Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  03:05:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Thank you very well for the plotline points Ed and I'll post the final results of it when and if it happens. This is all I wanted and more. You'll be pleased to note that none of the criteria you listed will disqualify our young Lord's courtship.

I truly am amazed.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  09:58:40  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I never expected such a great answer from Ed and thank him for it.

But yes, in the case of her Royal Highness, the characters are no stranger to Allusair or Cormyr having been in the region for thirteen years game time and are just now reaching the point where Azoun will be slain in his climatic battle with the Red Dragon. Chartered adventurers whom have fought at Cormyr's side against the Horde and plenty of Zhentish plots. Enobled for one of their many rescues and have the dubious reward of being the Lords of the Keep on the Borderlands (Stonelands)

The character in question is pretty much utterly removed from any issues of power given he's from the Far East in Wa (adapted now to Fighter/Master Samurai class). They've been lovers for a very long time in all this and I've always played it as he's just another courageous lover that's fallen in love with her. The player is interesting in RPGing the fact that as an aging adventurer, he wants to solidify some sign that his relationship with her has been more than physical and courts her thus.

It'll all depend on how I set up her reaction and RPGing but anyone interested can find the full story in http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8663

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 16 Jan 2007 10:00:05
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  21:53:04  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met!

I have what I hope is a simple question on blazonry: will the Heralds allow a worshipper of the Red Knight to use a querterly or checky field without it counting as a first "blazon" if there is one charge on the field? (I.e., can a worshipper of the Red Knight use a quarterly or checky field without having to pay the Heralds big gold for it?)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  03:50:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. This time I come bearing a surprise from Ed, a follow-up for Thangorn:

Aha. Your mention of music for Storm put me in mind of a ‘set’ of music I cobbled together for use for Storm’s performances. Here are a few real-world musical selections I’ve used, in the format: song/ group/one of the CDs or albums the song appears on. An asterisk indicates music I feel is especially “key” or “core” to Storm.

The Prickly Bush/Steeleye Span/Time
The Weaver/Steeleye Span/TheCollection: Steeleye Span In Concert
[live version]
*Dawn of the Day/Steeleye Span/Tonight’s The Night
[[Maddy Prior’s vocals on “Dawn of the Day” are a little high in pitch and on two passages too “sharp/piercing/edgy,” but otherwise, this IS Storm]]
Honest Work/Maddy Prior/Flesh & Blood
Who Am I?/Maddy Prior/Flesh & Blood
Reynardine/Maddy Prior/Arthur the King
Elspeth of Nottingham/Focus/Focus III [note: instrumental]
Lord Baker/Sinead O’Connor/Sean-Nos Nua
Push/Sarah McLachlan/Juno Awards 2005 [live version]
Unrelated Thing/They Might Be Giants/John Henry
Afterglow/Genesis/Seconds Out [live version]
More Fool Me/Genesis/Selling England By The Pound
*Broadsword/Jethro Tull/Broadsword and the Beast
Minstrel Hall/Blackmore’s Night/Shadows of the Moon [note: instrumental]
Home Again/Blackmore’s Night/Fires At Midnight
Crowning of the King/Blackmore’s Night/Fires At Midnight
Bonny Portmore/Lorenna McKennitt/The Visit
The Lady of Shalott/Lorenna McKennitt/The Visit
*I Cried For Us/Kate & Anna McGarrigle/Love Over And Over
*The Bike Song/Kate & Anna McGarrigle/Matapedia
*Alexandra Leaving/Leonard Cohen/Ten New Songs
Love Itself/Leonard Cohen/Ten New Songs
The Faith/Leonard Cohen/Dear Heather
*Isabella/Enya/Only Time: The Collection
Anywhere Is/Enya/Only Time: The Collection
*Cheerio/Jethro Tull/Broadsword and the Beast

Please note that these aren’t “Eddie’s Musical Favourites” (and are by no means all “medieval” in sound. But they DO evoke Storm for me and for my “home” campaign Realms gamers.

So saith Ed. Whose eclectic taste in music (everything from Kipper Family to Ketelby, Barenaked Ladies to Bonzo Dog Doodah Band, and Rush - - who played at his high school back when he was attending it - - to Respighi) has always amazed me.
He has been, at various times, a lousy piano player, adequate recorder player, nice deep bass chorister, good mimic of others (Stanley Holloway, Flanders & Swann - - and he once imitated Noel Coward well enough for a high school play for the recording to fool some Coward-fan parents in the audience into thinking it WAS Coward, and storming the stage after the performance to find out where to get this “unknown” Coward recording they didn’t own!), adequate rock bass player, and a bad rock drummer.
Now, he tells me, he’s launched a new career as a sometime singer in the bathtub.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  04:07:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So saith Ed. Whose eclectic taste in music (everything from Kipper Family to Ketelby, Barenaked Ladies to Bonzo Dog Doodah Band, and Rush - - who played at his high school back when he was attending it - - to Respighi) has always amazed me.
Respighi. Hmmm... An intriguing choice. Any particular favorites Ed?

