Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2007)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 72

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  17:09:12  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Ed looks nothing like Ron Jeremy, thank god, at least from the neck up, that's all I've seen of Ed and seen far too much of Ron from the neck down. :Shudders in disgust:

Ah, you've watched Ron's movies, then?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  18:04:24  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

Ed looks nothing like Ron Jeremy, thank god, at least from the neck up, that's all I've seen of Ed and seen far too much of Ron from the neck down. :Shudders in disgust:

Haha......disgusting...but you kept watching. I see you selected the Perv feat.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  19:00:16  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Had that feat already working in a video rental store that Vanessa Del Rio used to frequent in Brooklyn NY. :)
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  19:30:51  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Ahem.

May we return to our sheep, please? We don't want all of this sexy talk to distract Ed from his avocation of imparting Realmslore, do we? I have a few questions which have been in the hopper for more than a year and don't want Ed to lose focus on them by thinking about ... well ... you know.... Wink. Wink. Nudge. Nudge. Say no more!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  21:26:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Ahem.

May we return to our sheep, please? We don't want all of this sexy talk to distract Ed from his avocation of imparting Realmslore, do we? I have a few questions which have been in the hopper for more than a year and don't want Ed to lose focus on them by thinking about ... well ... you know.... Wink. Wink. Nudge. Nudge. Say no more!

From what I've seen of Ed, this won't distract him. He enjoys teasing people, especially WOTC employees, with sexual remarks. :) It IS teasing though, so don't be insulted. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  22:58:31  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I got a first-hand look at that at U-con. One of the women assigned to champarone him was a rather easy target, and Ed was having a grand old time.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  00:25:29  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

Haha......disgusting...but you kept watching. I see you selected the Perv feat.

Hey, is there something pervert in watching Ron? *Ahem* perhaps we should keep this discussion off this thread... you know, not to further encourage a certain Lady Herald to misbehave!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  02:18:10  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

LOL! Well, Ed's taller than Ron Jeremy, and has a better beard - - and having the two of them together would be darned scary (for some) and deliciously fulfilling (for others).
I'll leave the guessing as to which camp *I* fall into, to all of you.
love,
THO

Well from the rumors of what some of Ed's first drafts can be like he might give Ron more than a few Movie ideas! "The Seven Sisters"
Hello!!! Box Office Gold!!!!

Now fellow scribes....

Back to your previously scheduled programming!

P.S. I Love Candlekeep!!!!!

edit: Punctuation

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 03 Apr 2007 02:20:29
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  03:27:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
MISbehave, Asgetrion?
For Lady Heralds, this is the way we're SUPPOSED to behave! (Just for you, I'm typing this post fetchingly clad in the cords with which I tied myself into the chair. )
Ahem.
Hello again, all.
As promised, Ed tackles this, from RodOdom: “Dear Master Ed and Lady THO,
I'd like to ask of Ed a different sort of query. On Wikipedia and other sites I see some really stunning photos of natural landscapes of our real world and I wonder where in the Realms I may encounter a similar place. If I may present a single picture and ask where it reminds Ed and THO of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sugarloaf.JPG
Ed replies (with reference to Purple Dragon Knight’s suggestion of Shadowdale):

Nope, not Shadowdale. Too “open” (and a LITTLE too large-scale in the range between topographically high and low points; aside from the Old Skull - - which stands out as a landmark because it’s so locally unusual, remember? - - and more isolated heights such as Harpers Hill, the Shadowdale area has small, deep ravines in the woods, and LITTLE ridges - - such as Fox Ridge - - but is otherwise flat to gently rolling). More than anything else, Shadowdale “meets the eye” as cloaked and dominated by the great forest around it.
The photo is pretty close to the appearance of parts of both Harrowdale and Tasseldale, though. And even closer to some of the inland stretches of the Vast, in the “midlands” between the mountains at the north and south ends of that countryside.
Nice scene, but most parts of temperate Realms farmland have more woodlots, tattered little corners of “wild wood,” shrub- and tree-cloaked hedges, and so on. Not every little patch of ground is grazed and farmed, because there are so many factors (wars, severe winters, orc hordes, raiding monsters [from goblins up to hungry dragons!], resistance from elves, druids, korred and pixies and treants and dryads and other forest critters, and so on) causing populations to decline (so, not enough hands to work every inch of ground, no need to do so to glean enough crop yields, and no desire to, when “wild” areas yield animal food for the stewpots and hearth-spits).

