Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29999 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  05:59:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Kuje, Ed sent the Spin A Yarn in before the end of 2006, and it's been up on the WotC website for some time. Really.
love to all,
THO

Have you a link to that tale, my lady? My search fu has not been up to the task of finding it...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  07:08:21  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Kuje, Ed sent the Spin A Yarn in before the end of 2006, and it's been up on the WotC website for some time. Really.
love to all,
THO

Have you a link to that tale, my lady? My search fu has not been up to the task of finding it...

Really? Odd, cause usually it takes about a year before it's posted. Mutter. I never saw the link and it was never mentioned, anywhere, that I remember. Plus, I just looked through the novel archieves, which is where the other Spin a Yarn's are archieved, on WOTC's site, and it doesn't appear to be listed. Nor is it listed on the FR site.

Are you sure, THO, that the 2006 one has been posted? I see that all of them from 2002 to 2005 are but not the one for Gencon 06.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 14 May 2007 07:22:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  08:43:43  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Indeed, I have to agree...

It may be that the '06 "Spin A Yarn" was unintentionally lost from the Novel Archives during WotC's series of upgrades for their website. As it is... I've found nothing relating to any additional "Spin A Yarn" material beyond the last posted for '05.

My Lady, we need your help!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mandras
Seeker

Estonia
51 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  17:12:46  Show Profile  Visit Mandras's Homepage Send Mandras a Private Message
Hello Ed,

Could You help me out with a minor detail about Sword Coast area:

What does the banner and trail signs of Baldur's Gate Merchant's Guild look like? I have not been able to find these in any official material.

Best Regards,

Mandras

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."
Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

ijkay
Seeker

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  18:40:27  Show Profile Send ijkay a Private Message
My suggestion for fiction topics would be:

Anything dwarvish, in particular a story dealing with fallen kingdoms for which little has been published.

Tales set in one of the Dales other then Shadowdale. For example you provided a tremedous amount of lore on Harrowdale in this thread some time ago. Tales that would flesh out some of the Dales less published in such detail would be great.

A tale providing insight into the day-to-day doings of the phaerimm

A tale providing insight into the day-to-day doings of the Northmen of the isles in the northwest of Faerun (such as Ruathym or Gundarlun)

Ian Franks

Ian Franks

"So I thought to myself who gives a damn if all the jobs are gone, I'm going to be a Pirate on the River Saskatchewan!", The Arrogant Worms
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  19:12:14  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, everyone. This time Ed responds to this recent query from Charles Phipps:

(snip)

Do God parents exist in the Realms? What would be the expected duties of our PCs if they were named so for our young pair of Royal Relations?

Gods help me, I can't resist! -- aren't Bane and Bhaal the ultimate "god fathers" in recent Realms history? (Okay, I have slapped myself. No one else needs to do so.)

Ahem. A series of questions, Ed, if you don't mind: will you please describe for us the process of wine-making in Faerun and in the Utter East from grapes to drinking jack (or tankard or mug or -- rarely -- glass)? Wine bottles are repeatedly mentioned in Realms fiction, and I think corks have also been mentioned, but putting wine into bottles and then corking the bottles is a very advanced and sophisticated (if simple) technology, yet it exists in Faerun, doesn't it? What about in the Shou empire? Are there certain regions which are known internationally for producing fine wines? Are "vintage years" ever declared and marked on the bottles, or is the year always marked -- or never? Is wine aged in wooden casks, and if so, do some areas still use amphorae? Do wine bottles have standardized paper (or parchment or whatever) labels, unique to a particular grower or region or shipper? If wines are labelled, are wines from some regions or of some varieties more highly prized than others? When grape wine is transported by ship or by caravan, perhaps across hundreds of miles in varying weather conditions, how is it shipped? (In a game mechanical context, in the Conan RPG book on piracy, loot is classified according as various forms of "cargo," and in most cases a cargo common in one region is considered "uncommon" and thus ten times more valuable in some other region. Does that translate well to the Realms, i.e. if a pirate in the Dragon Reach nets a cargo of local Cormyrean wine, is he going to have a more valuable wine if he sells it in Chessenta, or is he just going to have a hold full of vinegar?)

In "civilized" cuisines, is it commonly recognized that some wines, or types of wine, go better with some foods than with others? (I insert an aside here, in light of this week's episode of "Desperate Housewives," and considering what is coming out of Maztica nowadays: a celebrated wine expert once compiled a list of foods with suggested wines to accompany the food, and the list included this entry: "Chocolate -- No wine goes with it.") To venture a bit aside, since some brandies most definitely "go" with" chocolate, is the distillation of wine into spiritous liquors practiced in Faerun, or are the various liquers sipped by the gossips of Cormyr something less than eighty proof? Aurora sells distillation equipment in her catalog's wizard's section, but has anyone ever thought to distill wine, and if so, when did that momentous breakthrough first occur? If alcohol is distilled, is it recognized as an external wound cleaner and an antiseptic (a "blood purifier," perhaps), or does it remain an alchemical curiosity?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 26 May 2007 19:22:43
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  03:05:50  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I have several questions I'll throw into the mix... mind you, some of them aren't completely formed yet, so might be a touch vague.

