Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

BOZ
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  16:31:37  Show Profile  Visit BOZ's Homepage Send BOZ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje (in the Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005) thread)

Ed,

Boz from the WOTC boards was wondering if you could give us any more lore about Argolcheir the demon lord. He was mentioned in your article back in Dragon #116 (p55) as a brief mention, having been good and destroyed by Khelben and Laeral.

Note that Eric Boyd used Arlgolcheir in the latest issue of Dungeon, #148. :) I have no idea if he talked to Ed, but there are a few new details, though the mages who destroyed him are not mentioned by name.

http://www.geocities.com/kbozman74/BOZ.html
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  19:00:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BOZ

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje (in the Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005) thread)

Ed,

Boz from the WOTC boards was wondering if you could give us any more lore about Argolcheir the demon lord. He was mentioned in your article back in Dragon #116 (p55) as a brief mention, having been good and destroyed by Khelben and Laeral.

Note that Eric Boyd used Arlgolcheir in the latest issue of Dungeon, #148. :) I have no idea if he talked to Ed, but there are a few new details, though the mages who destroyed him are not mentioned by name.

I'm a little curious as to where the "good" info came from. I just checked the article, since I was curious why the Blackstaff and his lady would destroy a good demon. There was no such reference to alignment there:
quote:
Laeral, a famous mage, destroyed the demon lord Arlgolcheir with the aid of the archmage Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun and the mage Alduth of Neverwinter -- when Laeral found the demon's amulet, she was wearing a belt containing two rogue stones, previously enspelled by Khelben and Alduth, and she called on the two by means of sending spells to aid her, so that all three were ready to battle the demon when it appeared.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Jun 2007 19:03:36
Go to Top of Page

lachlain
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  20:24:18  Show Profile Send lachlain a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm a little curious as to where the "good" info came from. I just checked the article, since I was curious why the Blackstaff and his lady would destroy a good demon. There was no such reference to alignment there:
quote:
Laeral, a famous mage, destroyed the demon lord Arlgolcheir with the aid of the archmage Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun and the mage Alduth of Neverwinter -- when Laeral found the demon's amulet, she was wearing a belt containing two rogue stones, previously enspelled by Khelben and Alduth, and she called on the two by means of sending spells to aid her, so that all three were ready to battle the demon when it appeared.

Now I might be stepping on some toes here, or possibly misunderstanding your sarcasm, so if I am please forgive me.

I do believe that the word "good" in the OPs remark was to indicate the totality of said creature's destruction - not a judgment call upon the creature's moral bent.

If I am incorrect in this assumption, please feel free to flame me at your leisure.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  21:13:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lachlain

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Now I might be stepping on some toes here, or possibly misunderstanding your sarcasm, so if I am please forgive me.

I do believe that the word "good" in the OPs remark was to indicate the totality of said creature's destruction - not a judgment call upon the creature's moral bent.

If I am incorrect in this assumption, please feel free to flame me at your leisure.

There was no sarcasm intended in my post. The original post implied a good alignment -- "He was mentioned in your article back in Dragon #116 (p55) as a brief mention, having been good and destroyed by Khelben and Laeral." While I suppose that could be read as "thoroughly destroyed", the way I read it was "the demon was a good guy, and was destroyed". I'd be interested in reading about any good-aligned demons, so that's why I went back and dug up the article. Failing to find any reference to alignment, I was asking where that came from.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  22:30:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Now when * I * say I did thus and so after "having been good," it means something else entirely.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  22:44:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Darkdew: A scent that has been associated with “dangerous females” for nigh a century, this opaque black oily ointment is said to come from the Underdark, and have something to do with both the blood of monsters and the sweat of aroused she-drow (but in truth is a combination of three plant oils, six herbs, and a distillate of slugs). It turns transparent upon touch with the skin, and imparts a musky smell to the wearer for most of a day that most folk (from fey to goblinkin) find arousing. Some humans, half-elves, and elves can orgasm merely from smelling darkdew, and purchase it for their own private use, or for lovemaking with a partner where both parties wear it (darkdew tastes like black, bitter, unsugared licorice). Cost per 1-pint flask: 176 gp.

Too bad that doesn't exist in the real world.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  23:42:23  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello All,

(snip)

I've notice mention of a Tainted One Harper in Serpents Cowl (SK) but it's not made clear whether he was a Harper prior to transformation.