For me... I've had Feste Romane set as background music for many a DRAGONLANCE campaign -- especially when based around the Minotaurs of Taladas.

Though, I've always thought "Circenses" would be an excellent backdrop for a campaign session in Westgate's arena. Hehe...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  06:03:26  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:

Originally posted by The Hooded One.
Elspeth of Nottingham/Focus/Focus III [note: instrumental]

A couple of old favorites here. This is asking for bad jokes about Hocus Pocus invoking the image of Elminsters performances. This gives me strange mental pictures of Shadowdale filled with progressive rockers.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  22:14:20  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
I wonder, THO, how does Ed generate topics for his WotC articles? Do they assign him topics, or does he choose them? I was thinking that it might be cool to poll the readers (on these forums, or on the others) in order to determine topics. Just put 5-10 choices up, and see which would be the most popular, and run with that one. Just a (respectful) thought.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  22:19:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

I wonder, THO, how does Ed generate topics for his WotC articles? Do they assign him topics, or does he choose them? I was thinking that it might be cool to poll the readers (on these forums, or on the others) in order to determine topics. Just put 5-10 choices up, and see which would be the most popular, and run with that one. Just a (respectful) thought.

If I'm not mistaken, he has said in the past that WOTC sends him a list that he gets to choose from. It's in the replies, somewhere. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 17 Jan 2007 22:34:08
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2007 :  15:14:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time Ed gives a swift response to a question from Rolindin: “First Mr. Greenwood I would like to say I enjoy reading your writings on the FR page. The question I have for you; have you thought about writing a part three to the Coinkind?”
Ed replies:

As per my Realms agreements and NDAs, I can’t confirm forthcoming Realmslore column topics, but let me hint: I HAVE entertained such thoughts, yes. :}

So saith Ed. Such a subtle hinter, eh?
This dovetails with WalkerNinja’s suggestion. By all means run such a poll, because Ed now has more freedom than he started out with. Initially, he would suggest a long list of topics and send it in, and at the WotC end, topics would be approved or nixed, and Ed would then set to work on the surviving ones. I understand things have become more flexible.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  02:18:38  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
The post about Storm got me thinking about storytelling in general, and I came up with a two-part question for Ed.

Part the First: What are some representative examples of "fairy tales" from the humans in Cormyr and the Dalelands? What are they called? How gory are they? (I guess the scale runs from the original Hans Christian Anderson on one end - The Girl Who Trod A Loaf and all that - to Disney on the other) Are they used for a similar purpose in Faerun as they were on Earth (namely, to scare the kids into behaving and staying out of the dark, dangerous woods)? Can you give us some brief synopses?

Part the Second: What sorts of tales do adventurers swap when they're sitting around the campfire before bedding down? Some sort of "ghost stories?" (Though among people that exoect to run into the undead, that might be just as much for education as scaring each other.) What are some of the old favorites, tales that get passed down, and not just through bards. Again, can you give us the synopses of a few? To make this manageable, I'm again restricting it to humans living in Cormyr and the Dalelands.

Part the Third: Ok, so I lied about being two parts. Part the Third asks the exact same questions as Parts the First and Second, only substituting elves for humans.

Part the Fourth: Same as for Part the Third, except for dwarves.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  02:50:35  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
This is a villainous question.

Do you see the Zhents growing in power significantly in the coming years now that Bane is back, Manshoon and Fzoul have reconciled their differences (at least to the REAL Manshoon's satisfaction), plus all of the dissenting elements but one small faction have been cleaned out?

How are they going to react to the Red Wizards cutting in on their monopoly of evil merchantalism?

And to be perfectly crass, given recent developments with the Cult of the Dragon, are they going to be taking over there?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  03:48:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. Another swift-n-simple answer from Ed this time, to Kuje re. this: “Ed, I'm curious about something. :)
Has any dracolich ever turned into a dragon form of a demilich? So, I guess it would be a demi-dracolich.”
Ed replies:

Yes. Details (monster stats, name of this sort of beast, etc.) are currently NDA. The reason? A staff designer contemplating writing a Realms novel asked me about this before 3e. We talked, certain things were decided, along came 3e, and nothing’s yet appeared - - but of course that means the NDA is still in force. I’ll check privately, but please don’t try to ‘read’ anything into my silence if I fail to speak again on this matter (for the reasons given here most recently in a response to WalkerNinja).

