Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 1372 to 1374 FR Timeline: A work in progress
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  17:21:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

On a sidenote, are half-dragons or were-dragons actually subjected to the Rage? Or does it only affects "true dragons"?

Were-dragons are song dragons. They were affected. And I don't see why half-dragons wouldn't be affected, though certainly not quite to the same extent as true dragons. I'd say they'd be constantly edgy and prone to anger, and would maybe, regardless of class, wind up in barbarian-type rages if they did let go.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  20:04:19  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

On a sidenote, are half-dragons or were-dragons actually subjected to the Rage? Or does it only affects "true dragons"?

Were-dragons are song dragons. They were affected. And I don't see why half-dragons wouldn't be affected, though certainly not quite to the same extent as true dragons. I'd say they'd be constantly edgy and prone to anger, and would maybe, regardless of class, wind up in barbarian-type rages if they did let go.

If memory serves me right, one of the stories in Realms of the Dragons was about a half-dragon having to cope with the Rage.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  01:43:26  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

1) The WOSQ novels lasted only 6 months and during that time the Drow Dragons where able to resist the rage (they may well have fallen to the rage after the events of Book 6)

2) The WoSQ takes around 12 months and the Drow Dragons have developed a counter to the rage and are unaffected by Sammasters rage in 1373 (Im not a fan of this idea as it adds another "get out of Rage free card" to setting)

I'm actually fine with Faezress interfering with the effects of the Mythal, thus causing some dragons in the underdark to be able to resist the Rage better than their surface cousins.

Also, the main drow dragon that we see active during the whole series is Nimor. The others we see in Chaulssin near the begining of the series, and in Ched Nassad's ruins towards the end of the series. Its entirely possible that they are spending a lot of time in the Plane of Shadows during this time, thus limiting the amount of time they actually are exposed to the mythal's effects, and coupled with the faezress theory, this could have made the rage less of a factor for them.

Now, if any dragons figure out that Rage is going on, and that faerzress interferes with it (though perhaps doesn't fully block it), I imagine that a lot of faezress sites came under serious contention during this time period.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  18:15:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the feedback. This is very helpful.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  08:50:00  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be grateful if one of the designers could leak at least the date of her "official" return in advance of any book. Don't think this will hurt the selling numbers and I would assume that those in power at the Wizards will not object.

Maybe a web-enhancement to CotSQ or F&P would do the trick, and more quickly than another book.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  18:31:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

- Arrival somewhere in the Abyss and travel to the entry to the old Demonwebs - major problem, as we are given no clue on the length of the journey, nor can we actually guess, how much time passes by on Faerūn - xx days (Chapter 23 WotSQ V)

- Demonwebs ... same again, we have no clue how long they travel from the entrance of the Demonweb to the temple of Lolth. Then again, Pharaun might have used a teleport spell, as he has been to the place before - xx days

- at the entrance to the temple there is a discussion - guessed stay 1 day

- venture into the temple and the "city" beyond - hard to distinguish anything in here. Given the place dwarved Menzo (their standard of measure), one may assume that they needed 1 or 2 days to get to the fallen spider construct temple (Chapter 24 WotSQ V)

In there, the Silence ends. (Chapter 26, WotSQ V)

I reckon that 27 days have surely passed, while the stay in the Abyss and later on in the Demonweb is somewhat edgy.

Wow! I'm very impressed by all this research and reasoning.

I don't mean to throw another wrench into the process (and perhaps this has already been addressed), but I know that time flows differently on some planes than on others -- is this the case in Lolth's new Demonweb Pits?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  20:55:52  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
Wow! I'm very impressed by all this research and reasoning.

I don't mean to throw another wrench into the process (and perhaps this has already been addressed), but I know that time flows differently on some planes than on others -- is this the case in Lolth's new Demonweb Pits?

Cheers

Hello!

Well, it wasn't that difficult, since I just flipped through the other chapters

But you are right. When the drow return to the temple entrance, the very place they have been only days before, it seems to them that it has been empty for about 1000 years. Thatswhy I noted the Abyss and Demonweb timeline as the problem here. I would not overstretch this though - if anyone was asking me, that is - and gave a good 30 days on top of what I collected in "real" data. The holding line here is that the other chapters, at least the one happening in Menzo, do not stretch on for dozens of days or months after the siege began (more or less at same time of the fight between Selvetarm and Vhaeraun) and ends (Dyrr fighting Gromph). So there is a frame we can hang on for FR time too.

