Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Iyraclea's Rise In the Great Glacier
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  03:37:50  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just wondering if there was any product that might have pinned down at what point Iyraclea became the "Queen" of the Great Glacier. Thus far I've not found the mid way point between the information in FR14 Great Glacier and the FRCS.

Thanks all.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  05:26:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Golly, KE Jr - your question just set off the realmslore flares in my noggin'. The Great Glacier! I'd always focused on it (from a geographic viewpoint) in the area of Vaasa, Damara and Narfell. However, prior to the Year of Spreading Spring, it likely encompassed areas like the Tortured Lands (north of the Moonsea), even more of the High Ice of Anauroch and mayhap more of the 'gaps' in the Spine of the World. Hence, when Iyraclea beat up on Myth Ondath (a place that I want to revisit to iron out some inconsistencies) - as showcased in the "Cormanthyr" accessory - she was likely the "Queen" of a far bigger Great Glacier. My short answer to you would be 'centuries'. And just where did she come from - and why is the word "Narfell" now illuminated in neon in that aforementioned noggin' ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  01:31:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I'm reading the Ruin right now, which features Iyraclea, and the book mentions (through Sammaster) that the Ice Queen was originally from Halruaa, and also that she was about three hundred years old when she told by Auril that she is to establish herself as the tyrant of the Great Glacier. No dates are given here. However, in her dialogue with Sammaster (on page 98), she defensively explains why she hasn't had that much success in conquering the surrounding lands: "I've only been here a few years. I simply need more time." Sammaster also points out that it's taken her over a decade just to grab hold of a portion of the underpopulated wilderness.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 21 Nov 2006 01:33:34
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  02:07:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there goes that theory. It was fun while it lasted. From Halruaa, eh? That presents ... possibilities.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  02:25:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whew . . . I feel better now. When you started alluding to said things George, I though I had REALLY missed some references. I wasn't imediately associating Iyraclea as THE Ice Queen, since she was mentioned as being a lich in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, and I got the impression that Iyraclea was very much a living woman. Then again, maybe her long life convinced some that she was a lich.

The reference in The Ruin seemed to indicate that she had indeed just started her domination of the Great Glacier, so I had assumed that perhaps she was following in the footsteps of the original? Perhaps Auril is fixated on having a powerful priestess use the Great Glacier as the seat of power for an empire of ice?

Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  02:27:07  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot that particular part in the book, also. Good memory, Rinonalyrna!

I was looking at the Epic level book on a little free time earlier, and it just stats her, and nothing on her history. I can't think of anywhere else that hasn't already been mentioned were she is. Still, the stuff from the Ruin may be the ebst source.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  03:48:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

Thank you.

As for Iyraclea's long life--it is strongly implied that her long life was thanks to Auril, who was investing power in her to create an empire of ice. That goes without saying, since Iyraclea is an agent of Auril...the goddess who would love nothing more than to have all of Faerun covered in ice.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  20:37:44  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... off-topic here, perhaps, but does anyone remember Ed referring to ruined cities buried under the Great Glacier? Or was is the High Ice? I wonder if these were giant cities, or remnants of another culture?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  18:28:20  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

I was looking at the Epic level book on a little free time earlier, and it just stats her, and nothing on her history. I can't think of anywhere else that hasn't already been mentioned were she is. Still, the stuff from the Ruin may be the ebst source.

1. Iyraclea [Cleric/Divine Disciple/Hierophant 15/5/5 of Auril] [deceased] (FRCS p110) (ELH p302-304) (Ruin p2-3,10,105,121-133)
a. Developed epic level spells (FRCS p110) (ELH p303-304)
b. Spell-snatches young mages from Sossal, Vaasa, and Damara for unknown but sinister purpose (FRCS p110) (ELH p303)
c. Has castle of sculpted ice (FRCS p110)
d. Relentlessly assaults the people of Sossal (ELH p303) can affect weather on a large scale, cursed Sossal with a fierce premature winter preceding War in 1373 (Ruin p105)
e. Served by gelugons (ELH p303)
2. Ice Queen [lich – Iyraclea?] (VGM p107)
3. Vrandak the Burnished [lich] (VGM p107)
4. Icy Claws of Iyraclea (FRCS p110) (ELH p303)
a. Gelugons (FRCS p110)

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  18:31:58  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for digging up all the information for us Coach.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  18:36:18  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Hmmm... off-topic here, perhaps, but does anyone remember Ed referring to ruined cities buried under the Great Glacier? Or was is the High Ice? I wonder if these were giant cities, or remnants of another culture?

the ancient giant Kingdom of Ostoria's capital city is now buried under the GG

and the Perilous Portals web-module can be found on the wizards site, describes a buried city

Novularond also has "Lost Cities" in the mountain range

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  06:27:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I theorized a long time ago (on the WotC boards, I believe), that Iryaclea was something else entirely - a unique being know as an 'Ice Lich', because of certain powers/defenses that Auril had bestowed upon her.

