Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Ed's CASTLEMOURN Discussion Scroll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  23:31:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Now that Castlemourn appears to be ready for shipping, there's likely going to be some chatter between those of us who've been wanting to get our hands on another of Ed's master works.

As such, I thought it would be appropriate to assign a special place in these halls for discussions surrounding Castlemourn. Though the setting doesn't immediately relate to the Realms, both Big Al and myself felt that the D&D Products shelf is actually more likely place for such discussion.

All scribes interested in discussing the setting, should take note of this strict ruling:- ALL Castlemourn discussion should be confined to this one particular scroll. And to keep it up-to-date, I'll be making it a "sticky" for the time being.

Now, let's begin...

Mod Edit: *Casts Dissolve Sticky*

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Feb 2009 04:39:20

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  23:33:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Firstly:-

quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Ed's Castlemourn Campaign Setting is now shipping at Amazon !

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931567220/102-1274568-6220903

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  23:35:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And for Australian fans, I'm trying to track down an official release date. In case any other Australian scribes locates a particular date, I would ask that you post it here as well.

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Jan 2007 23:35:41
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  23:47:10  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And for everyone who can't wait, I have two copies coming for sale!!

Please read my Delzoun's Bookshop Scroll.

Delz

PS Sorry Sage for treading on your toes and straying from my scroll!

Seriously I have 2 coming...

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  07:11:37  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really looking forward to this as there is not much Realms material for me this year. What I have seen and heard until now seems great; and as its Greenwood I actually find myself being optimistic. A rare feeling indeed..
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  08:33:22  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, I wonder if Castlemourn will have be a similar setting's feel to it as the Realms since its from one and the same creator. But I will leave further musings for now, and might elaborate on this once I call Castlemourn my own.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  23:40:06  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. I just did a quick search to see what I could find about Castlemourn, and discovered that Drivethrurpg(.com) currently have the Player's Guide to Castlemourn as a free download. Frankly I couldn't quite believe my luck, but I've got myself a copy, and I'd suggest any other curious sages check it out too - it would have been rude of me not to share this: http://www.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=256_331_700&products_id=12630
As and when I get time to read it, I'll let you know what I think.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  23:57:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Reefy! I signed up and am getting a copy right now.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  00:10:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's been a free download since.... summer/fall of 06. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  00:25:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Faraer originally mentioned it back in Aug '06.

I'm sure Kuje, like myself, and probably Faraer, have gone over the free Player's Guide more than once since its been downloaded.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Jan 2007 00:31:04
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  02:43:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

But before I kept putting it off, then forgeting about it, and so forth.

Anyway I took a look at the setting and loved what I saw so far.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 26 Jan 2007 02:43:44
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  02:57:24  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

But before I kept putting it off, then forgeting about it, and so forth.

Anyway I took a look at the setting and loved what I saw so far.

Same here
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  21:12:39  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crossing my fingers that it comes in by today Friday !
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  23:58:32  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, I didn't know that. Still, I think it's worthy enough of a reminder.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  02:49:10  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

quote:

Okay, I didn't know that. Still, I think it's worthy enough of a reminder.

Exactly!!! very worthy of being mentioned more then once . I downloaded the players guide, very cool. I will be purchasing these both very soon. Sage, will castlemourn be an exception to the code of conduct? Will we be able to delve into this, within the halls of candlekeep, as the setting evolves.

Edited by - scererar on 27 Jan 2007 02:54:07
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  02:57:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Exactly!!! very worthy of being mentioned more then once . I downloaded the players guide, very cool. I will be purchasing these both very soon. Sage, will castlemourn be an exception to the code of conduct? Will we be able to delve into this, within the halls of candlekeep, as the setting evolves.

I dunno. I kinda say that it wouldn't be that much of a problem because we've discussed it, on Keep, on and off since 2005. Yes, some of us have been waiting 2 years for this setting. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  02:59:18  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has the book really shipped? Amazon currently says 2-5 weeks.

