Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 "Well Known" Realmspeak?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  08:23:40  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What follows is a list of well known, yet ill defined, Realmsian words and terms. I require additional citations and/or confirmations and/or definitions of the following 'Realmspeak':
  • “armsman” – common:- a guard (Crown of Fire and Hand of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• “bladesharp” – common:- a feeling of unease (Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• “crazed-wits” – common:- a madman or madmen (Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• “farscry” – common:- scrying from afar (Hand of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• “festhall” – common:- a brothel (Hand of Fire by Ed Greenwood; Player’s Guide to Faerϋn by Richard Baker, Travis Stout, James Wyatt)

• “high-coin” – common:- high-paying, high-paid, or expensive (Hand of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• “lackwit” – common:- a person lacking in common sense (Lands of Intrigue by Steven E. Schend; Elminster’s Ecologies Appendix I by Donald J. Bingle, Scott Davis; Volo’s Guide to the Dalelands by Ed Greenwood)

• “mage of power” – common:- a senior or experienced wizard (Spellfire and Hand of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• “mageling” – common:- a junior or inexperienced wizard (Spellfire, Crown of Fire and Hand of Fire by Ed Greenwood; Volo’s Guide to the North by Ed Greenwood)

• “painquench” – common:- healing (Hand of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• “short name” – common:- shortened version of a name, used as a nickname

• “spellwork” – common:- the result of, or something requiring, the use of magic (Silverfall by Ed Greenwood)

• “underpriest” – common:- a junior or inexperienced cleric (Spellfire and Crown of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• “upperpriest” – common:- a senior or experienced cleric (Spellfire, Crown of Fire and Hand of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• “blandreth” – common:- a three-legged, metal cooking pot (Hand of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• “great blandreth” – common:- a larger “blandreth” or cauldron that hangs by chains from a tripod (Hand of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• This is not a complete list of word/terms still in the "Vexing Me" category, but for the others I still need to do a last round (or two) of legwork before asking.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Marquant Volker
    Learned Scribe

Greece
    273 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  22:18:49  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    There is a nice article from Ed in the WotC site, about daily Dwarven

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20061018a
    Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  07:57:39  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Marquant Volker

There is a nice article from Ed in the WotC site, about daily Dwarven

Yes, and all words from that article are already included in the Glossary linked to in my signature. And, sadly, also outside the scope of what I asked.

For clarity: Do any other scribes have additional citations (I'm thinking specifically of "short name") and/or definitions (most of them) for the words in the list in the first post? Can any other scribes confirm that the definitions I have are accurate?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  08:11:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I don't have time to go through them now, but I'd already planned to sift through your list over the weekend.

I'll let you know how I go.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
    http://www.candlekeep.com
    -- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
    Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  07:59:49  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Sage

I don't have time to go through them now, but I'd already planned to sift through your list over the weekend.

I'll let you know how I go.

Was "over the weekend" meant in SageTime, or real time?

No worries though, Sage, as I planned to let this one simmer for at least a week or more, before perhaps escalating it to an "Ask Ed" question for whatever terms remained inconclusively cited, defined or confirmed.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
    Great Reader

USA
    3285 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  08:17:02  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    You know he meant Sage time...

Sorry for the derail.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
    to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
    thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
    words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
    then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
    will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
    Alaundo of Candlekeep
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  08:21:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kyrene

Was "over the weekend" meant in SageTime, or real time?
    Heh. Sage Reckoning, I believe.
    quote:
    No worries though, Sage, as I planned to let this one simmer for at least a week or more, before perhaps escalating it to an "Ask Ed" question for whatever terms remained inconclusively cited, defined or confirmed.
    I've not referenced your entire listing yet, but I have yet to discover any glaring errors with those I've looked up so far.

As for new terms you might find useful, I'm slowly compiling a listing [though, it's probably best to define that as SageTime] as I generally read through various and eclectic sources.

Progress to be updated.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  18:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Just thought to add the rest of the word/terms still in the "Vexing Me" category:

• “blurf” – Common:- ?

• “coin” – Common:- ?

• “crawhorn” – Common:- ?

• “fancy-tale” – Common:- ?

