Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Other WotC products for 2007
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  15:44:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Expanding on Dargoth's earlier scroll about the FR releases for mid-2007:-

quote:
Complete Champion
D&D Rules Supplement
Ed Stark, Chris Thomasson, Rhiannon Louve, Ari Marmell

New options for heroes with a divine cause.

Complete Champion focuses on the divine champion archetype and provides new rules options for characters who enjoy battling for a cause, defeating foes using divine power, and going on quests that mean more than simply defeating the bad guy and grabbing the treasure. This book also helps Dungeon Masters run quest-themed campaigns and adventures.

In addition to providing various archetypes for characters, Complete Champion includes new feats and prestige classes. The book features dozens of deity- and belief-themed organizations, turning religion and holy (or unholy) power into something characters of all classes can use. For the Dungeon Master, this book contains information on constructing and running quests and holy missions. It assists the DM in helping all characters in the party to pursue divine paths simultaneously.

Item Code 955647200
Release Date June 2007
Format Hardcover
Page Count 160
ISBN 978-0-7869-4034-9
Price $29.95; C$37.95
--------------------

D&D Dungeon Tiles IV: Ruins of the Wild
Bruce R. Cordell

Your tabletop never looked better! These Dungeon Tiles are the third in a new series of dungeon-building aids for Dungeon Masters. With D&D Miniatures and this pack of customizable dungeon grids, you can add a new dimension to your D&D adventures. Easy to set up and infinitely expandable, this pack allows you to create the dungeons and adventures you want to play. Future sets will allow players to create larger, more elaborate dungeons!

This pack contains six durable, double-sided, four color illustrated dungeon grids, featuring rooms, corridors, and passages of various sizes, plus doors, walls, and other terrain elements that you can use to make great D&D encounters that enhance your roleplaying game experience.

Item Code 215287400
Release Date May 2007
Format Trade Paperback
ISBN 978-0-7869-4708-9
Price $9.95; C$12.95
--------------------

Drow of the Underdark
D&D Rules Supplement
Ari Marmell, Anthony Pryor, Robert J. Schwalb, Greg A. Vaughan

The essential guide to drow characters and drow society.

At last, dark elves get their due! Drow of the Underdark is a 224-page Dungeons & Dragons supplement that provides the definitive treatise on the drow, arguably the D&D game’s most evocative evil race. Everything you want to know about drow and their subterranean homeland—as well as some things you didn’t know—can be found in this tome. This supplement is intended for players who want to play drow characters and Dungeon Masters who want to run D&D adventures and campaigns featuring drow.

Item Code 957267200
Release Date May 2007
Format Hardcover
Page Count 224
ISBN 978-0-7869-4151-3
Price $34.95; C$44.00
--------------------

Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk
D&D Adventure
Jason Bulmahn, James Jacobs, Erik Mona

A Dungeons & Dragons super-adventure for characters of levels 8–13

Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk is a 224-page D&D super-adventure that revisits Castle Greyhawk and the classic dungeon beneath. This adventure is usable as a mini-campaign on its own, a story arc in a Dungeon Master’s regular campaign, or as a series of small side adventures with a big payoff. Like other adventures in the “Expedition” series, this product takes a classic Dungeons & Dragons location, updates it for D&D v.3.5, and incorporates many new twists and surprises. This adventure also includes useful source material for the players and a combat encounter format designed to make the DM’s job easier.

Item Code 109257200
Release Date August 2007
Format Hardcover
Page Count 224
ISBN 978-0-7869-4358-6
Price $34.95; C$46.95
--------------------

Monster Manual V
D&D Rules Supplement

New monsters ideal for any Dungeons & Dragons game.

Monster Manual V is the most recent volume in the best-selling Monster Manual line. This 224-page D&D supplement presents a fully illustrated horde of new monsters, as well as ready-to-play variations of previously existing monsters. In addition, this supplement features maps of monster lairs, sample encounters, and tactics sections to help Dungeon Masters run the more complex creatures. Additionally, many entries contain information about where monsters are likely to appear in the Forgotten Realms and Eberron campaign settings.

