Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Write ups for WOTC Mid 2007 range
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  11:29:34  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Knightfall1972 made this find over at Enworld

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=181079

Including the write up for Scouring of the weave

Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land
A Forgotten Realms Supplement
Richard Baker, Eric L. Boyd, Thomas M. Reid

Elminster’s tower lies in ruins, and the town of Shadowdale has been conquered by evil Sharrans and the nefarious forces of Zhentil Keep. To drive the villains out of Shadowdale, the heroes must organize and lead a desperate revolt of Dalesfolk against their conquerors, as well as thwart the sinister designs of Shar’s servants and the Zhent garrison.

Shadowdale: The Weave Unwinding is the second part of a three-part series of 160-page hardcover super-adventures set in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, although it can be easily played as a stand-alone adventure. In addition to encounters, this book contains detailed source material on the town of Shadowdale and environs

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  12:21:47  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wauuu great looking forward to the new Shadowdale: The Weave Unwinding

This seem interesting : Shadowdale: The Weave Unwinding

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 22 Nov 2006 12:24:04
Go to Top of Page

Keravin
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  12:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Keravin's Homepage Send Keravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because it's Shadowdale I'm less interested as I never want to run a game set around there again.

The Eberron book on the other hand looks great.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  13:14:57  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good...the timeline being moved forward through adventures.

I just hope that the events will be considered in the novels...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  13:39:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious as to what happens to Elminster...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  14:36:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like another event I'll have to ignore. Sigh.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  14:42:06  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering what we learned about the shades and Prince Rivalen in particular in Paul Kemp's Shadowbred, I wouldn't be surprised if the shades had something to do with the destruction of Elminster's tower.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  14:47:18  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ed talked about some Elminster BIG mistake at GenCon...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  14:51:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Indeed.

I'd like to know a little more on this...

As for the details themselves... I'm going to have to agree with Kuje on this. It's likely this event won't feature in my FR.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  14:53:08  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I hope not. I can't really say much now, obviously, but I think this adventure could be used at almost any point in the timeline.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  14:57:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

I hope not. I can't really say much now, obviously, but I think this adventure could be used at almost any point in the timeline.

--Eric

Nod.... just the whole concept, just bothers me. Ah well.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  15:06:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

--Eric

Even so, I can't say the concept itself appeals to me.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  15:31:33  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mind the idea that much, not that El bothers me or anything, it's just that it seems logical that sooner or later someone would succeed with conquering Shadowdale... I'll see what the series is like and prolly use it only as a backdrop...unless Tearing of the Weave can also be played with higher level characters.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  15:44:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I've opened a scroll in the "WotC News" section for discussion regarding the other D&D products listed in the EN World thread Dargoth linked to above.

You can find it here:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8267

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  20:57:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm Amazon have Expedition to Undermountain listed as a June release but theres no sign of it on the WOTC product page.....

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  21:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

--Eric

Nod.... just the whole concept, just bothers me. Ah well.

Ditto. It doesn't help that this seems to be coming right on the tail of another "shake it up and destroy it!" story arc.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  22:01:34  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not involved in writing these, but I think you should give it a chance. Some really cool stuff is happening with these books.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  22:14:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

I'm not involved in writing these, but I think you should give it a chance. Some really cool stuff is happening with these books.

I'm curious enough to check this out, sure, but so far the little promo hasn't left a good impression on me.

And it doesn't help that the product seems to have two titles: "The Scouring of the Land" and "The Weave Unwinding". And the silly term "super-adventure".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  22:26:09  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I can make a suggestion to the writers and editors up at Wizards. Please include a "story thus far" introduction at the start of upcoming RSE products like "Scouring". I love Realmslore, but I have a hard time keeping track of the continuity between the recent trilogies. In the games I ran recently I just ignored all these events to make things simpler and more enjoyable. However, some official material that tells me which how RSE events (Archwizards, Rage, Last Mythal, Blackstaff, etc.) would affect the use of a particular module or setting would make it a lot easier for me to use new products.

Edited by - RodOdom on 22 Nov 2006 22:29:03
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  22:36:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, I'm quite willing to give these books a chance. I'm just curious about the two-title thing, and I'm hoping it's a big adventure that isn't an RSE. I've nothing against RSEs, but we have had an awful lot of them in a short amount of time.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  22:46:02  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh, I'm quite willing to give these books a chance. I'm just curious about the two-title thing, and I'm hoping it's a big adventure that isn't an RSE. I've nothing against RSEs, but we have had an awful lot of them in a short amount of time.

Concurs. And I just don't really like the idea of El's tower being destroyed. Maybe it's just me, but I like the way the toys are arranged in the sandbox as it it. There's still plenty for me to play with without knocking half of them over. That said, I'm not opposed to somebody taking Shadowdale, it's not invincible. I'm certainly curious to see what happens though, and both Eytan and Eric have said it sounds good.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  23:22:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have to say Im not real impressed with the line up for the FR in 2007

Out of the 3 announced products Im really only interested in Expedition to Undermountain and considering the last FR book for 2007 is likely to be part 3 of the super adventures trilogy its going to ben 1 out of 4.

3 Super adventures and no regional sources books is just ridiculous Im seriously left wondering whether the head of the FR department is Bipolar the realms has swung from a NO modules policy to a NOTHING BUT MODULES policy

Assuming we got 5 products a year the split should be this

1x General realms source book
1x City Regional source book (ie Like CoS)
1x Normal regional source book
1x Super Module
1x 32-92 page mini module

Plus 3-4 FR modules each year in Dungeon

The current policy is nuts

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  23:45:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Concurs. And I just don't really like the idea of El's tower being destroyed. Maybe it's just me, but I like the way the toys are arranged in the sandbox as it it. There's still plenty for me to play with without knocking half of them over.

I feel the exact same way.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  00:23:56  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Concurs. And I just don't really like the idea of El's tower being destroyed. Maybe it's just me, but I like the way the toys are arranged in the sandbox as it it. There's still plenty for me to play with without knocking half of them over.

I feel the exact same way.

I don't have a problem with it as long as it's the last "shadow dale attack" published ever

I would prefer that El be kept alive and that he stay in Shadowdale at the end also.

Edited by - Skeptic on 23 Nov 2006 00:25:47
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  00:25:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm more than willing to give the accessory itself a chance, though I still feel that the concept itself will ultimately be somewhat unappealing for my FR. I like Elminster and Shadowdale, and by extension, the Dalelands, the way they are.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  00:30:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
... and both Eytan and Eric have said it sounds good.

Eytan did. Just to be clear, I can't really say it "sounds good" as I wrote the majority of it.

I also can't talk about it yet. Sorry. However, I do hope that fans of the Realms will be happy. We did our best to create a cool Realms adventure that could be used in a variety of ways (at various points in time and for various campaign reasons) that was very faithful to existing Realmslore, obscure and well-known.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  02:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like Zhentil Keep is no longer the push-over it has been in the past. Personally I'm excited to see how this plays out.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000