So saith Ed. “Aha!” and so forth.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  05:40:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Damn NDA's but that answers what I asked so I won't whine for more details. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  18:39:02  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Stormlight spoiler follows! Caveat lector!

Bane spoiler follows! Caveat lector!

Well met! I have just received Stormlight and skimmed through it to find the naughty bits about Bane. Ed, will you please (pretty please with whipped cream on top) tell us something (preferably a lot of "somethings"!) about Bane's origins "somewhere else," before he came to Faerun? I thought the climax kicked serious butt, and I DEFINITELY want to know more!!!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  01:27:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes. This time Ed tackles the first of several related questions about wills posed by Charles Phipps and Rinonalyrna Fathomlin.
This one’s from Charles Phipps: “And for a completely random question. Did Azoun have a will? Was there anything left to his rather extensive spawn?”
Ed replies:

I’m assuming here that by “rather extensive spawn” you mean his illegitimate offspring. On the legitimate side of the roster, Azoun and Filfaeril had a son who died very young and two daughters, who would seem to be about the bare minimum for securing the succession in a perilous, often-at-war kingdom.
Yes, he had a will, although as THO rightly pointed out, it covers personal possessions and wealth rather than “state” property like the crown jewels, thrones, castles, palaces, et cetera (which are inherited or passed along according to specific Crown laws or long-standing tradition).
Azoun left a tiny amount to “any issue of my three children Foril, Tanalasta, and Alusair, whether recognized by me or not” (in other words, legitimate grandchildren he might be unaware of, if any).
However, he left absolutely nothing at all to his numerous illegitimate offspring.
It would be a Very Bold Political Move Indeed (on the dead monarch’s part) if Azoun left anything to any bastard offspring (as opposed to quietly giving them money, lands, or a building during his lifetime, which is “okay,” often done, and by tradition overlooked by the Court, other Obarskyrs, the rest of the nobles, etc.) in his will, and he didn’t.
Azoun has so many bastard offspring that gifting things to a few of them would probably turn out to be an unofficial death sentence for any illegitimates thus ‘anointed.’
If a monarch of Cormyr only had one to four bastards, or one plus some legitimate children, or any combination of legitimate and a handful of bastards, recognizing the bastards in a will would be a very likely way to start a civil war (as opportunistic nobles “backed” rival bastard claimants).
Monarchs of Cormyr are taught this, and their Court Wizards (the “other hat” worn by Vangey) and Royal Sages (Alaphondar) know it and hammer it home to all royals they’re training; no sane Obarskyr would do such a thing except perhaps out of spite, as a deliberate attempt to wreck the kingdom after their own passing.

So saith Ed. Who will reply to the other related queries over the next few days.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  20:36:51  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello Ed,

In your games how do you deal with Players who have traveled 8 hours, been forced into combat thereafter then chosen to stand watch for the remainder of the night, basically being up almost 24 hours. I know they are fatigued but at what point do they make Con checks to see if they take nonlethal damage?

Whats your house rule?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  04:26:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I'm sure this has been dealt with before, but I'm new here so plaese bear with me.

I recently read that you (Ed) created the Realms in the 1960's

That would mean you created them before D&D (or even chainmail) came around; is that true?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  04:30:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm sure this has been dealt with before, but I'm new here so plaese bear with me.

That would mean you created them before D&D (or even chainmail) came around; is that true?

Yes, that's true. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  04:44:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Yes, that's true. :)

Indeed.

More specifically, it was from "One Comes, Unheralded, to Zirta," a short story Ed wrote in 1967. The story was originally given away in chapbook form at a GenCon, and then later reprinted in The Best of the Realms Vol. 2: The Stories of Ed Greenwood.