• “fielding” – Common:- ?

• “finesmith” – Common:- ?

• “handful of years, a” – Common:- ?

• “lackspell” – Common:- ?

• “light stone” – Common:- ?

• “moon-witted” – Common:- ?

• “slayknife” – Common:- ?

• “swordwork” – Common:- ? (The North by Ed Greenwood, Jeff Grubb, Julia Martin, Steven E. Schend, Paul Jaquays, Steve Perrin; The Seven Sisters by Ed Greenwood)

• “ward” – Common:- ?

• “wildblade” – Common:- a general term for an adventurer

• Most of these have no definitions or citations. I have a definition for "ward", but not relating to the magical use of the word. The two citations for "swordwork" both refer to persons being trained in "swordwork", not as to what it is.

Edited by - Kyrene on 26 May 2010 18:12:36
    Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
    Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  18:51:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Kyrene, if I were you, I'd just ask Ed in his thread.
    I can tell you from my Realms experience that "armsman" means a guard or soldier of low rank, "farscry" refers to magical surveillance from beyond sight limits, "crazed-wits" is correct but a singular term (plural would be "they're all crazed-wits") [[with "mad-wits" as an equivalent]], a "festhall" is usually a little more than a brothel (minstrelcy occurs :} and some use them as houses for bathing, clothes-washing and repair, relaxing, etc.), "lackwit" is an archaic real-world word used just as it was in the real world; "blandreth" is right but a "great blandreth" ALWAYS has three legs (or it's just a cauldron) but isn't ALWAYS hung on a frame (for example, if it's over a dug-down fire pit). "Mageling" is right but "upperpriest and "underpriest" are based on temple rank, not age or experience (and are collective terms of PERCEPTION, not necessarily correct reality), "lackspell" is a derogatory term for a weak or novice or sloppy wizard, and "swordwork" is fighting with a sword and the handling of a sword for combat purposes.
    Hope these help. Remember, for Realms purposes, Ed = a citation.
    love,
    THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 26 May 2010 18:52:50
    Go to Top of Page

althen artren
    Senior Scribe

USA
    780 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  20:55:34  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Sage Reckoning?
    I though that was when anybody unauthorized touched
    the half-elven dancing girls?
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  01:11:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by althen artren

Sage Reckoning?
    I though that was when anybody unauthorized touched
    the half-elven dancing girls?

'Tis an unofficial term coined by scribe D-brane, as I recall:-
    quote:
    Sage Reckoning: An archaic dating system used by the monks and scribes of Candlekeep to record the amount of time that has passed since the Sage of Perth's last completed project for the great library.
    I wouldn't mind seeing it make its way into official Realmslore, of course, perhaps as a system developed by the [Krash-generated] sage Operth?

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  08:03:01  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Hooded One

Kyrene, if I were you, I'd just ask Ed in his thread.

Hope these help. Remember, for Realms purposes, Ed = a citation.
    love,
    THO

Milady,

Ed is a busy, busy, BUSY man though. As I mentioned above, I will ask in his thread in the foreseeable future. And thank you very much for your notes! They will be used to ammend what I have, before asking Ed for citations.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
    Senior Scribe

USA
    624 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2010 :  16:35:28  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Kyrene: in the 'lackspell' versus 'Mageling' my feeling on the two is that 'lackspell' is derogatory, whereas 'mageling' is merely condescending (if coming from a more powerful mage) or descriptive (i.e. discussing a group of mages' relative power "Sememmon, now he's a spellslinger of power, not like those magelings you've been facing').

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
    Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2010 :  08:20:52  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Kyrene: in the 'lackspell' versus 'Mageling' my feeling on the two is that 'lackspell' is derogatory, whereas 'mageling' is merely condescending (if coming from a more powerful mage) or descriptive (i.e. discussing a group of mages' relative power "Sememmon, now he's a spellslinger of power, not like those magelings you've been facing').

I think you are correct, but I'd still like Ed's take on it. And thanks, that reminds me to look up "spellslinger."