BTW, this different time flow in the Abyss could also explain why there has not been any mentioning of Lolth's planar shift in core material so far. (If we go that far and try to explain in-game things with logic, things which could otherwise be easily adressed in a new sourcebook.)

NB: Lest I forget, Ghostwalker was a real treat!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 20 Nov 2006 20:59:56
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  17:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

NB: Lest I forget, Ghostwalker was a real treat!

Thanks! Though I wasn't fishing for any compliments.

If you'd like to discuss it or give me any feedback at any time, that would be wonderful. Either here on the boards or drop me an email: erikscottdebie AT yahoo.com

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu
Fellaren-Krae Co-ordinator

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  20:52:50  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is by far, the most informative forum post i've seen in awhile. Lets talk about crib notes for novels I can't get in my bookstores!!!!
congrats on the fine detailing work.

Lucian "The Bringer" Barasu
Fellaren Krae Project Co-Ordinator

"Why do you cry?"
"He is Conan, Cimmerian. He won't cry... So I cry for him."
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  16:47:07  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vendui again!

Well, I did a re-read of WotSQ IV & V with regard to the timelines of the other main characters, but in all honesty, they are even more imprecise than the one I gave above. At least with regard to the end of it all. My impression though is, that the Silence was actually shorter rather than longer, i.e. the time which has passed since the last official date (16 Uktar (11) 1372) was at least 27 days, but more likely not much more than 40 in total. I leave the total amount of days which passed during the Silence for others to calculate though.

I hope this helps.

Aluve, Zanan!

PS: Has there been any response from the Wizards whether they intend to spell some light on the Timeline and/or events during the Silence in any upcoming book, web-enhancement, or the like?

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Edited by - Zanan on 30 Nov 2006 16:53:51
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Heppe
Seeker

Germany
62 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  16:43:07  Show Profile Send Alexander Heppe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Dargoth

Are you going to update your lists anytime soon? I suppose that the events detailed in Cormyr - Tearing of the Weave and Shadowdale - Scouring of the Land would make perfect additions. And it would help those of us who would like to advance their timeline (skipping a few years inbetween) so that they can play in the year 1375.

Thanks so far for this really good topic.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  23:36:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you should wait for the release of "Grand History of the Realms" and then build off that.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  00:49:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Heppe

@Dargoth

Are you going to update your lists anytime soon? I suppose that the events detailed in Cormyr - Tearing of the Weave and Shadowdale - Scouring of the Land would make perfect additions. And it would help those of us who would like to advance their timeline (skipping a few years inbetween) so that they can play in the year 1375.

Thanks so far for this really good topic.

Im currently waiting for Grand History of the realms to be released

How Grand History of the realms has been written (Particularly the years since 1372)will affect how I write the next update

If Brian and the other GHotR authors have included a detailed timeline of the last few realms years (ie something similar to what Ive done here) then I may well write future updates assuming that the readers own the published GHotR and roll on from there. Another thing that will affect a future update is at what date WoTC cut GHotR off at (Both real world and realms) For example GHotR may not have included the 2nd book in both Paul Kemps and Lisa Smedmans trilogy (both trilogies contain realms shaking events)

So at present the timeline thread is waiting on GHotR

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  02:13:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grand History will provide a month by month break down of every major event from the Year of Wild Magic (1372 DR) through the Year of Risen Elfkin (1375 DR).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  11:48:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Make that day by day, month by month. And yes, Paul Kemp's latest novel will feature in the events.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  16:52:39  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Day by day, you say? That's even better. Especially for those of us who prefer such Realms minutiae!

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 07 Aug 2007 16:53:31
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2007 :  00:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's becaus i'm dumb, but i don't understand to what are refering the numbers before the event...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2007 :  05:01:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

The events in the novel Darkvision
From the authors forum, when I asked about Darkvision -

quote:
Originally posted by BruceCordell

Actually, the bulk of the novel takes place in Spring, 1374 DR. No date is provided for the prologue :-)

Hope that helps.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2007 :  10:03:28  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Akeri Rualuavain

Maybe it's becaus i'm dumb, but i don't understand to what are refering the numbers before the event...

Well, good lady, I doubt that you are dumb. In my eyes that is a proper question, as any question is always a proper one. To answer it: the numbers stand for the actual day of the month. As today is the 18th of Nov.

(e.g. 18: Ergdusch replied to your post!)

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 18 Nov 2007 10:06:42
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  02:44:11  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha ok ! thanks very mush !!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000