Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Realms of the Elves - which story belongs where?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  10:46:24  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I recently bought The Last Mythal Anthology. Now I was wondering where all the stories tie in nicely, i.e. 'Comrades at odds' being a follow-up to the 'Hunter's Blade' Trilogy.

So please help me out, fellow scribes (in italics I added the answers I recieved from various sages):

'Traitors' - intro to Year of the Rogue Dragons trilogy

'The Staff of Valmaxian' - doesn't follow up any novels, but it was once going to be a part of the cancelled Neverwinter Nights Anthology, and the story is about an item that can be found in the NWN1 CRPG.

'Necessary Sacrifices' - 'the story is a totally separate entity from the novels. Just something that I wanted to explore. WOTC basically told the contributors to that anthology to write "something to do with elves" and gave us free rein after that. I wanted to explore how a crusade can turn nasty, and Necessary Sacrifices is the result. Lisa'

'The Greater Treasure' - story is conneted to Erik Scott de Bie's new novel Depth of Madness, 'but only in that they are about the same pretty lady' sais he.

'Comrades at Odds' - follow-up to the Hunter's Blade Trilogy, 1371 DR.

'Tears so white' - 'occurs [in 1374 DR] during Rich Baker's Last Mythal trilogy (it's "where the Knights went" rather than being front and center battling, for the latter half of those books), whereas the "Swords" trilogy Ed's currently writing about the Knights is set decades earlier, starting in the Year of the Spur [1348 DR]. love, THO.'

'The Bladesingers Lesson' - an additional battle scene from Final Gate

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 12 Jan 2007 10:34:32

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  11:56:05  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure that I understand the question but ...

1. It's an intro to Year of the Rogue Dragons trilogy
2. Doesn't follow anything, I think
3. This is also unique, unrelated to any novel
4. One character from the story will be in Erik's new novel (the most interesting character ...)
6. I'm not sure, some Knights of Myth Drannor, Larloch, El, the Srinshee in 1374 DR
7. It's an addition to to Final Gate, one of the battles

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  15:58:06  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maruluthu Mistrivvin

I'm not sure that I understand the question but ...

That all sounds as if you understood me perfectly. Thanks.

While we are at it:

quote:

4. One character from the story will be in Erik's new novel (the most interesting character ...)

What is Erik's new novel anyway?

quote:

6. I'm not sure, some Knights of Myth Drannor, Larloch, El, the Srinshee in 1374 DR

As we speak of the KoMD - at what time does their new (and 1st??) trilogy take place?

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  16:04:00  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
3. This is also unique, unrelated to any novel

I have only read the short story of RAS so far. Concerning the work of Lisa Smedman, I was thinking and silenty hoping her story ('Necessary Sacrifices') would be a forshadow of the new trilogy 'the Lady Penitent'.

Guess I still have to wait to read more of Halisstra Melarn.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  16:45:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

What is Erik's new novel anyway?

Well met.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/959727400

quote:

To be sure!

I should say that the stories are only connected in that they are about the same pretty lady. If you liked her in "tGT," she's up to the same sorts of tricks in Depths.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 05 Jan 2007 16:50:49
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  16:50:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As we speak of the KoMD - at what time does their new (and 1st??) trilogy take place?

Before they became known as the Knight's, so 20 to 30 years ago in game.

As for Ed's story in the anthology, I'd say it takes place between book 2 and 3 and ends at the end of book 3. Think it's those two books. Since the Srinshee and El had to be removed when Sarya took over the mythal in MD, otherwise they would have felt the mythal being changed.

RAS's story takes place after the last Drizzt book since it continues the events with Obould, Drizzt, and the elf that I'm not going to try to spell. I thought that that story was dated with 1371 as the date.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 05 Jan 2007 16:52:45
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  21:29:35  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

RAS's story takes place after the last Drizzt book since it continues the events with Obould, Drizzt, and the elf that I'm not going to try to spell.

Ooh! Ooh! I can spell it! It's...Um...On second thought, no I can't.

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  21:43:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aglaranna
Ooh! Ooh! I can spell it! It's...Um...On second thought, no I can't.