1) The term "consort" in the Realms. The word, IMHO, is terriby vague, and has so many different meanings as to be almost useless except when the context is crystal clear. My question is: What is the most commonly accepted definition of the word in Abeir-Toril? What context is it usually used in? For example, FRCS describes Vaerana Hawklin as being Yanseldara's consort - does this mean that Vaerana is formally married to Yanseldara? Does it mean she's some kind of acknowledged lover/mistress? Or does it simply mean she's a friend/companion/associate? Most often, I've seen the term used in the context of a ruler's offical partner/spouse, which would imply in the case I mentioned, that Vaerana is formally married to Yanseldara. (I may have asked this question before, but my memory is flakey at the moment and my search-fu is conciderably weakened while I'm away from my own computer. That'll teach me for not putting "important" documents on my laptop when I'm uncertian of when I'll be back at my desktop computer!)

2) How common would it be for sorcerers to teach wizards and vice versa? Is it even possible? If it's not, what about a sorcerer with a couple of levels as a wizard (and vice versa) and formal training as a teacher?

3) On the topic of teaching wizards/sorcerers (and sticking to Cormyr), are there any War Wizards of Cormyr who are known for their ability at teaching young wizards/sorcerers? If a War Wizard took on an apprentice, would that apprentice be required to serve the War Wizards as the cost of their apprenticeship? If they could pay by other means (such as the child of a noble, who pays a large sum for the education of their child), would that exempt them from service?

4) Do War Wizards retire at all, or is their membership lifelong? Could a War Wizard request to be taken off active service, and perhaps play a teaching/support role?

I guess that'll do for my questions for now. I have others, but I should really wait until I can verify they haven't been asked before (mostly on the topic of teaching/education in general in the Realms - so if anyone can give me a heads up where I could find if there have been such questions asked before, that'd be great!).

Short stories I'd like to see: Minor characters experiencing life in the Realms for one (thinking on the scale of what low to mid level PCs might typically do). Anything about pretty much every/any/all major female NPC types. Anything about LGBTI people (which could easily be worked in to just about anything else). Anything about Tymorans and Sharessans and their doings. Umm... I could be here all day coming up with the sorts of things I'd like to see, so I'll just leave it at that!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  23:48:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

1) The term "consort" in the Realms. The word, IMHO, is terriby vague, and has so many different meanings as to be almost useless except when the context is crystal clear. My question is: What is the most commonly accepted definition of the word in Abeir-Toril? What context is it usually used in? For example, FRCS describes Vaerana Hawklin as being Yanseldara's consort - does this mean that Vaerana is formally married to Yanseldara? Does it mean she's some kind of acknowledged lover/mistress? Or does it simply mean she's a friend/companion/associate? Most often, I've seen the term used in the context of a ruler's offical partner/spouse, which would imply in the case I mentioned, that Vaerana is formally married to Yanseldara. (I may have asked this question before, but my memory is flakey at the moment and my search-fu is conciderably weakened while I'm away from my own computer. That'll teach me for not putting "important" documents on my laptop when I'm uncertian of when I'll be back at my desktop computer!)

That's a great question and I'm interested in it as well, though I think it's partly about how the term "consort" is used in products and how we are supposed to interpret it, not only about how it's used within the setting. Sometimes "consort" implies a professional relationship, not a sexual one. But regarding Vaerana and Yanseldara, I think it's been mentioned before that they have a romantic/sexual relationship. Not sure if they are actually married or not--I guess we'll find out.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Phoebus
Seeker

18 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  00:08:34  Show Profile  Visit Phoebus's Homepage  Send Phoebus a Yahoo! Message Send Phoebus a Private Message
I always assume that terms of the English language carry their proper meaning in gaming supplements. The primary definition of "Consort" in my dictionary is "a husband or wife; spouse, esp. of a reigning monarch" (emphasis mine). A "companion, associate, or partner: a confidant and consort of heads of state" is also #4 down the list. Given this, I would have no problem describing the above pair as being married. "Consort" in this case, IMHO, is used (A) because of PC reasons and (B) due to the fact that a head of state is in this relationship. Go to Wikipedia, for example, and check out the entry for Queen Elizabeth II: Prince Philip, her husband, is listed as Consort. The same can be said for all the royal houses on that website, as I recall.