Basically, she is ice-cold, so many believe her to be undead, like a normal lich, but actually she is something in-between - a half-dead. She has many of the benefits that undead have, without the usual penalties (although perhaps a priest of Kossuth could turn her).

In my game, her metabolic functions have been slowed down so greatly that her heart only beats several times a day (this slow-down effects degenerative processes, but not her motor functions or cognitive abilites).

Anyhow, thats how I marry the various lore about her together - none of it is entirely accurate, but none of it is entirely wrong either.

Oh, and Krash... couldn't she have been Narfellian and fled the great Conflageration south - following in the footsteps of the Netherease? Or maybe she was from Narfell and was captured by Netherease for study, and when they fled from the fall of Netheril they put her in suspended animation and took her along - on ice, if you will...

And with the founding of Halruaa she was locked away in some forgotten storage area, only to be released centuries later by adventurers who disturbed her resting place.

Now you have her connection to the Demon-lands, and can still have her from Halruaa, and you get the added bonus of establishing why she attracted Auril's notice - she was frozen for centuries.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  06:37:55  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is why we've missed you around here, MT... your lorecrafting is brilliant! I'll definitely be using this.

Edit: GK: Can you elaborate on those "inconsistencies" at this point?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 02 May 2010 06:38:55
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  07:49:00  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So...that would make her Captain America?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  13:24:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

This is why we've missed you around here, MT... your lorecrafting is brilliant! I'll definitely be using this.

Edit: GK: Can you elaborate on those "inconsistencies" at this point?

Well, the inconsistencies stem simply from how an ancient city of the elves (Yrlaancel, the City of Peace founded in -8130 DR) can in 351 DR become Ondathel, "Eldath's" City of Peace. How does an elven city turn to the worship of a human god? How does an ancient elven city welcome Netherese refugees with open arms (VGtATM, pgs.106-107)? Was Yrlaancel in fact an elven city? If it was an ancient Netherese city, then it lasted a heck of a long time after the fall of Netheril. And how did the elven realm of Rystall Wood suffer it to exist within its borders?

I have some thoughts on the above, but they border on the heretical.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2010 :  13:49:16  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mind a little 'Heresy'...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  00:45:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If RAS can have a subterranean city buried for centuries (that no-one has any record of) suddenly show-up in the north, that shows how the Orcs and Dwarves lived in peace at one time (also something no-one has any record of), how can anything you come up with be anywhere near as... far-fetched?

And at the risk of sounding stupid, which source is VGtATM?

I'm a wee bit rusty on my sourcebook abbr.'s

The easiest way to go would to say the city was slowly abandoned by Elves and re-settled by humans - its happened several times before (Waterdeep included). The heretical way to go would be to say that the Elves either 'became' human (somehow; divine intervention?), or bread with the influx of humans until there was very little Elven blood left. Either way, I would like to read more about that city (or cities).

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

So...that would make her Captain America?

No, she would have been Captain Narfelia in that case

With her halfling sidekick, Bucky

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  03:27:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to all Things Magical...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  04:10:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Figures... the one tome I haven't read...

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  07:19:48  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Figures... the one tome I haven't read...

I just got it from Noble Knight Games.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  08:44:27  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

<snip>GK: Can you elaborate on those "inconsistencies" at this point?

Well, the inconsistencies stem simply from how an ancient city of the elves (Yrlaancel, the City of Peace founded in -8130 DR) can in 351 DR become Ondathel, "Eldath's" City of Peace. How does an elven city turn to the worship of a human god? How does an ancient elven city welcome Netherese refugees with open arms (VGtATM, pgs.106-107)? Was Yrlaancel in fact an elven city? If it was an ancient Netherese city, then it lasted a heck of a long time after the fall of Netheril. And how did the elven realm of Rystall Wood suffer it to exist within its borders?

I have some thoughts on the above, but they border on the heretical.

-- George Krashos

Now that you've posed the questions (some of which I remember asking myself when I read the lore many moons ago), I suspect that any answers that explain those points would have to be somewhat heretical... let's hear them!

Mind you, Eldath isn't exactly an enemy of the Seldarine, so it's not that big a stretch... at least imho... but I'm interested in your thoughts on the matter, particularly if they're heretical.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 03 May 2010 08:45:12
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  03:19:41  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still waiting for those heretical answers, GK... and I have a bit of information from the GHotR that (a) you're probably already aware of and (b) might make things more interesting.

quote:
–8130 DR
Yrlaancel, the City of Peace, is built within Rystall Wood.

With that founding date, it's definitely an elven city.

I'm actually bumping this scroll because I'm wondering if any scribes have a more precise location for Yrlaancel / Ondathel / Myth Ondath for the improvement of our friend HandsomeRob's already awesome map of Toril. I know it's in Rystall Wood (see quote above), a significant amount of which was swallowed by Anauroch, but I thought I remembered reading something about it being near one end (likely the east end) of the Ice Mountains, but I can't find that source now.

Edit: I was just looking at the map again, and I think the mountains I'm thinking of are the unnamed range north of Whitehorn... and I think that they have a name somewhere in established Realmslore. I believe that Yrlaancel/Myth Ondath is/was at one or the other end of that range. Again, sources elude me.