Grin. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  23:43:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Before they became known as the Knight's, so 20 to 30 years ago in game.
And, as I recall, Ed has discussed this before in his replies about the KoMD novels -- or rather, just Swords of Eveningstar.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  23:48:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Staff of Valmaxian" doesn't follow up any novels, but it was once going to be a part of the cancelled Neverwinter Nights Anthology, and the story is about an item that can be found in the Neverwinter Nights CRPG.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  12:49:30  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

"The Staff of Valmaxian" doesn't follow up any novels, but it was once going to be a part of the cancelled Neverwinter Nights Anthology, and the story is about an item that can be found in the Neverwinter Nights CRPG.

Thanks Rino, that's interesting! So a small part of NWN becomes canon after all!

How do you acquire such knowledge, I wonder???

Edited by - Ergdusch on 06 Jan 2007 12:51:22
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  23:23:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks Rino, that's interesting! So a small part of NWN becomes canon after all!

Heh, you're welcome. I saw the title "Staff of Valmaxian" and immediately remembered the item from Neverwinter Nights (which I do play), then heard here on the boards that it was originally going to be in that cancelled anthology.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  11:20:28  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Heh, you're welcome. I saw the title "Staff of Valmaxian" and immediately remembered the item from Neverwinter Nights (which I do play), then heard here on the boards that it was originally going to be in that cancelled anthology.

You are truely worthy to bare the title of Master of Reamlslore, indeed! Thanks again.

*hunting down the "Staff of Valmaxian" on the internet to find out what powers he holds*

Edited by - Ergdusch on 07 Jan 2007 11:22:28
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  11:26:01  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found it!

Whoever is interested may have a look at the Staff of Valmaxian.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  16:03:42  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd that the Staff of Power is more close to actual stats

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  17:11:59  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd that the Staff of Power is more close to actual stats

You mean that the stats given in NWN do not reflect the powers and possibilities the Staff provides in the novel?! I have not read the story yet, so I can't judge on that. I will do so at once!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  20:16:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, how do we know that the Staff wasn't first created as a game item, and it's actually the story that got things wrong (and there are inconsistancies--in the novel it could cast Magic Missiles)? Also remember that stories and novels often make things seem more powerful than they actually are.

At any rate, thanks for the compliments, Ergdusch.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 Jan 2007 20:18:51
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  11:22:41  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, how do we know that the Staff wasn't first created as a game item, and it's actually the story that got things wrong (and there are inconsistancies--in the novel it could cast Magic Missiles)? Also remember that stories and novels often make things seem more powerful than they actually are.

Characters and items tend to leave a more powerful impression in novels as their stats may hint at, that is true indeed. And has been discussed a lot in these halls (esp. concerning Drizzt me thinks.) I will not argue on that point with you. Neither as for what came fist, the Staff from the game or the Staff from the book - it could very well be either way. I am not to tell. Maybe Ed could? Or Philip Athans? I will go ask the latter!

quote:

At any rate, thanks for the compliments, Ergdusch.

You are most welcome.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 08 Jan 2007 11:27:11
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  11:26:33  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Philip Athans does not have a 'desk' in the Chamber of Sages! How so?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  11:28:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming it's because he's never registered as a scribe here at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  16:08:32  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Someone should tell him that it is about time to do so!

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  16:48:34  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I moved my discussion of the story 'Staff of Valmaxian' to the appropriate thread in the Book Club section - here.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 08 Jan 2007 16:59:14
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2007 :  23:12:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I hate to burst your bubble, Ergdusch, but Philip Athans doesn't seem one to hang out at messageboards like this, sorry.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  08:45:43  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This comes from Lisa Smedman personally regarding her novel 'Necessary Sacrifices:

quote:
To answer your question, the story in Realms of the Elves is a totally separate entity from the novels. Just something that I wanted to explore. WOTC basically told the contributors to that anthology to write "something to do with elves" and gave us free rein after that. I wanted to explore how a crusade can turn nasty, and Necessary Sacrifices is the result.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  08:48:51  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I hate to burst your bubble, Ergdusch, but Philip Athans doesn't seem one to hang out at messageboards like this, sorry.

That is really a loss, to him also!

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  17:09:32  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Well met

Aye, I did invite Phil over some time ago but alas he simply doesn't have time to devote to message boards. If there are specific questions then I can certainly pass them onto him (email me at my usual address).

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  23:21:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He does check-in over at WotC sometimes -- though I don't recall his username.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000