Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  04:19:59  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Master Ed and Lady THO,

It is known that Candlekeep is the greatest library of the human races. Which are the greatest libraries of Elves and Dwarves?
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  13:42:06  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage  Send Kes_Alanadel a Yahoo! Message Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
While perhaps not 'the' greatest library of Elven lore, Everdusk Hall in Silverymoon (pg.62 Silver Marches) may be a fairly important one. My guess is that the greatest for Elves would be on Evermeet. For the Dwarves, I'm not sure, but mayhaps Dwarves Deep would list some.
~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  14:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

The Hooded One -- another question for Ed.

Master Greenwood,

In 'the old grey box' Sammereza Sulphontis is, I believe, listed as a Lord of Waterdeep. In the novels I've read that include the Lords, I've never seen him portrayed. Is he still a Lord of Waterdeep? What's his story?

Regards,
RevJest




I believe theres a brief mention of him in Elf Song and from memory the other Lords didnt seem to like Sammereza very much (Probably has to do with the fact he has a NE alignment and all the other Lords are Good or Neutral)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
29635 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  21:59:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

The Hooded One -- another question for Ed.

Master Greenwood,

In 'the old grey box' Sammereza Sulphontis is, I believe, listed as a Lord of Waterdeep. In the novels I've read that include the Lords, I've never seen him portrayed. Is he still a Lord of Waterdeep? What's his story?

Regards,
RevJest




I believe theres a brief mention of him in Elf Song and from memory the other Lords didnt seem to like Sammereza very much (Probably has to do with the fact he has a NE alignment and all the other Lords are Good or Neutral)



I once theorized a NE alignment for him, but later comments made me revise this idea. I know of no such stated alignment for Sammereza -- the 1E and 2E stuff leaves his stats up in the air, and the City of Splendors: Waterdeep specifically states he is true neutral.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  02:02:21  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello Ed,

I'm curious how you deal with players as Barbarians in your games, or dealt with them if anyone bothered to play one? I have noticed a trend of players taking 1st level of the class for the features and I'm curious as to how you handled the whole rage thing. I am under the impression that raging means the Barbarian has to attack either an inanimate object like a door that won't give or an enemy that won't fall. It is often played as just a buff ability with no regard to the concept of the roleplaying of the class at all. I picture a barbarian's raging as it's last ditch attempt to overcome an adversary and either the adversary is going down or the barbarian is. Basically in your game, world, can a barbarian rage and not attack anything at all when it suits him to do so? Can he withdraw from combat while raging to gain a tactical advantage or delay his action till someone else does something that may assist him in battle even if he's already raging and engaged in combat?

Sorry if long-winded question, just trying to put my mind around how this works or should work.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  03:08:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

The Hooded One -- another question for Ed.

Master Greenwood,

In 'the old grey box' Sammereza Sulphontis is, I believe, listed as a Lord of Waterdeep. In the novels I've read that include the Lords, I've never seen him portrayed. Is he still a Lord of Waterdeep? What's his story?

Regards,
RevJest




I believe theres a brief mention of him in Elf Song and from memory the other Lords didnt seem to like Sammereza very much (Probably has to do with the fact he has a NE alignment and all the other Lords are Good or Neutral)



I once theorized a NE alignment for him, but later comments made me revise this idea. I know of no such stated alignment for Sammereza -- the 1E and 2E stuff leaves his stats up in the air, and the City of Splendors: Waterdeep specifically states he is true neutral.



Im sure I saw a NE alignment for him in either a 1ed or 2ed product

FR1 says he trades in slaves

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 16 Mar 2007 03:10:13
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  03:11:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, fellow scribes. Ed’s finished one project and took a breather (ha!) by participating in a Game Designers Social at Ryerson University in Toronto last night (with Robin Laws, Malcolm Campbell, etc. etc.) before plunging into his next project. He also took the time to answer some Candlekeep queries.

Patrakis, did you miss Ed’s reply to you about the Dusk Lord? You asked on page 27 of the 06 thread, and reposted your query again on page 43, and Ed answered you on page 83 of the 06 thread, and again on Page 11 of this year’s thread. Reading them through, I think he covered what you asked about on March 8th - - but if not, let us know, okay?