Edited by - Jakk on 12 May 2010 03:31:21
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  06:54:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well my first heretical thought has a single unifying theme. Simply, all of the "minor" demi-human deities for all of the demi-human pantheons in the Realms are aspects of human deities adopted by those demi-humans on arival. In other words, Ao was prepared to let in the deific essence of the leader of the pantheon (Corellon, Moradin etc.) to shepherd the religious requirements of that interloper race, but in return demanded that those self-same elves/dwarves etc. worship the existing deities (I won't label them all as "human" although most were) by another name so as to preserve a sort of deific status quo. So simply put, where the dwarves thought that they were worshipping Clangeddin, they were actually worshipping Tempus or Garagos or other (likely lost to sagely reckoning) god of war that had existed in Toril from the time the gods first manifested there.

I'll distill some of my other heretical thoughts further before posting them.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  07:25:14  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're right, George; that is heretical. That whole notion of racial deities not being specific to their races is something that I find deeply, violently disturbing... and it's the single biggest reason I haven't warmed up to 4E as a whole. I've happily adopted some of the rules tweaks (attack/defense opposed rolls) and even some of the story elements, at least in concept... including... the Spellplague! However, the whole idea that Talos was actually Gruumsh (etc., etc., not to mention the Tyr-Helm-Tymora fiasco) just makes me go

So... all that being said, I'm quite looking forward to your other heresies...

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  08:33:29  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Heresy.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  10:16:12  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why couldn't elves worship Eldath?
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  04:02:50  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been a bit distracted by "Project Isle" recently...

quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

Why couldn't elves worship Eldath?

In answer to your question, MrHedgehog, I see no good reason, apart from the fact that elves tend to be a bit xenophobic when it comes to religion. I'm speaking in pre-4E-divine-retcons terms here, and assuming that we're embracing the idea of racial pantheons. Eldath is similar enough in general goals, portfolio, etc. to the Seldarine that I could easily see these deities allying in order for like-minded groups of their followers to establish a city like Myth Ondath. After all, Myth Drannor was famous for being open to all races, at least until the hubris and xenophobia of the elves got the better of their ideals.

Apart from that idea, I'm still patiently waiting for more of GK's heresies... and quite interested in where they might lead us...

Edit: Included quote of last post before page break.

Edited by - Jakk on 25 May 2010 04:05:01
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  00:38:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the new Homebrew world I've been working on the past year, I establish right from the beginning that 'the gods' do not truly have a race (although they may be an ascended mortal from one... in fact.. they all are... but thats another twist...). The piece I've been writing for the mythos explains that some gods have many names and are worshipped by different groups, and that these groups don't always see the deity the same way. In fact, two groups could go to war over the differences, thinking each represents a completely different god, when in fact it is the same god with an alias and a different portfolio.

The heretical idea of mine is that gods (deities, actually - in my world there is a difference) don't really care what their worshipers think for the most part, as long as they continue to send Elan (a term I stole from the Stormbringer rules) to them. Worship = Elan = more power for the deity. Some few gods get involved with their mortal worshipers, but usually those are only the ones that are newly-come to godhood. For the most part, the deities are indifferent to the world, except when it concerns things that could tip the status quo (and reduce their power-base).

That being the case, and divine beings being what they are, they can take on any outward appearance, and could easily be reveared by different groups and races who have no clue that these 'gods' of theirs are all the same group.

And just because we have certain things 'established' with FR lore, doesn't mean it's correct. Its very easy to just say "The scholars got it WRONG". Remember, FR is one of the few settings (perhaps the only one) that is 'told' in the third person - everything we know about the Realms is told to Ed Greenwood by Elminster (although over the years this list has grown on both sides), and the folks on the Faerūnian side may have either been mistaken, or simply lied.

So the Realms, AS PRESENTED, is just Elminster's 'best guess', and not only are changes inevitable; they should be expected. Even 'The Gods' do not have all the answers - if they did, the Spellplague certainly could not have happened.

So don't be afraid to make changes to canon in your own FR - its built to do just that.

Edited by - Markustay on 29 May 2010 02:54:42
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  00:47:52  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well said...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  09:20:45  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the few ideas I like from 4e is that some of the racial gods are aliases, imagine if every race or culture on every planet has a pantheon, if there are millions of gods out there being a god doesn't feel special or unique. It works in agnostic Eberron but in the Realms where gods interfere all the time, it's hard to believe. That's why I houseruled only three types of pantheons.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  18:43:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always felt that should have been the way to go, from the very beginning, but I suppose Ed had to work within the framework of the D&D game, and a lot of his own cosmology was altered to suit the published realms.

In other words, it was firmly established that the Elves, Dwarves, etc, all had their own, seperate, gods, and it would have been too controversial to NOT have them all in FR. They somehow managed to get away with that on other worlds, but FR has been the flagship setting twice, and needed to fit the status-quo.

I have to say, I envy Eberron's ability to be free of such stereo-types and tropes.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000