One could bring up the varianc8e in names, but there are plenty of historical examples where heads of state maintained their own names for political reasons. Yanseldara and Vaerana likely don't have to worry about sharing names for more than one reason. To begin with, the FR aren't necessarily weighed down with our need to share names. Adventurers especially seem to keep surnames that have little to do with their families. Merith Strongbow and Jhessail Silvetree don't share names either. :)

Edited by - Phoebus on 16 May 2007 00:09:46
Go to Top of Page

Phoebus
Seeker

18 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  00:12:00  Show Profile  Visit Phoebus's Homepage  Send Phoebus a Yahoo! Message Send Phoebus a Private Message
To the Hooded One and, through her, Ed:

What do you see Merith Strongbow doing in a campaign that takes into account the events detailed in the "Last Mythal Trilogy"? Can you see Merith having much of a role in the newly rebuilt Myth Drannor?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  00:16:34  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Phoebus

What do you see Merith Strongbow doing in a campaign that takes into account the events detailed in the "Last Mythal Trilogy"? Can you see Merith having much of a role in the newly rebuilt Myth Drannor?

I smell a strong smell of NDA on this one. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Phoebus
Seeker

18 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  01:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Phoebus's Homepage  Send Phoebus a Yahoo! Message Send Phoebus a Private Message
A man's gotta ask!

Edited by - Phoebus on 16 May 2007 01:15:57
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  01:16:18  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
quote:

Wow! I didn't think of this question, but I'll sure second it!

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29999 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  02:07:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

What does an NDA smell like?

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  02:19:01  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

What does an NDA smell like?

Old crusty..... underwe.... parchment. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  16:59:18  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Greetings Ed and the Hooded One.

I was reading Ed's Elminster's Guide to the Realms article in Dragon #289 - "The Shunned Street" - and now I'm wondering how widespread knowledge of the Arcane mark ward spell presented therein is. Is it a Thayvian exclusive, or does wizards of other regions also know of it (or of identical spells researched independently)?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  20:25:19  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I was reading Ed's Elminster's Guide to the Realms article in Dragon #289 - "The Shunned Street" - and now I'm wondering how widespread knowledge of the Arcane mark ward spell presented therein is. Is it a Thayvian exclusive, or does wizards of other regions also know of it (or of identical spells researched independently)?

Could you post the spell for those of us who can't find such back issues please.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  01:03:54  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
The spell is officially published material, so it's unlikely Kaje can re-print it, exactly as it is, here at Candlekeep.

I will note that Dragon #289 is available as a back issue at paizo.com:- http://paizo.com/store/paizo/dragon/issues/2001/289

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Phoebus
Seeker

18 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  02:53:13  Show Profile  Visit Phoebus's Homepage  Send Phoebus a Yahoo! Message Send Phoebus a Private Message
Here's another Cormanthyr-related question I had...

Did the Akh'Velarn and Akh'Faer get paid (by coin or otherwise) for their services, professional army-style? They appear to be a standing force...
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
648 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  09:42:34  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

a celebrated wine expert once compiled a list of foods with suggested wines to accompany the food, and the list included this entry: "Chocolate -- No wine goes with it."

Having personally experienced this in a very good, bordering on nuevo cuisine restourant once, I can attest that a Shiraz goes down very well with chocolate. What made this occasion so memorable was that it is standard practice to be able to order any wine by the glass in this place. In fact it is something that is actively encouraged by the staff, so as to appreciate each course of the meal with a different type of wine.

Whether or not a realmsian version of Shiraz exists, only Ed will be able to tell us...

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

I am a sexy, shoeless god of war!

The Sellplague began, for all intents and purposes, in the dominions of the Corporation. Greed murdered Good Design, unraveling common sense in the cosmos and destroying her dominion. At the same time, Sales Fears and Warcraft Envy happened into alignment. This cataclysmic coincidence led to upheaval, shaking apart the primeval order, opening up holes in wallets, and reshaping everything...
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3295 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  11:35:11  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar
The term "consort" in the Realms. The word, IMHO, is terriby vague . . .
Deliberately so, I think. It's used to refer to intimate companions of important people without specifying whether they're married (and if so how), love each other, have sexual intercourse, and other matters which aren't the public's business.
Go to Top of Page

Tormtar
Seeker

20 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  14:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Tormtar's Homepage Send Tormtar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,

I was just wondering if Ed might be able to shed any light on the prominent members and activities of the Greatgaunt family of Cormyr (as mentioned in the entry for Greatgaunt in Volo's Guide to Cormyr)?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  17:06:06  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Could you post the spell for those of us who can't find such back issues please.

Like the Sage said, it's copyrighted material - a quick summary that doesn't give away any particulars would be that it's a slightly more advanced version of the alarm spell

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  19:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Gods help me, I can't resist! -- aren't Bane and Bhaal the ultimate "god fathrs" in recent Realms history? (Okay, I have slapped myself. No one else needs to do so.)

"God fathrs"? (sorry, neither could I )

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2007 :  20:23:45  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000