Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 FR books in German???
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  21:03:01  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, that explains some things...
Let's just hope you get some contracts

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  21:25:17  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Romaal

@Aglaranna - I think the German Market is a lot of bigger than the Russian one for FR novels. Sry, but I don't think that many FR novels would be translated into Russian.

@Lameth - I'am just reading the "Rückkehr des Dunkelelfs" triology and the translation isn't bad at all. As I can remember, the avatar triology was really really bad translated.

Thats because of the different Verlage. Feder & Schwert translated very bad in the past, but now they got it.
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  21:31:57  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn`t know that there are so many german speaking users on the board.

HOODYHOO!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  22:24:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have heard that the F&S translation of the Counselors & Kings trilogy is not particularly strong. A shame, considering that one of the people who applied for the translation job was a PhD candidate in linguistics, a native German who spoke English so well I thought she was British. On top of that, she was a gamer who knew the Realms. Great gal--she was my translator/babysitter the year I went to Fantasy Spiel Fest in Bransfel.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  22:54:56  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about german, but french translation (under the name "Fleuve noir") is Horrible! One english page can be summarized in a short french paragraph

To add to the insult, the names that are difficult to pronounce in english are "translated in french".

Some of my favorites examples :
Elminster -> Églisorme (only in the old grey box I think)
Bane -> Fléau
Silverymoon -> Luneargent
Dragonbait -> Chair à dragon

Edited by - Skeptic on 20 Nov 2006 22:59:28
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  12:31:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

I don't know about german, but french translation (under the name "Fleuve noir") is Horrible! One english page can be summarized in a short french paragraph

To add to the insult, the names that are difficult to pronounce in english are "translated in french".

Some of my favorites examples :
Elminster -> Églisorme (only in the old grey box I think)
Bane -> Fléau
Silverymoon -> Luneargent
Dragonbait -> Chair à dragon

The Flueve Noir translations are very short, and often read more like Cliff Note summaries than novels. One head-shaker was the climactic battle between Liriel and Gorlist in Daughter of the Drow, which was reduced to a single line: "Gorlist prepared to deliver the coup de grace..." And don't get me started on the French translation of the singing sword's song in Elfsong. That was transformed from mildly bawdy to outright obscene. My response was, "Wait a minute--didn't these people INVENT the double entendre?"

On the other hand, the Polish translator for Windwalker was meticulous, and the only translator who contacted me with questions about name translations and specific word choices. He also caught a few minor things in the book that got by the WotC copyeditor.

As to the German, I can't judge. I only read a little German, and then with a lot of help from a dictionery. But after the new year, I'll be starting a fairly intensive study of the language in preparation for a) a summer trip and b) a graduate degree in history.
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  13:45:33  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite translation from English into German is "Dove Falconhand". It was translated 1:1 "Taube Falkenhand", which also means "numb falconhand".
From what I've heard, Richard Lee Byers' "The Year of Rogue Dragons" trilogy isn't that bad (probably because the names of the protagonists are left as they are ).

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  16:41:13  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart

My favorite translation from English into German is "Dove Falconhand". It was translated 1:1 "Taube Falkenhand", which also means "numb falconhand".
From what I've heard, Richard Lee Byers' "The Year of Rogue Dragons" trilogy isn't that bad (probably because the names of the protagonists are left as they are ).

Lol, Numb Falconhand, never thaught of it. But why should I translate a translated name back to the original language? *g*
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  16:42:46  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As to the German, I can't judge. I only read a little German, and then with a lot of help from a dictionery. But after the new year, I'll be starting a fairly intensive study of the language in preparation for a) a summer trip and b) a graduate degree in history.

Do you have every of your translated books at home?

Edited by - Lameth on 21 Nov 2006 16:43:31
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  16:53:24  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lameth

quote:

Do you have every of your translated books at home?

I have the German translations, yes, and quite a few in other languages, but I don't have a copy of every book in every language. There are over ninety of them, all told. My FR books have been translated into Spanish, French, Italian, German, Polish, Croatian, Finnish, Greek, Turkish, Hungarian, Chinese, and Hebrew. I have heard rumors of Russian and Danish translations, as well, but have not been able to verify.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 21 Nov 2006 16:57:23
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  19:05:41  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have heard rumors of Russian and Danish translations, as well, but have not been able to verify.

I don`t think that you will ever find a translation into danish. But I´ll see if I can get some infos about it.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  21:55:31  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

German is a bitch to learn even for native speakers, you would not believe how many people who grew up here still don't get it right.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  22:40:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:

German is a bitch to learn even for native speakers, you would not believe how many people who grew up here still don't get it right.

Oh, I believe it. People who grow up in the US don't necessarily get English right.

But I agree that German is a difficult language. I don't expect to ever become truly fluent. It would be very helpful, though, to be able to read and write it.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 22 Nov 2006 00:33:35
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  10:38:11  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:

Oh, I believe it. People who grow up in the US don't necessarily get English right.

But I agree that German is a difficult language. I don't expect to ever become truly fluent. It would be very helpful, though, to be able to read and write it.

