Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Ed's CASTLEMOURN Discussion Scroll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  06:25:27  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the 4E announcement is going to bring a premature end to this setting?

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  22:06:32  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Chyron, it all depends on sales. There are ambitious plans, but there have been holdups due to Ed's frantically busy schedule (which he has to maintain because he has to eat!) and the similarly frenetic workload of the small staff at MWP/Sovereign (witness that unfinished website). Yes, certainly, more is planned!
love,
THO

I have already suggested that my library will purchase this great book as soon as possible!

People - most librarians (at least those who have collection development responsibilities) *will* listen to your suggestions, since often they either have no knowledge of more "marginal" subjects - such as RPGs - or want to know that the books they will select for acquisition will be read. All library users have this power, so use it to influence how your local library will develop its RPG collection!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  10:47:52  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is anyone running a campaign in Castlemourn? Does anyone have any GREAT ideas for a game there? Anyone? Anyone?

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  17:57:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen the Castlemourn book in stores yet. Or maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  16:55:54  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I managed to find the hardcover here in Singapore. I bought the PDF as well just so I can have it on my laptop when I travel.

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2007 :  16:11:39  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I ordered my hardbound copy of both the campaign setting and the player's guide a few moments ago; they figure to arrive in a couple of business days. Needless to say, I'm intrigued!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  06:04:40  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeing where the Realms are going, I am suddenly intrigued about Castlemourn as well... Ed, can my campaign's PCs migrate to Castlemourn via regular planar travel or through Sigil?

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 19 Sep 2007 06:05:08
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  21:56:07  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet, the campaign setting book arrived today!

PDK, read in the CS about the estemel; in the intro to the book before even the first piece of fiction, Ed talks about migrating to Castlemourn from other worlds.

:D
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  02:02:42  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the thaele. Of all the races, they're the most interesting. The others seem pretty stock (elves, halflings, gnomes, humans, the golaunt are basically half-orcs, etc) but the thaele are neat because they are forced to drain life-force from others to survive because of their curse. That was a really nice touch. They're like vampires (they must consume blood) but worse. And the contrast provided by their healing abilities is all kinds of awesome.

I think the buccaneer class is awesome; it's what the swashbuckler from Complete... Adventurer/Warrior (I forget) should have been. Scrap fighting? YES! The inclusion of rapid climb for a sea-going class also makes sense, since I imagine the buccaneer mucking about in a ship's rigging a lot. I like the emphasis on DFA with Great Leap and Drop Attack (drop bears, oh noes!), Acrobatic Charge, etc. I think Seen the World is a little lame as an 18th level ability but the rest of the class is so thoroughly on-point that I don't really care that much.

The Dusked PrC is a neat extension of the thaele race; rhymeswords are a cool concept. They're sort of like bladesingers through a bardic lens or something. I like the idea of waymasters, too; I thought they were neat conceptually.

I thought the bay shells were cool; they reminded me of something from a book by R.A. Salvatore in his Demon Wars series, the magic stones. The little section on Folk Beliefs was a nice touch. Maybe the coolest little thing was that bit about the golem village. Nice little hook/mystery thing, just like the Mysteries. Castlemourn seems riddled with really nifty plot hooks... which is hardly surprising but the hooks themselves are pretty cool.

In fact, the golems are at the heart of a really neat set of things. Golem arms, golem lenses, the Gold Golem, golems guarding dragon lairs, golems stockpiling wealth and magical items, etc. Neat stuff.

I liked the section on new creatures; the larthar is kind of neat. It says it parallels a moose but really, it looks like an angry-ass reindeer that won't let you mess with it. I guess the parallel is in the fact that they can be up to 7 feet tall, which is a scary thought. Fantastic art for that creature.

The gone snake looks like a Gaboon viper... if it randomly dimension-doored all over the place. *shudders*

The sharae are cool; they're like shapeshifting mermaid things with an affinity for magic.

All in all, seems like a really neat setting!
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  06:39:30  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I'm feeling a bit negative toward FR4E (but also trying to keep an open mind) I am really determined to have another good look at this setting. I do hope we will see the full timeline that has been promised. I don't mind if there is not much setting development; I wouldn't mind one novel-free setting that I can play with without any players going "that ain't canon!".

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  18:06:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eremite

I wonder if the 4E announcement is going to bring a premature end to this setting?

If anything, it may boost sales if the new FR tanks.

I, for one, have a renewed interest in other settings as of now, so I will make an effort to pick this up. I just hope that it won't be a dead-end product with no follow-up material.

Looking forward to the 'grey box' feel again...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  22:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It really does have a nice feel to it; I love how there's basically an entire chapter devoted to "Stuff you can do/hooks you can pursue," and it's not just a catalogue of the different places. There's enough of that but that section is fun.
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  00:26:12  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, the player's guide finally arrived for me today. w00t!
Go to Top of Page

dickovdk
Acolyte

Denmark
1 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  08:24:45  Show Profile  Visit dickovdk's Homepage Send dickovdk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Readin thru these messages made one thing clear. I need to read these books. Result was therefore clear : Order both the Players and the campaign book.