So saith Ed. Who in the past referred several TSR designers to real-world photos in popular library reference books, to see the “look” of various locales in the Realms. A much harder thing to do today, when so many libraries have such paltry and more-diversely-sourced reference collections.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  05:13:27  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
THO wrote: "However, please don’t expect Ed to reply to each and every question in a multi-query post at the same time. Some easy answers (like this one, above) will be dealt with swiftly, and others may wait years (so neither Ed nor I have “forgotten” the questions in your two posts that aren’t answered in THIS post, and Ed will get to them, in the fullness of time)."

I have read through all the previous Ask Ed years and understand. A lot of the time, I won't expect answers to my questions due to understanding of the business arraingements that Ed made. I am just thankful to have a chance at getting my questions answered especially with "fluff" that seemingly got cut from supplements. Just stick to the diet, your words has been around my entire gaming career (all 20+ years) and it would be "less" having you around. Kind of like when Jim Henson died, the sun felt a little sadder.

THo wrote "If Corellon had noticed such an alteration, yes, he would have reacted, because he would have “felt” Moander’s divinity, however feeble - - and smelling another god at work on “your own” attracts divine attention like nothing else! :}
And lastly: yes, most magical means would detect Moander’s presence, as “something odd, not part of the founding spells, and STRONG - - stronger than anything should be” in a moonblade. However, only precisely correct means of magical probing (most of which processes would expose the prober to Moander’s influence or mind-attack, or even “possession” [mental takeover, so he’d be riding their mind]) would determine that it was Moander. Moander’s longterm residence in a moonblade would begin to manifest around the blade in terms of rot, decay, and corruption (scabbards rot or rust, swordbelts and baldrics, anything the blade touches or is laid upon weathers a trifle, etc., people who handle or wield it grow skin molds or get diseases, or even suffer flesh-eating diseases)."

Is this due to the fact that a diety's "portfolio" is an unescapable part of that being's make-up? I kind of had the impression that dieties were able to control their surrounding environment, sort of "turning off" their powers when they felt it was advantageous. Though I like the thought of an additional clue to give the PC's that something was amiss with this sword.
Any advice on how Corellon would have reacted? I'm guessing visions through priests and not any direct action?

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  14:35:05  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
I don't quite see how any man could relax with THO around, let alone Ed..

*coughs* Anyway! Hello again Ed and THO. I've got a couple of questions.

1: Have there been any famous emancipation movements, in regards to slavery in the Realms.

2: Are there any genetic disorders that arise from breeding between the various races, and how are they treat, and the people with them treated?

Thanks in advance for anything you can share with us.

Edited by - Uzzy on 03 Apr 2007 15:08:34
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  14:48:04  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

If a neutral cleric chooses to channel negative energy, does his deities symbol look just like a cleric who channels positive energy or is it an unholy symbol. Could a positive channeler of Sarvas upon sight know a negative channeler of Sarvas by seeing symbol?

An Imaskari outside of the Seal in 1372 would have how much knowledge of the New Mystra, ToT, Pantheons that didn't exist before fall of Imaskari?

Edited by - createvmind on 03 Apr 2007 14:52:36
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  15:01:14  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I don't quite see how any man could relax with THO around, let alone Ed..

*coughs* Anyway! Hello again Ed and THO. I've got a couple of questions.

1: Have there been any famous emancipation movements, in regards to slavery in the Realms.

2: Are there any genetic disorders that arise from breeding between the various races, and how are they treat?

Thanks in advance for anything you can share with us.

Question 1 - I think Thayvians were once slaves in the distant past, as well as the whole Unther/Mulhorand (sp) deal. Both were pretty big emancipation movements.
Then there was the genies in what is now Calimshan who I think were overthrown by their human slaves. Gnomes were slaves in Nethril until the elves pressed for their freedom which is talked about here http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20010829f
...I'll think of some others

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 03 Apr 2007 16:59:18
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  20:12:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
My lady, I have fired off another email at you.