(snip)

I, too am very interested in Atad "Yelloweyes." I had him appear briefly as an NPC in a recent game, but since I didn't know whether he was a Tainted One who was fighting the taint with the knowing help of the Harpers, or a Harper who had become Tainted and is now used by the yuan-ti against local humans, I just let him slide through the adventure without giving him any real personality or goals (secret or otherwise) than making some gold as a guide for some of Aluena's guests (the PCs). Ed, please tell us more about him.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  04:50:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time I’m taking the throne to rake up some partial answers to Mumadar Ibn Huzal’s question from the end of May in 2005, and AlorinDawn’s similar recent query.
Here (from page 42 of the 2005 thread) is Mumadar Ibn Huzal’s post: “A rather mundane question for Ed: What do the Realmsians use to heat their buildings - especially in the cities?
The map showing trade goods etc in FRCS shows coal production - but only in Cormyr. And I cannot recall this as being a major industry in the Forest Kingdom. Nor have I seen much in the sense of coal mines - other than a few appearances in dwarven holds and the mine in the Baldur's Gate game in the Cloak Wood.
Wood is an obvious answer, but would require quite some trade and stockpiling in the fuel material for cities, especially those at more northern latitudes (Waterdeep, Silverymoon etc.) Again, I cannot recall having come across references of these types of trade for instance in novels or products dealing with for instance Waterdeep.”
Recently, AlorinDawn posted this query: “Ed & THO, I hope I'm not asking something that you have already answered. Do most folks in Waterdeep heat with wood or coal? Thanks”
At that time I answered “I believe Ed has already answered that (wood wins over coal, but there's camel-dung-patties in desert regions, and some other fuels).” and promised to check Ed’s replies.
I’ve finally found time enough to do so, so here are some relevant words of Ed from these Ask Eddie threads, down the years:

* From p44 of the 2004 thread, Ed describing the Sword Coast coastal fishing community of Ulgoth’s Beard: “All of the salts dwell in dirt-floored, windowless stone cottages with roofs of growing turf (planted with herbs and edibles). Most such dwellings have an entry room that doubles as a dining and living room (and in winter, as a kitchen), and opens into two or three inner rooms that are given over to use as bedchambers and storage (including pantries). The hearth is central, and stones are heated in cold weather to be placed in beds and cold corners, and so warm the dwelling as much as possible. Fisherfolk refer to these humble cottages as their “dens.” In summer, they gather peat and wood (some of which they “slowburn” in clay-choked fires, into charcoal) for use in winter cooking, gather berries from thickets in the “breaks” along the cliffs, and smoke and salt fish. Most homes in the Beard have outside chimney-ovens for all summer cooking, and racks on which the fisherfolk lay out their nets for drying and mending, and (under fine bird-nets) filleted fish for curing.”

* From page 74 of the 2004 thread, Ed describing the southern Moonsea shore at the time Northkeep was flourishing:
“the land was thick woods swiftly being cut down for firewood and reduced to rutted mud rather than being cultivated and looked after.”

* From page 8 of the 2005 Ask Ed thread, Ed describing Ardeepforest:
“human woodcutters, charcoal-burners and hunters despoil Ardeep daily”

* From page 41 of the 2005 Ask Ed thread, Ed describing city “tallhouses” (as found in Semiba, Waterdeep, etc.): “In all cases, each tenant will have their own chamberpots and kitchen facilities, or be forced to use a communal outdoor brick oven and/or privies at the end of the back garden. (In the case of tenants who occupy entire floors, cooking tends to be on a back balcony to minimize fire risks and cooking smells, except perhaps in the coldest winter weather, when warmth is desired.)
Think small iron-cauldron wood stoves with iron legs, resting on layers of stones and used to heat surrounding ‘walls’ of stacked stones that can be carried to beds or other rooms to radiate warmth, with said stoves all having metal-cylinder chimneys led through the rooms horizontally (for warmth and to yield a hanging place to dry damp clothing) to windows where shutters can be opened to let out the smoke.”

* From page 3 of the 2006 Ask Ed thread, Ed describing farms:
As for farm size: in the Heartlands, there is no meaningful “average” farming family to discuss. Most families till six acres or less, though they may own or claim far more, because woodlots are a vital part of their farming (source of firewood, poles by coppicing, etc.), and so is ‘wild’ grazing land (“meadows”).