It's also stored at Candlekeep:- http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/zirta.htm

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  04:58:21  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Hey ed, you don't need to answer my Zhent questions unless you want to but a much more interesting question came up. Some players are interested in Horatio Hornblowing (or in their case, Honor Harringtoning) so I was curious what nations have the largest navies and is there any conflict between them?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  05:14:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Discussion of wills continues herein, as Rinonalyrna Fathomlin posted: “You know, I work in my county's Surrogate's Office (where we probate wills, handle administrations, and so forth), and I've actually wondered about what wills are like in the Forgotten Realms, and how similar they are to our own...and what the wills of certain characters would be like (including Azoun).”
and Charles Phipps responded: “Yes, some will info would be lovely in general though I meant specific.
I can imagine given some of the Realms events that plenty of interesting will sessions could be read. Elminster has seemed to have died so often that I imagine that he uses it solely to clean out his Hut of Junk. I also assume there's an equivalent of "Do not resurrect" in some wills. I further wonder if one loses all property on death even if one is resurrected ;-)
(Hopefully, relatives will be nice enough to give it back)”
Ed replies:

I’ll say more in general about wills later, when I can. Suffice it to say that they vary widely in specifics from place to place, but wherever there’s an entrenched nobility in the Realms, and a wealthy merchant class, clear rules and rights of inheritance soon develop - - or disputes tear that city or realm apart.
To get a little specific about Cormyr: Cormyrean law holds that nobles can’t be resurrected AND retain their “blood rights” (i.e. they can come back, but they lose inheritances, even if “the last one” of a family; property reverts to the Crown; so if they die when young and are raised, this is usually kept secret in an attempt to avoid later problems; for non-royals, there’s an exception in the case of children who’ve not yet been presented at Court; they CAN be raised and still be considered “legitimate,” but the moment they’ve been confirmed as heirs or fullblood family members In the Royal Presence, death will thereafter disinherit them).
Obarskyrs can be resurrected, but again, reigning monarchs who are “brought back” lose their crowns and all blood status, and the act of bringing them back is high treason (i.e. persons doing it will be executed).
The “returned” former monarch is gelded (if male) and magically made barren (and in at least one case, was sewn up physically), and exiled, often after War Wizard mind-tampering to remove some of their memories.
In most cases, the returned monarch either openly and deliberately committed suicide or submitted to being magically blasted to ash, for “all to see” (to prevent endless strife with nobles kidnapping them and forcibly breeding them, or magically controlling them as puppet rival monarchs), or was quietly watched, followed, and “killed off Cormyrean soil” a few days after being exiled.
Yes, I know this is all “news” to most scholars of matters Cormyrean. ’Tis a subject I’ll say more of, someday.
Royals who aren’t reigning in their own right when killed, can be resurrected without losing their inheritance (full status). By saying “reigning in their own right” here, I’m pointing out that any Regent (such as Alusair) could be killed, brought back, and would still count as a legitimate heir if the deaths of others later left her with the closest claim to the throne.
Most of this is academic Court and sage debate, by the way; when real crises of succession happen, in Cormyr and elsewhere, the sword (as in, support of the most nobles, for bastards or usurpers or whomever) will usually rule the day.

So saith Ed. Who has yet another related question (from Rinonalyrna Fathomlin) to answer tomorrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  05:33:15  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Hey ed, you don't need to answer my Zhent questions unless you want to but a much more interesting question came up. Some players are interested in Horatio Hornblowing (or in their case, Honor Harringtoning) so I was curious what nations have the largest navies and is there any conflict between them?

Luskan and Ruathym have fought several naval wars in the last 20 years or so

Theres been at least 2 naval wars fought between Zhentil Keep, Mulmaster and Melvaunt

Silver shadows by Elaine Cunningham has info on navy of Tethyr (Pre-reclamation)

The 2nd book in Liriel baenre trilogy features a massed naval battle between Luskan and Ruathym

If you check out Kujes archive of Eds responses you should find several posts where Ed detailed Waterdeeps navy and I have vague recollections that Ed has detailed Cormyrs navy in the past to.

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 21 Jan 2007 05:33:52
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  16:11:31  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
That just gave me a plot hook for a new adventure (set outside of Cormyr). Thanks Ed!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  22:45:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
I just want to thank Ed and the Hooded One in the meantime for all these replies regarding wills.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  08:21:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thanks for the response folks.

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I just want to thank Ed and the Hooded One in the meantime for all these replies regarding wills.

You know what they say, where there's a will, there's a way.