Penknight, in regards to your question: “Oh, how often do they look for fresh ideas and new authors (if you happen to know). Thank you!”
Ed had this to say:



In one sense, Wizards of the Coast is ALWAYS looking for fresh ideas and new authors. In another: it varies, because any publisher is constantly juggling what they want to publish, what they think might be successful if they published it in the near future, known authors, projects “in hand,” and new talent. So if they have more upcoming product slots than tried-and-true writers who are “free” (time-wise) at the moment, of course they will look to new talent. Also, if they don’t think authors in the “stable” are right for a planned project, they’ll look to someone new (and having your stuff published, in a place where they’ll find it, is obviously a strong positive factor at such times).
Check the Books “front page” at the Wizard website every few weeks. Down near the bottom center will be any announcement regarding what lines are open, if they’re looking for new submissions at the moment, and guidelines. (Obviously, FOLLOW those guidelines. :} )
Far more than some other fantasy publishers, Wizards looks for, and publishes, writers who aren’t yet well established. Try to get yourself “on the radar” of the folks who handle WotC’s book publishing, and be polite, professional, write the best darn stuff ever seen, AND BEAT YOUR DEADLINES - - and they’ll love you.


So saith Ed. Who has published somewhere around 160 books, and written over 170 (most publishers take a minimum of nine months to go from a completed manuscript handed in and accepted to a published book sitting on the store shelves).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
29635 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  04:34:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

The Hooded One -- another question for Ed.

Master Greenwood,

In 'the old grey box' Sammereza Sulphontis is, I believe, listed as a Lord of Waterdeep. In the novels I've read that include the Lords, I've never seen him portrayed. Is he still a Lord of Waterdeep? What's his story?

Regards,
RevJest




I believe theres a brief mention of him in Elf Song and from memory the other Lords didnt seem to like Sammereza very much (Probably has to do with the fact he has a NE alignment and all the other Lords are Good or Neutral)



I once theorized a NE alignment for him, but later comments made me revise this idea. I know of no such stated alignment for Sammereza -- the 1E and 2E stuff leaves his stats up in the air, and the City of Splendors: Waterdeep specifically states he is true neutral.



Im sure I saw a NE alignment for him in either a 1ed or 2ed product

FR1 says he trades in slaves



Both FR1 Waterdeep and the North and the City of Splendors boxed set both fail to give any stats. And Steven Schend stated (or at least implied) that Sammy buying slaves wasn't for his personal benefit, it was to get the slaves out of slavery.

But we're really derailing this thread...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  13:21:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Both FR1 Waterdeep and the North and the City of Splendors boxed set both fail to give any stats. And Steven Schend stated (or at least implied) that Sammy buying slaves wasn't for his personal benefit, it was to get the slaves out of slavery.

But we're really derailing this thread...



It's amazing how those little details can completely change a story. Someone who "buys slaves" could be an uncaring bastard or someone trying to give people a chance at freedom. But still, I don't for sure, myself, so...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 16 Mar 2007 13:22:19
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2007 :  02:36:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes.
Here's a quote from Ed on Sammereza:


Sammereza travels the Realms on behalf of Waterdeep (and himself); picture a younger, more agile Mirt; a wheeler-dealer who is a much better actor than Mirt now bothers to be. In other words, a cheerful swindler, but with good intentions and a soft heart--who can be merciless when he has to. THAT'S Sammereza.


So, got it? :}

This time Ed formally answers createvmind, re. this: “Ed how does one determine if an item is cursed in Faerun if the only spell they have available is Identify, I assume the answer is the hard way by donning it. Though I've allowed c of Mystra and the young mage to ramble on about magic this and things going wrong or being corrupted, they have developed a habit of once Identifying item, of donning it if it's useful. They currently came into possesion of a cursed item and I want to make sure if they cast identify they get all relevant info so if they choose to use it then it's on them.
Thanks again”
Ed replies:



Fair enough. One can of course use Legend Lore, Stone Tell if the object is of stone (or partially of stone, or has always been stored in a stone casing), Augury, and - - best of all but rarely thought of - - taking the object to a temple of Mystra, or the altar of a shrine consecrated to Mystra, and making a generous offering. At the temple, the priests will pray to Mystra; at the shrine (unless the PCs are lucky enough to encounter a priest of Mystra there), they’ll have to do the praying themselves, calling on Mystra to reveal if the item has a curse, or “bears magic designed to harm the user.” If this is done, I have always as a DM, using priests of either Mystra or Azuth, ALWAYS revealed to petitioners if the magic item they want examined either: bears an actual curse, is primarily (or entirely) designed to harm or trick the user / wielder, or can do harm to the user /wielder but also has a beneficial use or power that is as strong as the harm. The petitioners don’t learn the nature of the harm unless they are already personally close to the deity (i.e. the Chosen, or a mortal who’s temporarily serving Mystra or Azuth as a personal champion in a task, including fulfilling an atonement or holy duty).
Otherwise, yes, trying it on is the (hard) way ahead.
If I was DMing this situation, I would have an older NPC wizard, scribe, herald, or priest of Mystra, Azuth, or Oghma “warn” the PCs that “’tis always best to pray properly to Mystra, at a temple of the Lady, when one handles unknown magic; she’s not called the Lady of Mysteries for nothing.” If they ask what the heck that means, have the NPC explain fully, as I have done, above.
Then, if they ignore that advice and try to use or don the item, your conscience can be clear.
If cursed items strongly bother you ethically, do what I almost always do, instead: don’t introduce them into your campaign; hand out “real” magic items instead, but have them crumble to dust after a single use, or shatter when used (producing a wild magic effect while doing so).



So saith Ed. A kind, tender-hearted storytelling DM.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 17 Mar 2007 02:46:36
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
536 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2007 :  17:51:10  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello, fellow scribes. Ed’s finished one project and took a breather (ha!) by participating in a Game Designers Social at Ryerson University in Toronto last night (with Robin Laws, Malcolm Campbell, etc. etc.) before plunging into his next project. He also took the time to answer some Candlekeep queries.

Patrakis, did you miss Ed’s reply to you about the Dusk Lord? You asked on page 27 of the 06 thread, and reposted your query again on page 43, and Ed answered you on page 83 of the 06 thread, and again on Page 11 of this year’s thread. Reading them through, I think he covered what you asked about on March 8th - - but if not, let us know, okay?

Penknight, in regards to your question: “Oh, how often do they look for fresh ideas and new authors (if you happen to know). Thank you!”
Ed had this to say:



In one sense, Wizards of the Coast is ALWAYS looking for fresh ideas and new authors. In another: it varies, because any publisher is constantly juggling what they want to publish, what they think might be successful if they published it in the near future, known authors, projects “in hand,” and new talent. So if they have more upcoming product slots than tried-and-true writers who are “free” (time-wise) at the moment, of course they will look to new talent. Also, if they don’t think authors in the “stable” are right for a planned project, they’ll look to someone new (and having your stuff published, in a place where they’ll find it, is obviously a strong positive factor at such times).
Check the Books “front page” at the Wizard website every few weeks. Down near the bottom center will be any announcement regarding what lines are open, if they’re looking for new submissions at the moment, and guidelines. (Obviously, FOLLOW those guidelines. :} )
Far more than some other fantasy publishers, Wizards looks for, and publishes, writers who aren’t yet well established. Try to get yourself “on the radar” of the folks who handle WotC’s book publishing, and be polite, professional, write the best darn stuff ever seen, AND BEAT YOUR DEADLINES - - and they’ll love you.


So saith Ed. Who has published somewhere around 160 books, and written over 170 (most publishers take a minimum of nine months to go from a completed manuscript handed in and accepted to a published book sitting on the store shelves).
love to all,
THO


I appreciate the information very much, thank you!

If I actually get to write for Wizards, I hope that Mr. Greenwood wouldn't mind if I dedicated my book to him. Please send along my thanks, honorable Lady, and a deep felt thanks to you as well.

*hands Hooded One a flower*

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2007 :  18:06:14  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thank you,

One player in particular is soooooooooooooo deserving of this "cursed" item, but I will again "steer" them into being made aware of the dangers and who to turn to. I can see it now if he actually donned the item. "I have a 18 Intelligence (He can't help but think in turns of stats since he's so cerebral in real-life.) surely I would have known to take this to a temple of Mystra, that's just common sense. What do you mean I can't take it off now, I wouldn't have put it on in the first place. Huh?......Well I OBVIOUSLY assumed that WE had made sure it wasn't cursed when WE were examining it on the road, surely WE passed a shrine of Mystra on the way and WE would have NATURALLY prayed to make sure the item was ok. What? Yes I worship Sarvas but I still should have known this even though I was raised as a slave in Thay, I have an 18 INTELLIGENCE!"

