Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Land of Flying Monkeys... and other stuff
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  18:02:32  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Markustay,

(and anyone else who is interested; there's a reason I didn't PM this, largely because I think the idea is too cool not to have open discussion of)

Now that you're back, I have a couple of questions for you:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

<chop>

As an aside, I have thought about using the eastern coast of the Greyhawk Map as a base, becase I love it so (and it's loaded with islands!). I wouldn't inlcude locales, just the terrain, which would allow DMs to decide whether to place GH there, or to use the geography and place their own homebrew stuff.

OT for Realms, but related to this: Does anyone know if someone has done a complete map of Oerik based on the outline map in the '96 Dragon Annual? I've found one online, but (while well done) it's not quite up to the standards of cartography I've come to expect here at Candlekeep.

Also, I'd prefer to have something with the place-names for the undetailed regions left out (because, while canon, they are all horrifically derivative... and yes, I know Zakhara, Kara-Tur and Maztica are much the same, but I like things classically (Middle-)Eastern, and I just don't talk about Maztica), just providing the bare physical geography... and that cool wall, of course.

So... MT... are you feeling up to it yet?

quote:

...As for the land of Flying Monkeys - I have an entire simian theme going on there (not that anyone in my games ever made it that far. I've got Planet-of-the-Apes style Ape cities, those Gorilla-headed men (Ape-Lords) from the Kull series, Grahluks from the Elric novels (1eDD), Monkey-birds from Pirates of Darkwaters (awesomest cartoon EVA!), Tabi (Mystara setting), etc, etc...

And every other D&D Ape-Race (there are about a dozen, including monsters), and a few homebrews, like Bat-winged Grahluks that are Fiend crossbreeds, and large beastial centaurs that look more like Gorillas attached to the bodies of Shaggy (primitive) horses.

Ohhhh... and those annoying flying Monkeys from Oz... can't do anything without them...

So... can you share more about this place? Please?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 09 May 2010 18:07:46

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  18:56:54  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that gorrila-spider is the most ridiculous monster

if Katashaka is the continent of human origin I'd suggest using races of lost human evolutionary branches, and the island isolated like Galapagos

not D&D but T'lan Imass would be cool there

Edited by - Quale on 10 May 2010 19:13:38
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  18:54:18  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OOH! I just had a wondrous thought! It would involve tossing out canon physical geography (at least, continent outlines as defined in the 3E FRCS and since), but it's worth considering...

MT: Given your love for the eastern coast of Oerik (I like it too; it takes me back to when I had just started playing AD&D, about three years before the FRCS OGB was released...), what if we toss out the continent north of Maztica, and replace it with Oerik? I'm not sure how the maps scale relative to each other, or if we'd be able to keep all of Katashaka in its canonical location, but we could see how it looks...

Anyone else? Does anyone have maps of Oerik and Faerun to scale? That "4E Plan B" map should be to scale, and I think I still have it...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 11 May 2010 18:56:11
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  01:48:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll work on that - like I said, I wanted to use Oerik for Anchorome (at least the geography anyway). I was playing with PS yesterday - boy am I rusty - but I think a re-coloring of the GH map for Anchorome might be fun and just the practice I need to get back into the swing of things.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  01:51:59  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent...

Edited by - Jakk on 21 May 2010 01:55:17
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  07:42:37  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MT,

Returning to scroll main topic...

I don't suppose you'd be willing to share your "Land of Flying Monkeys" with the rest of the Keep, would you? I've been thinking about it ever since I started working on "Project Isle" and I think it would be a great addition to the collection of "unofficial canon" of the Realms. Yes, I know that's an oxymoron.

Edited by - Jakk on 26 May 2010 07:45:14
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  00:17:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never really went beyond the initial statement I made - I imagined it to be like Planet of the Apes - the main culture there being divided into the 3 sub-groups of pacifist chimps, warlike Gorillas, and the Sage-like Orangutans. There would also be a barbarian culture of baboon-folk (I know those are written up somewhere), and most, if not all, of the normal animal species would be replaced with simian equivalents. Rodent-like Lemurs, and spider-monkey like 'flying squirrels' (extra skin from arms to legs to allow huge glider-like leaps between trees), Monkey dogs and Saber-tooth Apecats.. the whole shebang.

Even mythical races would be affected - there would be a very primitive type of Ape-centaur, shaggy and 8' tall and VERY mean. Maybe an Apeticore, or even Sea-Monkeys! (Ape-like mermen/mermaids)

At least 5 different types of 'Flying Monkeys' that I can think of off-hand, from small, annoying ones (tabi), to huge, raptor-like predators (hâpies?). Some would be bird-like, with feathers, while others would be leathery and bat-like, and some would simply be... Flying Monkeys.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  09:00:46  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Golarion they have goblin monkeys lol.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  09:18:52  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
There would also be a barbarian culture of baboon-folk (I know those are written up somewhere)

You're not thinking about the Gloranthan version here are you? I cant remember a (A)D&D version of the culture.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  18:39:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was probably thinking of Losels, which would work, as substitute for orcs in that land. But I could have sworn I saw a truer version somewhere - its been a long time since i looked through all my D&D books.

You could really go all-out and say Monkey (the god) is very protective of this land, and has placed a special magical field around the island, which reduces human IQs to about 70 and causes them to forget their past and how to speak.

Except the PCs of your party, of course, because of that special thing/blessing they have....