And now, Ed adds:

Although desert areas in the Realms use dried camel-dung patties as fire-fuel, the cold northern areas use equivalents (the dung of local pack-beasts), some areas of grasslands (such as the Shaar) use cut sheaves or “stooks” of fried grasses (straw), and some coastal areas use fish or whale oils, firewood is by far the most plentiful and widely-used fuel in most of the Realms.
Lands such as Cormyr, Chessenta, Tethyr, Turmish, and the Dales use coppicing on country estates (cutting limbs from living trees with care not to kill the tree, so it will regrow fuel for cutting again in a decade or less; see real-world rural England in the recent past for examples; coppiced trees have a distinct “look”) to harvest high wood yields, and much wood destined for cities is “pre-burned” in fires built in huts to “cut” the wind, and smothered with turf so as to smoulder, down into charcoal. The charcoal is then separated and “smothered out;” when cold, it is transported to cities in metal boxes, for sale.
Charcoal burns hotter and faster than wood, with less smoke (cutting down on blinding, choking smoke clouds in crowded cities), and can be scented with various liquids (see my earlier post on scents) to give off pleasant odours.

And there you have it. The definitive ‘fuel in the Realms’ answer from Ed.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2007 :  01:11:04  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hello Ed and Lady THO,
A Cormyr campaign query:
If I am a young noble in Cormyr right now, Realms-time, do I know which nobles (or families) are most opposed to Caladnei? Or Alusair as Regent?
I'm not talking exiled nobles or advocates of treason, I mean nobles who aren't fans of Caladnei, or of the Regency, and either politely say so, or quietly work against the authority or plans of either the Royal Magician or the Regent, or both.
Or are such opponents VERY secretive, and I couldn't know?
Thanks!

Edited by - Blueblade on 06 Jun 2007 01:16:18
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2007 :  01:18:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. Hearken this time to the words of Ed regarding this query from createvmind: “Hello again, As a slight add-on to my most recent question, Ed how would you describe the effects to a player suffering Wisdom or Intelligence damage for first time and the difference between the two, and do you visualize Charisma damage as more than just damage to one's appearance? If a person suffers Wis and Int damage will one effect mask the other so the person may be unaware of how badly they are affected?
This is more in regards to non-spellcasting classes, as spellcasting classes obviously become aware rather quickly due to their spells being affected. Thanks”
Ed replies:

The effects of such damage on a character depend on the severity and possible combinations of the damage they suffer, but in general:
Wisdom damage affects memory; the ability to see consequences (from drawing on previous experience); memorized skills (ever seen a carpenter who’s been swinging a hammer all his life suddenly stop and stare at it like he’s never seen it before?); and judgement (does what this person is saying sound likely? can I trust this person? He’s an orc dripping blood from his teeth but those teeth are smiling . . .).
Intelligence damage affects problem-solving; the ability to figure out necessary sequences of future events; the ability to keep track of multiple foes, moving targets or people; the ability to separate out (and concentrate on) one conversation from another; and foresight.
Charisma damage is most often damage to appearance (it’s amazing how horrific a beautiful woman looks when her nose is bitten off to expose a “bony hole”), but can include foul odours, a change in manner from friendly or decisive to deranged or leering or furtive, and so on; all of these things (and more, notably “a certain something,” meaning the intangible way in which a person gets noticed, respected, or “catches the eye”) affect how people are perceived and can influence others, and that’s what Charisma measures.
Combinations of Wis and Int damage often rob the victim of the ability to comprehend how badly they’ve been affected, though they usually “know something’s wrong.” Yes, they may be very badly affected but fail to realize it because they no longer can (e.g. the agile, acrobatic thief who doesn’t realize how badly her balance is affected, and staggers across a quite wide ledge to fall off a cliff).