A quick question, that hopefully you can answer without going to Ed. Has his workload subsided to the point we might soon see Border Kingdoms and Waterdeep News articles again? It's hard to say which of those series I enjoyed more, though I do really want more info on the various realms of the Border Kingdoms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  21:07:56  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
So saith Ed. Who in the past referred several TSR designers to real-world photos in popular library reference books, to see the “look” of various locales in the Realms. A much harder thing to do today, when so many libraries have such paltry and more-diversely-sourced reference collections.
Greg Stafford wrote notes for the Reader's Digest book Natural Wonders of the World linking its photographs to places in Glorantha. There may be another book, or an online gallery of landscape photography or painting, that could be used to illustrate the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  21:18:41  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

THO wrote: "However, please don’t expect Ed to reply to each and every question in a multi-query post at the same time. Some easy answers (like this one, above) will be dealt with swiftly, and others may wait years (so neither Ed nor I have “forgotten” the questions in your two posts that aren’t answered in THIS post, and Ed will get to them, in the fullness of time)."

I have read through all the previous Ask Ed years and understand. A lot of the time, I won't expect answers to my questions due to understanding of the business arraingements that Ed made. I am just thankful to have a chance at getting my questions answered especially with "fluff" that seemingly got cut from supplements. Just stick to the diet, your words has been around my entire gaming career (all 20+ years) and it would be "less" having you around. Kind of like when Jim Henson died, the sun felt a little sadder.

(snip)

As I discovered (to my great surprise) when I looked over kuje's compiled Ed answers for 2004 and 2005, Ed's answers to our question are roughly equivalent to a full-length book ... every year.
If Ed wrote that book instead of answering us, he'd be the richer (in cash) and we'd be the poorer (in knowledge), so ...

ALL HAIL ED OF THE GREEN WOOD!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  22:31:36  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
HEAR HEAR!!!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  02:00:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Indeed. Ed is very generous, and I hope we don't collectively burn him out. I ask him about that from time to time, and he always says he doesn't mind in the slightest, but I wonder, sometimes, if it's because I'm crawling all over him, asking him.
Wooly, I hope you have your reply e-mail from me, by now. And no, I'm afraid Ed isn't QUITE out of the woods yet, to clear his keyboard enough to furnish new columns. He has family descending on him (for an Easter visit), has just plotted a short story and a novella for two separate anthologies, and is starting his taxes. He just finished proofing (proofreading) two of the three novels he'll have published this year, and is starting on another novel, a game sourcebook, and his second serialized Castlemourn story for GAME TRADE magazine. He just prepared the budget for the local library board he chairs, and of course continues in the day job, too, and is currently reading "about twelve books a week" for judging the World Fantasy Awards. So the platter isn't staggering, but isn't near-empty yet, either.
The fun will begin again later this year, Ed tells me, when he'll be writing the NEXT three novels all at once (Knights 3, Niflheim 2 for Tor, and Falconfar 2 for Black Library/Solaris).
By the way, has anyone seen a "hard print copy" of the Castlemourn campaign setting, yet?
Now, to the Realmslore reply for this day . . .
Ed hath heard the pleas of Kazzaroth, but mutters in my ear that there are reasons those older questions can’t be properly answered yet. He did, however, entertain a few of the new ones (again, the others aren’t dismissed; they join the ever-growing pile), to whit: “How do wizards/sorcerers in general in the Realms view powerful bards who can cast fairly powerful bardic spells? What do commoners think about a bard who can literally crumble a castle with high vocaled singing or create powerful mind affecting spells/abilities? Would the bard still be viewed as a ‘entertaining minstrel’ or would their repute as casters (note; not as performers but as casters) scare potential performer patrons off?
Also I have wondered is bards’ singing (basically bardic music feature use) somehow related to Weave? Meaning that does Weave ‘sing’ to the bards and does Weave have some sort voice or musical element (which can be heard only by those who are deeply attuned to the Weave, perhaps including experienced/powerful bards) what bards are exploiting when they cast bard spells?
I have read that times when spellfire or high magic rituals (or other sort powerful spellcasting nearby) have been used, some fellow arcane casters and Chosen of Mystra have sensed disturbance in the Weave and it had sometimes described like someone is playing harp off tune or someone is playing a harp well. I wonder, is that a metaphor or do Chosen of Mystra really ‘hear’ the disturbance of the Weave?”
Ed replies:

There’s no general attitude towards bards on the part of wizards or sorcerers; some individuals have prejudices, but part of my creating an ever-expanding infinity of spells, spell processes, confusion about magic, alternative systems of magic, and so on, is to keep magic in the Realms as it should be: a vast, mysterious field full of wonder, beyond any one mortal’s comprehension, so there’s “always something new,” and so that if you see a spell being cast and make an assumption about the caster level of its source, it’s just that: an assumption, and not a certainty. I want to keep “elbow room” for DMs and Realms fiction writers (and yes, obviously this is at odds with game design, and its need for specifics).
So, WISE wielders of magic respect everyone else, because you never know when yonder patched-elbows minstrel will smash down a wall with a Great Shout or a plucked harp - - just as you never know when that little bird (or tavern doxy, kneeling nearly-nude at your feet looking up hopefully and trying to negotiate a good price for her charms) will turn out to be The Simbul in disguise, and with her temper growing short. :}
Commoners tend not to fear powerful bards overmuch unless that particular person caused a great calamity or much destruction in their community or that they personally witnessed, in the past. Why? Well, EVERY bard and most minstrels have all sorts of wild tales told about them (that they caused this ruler’s haughty wife to disrobe and dance for them with their “obviously magical” singing, or blasted their way out of a castle dungeon by destroying most of the castle with a sung spell or “magical chord” on their lute, or that they broke a harp string deliberately and caused every sword - - or swordarm - - in a room to snap like a twig), and so people stop believing such chatter, except as juicy entertainment, until they see proof with their own eyes. And the bards and minstrels are the television, rock concerts, and latest news reports of the Realms, all rolled into one; people in isolated or rural areas hunger to see and hear them. So the “scaring off” you mention does happen, yes (particularly in a castle or town preparing for war, when a ruler fears that a bard or minstrel might be an agent for the enemy, arrived to do mischief), but is rare.
The Weave is just one mortal conception of all the magic, all over the Realms, and “magic” is really “natural forces, and ways we can call on them.” So yes, bardic singing and playing that has magical effects is calling on ever-flowing, mainly invisible natural forces that are at work in the Realms and are integral to the world, but such bardic activity “accesses the Weave” in a different manner than, say, the spells of wizards. The Weave is a way of seeing and talking about natural forces and their patterns, and the Weave IS the goddess Mystra.
Some bards, and other individuals who are sorcerers or wizards (or for that matter, cobblers or shepherds), can “hear” the Weave in their heads, but it’s rare for anyone to hear the Weave aloud - - and such occasions are almost always discordant janglings caused when something “goes wrong” or great power is suddenly unleashed. So, yes, some individuals may believe the Weave sings to them, and may be inspired by what they “hear.”
More often, the Weave (the flow of natural forces, remember) is felt rather than heard. (A vibration in one’s bones or teeth or entire body, like deep organ notes too low in pitch to hear, but that resonate through one.) This is how most spellcasters and all Chosen of Mystra perceive “disturbances in the Weave” (or, if one prefers, sudden dramatic surges or shifts in the everpresent flows of natural forces). So they “really feel it” more than they “really hear it,” but no, it’s not just a metaphor.

So saith Ed. Creator (though not namer; that would be longtime Realms editor and designer Julia Martin) of the Weave.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 04 Apr 2007 15:02:19
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  02:37:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

but I wonder, sometimes, if it's because I'm crawling all over him, asking him.

What person could possibly mind such a thing? Hell, where do I sign up for such treatment?

quote:

Wooly, I hope you have your reply e-mail from me, by now.

Indeed! Thanks to both of you -- I quite appreciate it.

quote:

And no, I'm afraid Ed isn't QUITE out of the woods yet, to clear his keyboard enough to furnish new columns. He has family descending on him, has just plotted a short story and a novella for two separate anthologies, and is starting his taxes. He just finished proofing (proofreading) two of the three novels he'll have published this year, and is starting on another novel, a game sourcebook, and his second serialized Castlemourn story for GAME TRADE magazine. He just prepared the budget for the local library board he chairs, and of course continues in the day job, too, and is currently reading "about twelve books a week" for judging the World Fantasy Awards. So the platter isn't staggering, but isn't near-empty yet, either.

Well, I was hoping it would be soon, but I guess not. I'll be waiting, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  02:46:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

By the way, has anyone seen a "hard print copy" of the Castlemourn campaign setting, yet?
There was some chatter over at EN World last week from a few members who claimed to have seen and purchased hard copies of the Castlemourn campaign setting. I've not heard anything since, however... at least from them.

