Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Classes built from the ground up
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2009 :  07:21:42  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
First, if anyone knows a book that has a similar system, post that, so I can look at the way they did it. I like to think up ways that my games can be different from one another, and a key way to do that is keep the pc creation different. An idea I came up with reciently was totally stripping down a base class. The one I chose was fighter. Replacing every positive trait they have with feats and taking the trait away. Then letting the player build the character with the feats they have. Making every ability avalible to any player but making them each cost feats. For example you would strip the fighter of all 3 armor feats, martial and simple weapons (each for a feat), shield feat, making all your saves weak (you have to buy each strong as one feat), your base attack bonus would be weakest and you'd have to buy mid with one feat and strong with 2. Each level of a spell caster level would be one feat. Your hit die are 1d4 and each increase costs one feat 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, 1d12. I think turning would be two feats, first would give you turn as a paladine and the next would give you normal turn. Even give you the chance to buy +1 or +2 ecl races with feats. I was thinking 3 feats per +1 bonus. Obviously there is a bit of work to be done here but I'd like imput and ideas. I'm also not a huge balance guy, so that's not the biggest issue; although, I'm trying to keep it from getting too out of balance. I was thinking each level of sneak attack would be a feat. I was thinking each pc would get 2 feats per level and an extra feat at 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th, this would be in addition to the feat at 3rd, 6th, ect. The only class skills would be Craft and Profession, you would have to buy other class skills with feats. There are a lot of feats that already do this but I could create a few more with lots of skills in them.

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  05:47:24  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found this scroll now; I haven't looked in the D&D Core Products hardly at all in the past six months. This looks interesting. I'll have to play with it and see if things are relatively consistent across all classes. Probably not in 3.5, definitely identical in 4E.

It doesn't even have to be feats, per se; you could simply define a feat as being equivalent to one character creation point (CCP) and use that as your arbitrary unit of "currency"... although I would probably make a feat worth 2 CCP and 2 skill points worth 1 CCP; that balances them out better. I had attempted to transform 3.5 into a classless system after reading and trying out the 4E rules (because building a classless system would have been more original than giving us a collection of classes that all have the same powers with different names). However, a classless system didn't really "feel" like D&D to me or my other players, so we've settled for a bastard child of 3.5 and Pathfinder.

Sorry I didn't find this earlier, but, as I said, I don't hang out in the D&D Core area much any more.

Edit: Mutants & Masterminds has a classless, level-less system based on the D20 core mechanic. I haven't played the game, but I recently picked up a copy of the revised edition out of curiosity. I may not ever actually play it (superhero RPGs were something I did in my 20's, back in the 1990's... I'm largely committed to supporting Pathfinder and Golarion now) but it may give me some interesting house-rule ideas.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 30 Mar 2010 05:59:50
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  05:55:50  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found it because of your comment!

I think it has merit to be looked at to say the least.

I'm going to monkey around with it and see what happens.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  14:24:49  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure but Das Schwarze Auge/The Black Eye is a system that has a sort of character creation points. It's been a while since I last played it.

Alternity could be useful too. It's a skilled based system. To improve your character at each level you can buy or increase skills with points. It's designed for modern day and sci-fi campaigns but could easily be adopted for fantasy. There sould also be a supplement handling magic or psionics.
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  14:44:06  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GURPS and Hero System are two fairly solid point buy systems that you can put together just about anything with (note: don't be intimidated by the vast size of the books, it's all fairly straight-forward). Also, didn't one of the 3e supplements deal with semi-point based strip downs? Unearthed Arcana or some such?

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  21:55:05  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Unearthed Arcana did something with point buy for stats and improved Hit Dice, and possibly class skills... but I don't have my copy handy to confirm. Anyway, I'm going to see what I come up with for the classes as published in 3.5, and then break down the Pathfinder classes the same way and see what I get in comparison.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  16:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a document called the Class Construction System that is pretty good for creating v3.5 classes. I have not tried using it with Pathfinder classes yet. If anyone wants a copy I could email it to you, or you might be able to find it on your own on the interwebs. (BTW, I am not the creator of this document, I just like it a lot.)

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  16:28:47  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also a free PDF Conversion Guide for Pathfinder that details some of the design "thoughts" on (re)building a class.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000