Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Player's Handbook 3 - 4E
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  15:15:18  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok I know 4E isn\t very popular in these halls, but some people do enjoy it so I'd like to start this thread about the Player's Handbook 3 and get everyone's thoughts on this (the races, classes, psionic power source, Skill Powers, Feats, etc...). Discuss.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Edited by - Alisttair on 08 Apr 2010 15:16:22

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  15:31:23  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Skill Powers (which were originally introduced through DDI but not everyone has DDI) are a nice option to have. I like how you can get more out of your Skill Training selection by haivng these options. I hope they come out with a larger selection of them to choose from in later books.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  16:00:31  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thoughts:

Races: While I'm not enamored with the Githzerai, I can see their appeal for playing a psionic character. I'm happy that finally did a good write-up of a Minotaur race. When attempting to play one in 3.5 I couldn't stand the LA or extra racial hit die. Definitly fun and more balanced IMO. As for the Shardmind, meh it's another psionic flavored race. Since I'm not keen on Psionics, it's just not my cup of tea however the art looks pretty decent and I like how it gets a bouns to either Wis or Cha when you choose this race. Last but not least is the Wilden. It's an excellent choice for those who want to play pretty much any Primal class and it's flavor is unique too. Good stuff there.

Classes: Starting with the Ardent, it's probably the one Psionic class i'd try because I love how it plays into the emotional state of the character. The battlemind is......pretty bad if you ask me. It needs a lot of tweaking and probably the worst defender of the bunch. That's a glowing review compared to the Character Optimization boards who literally shred the class. The Monk is probably second on my list to try out and is still very similar to the 3.5 version. I like it alot. The Psion is something I haven't even glossed over, so I have no idea how it looks. The Runepriest is a nother spin on a divine leader. It fits well with the Dwarven aspect of Religion and it's flavor is unique to that style. Also, it has some aspect of the 3.5 Binder class which I liked. Ah, the Seeker. I had hoped this would've been our Martial controller, but they took the Primal/spirit path which makes me sort of sad. But the class is really interesting and gives you a Green Arrow/Hawkeye style character with the variety of shots you can make. As far as the Hybrid Characters go, I'd be hard pressed to actually play one because I enjoy the roles the classes play into. Mix/Matching styles is all fun and everything, but they can't be counted on to get a specific job done.

Skill Powers: This is pretty much hit or miss with me. Most classes have pretty good utility powers that they can draw on and are often better than skill powers of that level. Still, diversity and options are what make them useful and if you play a paladin who doesn't like their Utility powers (something I've seen happen) a Skill Power is sometimes the better choice.

Edited by - Diffan on 09 Apr 2010 16:01:41
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2010 :  16:30:51  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hybrid characters look like a good option to take instead of multi-classing through feats. I can see the pros and cons to each, and its wonderful to have the option of either, without them being balance-breaking.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000