I don't know how long the player's guide (look, no caps or quotes) will be free for. Best get it now.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  03:07:56  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I dunno. I kinda say that it wouldn't be that much of a problem because we've discussed it, on Keep, on and off since 2005. Yes, some of us have been waiting 2 years for this setting. :)

well, if the scribes here get a vote, I say yes. Ed has influenced all of us, at one time or another, throughout the years. We should be able to side track from the realms, a little bit at least. AL, let's build a portal hey
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  03:15:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

well, if the scribes here get a vote, I say yes. Ed has influenced all of us, at one time or another, throughout the years. We should be able to side track from the realms, a little bit at least. AL, let's build a portal hey

Well, remember, Ed's talked about CASTLEMOURN in his replies, and some of us have asked questions about it in the past. And, as Kuje said, some of us have also been waiting two years for this project to be published, so there's obviously a fan-base for the setting here at Candlekeep.

Besides, as I said in the initial post... I've discussed this with Alaundo and he agrees that so long as any and all CASTLEMOURN discussion is kept within this scroll, there shouldn't be a problem.

Naturally, if other scrolls are opened by scribes, they'll either be sealed and re-directed back here, or left open if the discussion pertains to the Realmslore itself -- like integrating elements of CASTLEMOURN into the Realms for example.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  03:17:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I'm not entirely sure.

Two posters at EN World "claim" to have just received their copies, though they have yet to answer any questions about the book.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  03:18:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know how long the player's guide (look, no caps or quotes) will be free for. Best get it now.

It's available but it says it'll ship within 2 to 5 weeks.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  03:27:16  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's cool that it is free. However, it is in black and white. Additionally, the graphics are not the greatest in the free version. I for one will be purchasing the hardbound versions.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  04:34:21  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazon says I won't get it until Feb 16, earliest. Drat. Sorries for any confusion.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  11:12:09  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Reefy!

Just downloaded it and will look at it as soon as I find the time. You can count on me to be back with an opinion once I am thru with this 42-page booklet.

(BTW, i think it really is a shame that they sell such booklets! There whole purpose it to function as a teaser, actually! I have seen a similar one for Monte Cooks 'Ptolus' that was for sale as well. I don't know, might be just me, but you don't pay for a movie trailer either. Just a little thought on the side.........)

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  21:49:02  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

(BTW, i think it really is a shame that they sell such booklets! There whole purpose it to function as a teaser, actually! I have seen a similar one for Monte Cooks 'Ptolus' that was for sale as well. I don't know, might be just me, but you don't pay for a movie trailer either. Just a little thought on the side.........)

Actually, I think the idea's rather neat. It's cheap enough that I'd happily pick it up with having to worry about the cost and would likely encourage me to pick up the real thing when it comes out. I don't think it would work for everything though, but for something large like a new campaign world I think it's a good idea.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  22:46:22  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not just a 'teaser'. Unlike the Player's Guide to Faerûn, this book is just what it calls itself, a player's guide. You can give it to players and it's a good introduction to what they need to know to play in the setting.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  23:32:47  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's not just a 'teaser'. Unlike the Player's Guide to Faer�n, this book is just what it calls itself, a player's guide. You can give it to players and it's a good introduction to what they need to know to play in the setting.

That's true actually. I'd not thought of it in quite that way, which might sound a bit stupid, but it makes perfect sense. It's the background info players have access to and can help them create characters, sort of like a Volo's Guide, but with not quite as much embellishment. Probably.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  23:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far I like what's there. It's very "Ed Greenwood", of course, yet totally distinct from the Forgotten Realms. I especially enjoyed the section on cosmology and the gods. It's neat how the constellations are made to be important.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  02:25:21  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Castlemourn Campaign Setting ebook is on sale:

http://enworld.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=21018&
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  02:52:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed tells me the print version of the main Castlemourn book has finally reached MWP from the printers; MWP tells him it's "gorgeous," and he's eagerly awaiting his copies so he can confirm that for all scribes.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  03:07:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neat! I'll be curious to hear what Ed thinks about the printed version.

In fact, how does he feel about the end result of the CASTLEMOURN product itself, THO?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000