.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 07 Mar 2007 05:45:54
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2007 :  11:27:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I'm glad you elaborated on it, but I hope you don't mind a dissenting opinion now that you have clarified your position.

1. I generally tend to avoid trying to ascribe motives to an author when discussing their work, since you really can't know exactly why they did the things they did unless they specifically state their reasons. That having been said, the myriad cameos weren't, in my opinions, "padding" the novel, but introducing characters that haven't been heard from in Realms products in years, and using them to tie up loose ends in storylines that haven't been tied up for so long.

2. Obviously you can like or dislike Priamon Rasek as a villain as you will. However, to say that he is an unconvincing villain and a "minor lich" is to discount the fact that he was involved in Halaster's Highharvestide, in which he managed to kidnap a wizard more powerful than even Khelben. My point being that Priamon managed to be a major thorn in the sides of powerful wizards before, so its not like, say, a mid level funtionary of the Zhentarim or the Red Wizards being pegged as a major villain all of the sudden.

3. There have been tons of RSEs and major Realms events that haven't been tied into RPG products from WOTC. In fact, often times its a bit frustrating that there AREN'T more products tied to major events. So the massive evil corporate conspiracy theory doesn't seem to hold up here.

I've already given my thoughts on the novel throuout these threads, so I'll not backtrack into my old opinions. I will say that your opinion might be taken a bit better if you avoided hyperbole like "rubbish," especially in regards to the hard work that Steven Schend put into this book. Not liking the book and saying so is one thing, and its great that you give specific reasons so that its clear what worked and what didn't for you, but using dismissive terms like rubbish is just disrespectful.

That having been said, I appreciate that you did take the time to add what you found as a positive in the novel as well.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2007 :  00:42:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked this book, myself, though I won't be throwing any tomatoes.

I would agree however that the villain was (at least for me) not quite the highlight of the novel.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000