Only problem is delivery in Denmark is really slow but I hope to be able to open both before november - thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts about the "new" Greenwood world.

Oh yes I sure hope Mr Greenwood will do us all the honour of scribbling a bit, creating the first novel (or short story) for Castlemourn - thereby showing us the way "he thought the world could/should be"

Best regards
Johnny Dickov Fagerberg
Go to Top of Page

imis999
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  21:19:02  Show Profile  Visit imis999's Homepage Send imis999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was Castlemourn created before plans were made for the transition to FR4? Reading the description, it sounds vaguely like the Castlemourn world went through a Spellplague.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  02:25:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, yes, Ed's Castlemourn came long before Wizards decided on the Spellplague for the 4e Realms (a "happening" that wasn't Ed's idea or decision). Castlemourn was originally written YEARS ago for Jim Ward's now-defunct game company, Fast Forward Entertainment.
Myself, I wondered if someone at Wizards bought and read Castlemourn and said, "Hey! We do this Big Bad Event and then present the aftermath-world, because Ed's shown us he can write one!"
Ah, well. Ed must have felt awkward, comparing the two.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2008 :  08:26:48  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Howdy,

Has there been any news on whether Castlemourn will be developed further. I'm still keen to see the full timeline that is supposed to be available for download. Thanks in advance.

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  09:14:05  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which classes are there in the Castlemourn campaign???

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

imis999
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  05:45:50  Show Profile  Visit imis999's Homepage Send imis999 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Ed still allowed to develop Castlemourn? I ask because if 4th edition FR is basically a large scale Castlemourn, I'd rather just go with the original Castlemourn that Ed controls.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  16:19:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently purchased the Castlemourn sourcebook by pre-ordering it at one of my local bookstores. I can't wait to look through it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  16:36:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I recently purchased the Castlemourn sourcebook by pre-ordering it at one of my local bookstores. I can't wait to look through it.

Cool, when you receive it and read through the book, tell us what you think. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 09 May 2008 16:37:27
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  16:42:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Cool, when you receive it and read through the book, tell us what you think. :)

Will do!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  17:12:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good. I'm eager to re-start some active chatter about CASTLEMOURN again.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 09 May 2008 17:13:38
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2008 :  23:19:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahem. A little bird told me that Castlemourn is decidedly "not dead," but also said nothing more specific can be said for awhile. So . . .

Hang in there, Castlemourn fans!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2008 :  21:47:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ahem. A little bird told me that Castlemourn is decidedly "not dead," but also said nothing more specific can be said for awhile. So . . .

Hang in there, Castlemourn fans!
love to all,
THO

I had the feeling it wasn't "dead" so much as put on the back-burner, but I'm happy to hear that news, regardless.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  11:38:44  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I picked it up about a week ago. Haven't really looked at it, been busy. I did like the Humans in the Book. And that Skull guy was cool, but then again I like skull type villains.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2008 :  15:33:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Delta.

Yeah, when I have the time to give this book a really good look, I'll share my thoughts.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 22 May 2008 15:34:05
Go to Top of Page

IceTroll
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  02:58:07  Show Profile  Visit IceTroll's Homepage Send IceTroll a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi. I'm new here, and I read that Ed Greenwood sometimes reads what's here.

I just wanted to say that I'm currently working on converting Castlemourn to 4th Edition. I'm also hoping to run a Castlemourn campaign on D&D Insider when it goes live.

I'd like to send some of my work to Mr. Greenwood for his advice, so if anyone knows a way I can do that, I'd appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  00:23:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could go ask him, through THO, in his thread over in the Chambers of Sages part of these boards, since that is where the game designers/authors have their own threads.

quote:
Originally posted by IceTroll

Hi. I'm new here, and I read that Ed Greenwood sometimes reads what's here.

I just wanted to say that I'm currently working on converting Castlemourn to 4th Edition. I'm also hoping to run a Castlemourn campaign on D&D Insider when it goes live.

I'd like to send some of my work to Mr. Greenwood for his advice, so if anyone knows a way I can do that, I'd appreciate it.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

IceTroll
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  08:46:35  Show Profile  Visit IceTroll's Homepage Send IceTroll a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Unfortunately, my word processor crashed and I lost all of my work.

I'm so frustrated right now. I had finished the golaunt, the thaele, the gnome racial feats, and was almost done with the buccaneer.

Guess I better start over while it's still fresh in my head.

You better believe I'm going to back my stuff up this time.

Edit: Ack! He's right now answering questions from January. I guess I'll forget about asking him about it and just do the best job I can.

I decided to backup my stuff on Blogger, as I've given up trying to access my Gleemax and EN World accounts. I'll include it in my info in case anyone's interested. Heck, maybe Mr. Greenwood can check it out in a couple days and get back to me around Christmas.

Edited by - IceTroll on 14 Jun 2008 09:54:05
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000