So saith Ed. Myself, I think Torm has almost no Wisdom at all; only his lightning-swift Intelligence has kept him alive, all these years. Ed says that character stats don’t bear that out, but I believe the way he’s been played does.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2007 :  02:52:24  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Penknight, Ed and I would both be delighted to hear all about Moonfire. Er, fire away!
Moonfire: A silvery-white liquid that when rubbed into the skin gives a cool sensation to the locations applied. On the skin where Moonfire has been applied, one can make out glitter sparkling faintly when the person is in moonlight or starlight. Moonfire smells of rare night blooming flowers that have an exotic, lightly spicy scent. The flowers are raised in cathedrals and churches of Selûne, and the blossoms are collected on nights sacred to the goddess and her followers. The perfume is placed in 1-pint crystal containers that are bound in delicate silver wire. It is rumored that the perfume offers protection against lycanthropes, but these claims have never been verified. Price per 1-pint crystal flask: 150 gp.

I would be honored to hear what yourself and Mr. Greenwood think, Lady THO.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 06 Jun 2007 02:54:59
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2007 :  03:06:33  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Greetings. I was just wondering which herd beast is more commonly kept in the Realms for meat. The standard cow or Rothe? In addition where in the Realms are Alpaca and or Lammas commonly kept?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2007 :  03:38:44  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Here is a question in commemoration of the impending end of Dungeon Magazine. Since Iggwilv is about to be statted, for the first time, in the final few adventures of the Savage Tide adventure path, and since we've already gotten a bit of a glimpse of Elminster's meeting with Mordenkainen, as well as a few bits of info regarding Vangerdahast and Khelben's experiences with some of Oerth's more powerful wizards (in the Forgotten Realms Adventures harcover back in 2nd edition) . . . well, here goes:

Has Elminster (or any other famous Realmsian wizard) met with the dastardly Iggwilv, and if so, under what circumstances?

Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2007 :  04:15:27  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks for once again such a timely answer to past questions that seem to be about to come into play for upcoming session.

This time I wish to understand Intelligent weapons in Faerun, how are they given sentience, do living beings voluntarily meld with weapons? Can they be bonded with weapons against their will and more importantly can a possessor fiend enter a intelligent weapon and what happens when this occurs, who domnates who, is it a constant conflict between the two "entities" within the weapon and how does this affect unknowing wielder.

Thanks for all the insight.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2007 :  08:16:47  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all.
Penknight, Ed and I would both be delighted to hear all about Moonfire. Er, fire away!
In terms of Realmslore, this time I bring everyone Ed’s response to scribe Kyrene
... snipped ...
So saith Ed. Who (of course) knows the Realms better than anyone else.
love to all,
THO

Thank you both so very much!

Finally, Nita "the Halfbreed" has a plausible reason to have been born in the Neverwinter Woods near Conyberry. She can be a "surfacer" half-drow, even if not Dambrathan. She can have all the prejudices heaped on her by her peers and can become an outcast and adventurer because of it.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2007 :  01:17:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Divers responses this time . . .

Kyrene, you’re very welcome.

Penknight, Ed and I both feel that your Moonfire is “right on” for the Realms, and we will adopt it into Realmsplay in the home Realms campaign forthwith. Nicely done!

Purple Dragon Knight, Toronto has always been a hotbed of gaming, SCA activity (U of T and York in particular), and sf fandom (anchored by annual Ad Astra and Toronto Trek cons) but I’m afraid Ed and I are both out of date re. “good Canadian Cons out and about the GTA.” There’s a long-running con called Pandemonium that tends to be fractious and has even had competing cons of the same name run by factions, an excellent but small downtown Peterborough (yes, Peterborough!) annual con called Phantasm, and “trade show dealing” at the SF Expo/Anime Expo/Comic Expo/I can’t recall the official name of this “big mash” event near or on the Labour Day weekend, down in the Convention Centre nigh the CN Tower and the Domed stadium; it has no gaming sessions, but a huge and chaotic “selling floor” of comics, costumes, gaming, and et cetera booths akin to GenCon’s exhibit hall. Ryerson has a gaming club that put together a recent designers’ symposium with Ed, Robin Laws, etc., who might be able to tell you more about conventions; Ed and I are both out of touch with the old gaming stores (all gone) and their conventions, though Greg Peevers of the RPGA, resident in Toronto, runs frequent Greyhawk-set official RPGA events at what are presumably frequent conventions! I’d try to contact him and the Ryerson group (there’s a Student Centre on the south side of Gould Street, where the old Journalism building used to be, just east of “Lake Devo,” that seems to be meeting-room-central and have contact info for all the student clubs). I understand how you feel about the “must work rush work rush put in more unpaid overtime get ahead GET AHEAD” lifestyle now prevalent in the GTA; it’s one of the reasons Ed moved out into the country almost two decades ago, though he dearly loved the Don Mills parkland haunts of his childhood, and the whole Bakka/Silver Snail sf fandom scene. (Way out the other direction, in Guelph, there’s another university gaming club, too . . . and much closer, in Hamilton every spring, Rose Kriedmann and her husband run the Great Canadian Baycon, which is indeed “great.”)