Item Code 956817200
Release Date July 2007
Format Hardcover
Page Count 224
ISBN 978-0-7869-4115-5
Price $34.95; C$44.00
--------------------

Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land
A Forgotten Realms Supplement
Richard Baker, Eric L. Boyd, Thomas M. Reid

Elminster’s tower lies in ruins, and the town of Shadowdale has been conquered by evil Sharrans and the nefarious forces of Zhentil Keep. To drive the villains out of Shadowdale, the heroes must organize and lead a desperate revolt of Dalesfolk against their conquerors, as well as thwart the sinister designs of Shar’s servants and the Zhent garrison.

Shadowdale: The Weave Unwinding is the second part of a three-part series of 160-page hardcover super-adventures set in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, although it can be easily played as a stand-alone adventure. In addition to encounters, this book contains detailed source material on the town of Shadowdale and environs.

Item Code 955697200
Release Date July 2007
Format Hardcover
Page Count 160
ISBN 978-0-7869-4039-4
Price $29.95; C$37.95
--------------------

The Forge of War
Eberron Campaign Supplement
James Wyatt, Wolfgang Baur, Ari Marmell

Secrets of the Last War revealed, plus new character options for war-torn heroes!

Explore the battles, campaigns, and heroes of the Last War with this richly detailed 160-page Eberron supplement. Add historical detail to campaigns set in Eberron’s present day, or send adventurers hurtling through time to avert the disaster of the Day of Mourning! The Forge of War includes a comprehensive outline of the course of the war, extensive new character options for war-torn heroes, a variety of campaign options, and detailed descriptions of military forces, fortresses, and battlefields.

Item Code 957287200
Release Date June 2007
Format Hardcover
Page Count 160
ISBN 978-0-7869-4153-7
Price $29.95; C$37.95
--------------------

The Sinister Spire
D&D Adventure
Bruce R. Cordell and Ari Marmell

The second adventure in a three-part series of core Dungeons & Dragons adventures.

DD2 The Sinister Spire is the second adventure of a three-part series, but it can also be played as a stand-alone adventure. In the first adventure, DD1 Barrow of the Forgotten King, the heroes stumbled upon an evil plot involving the theft of ancient bones from a king’s tomb. In The Sinister Spire, the heroes chase the tomb-robbers into the Underdark and stumble upon a desolated subterranean city with a dark secret.

This 64-page adventure is designed for 4th-level characters and uses a combat encounter format designed to make the DM’s job easier.

Item Code 107977400
Release Date July 2007
Format Trade Paperback
Page Count 64
ISBN 978-0-7869-4357-9
Price $19.95; C$24.95

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  16:04:21  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Elminster’s tower lies in ruins, and the town of Shadowdale has been conquered by evil Sharrans and the nefarious forces of Zhentil Keep. To drive the villains out of Shadowdale, the heroes must organize and lead a desperate revolt of Dalesfolk against their conquerors, as well as thwart the sinister designs of Shar’s servants and the Zhent garrison.

Shadowdale: The Weave Unwinding is the second part of a three-part series of 160-page hardcover super-adventures set in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, although it can be easily played as a stand-alone adventure. In addition to encounters, this book contains detailed source material on the town of Shadowdale and environs.

Item Code 955697200
Release Date July 2007
Format Hardcover
Page Count 160
ISBN 978-0-7869-4039-4
Price $29.95; C$37.95
--------------------

I'm speechless...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  18:06:01  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This had better be executed immaculately -- nothing at all like the sensationalistic promo copy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  18:07:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Drow of the Underdark
D&D Rules Supplement

At last, dark elves get their due! Drow of the Underdark is a 224-page Dungeons & Dragons supplement that provides the definitive treatise on the drow, arguably the D&D game’s most evocative evil race. Everything you want to know about drow and their subterranean homeland—as well as some things you didn’t know—can be found in this tome. This supplement is intended for players who want to play drow characters and Dungeon Masters who want to run D&D adventures and campaigns featuring drow.