Best of luck with the German, and of course enjoy your trip through germany. I can only hope that you are not only traveling through the big cities, like Hamburg, Berlin, Munich as most visiters from the states seem to do. Not that those cities have no charms at all. The think though is, you really miss out on the beautiful and differenciated countryside that germany has to offer. All I can speak for is - visit any of the little islands in the North sea. Its really worth it, especially in the summertime.

Will it be a vacation or are you coming to germany to do business, a book signing and/or reading tour? For your 2007 release Best of the Realms: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham maybe?

Anyhow, good luck with learning german as well as the NaNoWriMo Challenge. May both projects progress well.

Thanks for chimming in on this thread.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  11:40:31  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The purpose of this trip is fulfilling a lifelong dream. My mother always wanted to travel, but my father, who was born in Poland and had no desire to return to Europe afer the war, was simply not interested. The summer before last I took her to Ireland--a driving trip, mostly, because she has limited mobility. This limits her travel options, so she's thinking about one of the packaged tours, possibly a Rhine river cruise. Even that much she couldn't manage without assistance, which is where I come in. I won't have much time for either business or exploration.

But I agree with your point about getting off the tourist track, if at all possible. I've been to Germany only once, and that was to attend a convention held in Braunsfel. Absolutely beautiful town.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  13:11:47  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehehe, maybe, when you finally can read the German conversions of your books you can kick some people into doing better work...

I wish editors would go back to nurturing writers, and even translators... takes more time but we'd have more stories worth reading

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  16:37:51  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I have heard rumors of Russian and Danish translations, as well, but have not been able to verify.

I don`t think that you will ever find a translation into danish. But I´ll see if I can get some infos about it.

This is the answer, sorry Elaine....

I have just been examining this and as far as I can find out there is not a Danish translation.
Please contact me again, if I can help with anything.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  08:57:21  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The purpose of this trip is fulfilling a lifelong dream. My mother always wanted to travel, but my father, who was born in Poland and had no desire to return to Europe afer the war, was simply not interested. The summer before last I took her to Ireland--a driving trip, mostly, because she has limited mobility. This limits her travel options, so she's thinking about one of the packaged tours, possibly a Rhine river cruise. Even that much she couldn't manage without assistance, which is where I come in. I won't have much time for either business or exploration.

But I agree with your point about getting off the tourist track, if at all possible. I've been to Germany only once, and that was to attend a convention held in Braunsfel. Absolutely beautiful town.

Concerning "Getting off the tourist Track": I think a Rhein river cruise is a great thing to do - especially for elderly people. And the landscape is marvelous with little keeps and castles or the ruins that are left of them dotting the hills left and right the river bank. I have been in that area already, but by car. I heard the sights from the river are even better. So you should have a great time there, even thugh it might not be an action packed adventure!
As for the islands I mentioned - you have to come back for those some other time then!

So again - enjoy your trip. Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  14:15:52  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have just been examining this and as far as I can find out there is not a Danish translation.Please contact me again, if I can help with anything.

Thanks for looking!

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  15:16:09  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Danish and German are very similar...but then you'd be stuck with the crappy German translation... stick with English ;)

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2009 :  20:51:23  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've a question which is not really about German FR books but about FR and German languge.

Could any (German) scribe give me any advice about a (good !) FR German forum ? I need to improve my Gemran language and I'd like to begin with cool and motivating discussing !

Danke sehr.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  04:40:57  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I've a question which is not really about German FR books but about FR and German languge.

Could any (German) scribe give me any advice about a (good !) FR German forum ? I need to improve my Gemran language and I'd like to begin with cool and motivating discussing !

Danke sehr.

From my perception most German FR forums are usually more into the FR computer RPGs. Even though the German market for translated FR novels is probably not too small, you will find most dedicated (and thus posting) Realms addicts in English speaking forums (as most insists you should read the books in its original language), while German RPG fans who want to stick more to German language might probably focus more to DSA (The Dark Eye), which is quite popular and successful there.

-

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

O Love
Acolyte

Germany
49 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  18:37:45  Show Profile  Visit O Love's Homepage Send O Love a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could head over to our [RPG]Board (shameless plug ). But, as skychrome already said, it mainly deals in CRPGs (the whole Black Isle games, for instance). There is also a fantasy subboard to discuss FR events (only a handful threads), but any dedicated German FR fan will read his/her books in English. If you are in into games, you are most welcome...
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  20:28:14  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to both of you Skychrome and O-love. I'll try my chance asap.

O-love, are you the admin of o-love.net ? yes ? Bravo for your website ! I'm used to consult date in it ! and thanks again for that !

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

O Love
Acolyte

Germany
49 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  21:20:18  Show Profile  Visit O Love's Homepage Send O Love a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am. I am also one of the admins of the above mentioned board. So drop me a PM over there if you need any help...
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  21:30:38  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by O Love

Yes, I am. I am also one of the admins of the above mentioned board. So drop me a PM over there if you need any help...

Thanks a lot O-love
I Will.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000