Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Ed's CASTLEMOURN Discussion Scroll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  20:42:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know Ed's not certain about how often new Castlemourn products will be produced, but I know he was VERY pleased with the superb editing job Brian Gute did (seeking out inconsistencies and "gaps where more lore was needed"), and would love to work more with Brian. There are plans for a line of products, and Ed wrote a CM serial (fiction) for GAME TRADE magazine (four consecutive issues, concluded in Dec 2006). He might well do another one.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2007 :  00:33:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I've got to hunt down those particular issues, since I missed their initial release. Thanks THO.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2007 :  15:31:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I finally got my hands on a print copy of Ed's core CASTLEMOURN book. So, here we go . . .
It is visually gorgeous. The art is good to outstanding, the typeface readable, and the content playable.
Ed has done it again. The man just has this knack of creating worlds that come alive.
Just like the Realms, this setting feels alive and real. And it could be part of a continent on the far side of Toril or your own campaign world. Just sail thence, or step through a gate/portal/estemel, and you're there.
The cities feel real, the countries feel real, and I just itch to get adventuring in them. Oh, I wish it would be with Ed as a DM, though.
And for gamers who hate "too many gods," Ed shows that he can do a superb job with only a few. Nice.
Anyone else have this yet? Reactions?
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 05 May 2007 15:33:16
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2007 :  15:36:21  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just picked up my copy and got it home. Real life is going to delay my really digging into it, but at a first glance (in the store; couldn't resist) I can only echo Lady THO. Beautiful looking, and the few snatches of text I read gave me that "intro to a real place" feeling.
Man, can't wait . . .
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2007 :  16:05:45  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just picked up mine, too. Still reading through it, but: nice job. This is where my next campaign is going. My players got their characters mired in politics in Tethyr, and have suddenly turned into "lie low" types who expect trouble to come riding up to the gates of their rural manor, so they can blast it. I do believe someone is now going to break in to that manor by night, and open an estemel to . . . Castlemourn.
Bwoohahahaha!
Thanks, Ed, as always! A new world! Wheeee!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2007 :  16:21:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Anyone else have this yet? Reactions?
Not yet... I'm still waiting for it to be listed in Australian catalogues.

I've already made room on my shelf for the book, though.

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2007 :  15:43:21  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah I can't find this book anywhere =( and I don't care for PDF. books... Anyone care to direct me where to pick this up online in book form?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2007 :  11:30:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just saw a copy of the book on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220115642958

I've bought from that seller before, and can happily recommend him.

There are 4 new copies in stock on Amazon (there were five, but I just ordered one):
http://www.amazon.com/Ed-Greenwoods-Castlemourn-Campaign-Setting/dp/1931567220

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  23:14:53  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I now have a copy on the way!

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 27 May 2007 23:15:17
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  01:36:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's weird, though, is that the book isn't scheduled to ship until the end of June... I've no idea why Amazon is going to take a month to ship something they have in stock...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  16:48:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my first email to Amazon basically gave me a stock answer. So I sent a second one... I pointed out that Barnes & Noble's website listed the book as usually shipping in 24 hours. I threatened to take my money to them and never order from Amazon again. Within a couple of hours, I had a reply. My order had somehow gotten hung up somewhere along the way. They resolved the issue, and now I should be getting the book at the end of next week.

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  03:34:24  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got my copy of Castlemourn! The cover is differnt than I've seen online. The coverart is a female in leather armor holding a sword stading in some ruins. The artwork looks nice, though all I've done is page through it for a few minutes. I will read for a few days and then post my thoughts. Yay!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  03:58:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine should be getting here at the end of the week.

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2007 :  23:32:44  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I just managed to pick this up yesterday! :)

I liked the map in the back - but I will mention that I think it was 'loosely' placed in the back - so take a look to make sure you have it before purchasing if purchasing retail. :)
Also - I have only had enough time to read Ed's introduction (nice) and the short story by him - which while there were some terms I was not sure of their meaning - I liked greatly!

I will report back as I get further in!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  08:14:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got mine from Amazon the other day. I've not had the time to do much more than just flip thru it... Though I did stop to read about The Skull. I like him! There is just something about "living" skulls that I love, and this guy is one I would happily use, in any campaign setting!

Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  18:18:24  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Particular favorites (trying not to spoiler here): Luuthaven, the "haunted" port, and the kingdom of merchant-duelists. The setting feels real . . .
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  04:53:34  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

As it stands - my reading has not progressed too far. I made it through the races and class/prestige classes - and just a tad further. I certainly like large tracts of what I see - but there are a few points I feel less at-home with.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  07:49:47  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

This may have been discussed before, so if I am retreading old ground I do apologize, but I don’t want to break protocol by posting this elsewhere.