At last? We've two sourcebooks on the Underdark, a boxed set covering a drow city, a sourcebook covering drow, and countless novels, and they've not yet gotten their due? What is left for them to cover?

Ahem...

Complete Champion I may get this one on the cheap, if only because I've got all but one of the other ones, and there is the occasional nifty thing in these books.

D&D Dungeon Tiles IV: Ruins of the Wild If I was DM'ing, I'd be interested in these. I've heard good things about them. But I've not played in years, much less DM'ed...

Drow of the Underdark If I get this one, it will only be on the cheap. I like drow, and I'd like to see more ways to make them scary. But, as I said above, we've already got a lot of material to choose from...

Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk I've heard good things about Castle Greyhawk, so I'll likely get this one.

Monster Manual V Gotta get my critters!

Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land What's with the two different names? This one is a must-buy for me. I'm really curious as to how this one plays out. While I do hope to see some changes, I'm hoping this isn't another RSE.

The Forge of War My interest in this setting is quite limited. I don't see a reason to buy this one.

The Sinister Spire No interest.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  18:15:51  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any race could easily support a sourcebook of that size -- in the context of a detailed setting. Drow lore and rules toys that may not apply to any given setting, and is therefore likely to be forgotten with the next edition, written by people whose work I haven't (yet?) come to value much, don't appeal to me.

The Weave Unwinding not an RSE? The best we can hope is that, not being a whim of the old books department, it will make a little more sense. I'll certainly get it, but mainly because it's the nearest we'll get to a Dales sourcebook for a while.

But putting this out before a proper Dales sourcebook looks like the same mistake made with the Time of Troubles, where the Realms was shaken up before it had been published long enough for that to have meaning. Get all the people who came to the Realms since, say, 1996 (Volo's Guide to the Dalelands) to know and love the place, then threaten it.

Edited by - Faraer on 22 Nov 2006 18:16:54
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  21:56:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Drow of the Underdark
D&D Rules Supplement

At last, dark elves get their due!

*cries from laughter*

I love how WotC more or less implies that all their other drow products weren't "definitive".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 22 Nov 2006 21:57:28
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  22:01:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

This had better be executed immaculately -- nothing at all like the sensationalistic promo copy.

That's a good word for it--sensationalistic. Maybe I shouldn't judge a product on the words used to promote it, but as I've now, I'm shocked, and not in a good way. Also, the term "super-adventure" is kind of ridiculous.

And yeah, why does the product have two titles?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  22:39:02  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Drow of the Underdark

At last, dark elves get their due!

Oh really

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6652 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  22:59:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

That's a good word for it--sensationalistic. Maybe I shouldn't judge a product on the words used to promote it, but as I've now, I'm shocked, and not in a good way. Also, the term "super-adventure" is kind of ridiculous.

And yeah, why does the product have two titles?

I've known it as "The Scouring of the Land", so not sure where the "Weave Unwinding" part comes into it. This might allude however to part 3, of which I have absolutely zero information.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  23:09:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
theres another error in the new previews Dungeon tiles IV Ruins of the Wild is listed as the third Dungeon tiles product in the text

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  00:34:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

At last? We've two sourcebooks on the Underdark, a boxed set covering a drow city, a sourcebook covering drow, and countless novels, and they've not yet gotten their due? What is left for them to cover?

Ahem...
Indeed. How quickly the successive D&D "Years of the Drow" have been forgotten.

quote:
Complete Champion I may get this one on the cheap, if only because I've got all but one of the other ones, and there is the occasional nifty thing in these books.
Agreed. I'll only be picking this one up if there are options inside I may find useful, or because I've got a few extra gold pieces to spare.

quote:
D&D Dungeon Tiles IV: Ruins of the Wild If I was DM'ing, I'd be interested in these. I've heard good things about them. But I've not played in years, much less DM'ed...
I've never bothered with the "Dungeon Tiles", so I'll likely skip this one.

quote:
Drow of the Underdark If I get this one, it will only be on the cheap. I like drow, and I'd like to see more ways to make them scary. But, as I said above, we've already got a lot of material to choose from...
Which is why I'll likely continue to draw from existing 1e/2e material on the drow, on the rare occasion that I use drow in my campaigns.