And to AlorinDawn’s query: “Ed & THO, Greetings. I was just wondering which herd beast is more commonly kept in the Realms for meat. The standard cow or Rothe? In addition where in the Realms are Alpaca and or Lammas commonly kept? Thanks”
Ed now makes reply:

The most popular “meat” animals (as opposed to pigeons, grouse, wild turkeys, chickens, and other meat birds, which are wing-clipped and reared in large penned-in flocks in many places) in Faerûn are, in descending order of popularity:
1. sheep
2. goats
3. rothé in the North, but cows south of the northern border of Amn, and including Cormyr, the Dales, Sembia and the Vast (and south of those places). Alpaca- and llama-like creatures are kept in northern Rashemen and points east of there, plus sprinklings all over cold, mountainous regions throughout the Realms.
4. hogs and boar.
The popularity of sheep and goats is due to their relative hardiness, small and manageable size (it’s easier to lift them out of chasms, carry injured ones, shut them inside a structure with a human family of nights when wolves or other predators are prowling,and so on), and ability to forage on rougher terrain than cows (goats in particular will eat almost anything; like hogs, they can be used as a garbage disposal).

So saith Ed, wise sage of Realms agriculture.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2007 :  01:49:56  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:

Penknight, Ed and I both feel that your Moonfire is “right on” for the Realms, and we will adopt it into Realmsplay in the home Realms campaign forthwith. Nicely done!
Lady, I truly am honored. I... no words... thank you!

Also, if your character happens to recieve a crystal container of Moonfire, chances are it came from Lady Arella Nobleheart of Cormyr (and aasimar paladin of Torm), a longtime admirer of the Knights of Myth Drannor. Well, providing the DM to DM post is working properly.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2007 :  02:33:08  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

Purple Dragon Knight, Toronto [snip] Hamilton every spring, Rose Kriedmann and her husband run the Great Canadian Baycon, which is indeed “great.”

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my query. I am savouring every bit of it and will now scour these locales to hunt for gamers... to add them to my trophy room... err... collection of... err... to make them new gamers in my campaign (which I log into the RPGA by the way... you can now do that for home games... )

I have already met the Guelph folks last year, great people! Unfortunately I have no longer enough time to make it to their Friday night 6pm or 7pm RPGA game; and honestly, if one has a limited amount of time, RPGA 4-hour slots are NOT the best way to game/roleplay! One must truly be unemployed to "make it worth his/her time" as this is the only way you can ever hope to have your character go through the 20+ annual Core Living Greyhawk events, let alone the 8+ regionals, depending where you live... it gets a little "too" demanding, and a few years ago I sort of fell into this bottomless RPGA pit where I was trying to get "all the ticks in the box" and have my character go through all the modules/interactives available. One loses himself that way, and gaming becomes less fun... slowly... until you remember why you started gaming in the first place: small gathering with like-minded nerd friends. On a regular basis. But once in a while (like now!) this old knight needs an "RPGA bath" or "big chaotic Gencon-like fair of vendors!"

Now, I must look in this.. Rose.. Kriedmann...

quote:

The most popular “meat” animals (as opposed to pigeons, grouse, wild turkeys, chickens, and other meat birds, which are wing-clipped and reared in large penned-in flocks in many places) in Faerûn are, in descending order of popularity:
1. sheep
2. goats
3. rothé in the North, but cows south of the northern border of Amn, and including Cormyr, the Dales, Sembia and the Vast (and south of those places). Alpaca- and llama-like creatures are kept in northern Rashemen and points east of there, plus sprinklings all over cold, mountainous regions throughout the Realms.
4. hogs and boar.
The popularity of sheep and goats is due to their relative hardiness, small and manageable size (it’s easier to lift them out of chasms, carry injured ones, shut them inside a structure with a human family of nights when wolves or other predators are prowling,and so on), and ability to forage on rougher terrain than cows (goats in particular will eat almost anything; like hogs, they can be used as a garbage disposal).
Ah, this part of the post reminds me of a certain novel beginning featuring a young boy tending to a herd... on a hillside... which ended up becoming a pretty important mage!