Australian RPG stockists are still suggesting it is "coming soon" with no definitive release date.

quote:
The fun will begin later this year, Ed tells me, when he'll be writing the NEXT three novels all at once (Knights 3, Niflheim 2 for Tor, and Falconfar 2 for Black Library/Solaris).
"Black Library" you say... I'm curious my Lady, could Ed possibly share any tidbits about this particular work?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  03:27:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Isn't the Black Library associated with the Warhammer setting?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  04:07:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
There are two 'Black Library' groups that I am aware of.

The one you're referring to is largely responsible for publishing novels and fiction for the WARHAMMER/WARHAMMER 40K settings.

I'm not sure which Ed's involved with, though given the 'Solaris' mention as well, I'm assuming his novel is for the 'Black Library/Solaris' group of Black Industries, which does publish both WARHAMMER/WH40K fiction and sci-fi/dark fantasy novels.

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Apr 2007 04:08:26
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  09:35:56  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

There are two 'Black Library' groups that I am aware of.

The one you're referring to is largely responsible for publishing novels and fiction for the WARHAMMER/WARHAMMER 40K settings.

I'm not sure which Ed's involved with, though given the 'Solaris' mention as well, I'm assuming his novel is for the 'Black Library/Solaris' group of Black Industries, which does publish both WARHAMMER/WH40K fiction and sci-fi/dark fantasy novels.

Well met

Aye this is certainly intriguing. Black Library have started to take in WotC authors for Warhammer novels of late (Richard Lee Byers has The Enemy Within due out in the next few months). Solaris is more of a mixed bag of genres and styles.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  13:07:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Aye... I neglected to mention that 'Solaris', along with being responsible for sci-fi/dark fantasy novels mostly, also occasionally publish fantasy tales as well.

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Apr 2007 13:11:33
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  14:57:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I'm not sure how much Ed is "cleared" to say about this trilogy right now, but if you surf to:

http://www.solarisbooks.com/books/dark-lord/dark-lord.asp

. . . you can read a little about DARK LORD, the first book (due out September 07), vital stats:
hardcover, ISBN 13: 978-1-84416-519-3 and ISBN 10:
1-84416-519-1
I know Ed has turned in the final draft of the MS.
Elsewhere on this same site, there's a press release announcing the purchase of the entire trilogy.
I'll see what additional info I can careXXX ah, cajole out of Ed.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 04 Apr 2007 15:00:04
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  16:59:54  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
"Dark Lord", awesome !

Here's another landscape picture. It's not from Wikipedia, but a French fan-site where they have shot some very impressive LARP-style photos out in the wilderness.

http://tuatha.club.fr/En.marge/Eagle%20sight.jpg

The site BTW is http://tuatha.club.fr/En.marge.htm

Edited by - RodOdom on 04 Apr 2007 17:02:51
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  17:22:22  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message
Nice Picture Rod0dom :-)
I also use that kind of pictures when my players are going to new places. I'm not sure exactly why but the picture (first link) let me think more to Maztica than to Faerün (not jungle ofcourse :p)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  17:46:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

I'm not sure how much Ed is "cleared" to say about this trilogy right now, but if you surf to:

http://www.solarisbooks.com/books/dark-lord/dark-lord.asp

. . . you can read a little about DARK LORD, the first book (due out September 07), vital stats:
hardcover, ISBN 13: 978-1-84416-519-3 and ISBN 10:
1-84416-519-1
I know Ed has turned in the final draft of the MS.
Elsewhere on this same site, there's a press release announcing the purchase of the entire trilogy.
I'll see what additional info I can careXXX ah, cajole out of Ed.
love to all,
THO

Very cool premise!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  17:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
What a wonderful cover and a neat synopsis. Sounds like a great story.

With a late September release, though, it looks like there aren't going to be copies in time for GenCon. Guess I'll have to hound Ed for a signature at a later date. (He doesn't visit Seattle much, does he?)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  23:50:11  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by boddynock

Nice Picture Rod0dom :-)
I also use that kind of pictures when my players are going to new places. I'm not sure exactly why but the picture (first link) let me think more to Maztica than to Faerün (not jungle ofcourse :p)

The first picture is from somewhere in the highlands of Wales, Britain. So it wouldn't surprise me if it has some similarities to some Andean valleys.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 72 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000