quote:
Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk I've heard good things about Castle Greyhawk, so I'll likely get this one.
Indeed. And yes, I'll be picking up this one, if only because it's GH.

quote:
Monster Manual V Gotta get my critters!
Agreed.

quote:
Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land What's with the two different names? This one is a must-buy for me. I'm really curious as to how this one plays out. While I do hope to see some changes, I'm hoping this isn't another RSE.
My curiosity is tainted, somewhat, by my fears that this is laying the foundation for another RSE. Though, since this may be the closest we'll be coming to any new lore on the Dalelands themselves, I'll be picking this one up. I doubt I'll be using the concept of the acessory itself in my FR however.

quote:
The Forge of War My interest in this setting is quite limited. I don't see a reason to buy this one.
Lady K, it's your turn!

quote:
The Sinister Spire No interest.
Again, I agree.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  08:26:04  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not to be overly negative (as I usually am), but in the immortal words of many: I have a bad feeling about this.

There's not much more to interest me on that list, so it seems it will be a lean year for me when it comes to gaming products. I think I will see what the reactions to the Realms adventures are before buying them.
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  20:39:02  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well since I vowed, with the release of 3rd edition to not have any gaps in my collection like my 1st and 2nd ed stuff, I'll be buyin it all. I really should think something through before I make a vow.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  11:10:49  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowdale, Complete Champion, and the Monster Manual V are a must to me! The rest, I will expect to see.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  12:28:03  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dungeon Tiles for me, easiest way to visualize things, aside from the flip map.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  14:44:30  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
out of all of them, the only must buy for me is Shadowdale. It does not appear there will be any new classes in The Complete Champion correct?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  15:17:23  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

out of all of them, the only must buy for me is Shadowdale. It does not appear there will be any new classes in The Complete Champion correct?

There are very few supplements with no new PrC added...it's the "gotta get 'em all syndrome"

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  17:15:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I they do as they seem to be doing with the "second go round" Complete book, there won't be any more 20 level base classes, but there will likely be a handful of PrCs. In fact, if they do what they did in Complete Mage, it looks like they will try to find as many "logical" roles for the PrCs and make them based on what they don't have yet.
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  22:52:53  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First: thanks to Wooly for letting me borrow your formatting. ;)

So...

Complete Champion I’ll have to take a good look at it at my FLGS first.

D&D Dungeon Tiles IV: Ruins of the Wild Essential purchase, this. These tiles are the bomb when it comes to play. Very useful for me as a DM; especially running things on the fly like I like to do.

Drow of the Underdark Hmmm.....I dunno. Going to have to get a good look at it first.

Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk If it has good maps and traps, then I’ll pick it up. Could be an easy drop in item for Undermountain if I need.

Monster Manual V I’m liking each MM more as they come along. I was iffy about IV but have since used it much more than I thought I would. Will pick this up for sure.

Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land Sounds like a treat for me. My players just nearly shattered the mythal of Myth Drannor, but not before freeing devils into the forrest. Since then they negotiated a temporary peace agreement between Shadowdale and Azkouvon drow driven out of the wood by those same devils.

It’ll be fun to see if I can use this adventure to make things even harder for my players in Shadowdale.

The Forge of War I hope there’s good player stuff in this book for my Eberron character. Will probably pick it up.

The Sinister Spire Another ‘take a look at it at my FLGS first’ book.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  23:33:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

First: thanks to Wooly for letting me borrow your formatting. ;)

*grins* We've used that trick before, with similar lists... I was just the first to do it in this thread.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2006 :  01:12:16  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

There are very few supplements with no new PrC added...it's the "gotta get 'em all syndrome"

I meant base classes not PrCs. I don't think they're aloud to publsih anything w/o a few PrCs. However, all of the Compltetes have new base classes except it appears this one.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2006 :  03:33:08  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Complete Mage didn't have base classes and it seems the entire Complete II set will not offer any but instead elaborate on those already presented.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000