On a more nerdsy note though: how come rothé are magical beasts? (FRCS stats). I've always been bummed by that, and I have been silently wishing that someone would "three-point-five" them into creatures of the animal type. This would open up some fairly interesting options for druid/ranger animal companion, paladin special mount, etc. What's so magical about them anyhow? magical beasts usually have "something" non-animal about them... (although griffons are ok as magical beasts due to their Int of 5, the hippogriff is somewhat debatable with its Int of 2...)
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2007 :  18:26:06  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

Thank you for your rapid reply. Your information will assist me when describing farmlands and what populate them a great deal. On a non-Realmsian note, are you acquainted with Valerie Valusek and if so do you know if she is still working as a freelance artist?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2007 :  22:25:16  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

I've notice mention of a Tainted One Harper in Serpents Cowl (SK) but it's not made clear whether he was a Harper prior to transformation.

I made Atad Yelloweyes a "tainted one" in Serpent Kingdoms to explain his original description in Elminster's Ecologies: The Serpent Hills. Found here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/2/fr_downloads/tsr9490.zip

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 07 Jun 2007 22:32:33
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2007 :  23:53:06  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks Mr. Boyd

That helps immensely so it seems he serves the Harpers by choice, I'll just assume he was transformed young and is now seeing both sides of the coin after years of interaction with both species. If he recieves orders from both Harpers and Yaun-ti that conflict what do you likely suggest he would do in that situation?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  00:51:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. This time I bring you Ed’s answer to Blueblade’s query: “Dear Ed and Lady THO, I was wondering if there was anything Ed could let slipXXX er, tell us at this time about the forthcoming THE ANNOTATED ELMINSTER (beyond the obvious bit about it containing the text of the first three Elminster novels). Anything? Free bookmarks, scratch-and-sniff centerfolds, dancing girls?”
Ed makes reply:

It will contain the text of all three novels (meaning, I suspect, that the original editions will go out of print), plus extensive (over 20,000 words total, but you’ll have to decide if I used 20,000 good ones :} ) commentary by yours truly on all three. However, I’m afraid I can’t say more at this time. Other than to say I’ve written those words and handed them in.

So saith Ed, busiest of keyboard-pounding beavers.
AlorinDawn, I've just sent your Val Valusek query on to Ed. I know Ed knows her, because he has more than a few of her smaller line drawings hung on his walls (Volo's Guide and Tolkien scenes), and I know he bought them from her personally.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  00:53:27  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
So, The Annotated Elminster doesn't include Elminster in Hell then? For some reason I thought it did.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  00:55:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
As far as I know (and Ed knows!!!!) it just contains the first three. If the fourth one got squeezed in, it'd be a truly wrist-breaking book - - and Ed better get cracking on more annotations!
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 08 Jun 2007 00:56:05
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  01:05:05  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, dear Lady Herald!

I was reading your post of Ed's message regarding Baldur's Gate guilds (24 May 2007 : 15:30:18) when I was given pause. Ed said:
quote:

The most powerful is the "Dark Guild" (of thieves, assassins, smugglers, and fences; see FRA for more details), that has no banner and no trail signs, but uses mud to mark city walls with a recognition symbol ...

Does "FRA" mean the book, Forgotten Realms Adventures, or was Ed referencing a supplement or adventure whose TSR product number was accidentally cut off? I found only a brief mention in the book, so if there is another product with more information, please do clue me in.