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  21:13:21  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I never really went beyond the initial statement I made - I imagined it to be like Planet of the Apes - the main culture there being divided into the 3 sub-groups of pacifist chimps, warlike Gorillas, and the Sage-like Orangutans. There would also be a barbarian culture of baboon-folk (I know those are written up somewhere), and most, if not all, of the normal animal species would be replaced with simian equivalents. Rodent-like Lemurs, and spider-monkey like 'flying squirrels' (extra skin from arms to legs to allow huge glider-like leaps between trees), Monkey dogs and Saber-tooth Apecats.. the whole shebang.

Even mythical races would be affected - there would be a very primitive type of Ape-centaur, shaggy and 8' tall and VERY mean. Maybe an Apeticore, or even Sea-Monkeys! (Ape-like mermen/mermaids)

At least 5 different types of 'Flying Monkeys' that I can think of off-hand, from small, annoying ones (tabi), to huge, raptor-like predators (hâpies?). Some would be bird-like, with feathers, while others would be leathery and bat-like, and some would simply be... Flying Monkeys.

Apeticore! I love it... I think I may develop this further, MT... with your permission, of course. Did you make a map for this island (physical geography) when you were pondering it, or is this scroll the sum total of all knowledge about the place now? If not, no worries... I'm thinking that the island has a large forested or jungle area, a decent mountainous region, and the rest of it is savanna plains. If you have any different thoughts regarding the geography (or, even better, a map, regardless of how basic), I'm interested in all of it.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2010 :  07:28:57  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You could really go all-out and say Monkey (the god) is very protective of this land, and has placed a special magical field around the island, which reduces human IQs to about 70 and causes them to forget their past and how to speak.

Except the PCs of your party, of course, because of that special thing/blessing they have....

I don't know about the blessing, that sounds like something that would not be a hindrance to some (short time)players I have had in the past, although they could speak. It could be a step up.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2010 :  17:29:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget about the huge 25' tall Gorilla living in a secluded valley that some natives worship as a god.

Or the (jungle) area of the island that the giant (10-12') Gorillas live in - the ones the natives refer to as Jôyungs.

Maybe the warlike Gorillamen could ride those giant Gorillas? Unless that's going too far - even in Planet of the Apes the Gorillas rode horses.

This would be the homeland for those monkey spiders of Ed's, and also a great place for Su-monsters. Also have a vulture-headed creature called a vulture-Ape (naturally) to take the place of Owlbears, and I think there were even gorilla-bears in some old MM.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2010 :  19:29:37  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MT: I found a reference (on a WoW site, oddly) to gorilla-bears being found as an instance of a template from the Tome of Horrors... I have that title in h/c, but not with me atm.

As long as the giant gorilla isn't named Jarl Karl, I like it...

Re: ape cavalry: I'm thinking that anything gorilla-sized is going to break the back of even a Clydesdale. But now you've got me pondering this, when I should be packing... I'll ponder it while I'm packing. [edit] Or not... I just realized that the ape cavalry would actually be infantry of another sort... the ape-centaurs. [/edit]

Jorkens: I take it that an IQ of 70 would not have been a reduction in those cases? I've had a couple of players like that, both as a fellow player and when I was behind the DM screen. Fortunately, I have never found any of them behind the DM screen themselves... at least, not when I was a participant in the game; I've observed a few over the years.

Edited by - Jakk on 31 May 2010 19:31:38
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  04:33:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1st edition AD&D Fiend Folio

Gorilla Bear

That crappy old artwork always makes me wax nostalgic for the early days of D&D.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  05:58:42  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember those now... and I know what you mean about the artwork... the 1E MM2 artwork was exceptional by 1E interior art standards overall, I still believe; but Jeff Easley will always be the king of (A)D&D book covers for me. I like Larry Elmore's book covers too, but his title is King of Dragon Magazine Covers.

Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  15:46:33  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the Phanaton!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  17:58:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Came across THIS yesterday while looking through all my FR files. I guess I had it in my mind to start a project like this once before - I don't think I ever posted it (probably because its was never filled-in).

I'm going to have to drop Osse a bit south to make this work, but actually that works out very well - turns out my continental outline was a bit longer then the one in the 3e FRCS, so K-T ended up a bit closer to Osse, so by dropping it south I fix that problem, as well as the one I'm having with Immoren being way too close to Alphatia (which is my 'wish setting' version of the Orgoth).

Osse needed to be further south anyway - there wasn't really enough in the southern hemisphere of Toril.

I need something to balance-out Xendrik.

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Jun 2010 23:46:45
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  17:31:24  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was probably thinking of Losels, which would work, as substitute for orcs in that land. But I could have sworn I saw a truer version somewhere - its been a long time since i looked through all my D&D books.

Will this field RISE the IQ of humanoids if their base IQ is lower than that? Oh, and do you have three headed monkeys?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2010 :  02:11:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course! Monkey-Ettins have three heads - one with no mouth, one with no eyes, and one with no ears.

And then there is the dreaded Apeclops - who is so badly near-sighted that he mistakes tied-up human Caucasian women for giant female Gorillas.

Needless to say, the women rarely survive its amorous attention.

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2010 :  04:16:32  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look, behind you, a three-headed monkey! Sorry, could not help it. Then, IQ will rise if you were incredibly dumb to specified value?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 03 Jun 2010 04:17:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000