No really he plays like that when something goes wrong in regards to his character, it's quite comical once you get past the annoying part.

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  01:04:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ooooh, createvmind, I *itch* to DM your player, and throw NPCs at him that talk and behave EXACTLY as he does, and see if he thinks that's fair and polite behaviour when it's done to him. :}
Ahem.
Hi again, all. This time I bring you an Ed of the Greenwood answer to Kajehase’s query: “Greetings Ed and Our Lovely Lady of the Hood, today I bring yet another question regarding Aglarond.
Races of Faerûn gives us the percentages for how many of the various human ethnicities that dwell in the Altumber and Aglarond regions. However, since the Altumbel region (in the 3rd edition sense) wasn't introduced until [i]Unapproachable East[i], we only have the population figures for Aglarond as a whole - so what I'm wondering is: How large a part of the Aglarondan population dwells in Altumbel? (And while I'm at it: How large a part of the population lives in the Yuirwood? and what is the Half-elf/Human ratio?)”
Ed replies:



Not counting castaways, deliberately-marooned prisoners, and visiting pirates who spend most of their time elsewhere, Altumbel (including the Thousand Swords) is almost entirely populated by humans, and most of them (as given in RACES OF FAERUN) are Damarans, though the pirate and other naval visits have resulted in tiny numbers of almost every sort of human. No one has ever done an accurate count of those who dwell in Altumbel, so I stand with the best estimates known at the court in Velprintalar: that only about 2 in 10 Aglarondans live in the peninsula (and archipelago), and that the population there has been declining for a long time (it was 2.5 in 10 as little as a century ago). Although military depredations tend to fall more heavily on other parts of Aglarond, the weather is harshest (coldest in winter, dampest always, and with the least shelter, firewood, and edible vegetation and protection from wind, ice, and beating sun), and pirates, lawlessness, and malcontents (including blood-feuding longtime local families) wreak more havoc in Altumbel than elsewhere in Aglarond.
Very few Aglarondans, relative speaking, live in the depths of the Yuirwood (as opposed to around the fringes), but I’m going to avoid going into specifics because of what MIGHT be in certain future Wizards of the Coast products. The half-elf to human ratio in Aglarond is 7 half-elves to one human in the Yuirwood fringes, and 3 half-elves out of every 10 Aglarondans in the immediate border between the unbroken forest and farmlands to the north (as far west as Urst). That drops to 2 or 1 in 10 as one goes north to the coast, except in the immediate vicinity of towns and cities with a higher ratio (they’re detailed in UNAPPROACHABLE EAST).
If all of this makes Altumbel sound inhospitable but prime adventuring territory: yep.



So saith Ed. Creator of Altumbel, Aglarond, the Yuirwood, and all those little bitty islands, too.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  05:12:40  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,

Unlike our world there is certainly no doubt that gods exist. Has there ever been anyone in history that has voiced the opinion that Faerun would be a better place without the meddling of the gods?
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  22:28:58  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Dear Ed and Lady THO,

Unlike our world there is certainly no doubt that gods exist. Has there ever been anyone in history that has voiced the opinion that Faerun would be a better place without the meddling of the gods?



Ummm... half the population of fair Faerûn?

No, seriously, I seem to remember that Zeboaster of Ordulin was/is a very passionate and outspoken sage, who has lived in hiding ever since he has angered almost every organization and faith on Toril.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3291 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  22:50:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Correct me if I misspeak: but the gods don't meddle except in extremely rare, far-separated cases that few people know about or remember. Rather, folk are aware of 'the gods' as unknowable agents of fate who move behind visible events -- part of the way of things, not interference from without. But many have commented on the gods' fickleness, and the folly of putting too much trust in them, or in priests.
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  02:01:16  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Thanks for the pointer to Zeboaster.