Many warm thanks to you and Ed!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  01:10:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, "FRA" is longtime Realms designer-speak for FORGOTTEN REALMS ADVENTURES (just as "FR0" means what most folk at Candlekeep call the Old Gray Box). TSR was big on SHORT acronyms.
I know that hardcover doesn't have much in the way of details, but it does have "more" (and, of course, had even more before it got edited down, though as I recall, Ed was pretty good about writing to length on that one; when he started, TSR encouraged him to write however much he wanted, and just chopped the excess off and used it in later products written by others. FR5, for instance, is mainly "Ed overflow").
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 09 Jun 2007 20:14:28
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  01:57:56  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

I just noticed the term "gray Druid" which I assume describes a druid who dwells below ground, how known is the term on the surface outisde of druids.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  15:00:56  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Oh great Master Ed and Mistress THO,

Where can one find a sight like this on Faerun:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/Armenia_Khorvirap.jpg/758px-Armenia_Khorvirap.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Kazzaroth
Learned Scribe

Finland
104 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  16:46:14  Show Profile  Visit Kazzaroth's Homepage Send Kazzaroth a Private Message
quote:

Now, to the Realmslore reply for this day . . .
Ed hath heard the pleas of Kazzaroth, but mutters in my ear that there are reasons those older questions can’t be properly answered yet. He did, however, entertain a few of the new ones (again, the others aren’t dismissed; they join the ever-growing pile), to whit:

Sorry for long absence, but I just now read the reply and thank you from it altough you had not been able answer my question regarding 'older' topics. But whit Ed's reply I can understand why so many evil organizations are on their toes when bard is around (because bard can be anything and disguise their true potential behind charming smile or act to be fooler than they truly are and can be part of harpers who are well known to interfere almsot anyone's business XD).

Anycase I now have new question which background I fristly explain troughouly; I am joining at moment to a game where are both players playing 'good guys' and others playing 'bad guys' in Forogtten Realms setting.

I have allied whit evil dragon (likely black or shadow, not sure) who resides in Underdark and other 'bad guy' players had formed other 'teams/pairings' to speak of.

My char anycase is prophet of Cyric (around 13 CL cleric in power and also powerful fighter who can own companies of 'generic' soldiers alone just melee skill alone) whit alot followers. Around 90% of followers have been spread out all over the world but most focus in Lands of Intrique (Amn, Calishman, Sword Coast), Thay and also bit on Moonsea area and most are part and favoured in the guilds (criminal, trade, mercenary) and political setting. Her 'abbey' resides in Underdark near the dragon ally's cave.

Racially she is Mulhorand backgrounded female aasimar (whit 'angelic beautyfull face and body') whit chaotic evil behavior and in early childhood was pleasure slave in Thay to a Red Wizard (which she succeed kill thanks Cyric's guidance soon after Time of Troubles). She haves also alter identity where she is 'widowed' (killed her husband so that none suspected it being murder) merchant's wife who runs a powerfull but small trade empire near at Amn.

Now to the questions; How Ed (or Lady Hooded One) would use (best possible manner) such powerful charismatic leader whit both powerful clerical and battlefield abilities while serving Cyric's (chaotic) goals so that her presence will be felt worldwide very soon but whitout actually getting 'caught in the act' (and also possibly gain respect of fellow worshippers)?

Her chosen domains are Chaos&Trickery so I try present those two domain choices in her behavior (and thanks possible bonus domain gain via class she gets soon Destruction domain also) and how she plans 'conquest the world' for Cyric whitout going to outright worldwide religious warfare (which would benefit to more war alike gods like Tempus and Bane).

So, basically I ask suggestions (and personall views of Ed and Lady Hooded One) how use the char or what goals to fullfill so that she is not 'figured out' easily by the 'good guys' playing players (and also give challenge to them ;)) and figured by the Chosen or the Harpers (or get backstabbed by fellow Cyrist).
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  22:24:17  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
I'm not Ed or THO, but if you wish to achieve this as a player, you will need first to make things very clear with your DM (i.e. "DM, I want to keep this absolutely secret from other players! or I roll another character!") Don't tell him how to run his game, but make a short list of two or three things you want to achieve in the short and medium term, and perhaps one big long-term objective to "define" your character in his mind, and more importantly, focus some of his DM prep efforts your way.

Second, in game, you will need to LIE, LIE, LIE!!! all the time! Lies upon lies upon lies. Layers of lies. Otherwise, other players will figure out what you're up to. Don't fall into the "evil-genius-monologue" trap (i.e. don't blab or boast about your victories in or out of character). In-character, don't trust any of the party members and DON'T make an "ally" or "friend" with any of them (of course, fake friends are fine, like you bedding the largest fighter of the group pretending you love him! )
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000