Sorry, I just had to go there.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Jan 2007 08:22:27
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  15:23:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, scribes. As promised, this time Ed tackles a query from Rinonalyrna Fathomlin about inheritances: “Thanks for the information--I can see why wills and laws regarding them might be better off staying on the less-detailed side. I would love it if Ed could give a teensy-bit more information about how Cormyrean law would distribute the assets of an estate (ie. does it always go to next of kin no matter what the deceased person desired?). If not, I understand.”
Ed replies:

If a Cormyrean dies and no legitimate blood relative (cousin is closest) survives, property reverts to the Crown. In any event, land, money, and goods are held and administered by the Crown until an heir is located (for nobles: search forever if there’s any doubt (“doubt” meaning missing persons who are recorded in the rolls of the Heralds and/or in the ledgers at the Royal Court in Suzail, which are duplicated at another hidden, secret location in the kingdom, thought by most to be a vault in or beneath High Horn, but by some to be an underground “dungeon” reached via portals from somewhere near Jester’s Green); for kin of knights: search twelve summers; for commoners: search three years).
Titles, surnames, and the like can’t be denied by a deceased: you can leave your son or daughter nothing (or the rebuking “single used copper coin of the realm”), but you can’t literally “disown” them. However, the desires of the deceased are generally followed absolutely regarding dispositions to children, with two exceptions: wedded spouses can’t be left with little or nothing while children reap the loot; nor can disabled parents, relatives, or spouses; they “must be provided for.” The Crown will do this for the truly poor, but it will exact a share from willed property to “ground” its support if Court pursers judge that a deceased tried to leave property to some beneficiaries without “discharging obligations” for support of others (note that the Court considers all matters carefully, dismissing the claims of false relatives or persons who sponge off their kin for years, and then claim they have a right to go on doing so from the estate; War Wizards will mind-read claimants and priests examine their bodies to make sure they’re infirm).
With all of this said, when it comes to able-bodied children old enough to fend for themselves (age 12 for males and puberty or 13 for females, whichever comes later), a deceased parents’ wishes are usually considered absolute.
If dear old Pa gives Rory the eldest a sack of silver coins and the words “This is more than I started with; go out and win a good life for yourself!” and gives Launcein the younger lad “my wagon and horses, to be given to Master Traevyn in return for prenticing Launcein for two years, as we agreed to” [note: as long as there’s either a written agreement, or guild witness, or Traevyn confirms the bargain; otherwise, Launcein just gets the wagon and horses, to do with as he pleases] and gives the youngest, his daughter Mrelda, “the house, such as it is, and with all else therein,” to dwell in or sell off or try to make a living taking lodgers or doing laundry or starting a brothel or trying to lure a husband - - the Court is going to accept this, even if the three kids aren’t happy. The three kids are free to swap or reach altered distributions among themselves, IF they agree without coercion or dispute - - but if there’s any dispute, Court bailiffs (veteran Purple Dragons and senior courtiers, working together and with the support of priests and War Wizards, if they need such) will step in and enforce dead Pa’s wishes.

So saith Ed. That do to work with, Rinonalyrna? I’m sure Ed can say more if you ask narrow-scope specific followups; again, this is a topic he’s been as vague as possible on for years, to avoid trammeling novel writers (though he set the Obarskyr rules down years ago, and amended them only slightly when working with Jeff Grubb on that classic of Cormyr lore, CORMYR: A NOVEL).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  23:11:54  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Intense chatter over the Super Bowl these last few days prompts me to ask Ed for more Realmslore, specifically:
in the Heartlands, are there any team sports that involve fairly stable-membership traveling teams that go places to compete? In, say, a circuit or annual "grudge matches"?
If so, any details Ed cares to share?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  01:15:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So saith Ed. That do to work with, Rinonalyrna?
THO

Yes, certainly! Thanks to both of you. I have to admit I'm surprised that disabled/destitute people are actually provided for no matter what--as far as I know there's no law like that in real life (where I live, anyway :) ), although I believe there are similar laws in real life that prevent a spouse from being left with no money. Very generous.

Actually, there is one more thing I was wondering about: I know that most newer wills contain a self-proving clause that states that the testator was not a minor, was of sound mind, and was under no undue influence or constraint. Is there anything similar to that in Cormyr? Being the fastidiously lawful realm that it is, I figure there might be.

Thanks again,

Rinonalyrna

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  02:11:23  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
All these Cormyr questions have made me want to send my group that way hehe.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  21:18:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Intense chatter over the Super Bowl these last few days prompts me to ask Ed for more Realmslore, specifically:
in the Heartlands, are there any team sports that involve fairly stable-membership traveling teams that go places to compete? In, say, a circuit or annual "grudge matches"?
If so, any details Ed cares to share?

Excellent question, and one I have never even thought about before. We have Quidditch matches in Harry Potter, and Blood Bowl games in WH, so why not something akin to the Olympics for the Realms? I'd love to here Ed's take on this as well.

Good subject for an article, I would imagine.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Jan 2007 21:18:44
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000