Faraer - that's a good point. By "meddling" I mean their use of powerful organizations and individuals. The Zhentarim and the Chosen would be examples of what I'm thinking of.
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  02:05:59  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello, fellow scribes. Ed’s finished one project and took a breather (ha!) by participating in a Game Designers Social at Ryerson University in Toronto last night (with Robin Laws, Malcolm Campbell, etc. etc.) before plunging into his next project. He also took the time to answer some Candlekeep queries.

Patrakis, did you miss Ed’s reply to you about the Dusk Lord? You asked on page 27 of the 06 thread, and reposted your query again on page 43, and Ed answered you on page 83 of the 06 thread, and again on Page 11 of this year’s thread. Reading them through, I think he covered what you asked about on March 8th - - but if not, let us know, okay?



Miss One :)

I'm so ashamed i missed Mr. Greenwood response to my query. I may have switched to the 07 thread too soon and missed the last response of the year. And what a response it was. I hope Mr. Greenwood will get my hearthfelt thanks for adressing my question. His answer couldn't be too late either. I'm still in the middle of my Valedale campaign and the retaking of Sessrendale hasn't occured yet. His answer will had a great deal of dept to the history of the sector. And to think he asked for news on how the campaign goes? I mean ... is there a clone of the man???

Well, that's it for me... and thanks again Mr. Greenwood and THO for bringing his words to me.

Sincerely.

Pat




Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com

Edited by - Patrakis on 19 Mar 2007 03:40:12
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  02:23:55  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
Master Greenwood,

I've always been fascinated by the idea of Deepspawn! They're such interesting critters. And present so many interesting possibilities.

If a sentient being is eaten by a Deepspawn, what sort of beings come back out? Do they have the same class and level as the original being? Do they think in exactly the same way? And where does the soul or spirit for these new beings come from? Do they have a soul or spirit?

Allowing a Deepspawn to eat you is something I can imagine some desperate people doing, if they were beset by enemies and in desperate need of additional numbers to help protect others.

- RJ

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  02:50:42  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
RevJest, while Ed will likely have more to add... I'll provide of few of his earlier thoughts on the deepspawn -

"On August 8, 2005 THO said: A Deepspawn duplicates a particular orc (or human, or whatever) it has devoured: endless copies of exactly the same creature. They "come alive" knowing their bodies and how to use them (a human trained with a longsword could use it just as before death), but without prior memories (wizards don't have memorized spells, and human copy A meeting human copy B might say: "You look a lot like my reflection in yon pool," but WOULDN'T immediately say: "Hey, you're me!"

If that helps. That's the way Ed (who created Deepspawn) has always run them, anyway. We Knights ran into quite a few of them.

love,
THO

On August 10, 2005 THO said: And so does Ed. He had a beholder colony (in a human castle) that had done just that, and kept deepspawn close-guarded in some of the lower chambers, spewing out endless weak young beholders to serve as guards, scouts ("want food? go hunt for it!") and ultimately as food for the more powerful senior beholders. The deepspawn had also eaten adventurers, and spewed THEM out as food (and the beholders used them as decoys, when later adventurers came exploring). Deadly.

love,
THO"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  16:36:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. This time responds to MaxKaladin’s query: “I was wondering if Ed could tell us what sort of things one might find in an adventuring company charter. Also, has Ed ever actually written up a charter?”
Ed replies:



I’ve written eight charters that I can recall, but all now belong to TSR (Wizards of the Coast), and I can’t reproduce them here without permission.
So let me just run through the basics: usually written on the best vellum or parchment, signed by the issuer (usually a ruler, but sometimes a Lord Marshal, Grand Vizier, or other lofty officer of the Court specifically empowered to grant charters - - and because not every reader may know this, the charter will always specifically say so, e.g. this century-old Chessentan example: “Expressly empowered by His Majesty Harhoun the Exalted to grant a charter of the right to bear arms within the territories and protectorates of”) AND also bearing a royal or Court seal or Herald-witnessed (in writing, on the charter) rune, and will always contain a roster of members of the company [so if your name isn’t on it, you aren’t covered by it; though note that many charters contain an “alljack” name (a modern American might say a “John Doe pseudonym”) that any new or trial member assumes so that they’re covered; typical Faerûnian ones include “Jack-of-Blades” and “Harl Amendall”].
Each charter usually begins with something along the lines of: “Know ye all, by this good and true document, that the bearers are entitled by the Crown of [[place]] to bear arms within the lands under our writ and hand.”
From this beginning, the charter may well exhaustively list all such lands, and will always specify the name of the company and “spell out” the rights, privileges, and obligations it confers upon the adventurers.
Then will follow the roster of the company, each name customarily bearing beside it a signature, personal rune, or mark (even if it’s just an “X”) signifying that the named being has agreed to the charter, and the “authority” (the signing, seal or rune, witnessing, and explanation). This should present a polite but firm threat that messing with these adventurers means messing with the authority of the ruler and accepted civilized behavior (“as witnessed by Heralds of note and standing”) everywhere, so “consider and conduct thyself accordingly.”
Some rulers, especially in the Shining South, have engraved such charters on metal plaques, shields, or even swords, but the practice somehow never “catches on” to achieve widespread acceptance.