Go to Top of Page

rjfras
    Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  14:41:06  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    June 28, 2007:

Ed replies:

low-coin lasses

high-coin girls (obviously, this term and the preceding one refer to rates charged - - and, usually, "quality of presentation," which is to say: to charge high rates, a female usually has to be pretty if not beautiful, actress enough to enjoy her work and to portray what the client wants [from fear to innocence to tenderness, and a liking for whatever the client's preferences are], to be clean and provocatively dressed, and to operate in less than squalid surroundings)

From the meaning under high-coin, you can see that it refers to low-coin as being the rates charged
    Go to Top of Page

rjfras
    Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  14:49:33  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Dragon Magazine 70: The Smith by Ed Greenwood

Smith (“Finesmith’): Knowledge of the properties and the working of gold and other rare and precious metals is learned by one becoming a Finesmith. Jewelry requiring intricate settings, much curved and welded wire, and the sculpting of leaves or patterns, usually in miniature, is almost always made by a smith of this level or higher, or at least under the supervision of such a smith. Work not done under these conditions will be of lesser quality. A Finesmith learns how to securely bond a plating or coating of one metal over another, which metals will interact through electrolysis, and how all finework can be designed and treated for maximum strength and weather resistance. Gauntlets of the finest quality are made by smiths of
    this level and higher.

Kyrene, are you editing your list so we know which ones you still need? and the one in the Ask Ed section, are you updating that one, so THO knows which ones to ask about still and which ones she can remove to save time?

Edited by - rjfras on 05 Jun 2010 14:53:29
    Go to Top of Page

rjfras
    Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  15:01:18  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    you have THO's info from her time in Ed's game ""lackspell" is a derogatory term for a weak or novice or sloppy wizard"

quote:
    Volo's Guide to Waterdeep by Ed Greenwood, pg 200

Elminster reveals that the beefy order clerk is one Aglatha Shrey (her size is due to half-ogre blood), and the mage who teleports goods into the shop is one Beradyx Halfwinter, a fat and lazy lackspell (weak) wizard.

and there is confirmation in Ed's book

Edited by - rjfras on 05 Jun 2010 15:04:15
    Go to Top of Page

rjfras
    Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  15:07:39  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Code of the Harpers by Ed Greenwood, pg 6

Crazies (or as they're known in the Realms, "moon-witted"
    Go to Top of Page

rjfras
    Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  15:14:48  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    just out of curiosity, where did "light stone" come from? Where did you see it that it is on your list? I know there was an example of a low power artifact called a light stone from Dragon 207 which was basically a stone that when light was cast on it would increase the duration of the light spell to one year.

Also "fielding" where did this come from? Is it used in some way other then in the context of fielding questions or fielding an army?

Edited by - rjfras on 05 Jun 2010 15:33:55
    Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    716 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2010 :  11:23:43  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by rjfras

From the meaning under high-coin, you can see that it refers to low-coin as being the rates charged
    Yes, and no. "High-coin lass/girl" and "low-coin lass/girl" are two very specific uses of "high-coin" and "low-coin". I have come across others for "high-coin" specifically, but not for "low-coin", and therefore I'm not going to go assuming too much. I'd rather let Ed, or a proper quote (like your ones for "finesmith" and "lackspell") guide me.
    quote:

Kyrene, are you editing your list so we know which ones you still need? and the one in the Ask Ed section, are you updating that one, so THO knows which ones to ask about still and which ones she can remove to save time?
    No, and no somewhat. What I usually do when there's more than one source is combine it in the Glossary. That way we get the most Realmslore for our buck in the Glossary too.
    quote:

just out of curiosity, where did "light stone" come from? Where did you see it that it is on your list? I know there was an example of a low power artifact called a light stone from Dragon 207 which was basically a stone that when light was cast on it would increase the duration of the light spell to one year.

Also "fielding" where did this come from? Is it used in some way other then in the context of fielding questions or fielding an army?
    Both of those came from scribe Faraer's list in the 5 year old Realmspeak scroll that started me off on this crusade. I've contacted him/her about it, but thusfar to no avail. And I've managed to trim that list down to what was asked in Ed's scroll, before asking it in Ed's scroll. To save time and so on...

Edited by - Kyrene on 07 Jun 2010 08:52:05
    Go to Top of Page
      Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000