Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Realms of the Elves - which story belongs where?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ergdusch Posted - 05 Jan 2007 : 10:46:24
I recently bought The Last Mythal Anthology. Now I was wondering where all the stories tie in nicely, i.e. 'Comrades at odds' being a follow-up to the 'Hunter's Blade' Trilogy.

So please help me out, fellow scribes (in italics I added the answers I recieved from various sages):

'Traitors' - intro to Year of the Rogue Dragons trilogy

'The Staff of Valmaxian' - doesn't follow up any novels, but it was once going to be a part of the cancelled Neverwinter Nights Anthology, and the story is about an item that can be found in the NWN1 CRPG.

'Necessary Sacrifices' - 'the story is a totally separate entity from the novels. Just something that I wanted to explore. WOTC basically told the contributors to that anthology to write "something to do with elves" and gave us free rein after that. I wanted to explore how a crusade can turn nasty, and Necessary Sacrifices is the result. Lisa'

'The Greater Treasure' - story is conneted to Erik Scott de Bie's new novel Depth of Madness, 'but only in that they are about the same pretty lady' sais he.

'Comrades at Odds' - follow-up to the Hunter's Blade Trilogy, 1371 DR.

'Tears so white' - 'occurs [in 1374 DR] during Rich Baker's Last Mythal trilogy (it's "where the Knights went" rather than being front and center battling, for the latter half of those books), whereas the "Swords" trilogy Ed's currently writing about the Knights is set decades earlier, starting in the Year of the Spur [1348 DR]. love, THO.'

'The Bladesingers Lesson' - an additional battle scene from Final Gate
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 11 Jan 2007 : 23:21:20
He does check-in over at WotC sometimes -- though I don't recall his username.
Alaundo Posted - 11 Jan 2007 : 17:09:32
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm assuming it's because he's never registered as a scribe here at Candlekeep.

Well met

Aye, I did invite Phil over some time ago but alas he simply doesn't have time to devote to message boards. If there are specific questions then I can certainly pass them onto him (email me at my usual address).

Ergdusch Posted - 11 Jan 2007 : 08:48:51
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Yeah, I hate to burst your bubble, Ergdusch, but Philip Athans doesn't seem one to hang out at messageboards like this, sorry.

That is really a loss, to him also!
Ergdusch Posted - 11 Jan 2007 : 08:45:43
This comes from Lisa Smedman personally regarding her novel 'Necessary Sacrifices:

quote:
To answer your question, the story in Realms of the Elves is a totally separate entity from the novels. Just something that I wanted to explore. WOTC basically told the contributors to that anthology to write "something to do with elves" and gave us free rein after that. I wanted to explore how a crusade can turn nasty, and Necessary Sacrifices is the result.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 08 Jan 2007 : 23:12:18
Yeah, I hate to burst your bubble, Ergdusch, but Philip Athans doesn't seem one to hang out at messageboards like this, sorry.
Ergdusch Posted - 08 Jan 2007 : 16:48:34
I moved my discussion of the story 'Staff of Valmaxian' to the appropriate thread in the Book Club section - here.
Ergdusch Posted - 08 Jan 2007 : 16:08:32
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Someone should tell him that it is about time to do so!
The Sage Posted - 08 Jan 2007 : 11:28:45
Ergdusch Posted - 08 Jan 2007 : 11:26:33
Philip Athans does not have a 'desk' in the Chamber of Sages! How so?
Ergdusch Posted - 08 Jan 2007 : 11:22:41
quote:

Well, how do we know that the Staff wasn't first created as a game item, and it's actually the story that got things wrong (and there are inconsistancies--in the novel it could cast Magic Missiles)? Also remember that stories and novels often make things seem more powerful than they actually are.

Characters and items tend to leave a more powerful impression in novels as their stats may hint at, that is true indeed. And has been discussed a lot in these halls (esp. concerning Drizzt me thinks.) I will not argue on that point with you. Neither as for what came fist, the Staff from the game or the Staff from the book - it could very well be either way. I am not to tell. Maybe Ed could? Or Philip Athans? I will go ask the latter!

quote:

At any rate, thanks for the compliments, Ergdusch.

You are most welcome.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 20:16:09
Well, how do we know that the Staff wasn't first created as a game item, and it's actually the story that got things wrong (and there are inconsistancies--in the novel it could cast Magic Missiles)? Also remember that stories and novels often make things seem more powerful than they actually are.

At any rate, thanks for the compliments, Ergdusch.
Ergdusch Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 17:11:59
quote:
Originally posted by Maruluthu Mistrivvin

I'd that the Staff of Power is more close to actual stats

You mean that the stats given in NWN do not reflect the powers and possibilities the Staff provides in the novel?! I have not read the story yet, so I can't judge on that. I will do so at once!
Marc Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 16:03:42
I'd that the Staff of Power is more close to actual stats
Ergdusch Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 11:26:01
Found it!