So saith Ed. Who wrote us up a beautiful charter that is so personal that I think I’ll keep it to myself. It brings a warm smile to my face whenever I read it.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  20:46:07  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Thanks for the pointer to Zeboaster.



Actually, there are some tidbits about him in 'Forgotten Realms Adventures' but not very much. I also recall that there is at least another accessory that has additional details, but I cannot remember which (perhaps one of the Volo's guides?).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  23:11:49  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed also briefly discussed Zeboaster's fate in his '05 replies -- specifically March 21st.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2007 :  18:41:32  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. This time I bring you an Ed of the Greenwood answer to Kajehase’s query:

Not counting castaways, deliberately-marooned prisoners, and visiting pirates who spend most of their time elsewhere, Altumbel (including the Thousand Swords) is almost entirely populated by humans, and most of them (as given in RACES OF FAERUN) are Damarans, though the pirate and other naval visits have resulted in tiny numbers of almost every sort of human. No one has ever done an accurate count of those who dwell in Altumbel, so I stand with the best estimates known at the court in Velprintalar: that only about 2 in 10 Aglarondans live in the peninsula (and archipelago), and that the population there has been declining for a long time (it was 2.5 in 10 as little as a century ago). Although military depredations tend to fall more heavily on other parts of Aglarond, the weather is harshest (coldest in winter, dampest always, and with the least shelter, firewood, and edible vegetation and protection from wind, ice, and beating sun), and pirates, lawlessness, and malcontents (including blood-feuding longtime local families) wreak more havoc in Altumbel than elsewhere in Aglarond.
Very few Aglarondans, relative speaking, live in the depths of the Yuirwood (as opposed to around the fringes), but I’m going to avoid going into specifics because of what MIGHT be in certain future Wizards of the Coast products. The half-elf to human ratio in Aglarond is 7 half-elves to one human in the Yuirwood fringes, and 3 half-elves out of every 10 Aglarondans in the immediate border between the unbroken forest and farmlands to the north (as far west as Urst). That drops to 2 or 1 in 10 as one goes north to the coast, except in the immediate vicinity of towns and cities with a higher ratio (they’re detailed in UNAPPROACHABLE EAST).
If all of this makes Altumbel sound inhospitable but prime adventuring territory: yep.

So saith Ed. Creator of Altumbel, Aglarond, the Yuirwood, and all those little bitty islands, too.
love to all,
THO


And he did a good job of it, too.

My profound thanks to Ed and THO, I am yet a little bit more enlightened.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2007 :  20:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, all. This time responds to MaxKaladin’s query: “I was wondering if Ed could tell us what sort of things one might find in an adventuring company charter. Also, has Ed ever actually written up a charter?”
Ed replies:



I’ve written eight charters that I can recall, but all now belong to TSR (Wizards of the Coast), and I can’t reproduce them here without permission.

(snip)



Dungeon Magazine #88 has an article about a broken Netherese portal system which includes a full page on Cormyte rules for chartered adventuring groups and "bands," including the fees, taxes, and the late fees on taxes. (Did you know that a "band" of 7 or more adventurers is officially declared "outlaw" if its taxes go unpaid for a tenday?) This information is already published, so none of it is NDA (obviously!)

I am almost completely certain that it is in issue 88. I looked for it on the "Dungeon Magazine Index (beta)" at http://www.intwischa.com/dungeon/ and couldn't find that article, but "Thirds of Purloined Vellum," which I am fairly certain was in the same issue is shown as being in issue 88.


I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.


Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000