I am curious as to Master Greenwood’s plans for this series. Is it just a one off for hardcore fans? How much publishing activity will there be for Castlemourn? I mean now that both Dragon and Dungeon are off to the fugue plane, can we expect to see Castlemourn expansions, novels, or other such material in some variant game magazines?

I tried doing some net searches, but there is little in the way of press and even the home page of Margret Wiess productions does not have a link or site for the setting.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  09:19:36  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Hope it helkps - I have not gone there - but the book itself lists a website - Castlemourn.com

Dhomal

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  10:54:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Hope it helkps - I have not gone there - but the book itself lists a website - Castlemourn.com

Dhomal

The site is under construction.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  13:59:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chyron, it all depends on sales. There are ambitious plans, but there have been holdups due to Ed's frantically busy schedule (which he has to maintain because he has to eat!) and the similarly frenetic workload of the small staff at MWP/Sovereign (witness that unfinished website). Yes, certainly, more is planned!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  17:00:19  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly, I do understand that the power of the dollar drives all

and of course I am sure that I am not alone in the hope that Master Greenwood would be able to stay busy enough on Realmslore alone so that he can do more than just eat

but I am glad to know that there is more planned if things go well and that just makes me a bit more excited about reading the things to come Much appreciation and many thanks my Lady in the Hood.

Here’s to eating (and reading) well.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2007 :  04:13:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay!

Dargoth, George... Ed's CASTLEMOURN [priced at $69.99] is now available in Australia.

I just placed my online order this morning.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2007 :  08:05:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my copy finally arrived, and I must say, I'm extraordinarily impressed with Ed's phenomenal work on CASTLEMOURN so far!

The campaign book, of course, looks great and its everything I was expecting for the most part. I've only had time to skim a couple of chapters so far, but I love what I'm seeing. And the concentration on small details, or what may seem like mundane topics to some, was what I found particularly interesting. Skimming over the individuals sections of the campaign book reminded me very much of my first experiences with reading through the Cyclopedia of the Realms from the Ol' Grey Box. It's a magical feeling I'd assumed I would never really feel again after that first experience with the 1e FR boxed set.

Well done Ed! I look forward to the future of this wonderful new world.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2007 :  08:10:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One quick question though...

In the 'Appendix 2: A Brief History of Castlemourn' section, we're told that a more complete timeline for the setting can be found at the castlemourn.com site. When attempting to access the site however, I've encountered the dreaded 'This site is under construction' message.

So, will the more detailed timeline be located anywhere else online, or will we have to wait for the completion of the site's construction?

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Jun 2007 08:11:59
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2007 :  16:27:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid we'll just have to wait for the website to be constructed. MWP/Sovereign Press is a very small company (in terms of personnel) that has tackled some very large licences and lines, and recently had some staff changes.
Ed (under the able editorship of Brian Gute, who repeatedly pointed out "holes" here and there) wrote a very long timeline history that's actually fairly scanty, but bulks up because so many places are being covered. It'll see the light of day eventually.
And yes, Sage, I wholeheartedly agree. That sense of wonder is strong; Ed just has the knack of creating worlds, sometimes I think better than any other living writer. They just "feel real" when they flow from Ed's pen.
Myself, I'd like him to imagine a really nice and cozy world, so that I could move out of this one and live in it.
In the meantime, I hope lots of gamers buy this book so we'll see more Castlemourn coverage. (I know Ed is planning another serialized story for GAME TRADE magazine.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2007 :  17:00:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Myself, I'd like him to imagine a really nice and cozy world, so that I could move out of this one and live in it.
Hopefully there'd be room enough for two, my Lady.

*fiendish snicker*

quote:
In the meantime, I hope lots of gamers buy this book so we'll see more Castlemourn coverage. (I know Ed is planning another serialized story for GAME TRADE magazine.)
love,
THO
Oooh! Looks like I've got another issue to order. Thanks THO.

Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2007 :  22:42:11  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just picked this up in Singapore today and I am really impressed with it. It might do as a "second world" for when I'm not running FR games. I hope to see a few more products in due course!

Edit: Here are the links to the Game Trade Magazine issues with the Castlemourn fiction:

http://www.gametrademagazine.com/PDFS/GTM_79_PDFS/GTM79_treeofswords.pdf
http://www.gametrademagazine.com/PDFS/GTM_80_pdfs/GTM80_Tree_of_Swords.pdf
http://www.gametrademagazine.com/PDFS/GTM_81_PDFS/gtm81-tree_of_swordspart3.pdf
http://www.gametrademagazine.com/PDFS/GTM_82_PDFS/GTM_82_Tree_of_Swords.pdf

Best
E

Edited by - Eremite on 13 Jul 2007 22:52:05
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  06:29:42  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has there been any news on 1. the website being set up and 2. new products?

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  19:21:34  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One can only hope this quailty, detailed setting gets the support it deserves.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000