Whoever is interested may have a look at the Staff of Valmaxian.
Ergdusch Posted - 07 Jan 2007 : 11:20:28
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:

"The Staff of Valmaxian" doesn't follow up any novels, but it was once going to be a part of the cancelled Neverwinter Nights Anthology, and the story is about an item that can be found in the Neverwinter Nights CRPG.

Thanks Rino, that's interesting! So a small part of NWN becomes canon after all!

How do you acquire such knowledge, I wonder???

Heh, you're welcome. I saw the title "Staff of Valmaxian" and immediately remembered the item from Neverwinter Nights (which I do play), then heard here on the boards that it was originally going to be in that cancelled anthology.

You are truely worthy to bare the title of Master of Reamlslore, indeed! Thanks again.

*hunting down the "Staff of Valmaxian" on the internet to find out what powers he holds*
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 Jan 2007 : 23:23:53
quote:

quote:

"The Staff of Valmaxian" doesn't follow up any novels, but it was once going to be a part of the cancelled Neverwinter Nights Anthology, and the story is about an item that can be found in the Neverwinter Nights CRPG.

Thanks Rino, that's interesting! So a small part of NWN becomes canon after all!

Heh, you're welcome. I saw the title "Staff of Valmaxian" and immediately remembered the item from Neverwinter Nights (which I do play), then heard here on the boards that it was originally going to be in that cancelled anthology.
Ergdusch Posted - 06 Jan 2007 : 12:49:30
quote:

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 05 Jan 2007 : 23:48:07
The Sage Posted - 05 Jan 2007 : 23:43:33
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

As we speak of the KoMD - at what time does their new (and 1st??) trilogy take place?

Before they became known as the Knight's, so 20 to 30 years ago in game.
And, as I recall, Ed has discussed this before in his replies about the KoMD novels -- or rather, just Swords of Eveningstar.
Kuje Posted - 05 Jan 2007 : 21:43:44
quote:
Originally posted by Aglaranna
Ooh! Ooh! I can spell it! It's...Um...On second thought, no I can't.

Grin. :)
Aglaranna Posted - 05 Jan 2007 : 21:29:35
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

As we speak of the KoMD - at what time does their new (and 1st??) trilogy take place?

RAS's story takes place after the last Drizzt book since it continues the events with Obould, Drizzt, and the elf that I'm not going to try to spell.

Ooh! Ooh! I can spell it! It's...Um...On second thought, no I can't.
Kuje Posted - 05 Jan 2007 : 16:50:51
quote:

Before they became known as the Knight's, so 20 to 30 years ago in game.

As for Ed's story in the anthology, I'd say it takes place between book 2 and 3 and ends at the end of book 3. Think it's those two books. Since the Srinshee and El had to be removed when Sarya took over the mythal in MD, otherwise they would have felt the mythal being changed.

RAS's story takes place after the last Drizzt book since it continues the events with Obould, Drizzt, and the elf that I'm not going to try to spell. I thought that that story was dated with 1371 as the date.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 05 Jan 2007 : 16:45:47
quote:

What is Erik's new novel anyway?

Well met.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/959727400

quote:

4. One character from the story will be in Erik's new novel (the most interesting character ...)

To be sure!

I should say that the stories are only connected in that they are about the same pretty lady. If you liked her in "tGT," she's up to the same sorts of tricks in Depths.

Cheers
Ergdusch Posted - 05 Jan 2007 : 16:04:00
quote:
3. This is also unique, unrelated to any novel

I have only read the short story of RAS so far. Concerning the work of Lisa Smedman, I was thinking and silenty hoping her story ('Necessary Sacrifices') would be a forshadow of the new trilogy 'the Lady Penitent'.

Guess I still have to wait to read more of Halisstra Melarn.
Ergdusch Posted - 05 Jan 2007 : 15:58:06
quote:

I'm not sure that I understand the question but ...

That all sounds as if you understood me perfectly. Thanks.

While we are at it:

quote:

4. One character from the story will be in Erik's new novel (the most interesting character ...)

What is Erik's new novel anyway?

quote:

6. I'm not sure, some Knights of Myth Drannor, Larloch, El, the Srinshee in 1374 DR

Marc Posted - 05 Jan 2007 : 11:56:05
I'm not sure that I understand the question but ...

1. It's an intro to Year of the Rogue Dragons trilogy
2. Doesn't follow anything, I think
3. This is also unique, unrelated to any novel
6. I'm not sure, some Knights of Myth Drannor, Larloch, El, the Srinshee in 1374 DR
7. It's an addition to to Final Gate, one of the battles

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000