Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Doubt about Athkatla
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Varda
Acolyte

Argentina
11 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2007 :  08:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Varda's Homepage Send Varda a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, i have a doubt about Athkatla's background, and i couldn't find information in my Forgotten Realms books (and in the internet i only found info about the Baldur's Gate II...). Well, i was looking for information about magic in Athkatla. I know that magic is "forbbiden" in some way, but i'm confused about the info i got at the Baldur's Gate II about the Cowled Wizards. I dind't obtain so much information about that organization in the book "Land s of Intrigue". What books you recommend about Amn and Athkatla? Exists some school of magic in the capital city? (or something like that?). I appreciate your help, thanks.

Define the nature of the universe. Knowledge must be absolute or chaos will envelop all. The elemental forces of the universe must not be left to the caprices of the unknown

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2007 :  09:17:32  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would recommend the old FR3 supplement Empire of Sands to understand the view of magic in Amn and the cowled wizards.

There is no school of magic in Athkatla due to the restriction on magic. It is only the Cowled Wizards who practice magic.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  01:31:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, if I recall correctly, the Cowled Wizards aren't affliated with the Amnian government as they are in BG2.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  02:15:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be clear, the depiction of the Cowled Wizards in Baldur's Gate II is competely inauthentic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  02:18:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for lore on Athkatla beyond what was published in Lands of Intrigue... see Ed's comprehensive coverage in the Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II tome.

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Nov 2007 02:19:11
Go to Top of Page

Varda
Acolyte

Argentina
11 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  05:36:41  Show Profile  Visit Varda's Homepage Send Varda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks por your help. But i've a new doubt. It seems that i cannot take the information about oficial games such as Baldur's Gate saga or Neverwinter nights as oficial information. Is it true? It is very confusing (and difficult) sometimes to look for urban descriptions (including social costums) of some cities. I'm writing something for my Neverwinter Nights RPG community and i'm completely lost :p. Thanks for your help again, i will take a look the old FR books.

Define the nature of the universe. Knowledge must be absolute or chaos will envelop all. The elemental forces of the universe must not be left to the caprices of the unknown
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  05:55:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Varda

Thanks por your help. But i've a new doubt. It seems that i cannot take the information about oficial games such as Baldur's Gate saga or Neverwinter nights as oficial information. Is it true? It is very confusing (and difficult) sometimes to look for urban descriptions (including social costums) of some cities. I'm writing something for my Neverwinter Nights RPG community and i'm completely lost :p. Thanks for your help again, i will take a look the old FR books.

Unless the material from the games has shown up in sourcebooks/novels/Dragon/Dungeon, then it's usually not considered official canon. The BG events are since they have novels and or other material written about them. I believe some of the other games have passages about them now as well, which is in the Grand History.

However, that doesn't stop you from adding the plots from the computer games into your FR.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  06:34:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I believe some of the other games have passages about them now as well, which is in the Grand History.
Undrentide was marked on one of the maps in Grand History. And the Wailing Death is apparently canon now, given it's reference in Grand History, under the 1372 DR entry. I don't recall there being an entry for Hordes of the Underdark. And I remember Brian suggesting that may be due to the ending of the expansion being difficult to canonise.

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Nov 2007 06:39:11
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  23:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

However, that doesn't stop you from adding the plots from the computer games into your FR.

Very true. The computer games, in my opinion, tend to have a great Realmsian atmosphere even if they don't always get official lore quite right. And yes, they also tend to have some memorable plotlines and quests.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  23:59:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I don't recall there being an entry for Hordes of the Underdark.

Yeah, Brian said there wasn't one. That was disappointing for me, but oh well.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000